• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

Lime

I tried both the fixed.exe and sh2_affinity_shortcut.exe, and still no dice. :( I am unable to do this step: ...because 800 x 600 is the default/lowest resolution available for me.

Try forcing a 640x480 custom resolution through either Windows or AMD/Nvidia's software. I hope it works.

Try forcing a 640x480 custom resolution through either Windows or AMD/Nvidia's software. I hope it works.
I...I finally found a solution. All I needed to do was go to the .exe properties -> Compatibility -> Settings -> and then check "Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution". Then I was able to set it at that resolution and get my 1080p! (Anything over that caused my game to crash, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.)

Thanks a bunch. :) I can't believe it... I'm a huge Silent Hill fan, and now I finally get to play SH2. I've been waiting for this moment for years.

EDIT: And just as I figure it out, I'm seeing that emulating it with PCSX2 using DX11 (hardware mode) does render shadows... Interesting.

I made a patch for the game which solves all major issues. http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/19353717/file.html

I call it "Modern Compatibility Fix"

Instructions
Install the game.
Run my patch.
Select if you'd like to play with AA.
Select your desired resolution.
Play.

What it does
- Copies the fixed exe over the original
- Runs the resolution patcher
- Applies an affinity (& 640x480 mode) fix, this can be uninstalled from "Program and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in XP) later, it's called "Silent Hill 2 Processor Affinity Fix", for example after you uninstall the game you may want to uninstall this too.
- Auto sets the game to 640x480 (which is actually the resolution you have selected eg 1920x1080) and graphics settings turned to the maximum (minus the noise filter)
- Applies my AA fix in case you want to play with AA. If you don't plan to, no reason to enable it, as the hack causes a few glitches (still 90% of the game looks fine, and really.. AA is a must with this game..)

Notes
- Dunno if it works for everyone, eg if one has UAC enabled (I don't). Hopefully people will test it and report back.
- On my setup sometimes sh2pc.exe hangs at startup (I just have to ctrl+alt+del open the task manager and kill sh2pc.exe and then I can launch it again hoping it works this time). The reason I'm writing this is that if the game crashes it will launch with the graphics settings turned down. So you might want to raise them again (edit: alternatively you can make settings.ini read only) as my patch cannot fix this crashing issue.

addik

I'm really curious to know if there are any modders out there thinking of replacing some of the outdated textures from the games and replacing them with HD textures. I'm thinking of replaying this when I'll be back home with my PC (for the nth time), and it would be awesome to have some of the textures renewed (though the game already looks great as it is. Oh, and I'm curious if we can hack the fog back to SH2?)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I made a patch for the game which solves all major issues. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dwcvd0

Instructions
Install the game.
Run my patch.
Play.

What it does
- Applies an affinity (& 640x480 mode) fix, this can be uninstalled from "Program and Features" ("Add/Remove Programs" in XP) later, it's called "Silent Hill 2 Processor Affinity Fix", for example after you uninstall the game you may want to uninstall this too.
- Auto sets the game to 640x480 (which is actually the resolution you have selected eg 1920x1080) and graphics settings turned to the maximum (minus the noise filter)
- Applies my AA fix in case you want to play with AA. If you don't plan to, no reason to enable it, as the hack causes a few glitches (still 90% of the game looks fine, and really.. AA is a must with this game..)

Notes
- Dunno if it works for everyone, eg if one has UAC enabled (I don't). Hopefully people will test it and report back.
- On my setup sometimes sh2pc.exe hangs at startup (I just have to ctrl+alt+del open the task manager and kill sh2pc.exe and then I can launch it again hoping it works this time). The reason I'm writing this is that if the game crashes it will launch with the graphics settings turned down. So you might want to raise them again (edit: alternatively you can make settings.ini read only) as my patch cannot fix this crashing issue.

This is pretty cool of you. I'll give it a go on an XP laptop tonight.

I made a patch for the game which solves all major issues. http://www.sendspace.com/file/dwcvd0

Instructions
Install the game.
Run my patch.
Play.

What it does

Notes
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the slow transitions between the map/inventory menu have sped up by ~2 seconds after I used this fix instead.

For some reason, my audio is still choppy even with all the fixes and double-checking that it's only running on one core... This damn, game, I swear.

I'm really curious to know if there are any modders out there thinking of replacing some of the outdated textures from the games and replacing them with HD textures. I'm thinking of replaying this when I'll be back home with my PC (for the nth time), and it would be awesome to have some of the textures renewed (though the game already looks great as it is. Oh, and I'm curious if we can hack the fog back to SH2?)

You want to replace Team Silent's art? Blasphemy! Nah, I'm kidding. :p I think the texture formats and their packing has been cracked but I don't know if the game can actually handle higher resolution textures.

This is pretty cool of you. I'll give it a go on an XP laptop tonight.

Thank you.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like the slow transitions between the map/inventory menu have sped up by ~2 seconds after I used this fix instead.

If it is different, I doubt it's from my patch, because it does nothing that the fixes in the OP don't.. It's just for convenience sake; download and run one file instead of three downloads, running them with a specific order, copy-pasting files, etc. But who knows? :p

For some reason, my audio is still choppy even with all the fixes and double-checking that it's only running on one core... This damn, game, I swear.

That's weird. Try changing the process' priority to higher or lower.. maybe..

Well I NEED SCISSORS was kind enough to message me his build of PCSX2 set up to render the shadows in Silent Hill 2 US Restless Dreams properly! I went ahead and tested it myself and it works quite well!

Grab it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?u1loumd52elepd8

I remember this back when I was banned.

I highly recommend just using this to play the PS2 version of Restless Dreams/Director's Cut instead of attempting to jury rig the PC version. The graphics, cutscenes, sound, menu transitions, and even controls if using a PS3 pad are all perfect.

Melchiah

It was the US version of SH2 directors cut. I've been seeing PC-DVD versions of these games were put out also(EU only?). Would've been nice to have DVD instead of the 5 CD version I got. Takes forever to install too.

I have the 80g PS3 that came out with MGS4. Tried SH2, and James' head would bob up and down, and one of his legs would flicker in and out of existence. Envy those with a launch PS3.

I'd wager the EU version might be more valuable today, and the same probably goes for the US version of SH4, which came with a soundtrack. I bought the accompanying soundtrack disc via Ebay back in the day.

The NA/Japan launch consoles probably ran the games flawlessly, but the EU launch units had only partial BC due to PS2's Emotion Engine being removed (I guess the same goes for the 80GB models?), which explains the glitches. Luckily it did only affect the cutscenes in SH3, and not the gameplay.

So I finally got SH3 running with no screen tearing. D3DOverrider is amazing. I've had screen tearing in a lot of games, and apparently this works for most games. Can't wait to play more games with it enabled on my new PC I'm getting.

I've also broke down and bought a used copy of SH2. I know said that I played it to death but screw it! True HD collection here I come!

Ithil

Ok I'm trying to get SH 3 working right on my PC, but I can't seem to get the FOV tool. I can't extract it from the rar file. Is there some incredibly stupid thing I forgot to do?

EDIT: Never mind, it's an ad-aware being stupid thing.

So my copy of SH2 just shipped and should be here sometime this week. So excited. How is the m+kb in SH2? Didn't mind the default controls in SH3, are they pretty much the same?

Persona7

Banned
Ok I'm trying to get SH 3 working right on my PC, but I can't seem to get the FOV tool. I can't extract it from the rar file. Is there some incredibly stupid thing I forgot to do?

EDIT: Never mind, it's an ad-aware being stupid thing.

Yeah, small unknown tools are usually blocked automatically even if they are completely safe as they can't be recognized. I always go out of my way to submit small tools like that to services that analyze the files to be added to a safe database like comodo and other various antivirus vendors but they still get blocked .

Instructions
Install the game.
Run my patch.
Play.

What it does

Notes

Wow awesome work, will use this whenever I feel like playing SH2 again. You just make a HD collection better than Konami did.

Ostinatto

having a Silent Hill week

silent hill Psone on VITA (you'll need to download the game on PS3 first, do not install it, then transfer the file to the VITA via USB)

also you can change the button config, set right/left step to L2/R2 back touch screen . camera view to L1 and Aim Lock to R1, some screens:

after having the "bad" ending :(. i started to play SH2PC with DS3 controller, using Motioninjoy (using the Playstation 2 Mode and the triggers as buttons) and Xpadder, the game works flawless.

Arrows = Right and Left Analog Stick (left analog stick to move the camera while pressing S)
Spacebar = X (Action)
Esc = Circle (Cancel)
Lshift = Square (Sprint)
M = Triangle (Map)
A = L1 (Left step)
D = R1 (Right step)
S = L2 (Camera View)
F = R2 (Aim Lock)
R = R3 (Reload)
L = L3 (Light)
E = Right Pad (next weapon)
Q = Left Pad (prev weapon)

will update for SH3 button config

how can i fix the real-time shadows in SH3?

ibpdjzYdwkiAh2.png
look at the arms :(

http://i.minus.com/iXEEvmgTxra3A.png
http://i.minus.com/iD02QTv0DK3pF.jpg

Finally got my copy of SH2! But I can't play it yet....

My PC has been having issues for a while. As soon as it prompted for the restart after installation, I got a blue screen on start up. Damn was so excited. Getting a new PC in a week or so, but man, this wait is gonna be annoying. True HD Collection on hold. >:[

Got SH2 running on my new PC! Never used the first fix, but angular's works great. Thanks, yo. It was worth it buying a used copy. :]

Lime

In celebration of Somnium986's success and (more importantly) Angular Graphics' quickfix, I'm going to post a gif displaying the technical and artistic wizardry of Team Silent:

firewalls3qdana.gif

Jawmuncher

So aside from the FOG in the PC version, it seems it's just better to go with the PC versions?
Sucks they aren't available digitally. Would be a nice well at least there's this for the travesty that was the HD collection.

Also as for Silent Hill one is it better to just play the game on ePSXe with a plugin to smooth it? Or should I just go for original. I'm personally not a picky guy since as long as the game is good I can be immersed but was wondering. Im looking into playing 1,2,3,4 real soon.

Confession:
I've only played Origins, Half of Shattered Memories, Homecoming, and currently playing downpour. While not amazing games I've enjoyed them all aside from homecoming that one was kinda meh.

Lime

And finally everyone's favourite scene in Silent Hill 3:
ending_blondes2xmbx1.gif

Here's what Douglas thinks of it:
oldmangifi4uy1.gif

I'll stop with the gifs now (got plenty more), but it was brandohn who made me do it :)

UrbanRats

Also as for Silent Hill one is it better to just play the game on ePSXe with a plugin to smooth it? Or should I just go for original. I'm personally not a picky guy since as long as the game is good I can be immersed but was wondering. Im looking into playing 1,2,3,4 real soon.
I bought SH1 on the PSN, from the classics.
It worked fine, but two very key scenes had a terrible sound bug that destroyed them, everything else worked fine.
I don't know if it's a recurring bug though.

I haven't played it start to finish on ePSXe yet (of course i played it a million times on ps1) but what i played ran fine and of course you can anti-alias the shit out of it.

I would get the ps1 version and run it on ePSXe, if i were you.

Jawmuncher

I bought SH1 on the PSN, from the classics.
It worked fine, but two very key scenes had a terrible sound bug that destroyed them, everything else worked fine.
I don't know if it's a recurring bug though.

I haven't played it start to finish on ePSXe yet (of course i played it a million times on ps1) but what i played ran fine and of course you can anti-alias the shit out of it.

I would get the ps1 version and run it on ePSXe, if i were you.

Sounds like a plan then.
Thanks

Lime

Neogaf user Darkangel has some shots of SH1 through emulation in the high res shots thread with a filter on. Here they are:

Confession:
I've only played Origins, Half of Shattered Memories, Homecoming, and currently playing downpour. While not amazing games I've enjoyed them all aside from homecoming that one was kinda meh.

:( It's too bad that you lost your SH virginity to those games, but at least you still have 1-4 to play!

Jawmuncher

Neogaf user Darkangel has some shots of SH1 through emulation in the high res shots thread with a filter on. Here they are:

:( It's too bad that you lost your SH virginity to those games, but at least you still have 1-4 to play!

Oooh those do look nice.
Yeah it sucks those were the first ones I jumped into, but at the same time should make playing 1-4 all the more special. Since rather than seeing the series downfall like most it'll almost be reverse for me. Should be exciting

In celebration of Somnium986's success and (more importantly) Angular Graphics' quickfix, I'm going to post a gif displaying the technical and artistic wizardry of Team Silent:
:D
But yeah good job on the fix Angular. After hearing about how many problems this port has, it's nice to have a patch that fixes everything in one swoop. Just wish there was a workaround to the .exe hanging on start up.
This is probably my fav gif from SH3. Every time a discussion about SH3's graphics come up, someone busts out this gif. Someone is always wowed.

I've played through all of SH 1, it look phenomenal for a PS1 game.

I still think it looks good today. Just something about it's graphics add to the creepiness, and atmosphere.

peronmls

Is it possible to use AMD Vision Control Center on SH2 and 3? I could never get it to work. I would love some AF in SH3

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Is it possible to use AMD Vision Control Center on SH2 and 3? I could never get it to work. I would love some AF in SH3

Yeah, I'm using it with SH2. I didn't have any AA after enabling it with Angular's fix, but forcing it manually worked wonders. SSAA 8X, and even my incredibly modest laptop can handle it no problem.

Love the fix, Angular. I was one of the suckers who bought the HD collection day one, before seeing real impressions. I couldn't believe what they had to done to one of my favorite games. It was miserable. This game looks great now. I'm honestly blown away, and I can't wait for a quiet night to turn out the lights and enjoy the best survival horror game ever made.

I do have a question, though: can it be played at 60 fps? I don't mind 30 at all (it never falters), but I'm curious if it's possible.

addik

You want to replace Team Silent's art? Blasphemy! Nah, I'm kidding. :p I think the texture formats and their packing has been cracked but I don't know if the game can actually handle higher resolution textures.

Haha that's cool, really love hearing about how modding works (I know next to nothing about coding)

And I swear to god, if I had not played Silent Hill 3, I would figure out that that douglas.gif actually comes from a current-gen game. Jesus Christ, how the hell was Team Silent able to pull that one off?

Lime

And I swear to god, if I had not played Silent Hill 3, I would figure out that that douglas.gif actually comes from a current-gen game. Jesus Christ, how the hell was Team Silent able to pull that one off?

I know the secret ingredient: Women as game developers

teamsilentwomenafo6z.png

So you better start campaigning for more inclusion in the games industry! ;)

UrbanRats

I wish someone would crack open Jet Set Radio HD's.
That game looks amazing supersampled, but the textures are muddy, yet give its style it would be quite easy to redraw them in HD, without changing the style one bit.

Top Bottom