• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl homepage updated (w/ movie & pics)

ivysaur12

Banned
Is it just me, or do a lot of the levels look... similar? I mean, at least the ones shown so far, all have one big bottom platform, and then maybe or two platforms about that, possibly slightly tilted. One of my favorite things about SSBM was that the levels were really varied, and half the fun was avoiding the dangers of the levels themselves (or throwing other people into them).

ivysaur12 said:
Is it just me, or do a lot of the levels look... similar? I mean, at least the ones shown so far, all have one big bottom platform, and then maybe or two platforms about that, possibly slightly tilted. One of my favorite things about SSBM was that the levels were really varied, and half the fun was avoiding the dangers of the levels themselves (or throwing other people into them).

Same but if its anything like SSBM, the final product will give us a ton of varied levels. One neat thing so far i like is the season-changing bit from Yoshi Island stage, :)

Teasel

you know i'm sick of you guys
here is how every topic of SSBB ends up
Actor A : here you can see new SSBB screenshot! as you can see, they are pretty hooooot!
Actor B : (with evil mustaches) OH MY GOOOD! THE GAME LOOKS CRAPPY! NO REASON TO BE HAPPY! GC 1.5 CONFIRMED! NINTENDO IS THE DOOMED!
Actor A : you are wrong! look, this really crappy picture of SSBM makes my statement pretty strong!
Actor B : GWWAAARRRGGHH (vanish into a cloud of smoke)
*close curtains*

Krowley

NintendosBooger said:
I can overlook the graphics, but I won't overlook any lack of online play. There's no excuse -- none -- for this thing NOT to be 4-8 people multiplayer (online).

an inconvenient truth...

a 4 player fighting game can't be made remotley playable online. I don't think they can possibly do it. it would require some breakthrough in networking prediction code or something.

That's the bottom line. If you've ever do any online fighting you will see that it barley works with two players. It's much more taxing in a network sense than most popular online game styles. From what i've seen of online fighters, even the best ones are very difficult to play and feel unresponsive.

I'm hoping there are interesting mini game modes and special game modes for online play.
I'd love for them to do a smash brothers 3rd person shooter with a few maps for online (kind of like they had a sidescrolling platformer in the last one). I think two player matches are as much as we can hope for when it comes to the actual fighting, and it will be impressive if they can even make that work properly.

ivysaur12 said:

Tell me how many different levels you actually see...in the trailers most of the "levels" are the same ones at different times of day

ant1532

Banned
Teasel said:
you know i'm sick of you guys
here is how every topic of SSBB ends up
Actor A : here you can see new SSBB screenshot! as you can see, they are pretty hooooot!
Actor B : (with evil mustaches) OH MY GOOOD! THE GAME LOOKS CRAPPY! NO REASON TO BE HAPPY! GC 1.5 CONFIRMED! NINTENDO IS THE DOOMED!
Actor A : you are wrong! look, this really crappy picture of SSBM makes my statement pretty strong!
Actor B : GWWAAARRRGGHH (vanish into a cloud of smoke)
*close curtains*
You forgot about the Items "on" is better then Items "off" argument :D

threeball

Banned
Playing a fighting game at the "competitive" metagame is impossible online, with the frame counting and split second decisions.

However playing a game like this at a casual metagame wouldn't be very difficult. If people just play it casually as a beat up game, than it would be fine online. The only problem this game would have online would be people trying to turn the game into a game of street fighter.

ivysaur12

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Tell me how many different levels you actually see...in the trailers most of the "levels" are the same ones at different times of day

Umm... there are atleast 5 levels in the trailer, all with the same basic level structure.

Can't wait for this. Yea, the jump in graphics isn't mindblowing, but what the hell can you do with Kirby for example? There just better be some sort of online play.

yilmazz said:
Nice ass!
3320.gif

how is the control on this supposed to work? I know they are sticking with tradional controls over wiimote, but will you have to use the classic controller? the wiimote held sideways (NES style)? the GC controllers?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
MasterMFauli said:
Whats also great..so far, there is no character in SSBB, that i dont like.
Like Peach, Cpt. Falcon, Falco or Pichu in SSBM ;-)
peach down-smash and falcon knee (side air) FTW

Ninja Scooter said:
how is the control on this supposed to work? I know they are sticking with tradional controls over wiimote, but will you have to use the classic controller? the wiimote held sideways (NES style)? the GC controllers?
Somebody involved with the game has been quoted as saying "hold on to your Gamecube controller" so everyone has been assuming it will use the GC controller. I'm hoping that will be the case.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
About ****ing time, Nintendo! Jeez, only it would take Nintendo THIS long to release a direct feed movie of something they showed like 2 months ago.

But anyway, my thoughts.

Positives:

-60fps!!!!! I couldn't tell from the shitty quality movie last time, but now I'm sure. And that makes me happy in my pants. :D
-Music is **** awesome! It doesn't matter if it's midi as long as it's GOOD midi, and that's what this trailer has. Though I'm wondering what happened with the fully orchestrated music Sakurai said before.

Negatives:

-Just one, and it's the fact that even in bright stages the character models seem dark. One of the things I loved about Melee was how the art style was ****ing perfect, with nice bright colors in shining areas. I don't see it from here. Maybe we'll see in other levels, I hope.

SuomiDude

thirty said:
I'm curious to know what Smash Bros fans think of the new 360 Live Arcade game Small Arms?
It's not on Wii, so it sucks :(

j/k

Seriously, I can't say I'd be interested in it at all, even if I had XBox 360. SSB is enough you know.

thirty said:
I'm curious to know what Smash Bros fans think of the new 360 Live Arcade game Small Arms?

Well have you ever fµcked someone and thought of somebody else?
That's what's been happenning to me with Small arms. I've been playing it since this morning and fantasizing about SSBB.

The 4 player online doesnt have any lag AT ALL.

*sigh*

I fear for the online content of Brawl...

fernoca

thirty said:

It is no Smash Bros..but is kinda fun online..

Sucks that you have to use the right analog stick to aim...doesn't fit into this kind of game.

Sega

I hope they make the old N64 SSB on VC. I may be the only one who liked SSB more than SSBM, and it'd be cool to have the entire series on one console.

Ace 8095

thirty said:
It is not bad, but it came out the say I bought Rainbow Six: Vegas, so I did not buy it. It does have 4 player online though. I hope SSBB will have awsome online play but you really never know.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This game is going to be an hot & passionnate session of videogame sex in 480p. too bad for me since I don't I've an HDTV :(

OH MY GOD THE MARIO KART STAGE!

That looks amazing.

I was getting sick of how everyone talks about Brawl so much, but now I'm with them. The graphics look good(well not Gears of War, but this game has something called color, fancy that) the action looks fast and it just looks crazy as all hell.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cvxfreak said:
I'm still holding out for Sonic. Would love for him to show up (and I realize Leon from RE4 has no chance :().

Me too. I'd be surprised if Sonic DIDN'T show up tbh. It would be the first GOOD game he's been involved with in 8 years. :p

miyuru

Verano said:
I know it's ****in awesome battling multiple players, but do you think that the game can sustain multiple characters while online without causing lag?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........nope.

First and foremost, there always WILL be lag. You can't get rid of it. There's even lag when you play locally, but it's insignificant.

And as stated above, it doesn't matter so much on how pretty a game is, graphics and all that jazz are handled locally. What matters with online is how important timing is, with button presses and such.

I remember trying 3rd Strike online and I had the worst time of my life, never again! I'm still an advocate for online Smash, but I have enough friends to play at home without problem.

Krowley

SantaC said:
what fighting games has online right now?

Most that i know of are for xbox and playing online fighting games was what caused me to get a live subscription..... I've tried several and the expierience was mostly disapointing.

There is a mortal kombat game with online for the xbox and it's the most playable one i've tried. It's good enough that you occasionaly forget that your playing over a network. But it was a crappy game and it was still inconsistent a lot of the time.

A guilty gear game that's great, but nearly unplayable online. A streefighter game with mixed reviews online (haven't tried it) and a Dead or alive game, which played very poorly compared to mortal kombat IMO.

Every once in a while you will get a decent match were everything goes smoothly, but it's more common to have lots of glitching and freezing and people are able to use cheap tactics due to network flaws.

The technology for online fighting just doesn't deliver.

fusoya59

JodwayJJ said:
Anyone able to post generation to generation comparison pics? For instance, Link from 64, Gamecube and Wii?

The Wii Link pic looks like a vast improvement over the previous gen...

And in all honesty people... HOW REALISTIC DO YOU WANT CARTOON CHARACTERS TO LOOK. I'm sorry, but thinking of a live action looking Kirby, Fox or Pikachu would be.... scary. I don't want that.
These graphics are sufficient and a great interpretation of what the next gen SSBM should look like. Now shut up about Wii graphics already.
omg, just imagine cel-shaded smash. BELIEVE.

Oblivion said:
Me too. I'd be surprised if Sonic DIDN'T show up tbh. It would be the first GOOD game he's been involved with in 8 years. :p

Years might turn to months if Wildfire turns out to be good.

I'm not anticipating Sonic to make an appearance on SSBB, because that would all depend on the questionable faculties operating Sega's business model. I've seen companies make moves that I didn't like, but at least they made sense, and I've seen companies make moves that made no sense but ended up working anyway but Sega defiantly and perhaps even proudly avoids falling under either one of those categories.

Anyway, I'd rather see more new characters (e.g., Midna) or characters that we haven't seen in a long while (e.g., Strider, Bonk, etc.).

g23

European pre-madonna
And this is supposed to be a 5-years-leap (Feb 2001 for SMBM if I remember well...) in computing power and programming abilities? Thit shit is just unjustifiable, for God's shake. Nintendo is aiming for the weakest visual improvement ever made between two generations of consoles. And people even dare to consider it as something positive.

small-arms-20061122054036450.jpg

Then go play SMALL ARMS for the xbox 360 while we all enjoy the fun shading of Brawl :lol

wsippel said:
The post you quoted states that the final version of the game will feature orchestrated music complete with a chorus and stuff, so who cares if they used a different (MIDI) arrangement in some trailer...? It also doesn't say that the music in the previous trailer was played by an orchestra - it's hard to tell due to the vocals, anyway.

The site also credits these people:

Lyrics : Masahiro Sakurai
Conductor : Taizo Takemoto
Translation : Taro Yamashita
Soprano : Oriko Takahashi
Composer : Nobuo Uematsu
Tenor : Ken Nishikiori
Arrangement : Shogo Sakai

While it might not be so, I'm guessing the conductor conducted an orchestra..

wsippel

Banned
FoxHimself said:
The site also credits these people:

Lyrics : Masahiro Sakurai
Conductor : Taizo Takemoto
Translation : Taro Yamashita
Soprano : Oriko Takahashi
Composer : Nobuo Uematsu
Tenor : Ken Nishikiori
Arrangement : Shogo Sakai

While it might not be so, I'm guessing the conductor conducted an orchestra..
Or the vocalists...

Top Bottom