• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 1.5 Leaked

randomwab

So, a bit of background. A team of hackers obtained an incomplete build of the legendary scrapped version of Resident Evil 2, and are working to finish it. However, it seems like a build of their restoration project leaked to someone in the Resident Evil community, who then proceeded to try and sell it around. Due to this, the team have released the same build.

Their "Press Release" of sorts, via The Horror is Alive.

This here is an ISO of our work in progress build of the Resident Evil 1.5 restoration project. It is not representative of the current state of development of the non-profit restoration fan-project. For updates on that, please see the bottom of the file for suggested locations to monitor things or visit the YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBZork

The build you now have downloaded is a bit of an unstable mess. The instability mainly comes from a tiny experiment we were running on this very build and the build itself had the joke name "Magic Zombie Door". It's an old build and in no way representative of the current state of missing room implementation, restoration of broken elements, or addition of new content.

Many of the features you see in the build, as explained in our making of videos, comes from injecting pieces of C code that adds features and functionality that was broken, missing, or otherwise needed. There's a terrible bug we internally called "Air Jesus" present in this build, a legacy issue from the vanilla build, where inspecting objects will often cause ... undesirable results. This bug has since been fixed, but is currently present in this build. While, technically, the load feature works, the save feature's brokenness makes it pretty useless. These are also features that're fixed and will be working in the final release. There are also many stability issues that causes the game to crash or otherwise misbehave, most of these have since been fixed too. So unless there's a very Konami Code-esque approach to how you trigger a randomized and reproducable bug, please don't lose your breath attempting to report bugs to us.

Resident Evil and the Biohazard are property of Capcom. The project is an unofficial fan-effort, entirely non-profit, comparative to such other fan efforts as Street Fighter x Megaman, Megaman X Corrupted, Dark Biohazard, various modifications to other Resident Evil titles, and so forth. All with purpose and intents of a non-profit nature, and rooted entirely within what most would consider fair use and the healthier side of fandom - aimed exclusively at providing fellow fans with a glimpse into a world that once could've been and to enable them to revisit the world of Survival Horror once more in the way only the 90s could, whilst at the same time showing our own love and support to a franchise, platform, and decade we hold dear.

Download: Resident Evil 1.5 - Work In Progress Build (Magic Zombie Door) <- Please see Readme.txt on disc or above.

Miracles do happen, I guess. If that link is against the rules, please let me know and I'll remove it Mods.

randomwab

Seems very, very buggy. For anyone trying it out, Select will bring up the debug menu and let you room jump. Seems that it's the only way to get into some rooms on the build.

Also, in the item menu, Select will activate debug, and L1 and R1 will cycle weapons/ammo/items.

Edit: The Umbrella factory is pretty god damn fantastic. Wow.

dab0ne

This is cool but until there is an official release I'm not touching it. I would rather speculate on what could have been.

Edit: who am I kidding? I love RE more than my morals. Shamelessly gonna download this.

Hopefully capcom leave this alone.

Its a shame they have had to come clean and fully announce it because in the event a C&D does hit then the only thing the public will ever get is this build.

If it was secret up until its launch then even with a C&D it would be out in the wild.

I've waited this long, why not a bit longer? I would kick myself in the future if I ruin what could be an awesome experience by playing an illegitimate version.

kunonabi

Don't get it... Why redo RE2? It's a finished game.

The original version of RE2 was much different than the final one. Many of us believe that a finished RE1.5 would have been leagues better and have been dying to play it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Very cool! But I think I might wait for their finished version. Gotta buy a CD-R anyway..

Yeah this is a big fucking deal. Was wondering when it'd end up getting out. Important slice of history here.

Though I dunno about people thinking this would have been better. Isn't RE2, like, the PS1's best game or something? I'm sure they had damn good reasons to start over.

FourMyle

This is really cool but too bad I don't care about RE games that much. Would be amazing if someone could get their hands on True Fantasy Live Online and get it running on the Xbox. That game was also near completion. In fact, it was pretty much done IIRC.

kunonabi

Yeah this is a big fucking deal. Was wondering when it'd end up getting out. Important slice of history here.

Though I dunno about people thinking this would have been better. Isn't RE2, like, the PS1's best game or something? I'm sure they had damn good reasons to start over.

Not really. RE1.5 was far more progressive in terms of mechanics than RE2. The new things re2 tried weren't implemented that well either. Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire. The atmosphere also looked much better since it actually looked like a police station instead of that retrofitted art museum bullshit we got with RE2.

BocoDragon

Not really. RE1.5 was far more progressive in terms of mechanics than RE2. The new things re2 tried weren't implemented that well either. Elza Walker was also much much better character design than Claire. The atmosphere also looked much better since it actually looked like a police station instead of that retrofitted art museum bullshit we got with RE2.
"The grass is always greener on the other side"...?

RE2 had an amazing atmosphere and experience for its day. If its an either/or thing, I wouldn't wish for 1.5 at the expense of RE2.

But oh yes ... I want to see what 1.5 would have been...

It is. But for historical gaming purposes it is nice though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, this is just a debug "fuck around in the engine" thing? You can't play it start to (non-)finish? :(

I'll just wait for the complete thing instead of trying out this beta version, hopefully they don't CAD this when they get close to completing the real thing

BocoDragon

So its basically a fan hack? Worthless :S
It's a fan hack to make the unreleased game playable.

If you really want the unedited code of the original ISO, I'm sure it will get out there :p

to be frank that all just sounds like you don't really like RE2 that much

but you might have hated this way more for all you know, regardless of how much you like what's on paper

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://minus.com/mbgMDm4i1Cpgux

i0tUo9he2PShT.jpg

ipO86MmA72YZ8.jpg

ibiKUa7rUiM1oo.jpg

ibbdVViLECIgEF.jpg

iZrPRHSxLSPPp.jpg

izAXuIiRawWJQ.jpg

Myriadis

So, a bit of background. A team of hackers obtained an incomplete build of the legendary scrapped version of Resident Evil 2, and are working to finish it. However, it seems like a build of their restoration project leaked to someone in the Resident Evil community, who then proceeded to try and sell it around. Due to this, the team have released the same build.

Wow, now that's an asshole. Shame that they had to release an unfinished build because of that prick.

Top Bottom