• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMA with Aliens Colonial Marines tester [verified]

Avallon

Poster is still awaiting verification, so we'll see if this is legit, but it's still interesting.

Sheds some light on what went wrong with the game
Gearbox didnt care about the game, they spent the money from acm on the borderlands games. Look at the release dates of borderlands and when aliens was anounced, they had the other companies like timegate do the work. When they got the game back timegate had done a terrible job. When it came into sega it was shit basicaly. Gearbox only cared about fixing 'progression blockers' (things that stop a player from getting through a level) or crashes.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18ndgq/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

verified_zps7637dd5a.png

Gearbox didnt care about the game, they spent the money from acm on the borderlands games. Look at the release dates of borderlands and when aliens was anounced, they had the other companies like timegate do the work. When they got the game back timegate had done a terrible job. When it came into sega it was shit basicaly. Gearbox only cared about fixing 'progression blockers' (things that stop a player from getting through a level) or crashes.

1. Sega was at fault by not being vigilant enough...by the time they detected Gearbox's bullshit, it was too late

2. Sega should bleed Gearbox dry. These kinds of tactics are absolutely abhorrent.

Derrick01

Banned
1. Sega was at fault by not being vigilant enough...by the time they detected Gearbox's bullshit, it was too late

2. Sega should bleed Gearbox dry. These kinds of tactics are absolutely abhorrent.

Sega seems to have a history of being a somewhat incompetent publisher. As much as I love Obsidian, Sega did sort of let them waffle through a lengthy part of the development phase when they had no idea what game they wanted to make. Most publishers probably would have pulled the plug at that point before sinking millions more into it.

jwk94 said:
Did borderlands 2 leave room for a sequel?

It left room open for about 40 sequels if you want to take the ending literally.

There was a while there between Borderlands 1 and 2 when I was really high on Gearbox.

Looking back I guess they just got real lucky with Borderlands 1.

JDSN

Banned
SEGA is incredibly lax when it comes to publisher pressure, I think its due their western studios being extremely competent and capable of doing a lot with little budget, it probably comes as a shock to deal with complete incompetent shady cunts. Its funny (in a dark way) to picture SEGA suits cancelling Obsidian's Alien RPG on account of them being hard to manage...only to continue giving cash to Gearbox.

I wonder if he knows anything about the Wii U version.

I asked him about it. He just posted a response:

Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a 'scanner' to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat 'optimal'. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don't know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

I have to second the question: How would a lowly tester know what the company is spending money on? I am suspicious of this AMA.

He shouldn't, but it's not the first time that this has popped up. If there's any truth to it then i'd expect Sega to go after Gearbox hard. Especially since they chose Aliens as one of the 4 franchises that they'd focus on going forward.

Avallon

Do you guys think that this would have been such a big deal if it were a new IP and not based on Aliens?

Meelow

Banned
I asked him about it. He just posted a response:

So Randy lied to us, and the game is terrible everywhere? Wow...

And I thought Gearbox actually cared.

And I am guessing canning the game would be because of the reputation the game is getting now, huh?

Avallon

UPDATE: Wow I am getting demolished by downvotes. I thought this might be of interest, especially on gaming? I have contacted the mods. I can't just post verification as I may be sued, I don't currently work for Sega (but kind of do, it's a long story). I have played the WiiU version, and all the DLC content too.

Not sure what to believe now.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh wow. Yes okay. I was hoping someone would ask this. I have played the WiiU version. The one that is supposedly the best of all of them? It is not. It is the worst. It is a bit of a joke. The WiiU is basically the same game as the console version but with framerate issues, worse texture loading, and horrendously misguided minigames thrown in. You get a 'scanner' to scan enemies and get bonus points that aid your harming them. When you cut open doors (which happens a lot in the game) you have a game where you have to keep the heat 'optimal'. They just add frustration, and take away even more from the fun. We don't know if it will come out, Sega are conisdering canceling it, but right now its still going.

Oh wow... OH WOW.

Just nuke it, Sega, people won't be upset about this one.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think it's better to wait a bit until that guy posts verification. But if true, Sega shouldn't leave this alone.

prag16

Banned
That's worrying. The mini games sound dreadful.

Texture loading issues? I don't think any of the other crappy launch ports had this issue (except maybe Batman in a few spots).

So far he hasn't said anything that a random attention whore poser could've have cobbled together based on the rest of the news and leaks thus far. We'll see if he ends up being verified as credible by the mods...

AHA-Lambda

How much money did Sega waste on this games development?

And when did Sega realise there was a point of no return and the game wasn't going to get any better? I would have thought, they'd have realised this sooner given it's announcement in 2008.

PS: Will sega sue gearbox?

Many tens of millions. Including marketing. Think over forty, nearer sixty. Sega only got it for test mid last year. The seniors really fucked it up, they saw gearbx as being an amzing company and thought they had borderlans with aliens. They didnt think to check on it.

Yes, there will be legal ramiffications.

Dayum!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Texture loading issues? I don't think any of the other crappy launch ports had this issue (except maybe Batman in a few spots).

So far he hasn't said anything that a random attention whore poser could've have cobbled together based on the rest of the news and leaks thus far. We'll see if he ends up being verified as credible by the mods...

Not sure he'd want to get sued over a lie. What he says as to be the truth, otherwise he is a very stupid person.

Top Bottom