• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter interview: Nintendo here to stay, PS4 won't be $599; PS4 cheaper than Nextbox

I kind of feel bad for the rap he gets around here. And after listening to the interview also, he has completely a realistic outlook about Nintendo IMO. Some tidbits:

• Jack Tretton told Pach they definitely will not charge $599 again.
  • Thinks the PS4 will launch at $399.
  • Strongly thinks Kinect 2.0 will be bundled with 720 and make it more expensive than PS4
  • Thinks everything on PSN (like Netflix, etc) will be behind a paywall, except multiplayer
  • Feels certain The Last of Us will have a PS4 version
  • Talked to Sony about Agent, Sony's words: "It's still under development".
  • Nintendo's not going anywhere. Can go 20-30 years losing money like they are now before being in trouble.

Starts around the 34 minute mark: http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/20...day-gamertag-radio-michael-pachter-interview/

I kind of agree about the price if Kinect is bundled into every console. Although the extra 4 gigs of GDDR5 in PS4 could push the prices closer to parity.

guek

Banned
He's only bad when he knowingly presents his own speculation as some kind of insider info (though this is often due to misrepresentation and no fault of his own).

I'd take all his "predictions" as nothing more than guesses though unless blatantly specified. He's probably a decent analyst but his predictions are almost always wrong.

I kind of feel bad for the rap he gets around here. And after listening to the interview also, he has completely a realistic outlook about Nintendo IMO. Some tidbits:

• Strongly thinks Kinect 2.0 will be bundled with 720 and make it more expensive than PS4
  • Thinks everything on PSN will be behind a paywall, except multiplayer
  • Talked to Sony about Agent: "It's still under development".
  • Nintendo's not going anywhere. Can go 20-30 years losing money like they are now before being in trouble.

Starts around the 34 minute mark: http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/20...day-gamertag-radio-michael-pachter-interview/

Other than the Xbox 360/PS4 price arguments, he seems about right to me.

How is it even an option to lose money 30 years as a company?
How can share-holders put up with that for 3 decades without insisting on going third-party at least in the console space?

Meelow

Banned
Why is there days when Pachter seems to have a grudge against Nintendo and than days where he's fine with them? Confuses me.

saichi

• Thinks everything on PSN will be behind a paywall, except multiplayer
  • Talked to Sony about Agent: "It's still under development".

It's a 3 game race between TLG, Versus and Agent.

EDIT: Infamous Second Son counts as a new IP?

ok...

Kunan

Seems quite reasonable. I wonder if the Sony camera will be bundled and drive its cost up to being the same as the 720?

Alx

We already had declarations about how the PS4 price wouldn't be at PS3 level. It's obvious Sony learnt their lesson, and just like they're now developer-friendly, they'll try to be competitive on price. Although the 8GB trick isn't supposed to help.
I doubt the cameras will be a big element for price difference though (especially since we're assuming they'll come as standard for both consoles). Neither the PS4Eye nor the rumored kinect2 are putting out-of-this-world specs.

How long has Agent been in development now ?

Tobor

How can share-holders put up with that for 3 decades without insisting on going third-party at least in the console space?

He said Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Iwata on the other hand...

ismk

This is probably one of the most sane predictions by Pachter. It's great to see that Sony learned their mistake even if it might not be cheaper than Durango.

He said Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Iwata on the other hand...

Iwata is probably great as a boss but when it comes to financials for the company, he hasn't really done too well. I think he got extremely lucky with Wii and how amazing it did.

Sony's new Eye seems more expensive than Kinect, will it be packed in? Hmm.

If Durango doesn't have a SKU cheaper than Sony's cheapest, my interest is declining.

Ehhhhh, I'm not so sure about the Nextbox being more expensive than PS4. I can't see his prediction about Kinect being bundled with it coming true- at the end of the day, the majority of people buying into the Nextbox during its early months will be the early adopter, core-gamer type crowd who already know about Kinect. Unless MS has finally figured out how to make a big core-gamer appealing Kinect game that doesn't involve dancing, I don't see them forcing people to pick up a Kinect with their console.

That said, they're in an arrogant mood lately, so who knows.

Let me give my deeply original response: so everything will be the opposite of what he says, hur hur.

If Pachter is suggesting MS bundles Kinect while Sony leaves out their camera, Sony would be making a mistake.

MisterHero

If most [or the most powerful] investors are on Nintendo's side they can do what they want. That's good because it means the hardware/software makers still control the direction. Being like X company just to please shareholders is nonsense.

There's nothing revelatory about his claim but it's a step up from claiming they make grievous errors every year.

Top Bottom