• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's Deep Down announced (Panta Rhei, Capcom's new engine) [Up: Video]

params7

Banned
by far, my greatest anticipated game from this conference. If its anything like it looks/sounds, capcom's own challenger to dark souls. Fuck day 1, just need more info.

Medalion

Banned
QOc6axu.jpg

Too graphically inferior... maybe an N64 port

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Reposting for new page.

No reason for this to not be real time guys.

1- Enclosed environments = massive leverage to use memory to do pretty much anything imaginable in terms of shaders, textures, environment, etc.
2- Very controlled environment to do all sorts of optimizations, etc.
3- Almost no characters on screen.

There's no reason that this can't run in real-time. Their depth of field even looks rather bad in the torch part (gif above).

No reason for this to not be real time guys.

1- Enclosed environments = massive leverage to use memory to do pretty much anything imaginable in terms of shaders, textures, environment, etc.
2- Very controlled environment to do all sorts of optimizations, etc.
3- Almost no characters on screen.

There's no reason that this can't run in real-time. Their depth of field even looks rather bad in the torch part (gif above).

yep. i'm surprised people aren't getting this.

bow down to Ono and the panty raid engine.

Caj814

Didn't Capcom already state that they want Dragons Dogma to be their next big franchise for years to come. Definitely won't be surprised if it ends up being DD2 by release

Only having to render a cave and a few characters sure helps. There was a few parts where it looked real-time, like right before the dragon knocks overs some rocks.

Dude's hair still looks like clay.

Pein

Banned
best thing they showed besides killzone. It sold me on PS4 graphics, it really makes every rpg styled in that fashion before it look like crap.

My mind keeps spinning at the thought of SF V being made on this engine. If this game looks as good as it does with all this going on what can they possibly do with a fighter with only two main characters on screen and one viewing angle.

Also makes me wish Darksouls 2 was a next gen title. Game will probably look seriously dated next to next gen launch titles.

People are saying this is set in the Dragon's Dogma universe...

This kinda bothers me honestly, that people think that. There's a video in the OP that pretty much shows that this isn't Dragon Dogma related at all.

The sound of the helicopter, the social network like post...this is probably a game world like The Matrix or Assassins Creed. You have a character that "jacks in" a virtual world.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wait... why would they show off their new engine with a CG fake trailer?

Plus whats up with the helicopter sound at the end?

Looks good but i'm highly sceptical. Brings back memories of Killzone 2 demo

I knew that wasn't real back then, and I know this is running in realtime now. It may not be gameplay. It may be completely scripted and hand animated, but it's running in engine in real time. Pretty clearly.

Demon Ice

Banned
Yeah I don't trust Capcom anymore but that looked incredible, if the final product looks like that they'll have won me back.

Yeah, they'd be dumb to not at least call this a Dragon's Dogma spin off if not a full blown sequel. It would be a good way to put some value in the IP and raise its' profile. I imagine they wouldn't want to out right label it that yet though so it wouldn't steal thunder from Dark Arisen.

VashTS

So I'm thinking that all of the text coming up on screen and disappearing with video interference animations in this trailer is holding a secret, along with blanka (player/friend) in the end asking for items/help.

Surprised more people aren't talking about this. It was quite probably the best looking game at this conference. The fire effects in particular are the most realistic i've seen from not just any game, but any tech demo so far. I honestly could not tell if it was real time or CGI until I watched a 1080p Youtube stream, it was that good.

Also, the more Dark Souls-esque games, the better.

That was the only demo outside of FF that seemed to use tesselation, so i'm not surprise it looks better than the others.

It is definitely not CGI, there are some shadowing, post processing artifacts, shader aliasing, particles that looked like being rendered in realtime by the gpu (right before the dragon breathes fire)... It could be a target render done in engine though.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I knew that wasn't real back then, and I know this is running in realtime now. It may not be gameplay. It may be completely scripted and hand animated, but it's running in engine in real time. Pretty clearly.

What makes that so apparent or obvious? Others and myself are questioning if it's cg because it looks so far beyond everything else that was on display. Honestly, this is Capcom not ND,SSM or GG. I remember when they claimed the first showings of DMC4 and RE5 (the teaser trailers for both) were real time but they didn't match up to what was actually delivered. Actually far from it. I think there will be scenes from the shipped game that will resemble this but just not in this fidelity. But hey, if Infamous was realtime, then maybe this is as well.

-PXG-

I really want to believe this was completely real-time, and not CG or "in engine" bullshit. Something tells me it's legit but other things tell me that they purposefully made it look rough in some spots to make it look like game play, when all it's really just a target render

Hypron

I just got back home from work, and I found all the other games that were presented quite underwhelming. But then I saw this trailer.

Now that's what I'm talking about. That looks absolutely awesome. It definitely looks in engine as well, it might be pre-rendered but it doesn't look like cgi.

What makes that so apparent or obvious? Others and myself are questioning if it's cg because it looks so far beyond everything else that was on display. Honestly, this is Capcom not ND,SSM or GG. I remember when they claimed the first showings of DMC4 and RE5 (the teaser trailers for both) were real time but they didn't match up to what was actually delivered. Actually far from it. I think there will be scenes from the shipped game that will resemble this but just not in this fidelity. But hey, if Infamous was realtime, then maybe this is as well.

it's things like texture filtering, slightly wonky facial animation, some aliasing. and why was it so beyond everything else? simple. small enclosed environments VS huge wide open ones. and when RE5 came out, wasn't it one of the best looking games on 360 and PS3?

and again, I'm acknowledging that this might not be running on a PS4 devkit, I'm just saying it's running in real time. Maybe on a high end PC with multiple graphics cards, but realtime.

wouldn't you expect the one game that showed small claustrophobic environments with only a small number of characters on screen at a time to be the most impressive one visually? I would.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I really want to believe this was completely real-time, and not CG or "in engine" bullshit. Something tells me it's legit but other things tell me that they purposefully made it look rough in some spots to make it look like game play, when all it's really just a target render

I can say quite confidently that... I have no friggin idea what this was. lol

Clevinger

The sound of the helicopter, the social network like post...this is probably a game world like The Matrix or Assassins Creed. You have a character that "jacks in" a virtual world.

Wasn't that part of the jokey skit thing with Blanka from Street Fighter asking for help, or being asked for help or whatever? Or did I hallucinate that part?

-PXG-

I can say quite confidently that... I have no friggin idea what this was. lol

Some rocks don't cast shadows. There is noticeable aliasing too. Also, they rotate camera to give off the perception that the player has full control over it. And of course, there is a HUD (but that is quite easy to fake).

I'm leaning towards it being legit, but I won't be surprised if it wasn't.

Wasn't that part of the jokey skit thing with Blanka from Street Fighter asking for help, or being asked for help or whatever? Or did I hallucinate that part?

Blanka avatar was a joke for the fans sure. The post itself and the helicopter sound had to be directly about the game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

If you watch the 1080p trailer, you'll see shadow flickering, some shimmering on objects when light is applied (much like we see in current gen games), pixels on objects in front of particle effects (the very beginning), much like the Gran Turismo smoke issue, and the slightly off looking blur effects, which looks console quality and not quite CG quality.

All those show that this is definitely running on hardware. CG wouldn't have these inaccuracies. Anyone who says this is CGI is utterly wrong.

Top Bottom