• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's DEEP DOWN was the most impressive thing shown @ PS4 event

Krabardaf

Yes it was the most impressive things.

And not to be a dick but I believe people claiming it's CG haven't been in touch with the last advancement of realtime rendering.

Definitely in engine. It just doesn't look CG.
Of course it's likely scripted, maybe even rendered in engine, but not CG. I can agree smoke is the most CG looking part of the demo, but I always expected physics (and particles/fluid simulation) to make a big step forward this gen, so my take is that it's just that.

Yes it was the most impressive things.

And not to be a dick but I believe people claiming it's CG haven't been in touch with the last advancement of realtime rendering.

Definitely in engine. It just doesn't look CG.

oh it's inengine. But i'm not sure if gameplay will look the same.

Randy

5SuyYOy.jpg

Really like the texture work and overall atmosphere.

zoukka

No, the tech is definitely a bottleneck, so far as PS360 gen is concerned. There is tons of shit devs still couldn't do, at least not at a stable framerate, with last gen tech.

What I meant is, that before tech was definitely the biggest bottleneck. Now we are reaching a point where the asset pipeline has become equally big of a bottleneck.

It's clearly visible in the PS4 reveal games. The assets are what make people go wow after a certain treshold of performance and IQ. The gif Orioto posted about GoW Ascension is a good example. It doesn't have to shame next to the new Killzone and would be probably a comparable game visually with similar performance/IQ, if not better.

Except it'll probably play like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter, so you have kind of played it already.

How many Dragon's Dogmas or Dark Souls games have you played in the last 8 years?

THREE.

How many FPSes?

Three dozens.

I'm just saying this game interests me infinitely more than Killzone 4 or Destiny or Halo 5 etc. And this is not a dig at KZ4 graphics.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I want this to be Dragon's Dogma 2 so hard. All i can think is that this is 30/40 level standard armor. So what would a lvl180 assassin with endgame gear and weapons look? Show me the Grisly armor set in glorious PS4ness ...

I want to gouge a cyclops in the eye while all my friends watch online. Share button will get crazy use... i weep for my facebook wall.

Amir0x

Banned
The only "impossible" thing I see in it, is the fire effect imo. And of course the seamless animation.

There is the animation level, of course, but the fidelity is outrageous with all those visual effects going on. I'm not saying it's impossible (so I don't know why you put quotes around that as if I did) just saying I don't know if that's running on something that'd be comparable to PS4 specs, or if they can actually make a game that maintains that quality across the entire title. Because it is a 'complete' package in every way, and I find that hard to believe they'd be able to pull it off in the end.

We'll see, I hope so, but I'm just not going to let myself believe it until I see something playable.

zoukka said:
Now we are reaching a point where the asset pipeline has become equally big of a bottleneck.

It's clearly visible in the PS4 reveal games. The assets are what make people go wow after a certain treshold of performance and IQ. The gif Orioto posted about GoW Ascension is a good example. It doesn't have to shame next to the new Killzone and would be probably a comparable game visually with similar performance/IQ, if not better.

Ah, I understand. Don't disagree too much with this if at all.

Log4Girlz

I still can't believe that's in-engine, or running on something like PS4 hardware, so it's super impressive, but I'll wait to see something more on it because I don't want to be Killzowned.

You know that deep down, Naughty Dog will match these graphics. Admit it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I also wanted to mention that the sword swing that send the dragon reeling off had a sound effect on it that sounded a LOT like the Warrior Savage Lash skill.

Just sayin...

zoukka

Now we just need Capcom on the right track and a proper heir to RE4. Those caves already reminded me of the caves in resi...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's the dawn of a new bull-shot era.

No I'm not talking about framerate, image quality or technical effects. I wholeheartedly think that everything showed was some form of in-engine, quasi real time presentation. Unlike the Motorstorm/KZ2 showings.

What I know is bullshit is the composition and animation. You can argue that when playing you don't really want a camera that acts all weird and flies all over the place like it does in the clip. That dragon? Yeah it won't move or act like that in game. You blocking the fire with your shield looking that cool? Won't look like that either.

The infamous clip is another offender, I'm sure it was real-time in-engine elements to it but we won't get games that are so fluid in terms of combat and whatnot, teleporting in and out behind enemies perfectly interacting with them.

orioto

Good Art™
I think it's more to do with this gen is an upgrade of HD; not that massive jump we saw going from SD to HD. So everyone knew the graphics won't be incredibly different tbh.

Oh and if it's basically Dragon's Dogma, please make it somehow we can create an Avatar that isn't odd looking lol.

See that's what's killing me. How is a resolution upgrade a bigger graphical progress than assets and rendering update...

Come on man... how many devs in the world can match SSM's talent, resources and experience? How many devs even target a similar highly scripted experience like the GoW games?

You can't just expect all devs to magically being able to whip out tons of grade A assets, with "next-gen power".

And Capcom is cheap you're telling me ? What are we talking about then...
It seems to me lots of devs are able to output pretty solid assets at the end of this gen, even small japanese ones.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Third cross post.

I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:26 - Weird DOF at seam as the camera comes into focus of the flame.
0:31 - Fabric tears and stitching on bald guy's cloak are textured on.
0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
0:43 - Pixellated DOF edge.
0:48 - Standard SSAO/HDAO.
0:52 - What looks like shadow flickering or even z-fighting on the pillars.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:18 - Relatively muddy ground texture.
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

This, on the other hand, looks bona fide real time.

Log4Girlz

Third cross post.

I'm not confident that the Deep Down trailer represents playable, animated gameplay, but I have no doubt it's real time in-engine footage either running directly from the PS4 hardware or at the very least PC.

Frame analysing the footage, you can spot the following (I can't believe I'm doing this):

0:26 - Weird DOF at seam as the camera comes into focus of the flame.
0:31 - Fabric tears and stitching on bald guy's cloak are textured on.
0:35 - Pretty typical bloom/glow emanating from the dude's face, simulating illumination from fire. Can also see a seam where the hair* poly is modelled onto the head.
0:42 - Show resolution flickers on the rocks to the left as the torch passes around.
0:43 - Pixellated DOF edge.
0:48 - Standard SSAO/HDAO.
0:52 - What looks like shadow flickering or even z-fighting on the pillars.
1:12 - Sharp pixels when shiny edges are introduced to per object motion blur (you sometimes see this in Crysis 2).
1:18 - Relatively muddy ground texture.
1:22 - Small, physics generated debris 'floating', not colliding with the ground properly.
*and to note that, there's no detailed hair strands/simulation (eyelashes, facial hair, head heair) anywhere in the demo.

Again, not sure about those animations being actual gameplay. And some aspects could be fake with pre-canned, heavily scripted animations (eg: fire). But it looks both fucking incredible and a real time engine demonstration. Flaws are not really negatives, so much as evidence of the reality of real times graphics processing. It's why Ubisoft's bullshot screenshots always have a weird, uncanny look, even though most are using in-game assets. The rendering is always oversampled and touched up, so it's not technically real time anything.

This, on the other hand, looks bona fide real time.

But is it running on the PS4? Now that's the question.

zoukka

And Capcom is cheap you're telling me ? What are we talking about then...
It seems to me lots of devs are able to output pretty solid assets at the end of this gen, even small japanese ones.

Yeah it kinda depends on what is "next-gen" stuff to you personally. Some feel it's epic, big vistas, others appreciate dynamic enviroments and interactivity. Some couldn't care less about either and just want stylized graphics out of their games.

TCRS

Banned
Looks amazing. If that sort of thing is possible just imagine the games three, four years into the gen. Elder Scrolls IV with that graphics..

Sentenza

If part of this was actual gameplay, then I must say it looked like a smartphone game on steroids.
We'll see, I guess.

Lord Phol

I agree with this being the most impressive thing shown at the event. The fluid animations and how well everything interacted with each other (shield/pillar splitting flames, arrow+pillar=smoke, rubble and dragon reaction), these are the things that IMO will seperate next gen from this one. If this is something developers will be able to do or even care about is another question though, but one can dream.

Violater

I agree with this being the most impressive thing shown at the event. The fluid animations and how well everything interacted with each other (shield/pillar splitting flames, arrow+pillar=smoke, rubble and dragon reaction), these are the things that IMO will seperate next gen from this one. If this is something developers will be able to do or even care about is another question though, but one can dream.

Which is why I sincerely believe it was not running on PS4 hardware.

Forkball

I call bullshots. Don't try to trick us with that HUD nonsense.

I'm interested to see how it seperates itself from Dragon's Dogma. Perhaps this is more of a dungeon crawler as opposed to an open world RPG?

People i don't know but..

iYF1IatDgqsEd.gif

Now add the PS4 power, the ram, the modern shaders...
This is the kind of leap you should expect. Maybe at first there will be some slight downgrading but just update the model and shader quality over that and what else are you expecting...

The only thing that i can't really believe is the fire effect.
BUT, you know, first time we saw some water shader in Star Fox adventure, it was pretty magic.

I don't know when people convinced themselves that the next gen leap would be so small..

okay that is amazing.

santa monica on ps4.

oh wow.

Lord Phol

Which is why I sincerely believe it was not running on PS4 hardware.

Even if it was, most things looked too scripted to be real gameplay.
Still though, this is how I would like to see next gen gameplay handled. Which is a bit funny as I found Dragons Dogmas graphics very jarring and non-impressive, to the point that it took away from the actual game experience.

Daante

Just heard on Giantboms live commenting stream/video that Capcoms facebook page have confirmed that this game will be in the same universe as Dragons Dogma.

SupaNaab

As a fighting game fan, when I saw Ono I laughed so hard. The thoughts of his Cross Tekken Blanka appearance just flashed before me when I saw him walk out with those orange shoes. Then he floored me with his unveiling. I love you Ono.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Deep Down was the coolest of all of the games shown off imo.

I think the vast majority of footage were cutscenes, but (even though I only watched it once), there was a point towards the end of the demo where it looked like the game transistioned over to actual gameplay. I was waiting for a QTE button prompt to pop up on the screen, because I doubt the player is going to have full control over the character with all of those flames spewing forth.

I see no reason to believe it wasn't running on PS4.

Geoff9920

It was very impressive, but I hope that's a target render that capcom can actually pull off. Until they show something that's being played by a person I'll remain skeptical.

Shadybiz

It was the game that I was most impressed by. I don't really know enough about the technical side of it, so I'll just say that I hope that's the final in-game product....I have been fooled before (KZ2, anyone?).

No one gif'd the end segment where that guy was blocking the endless barrage of flames with his shield. Really?! That was the best part.

Top Bottom