• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 PC Version |UnOT| Bros before BOWs

Riposte

This isn't an OT (you'll notice the complete lack of flair), but it is inevitable that we will have a new thread for this release, as we did for Binary Domain and other games before it. In any case I recommend looking at the actual OT by user Nemesis_, especially since it rivals the classic MGS4 OT in terms of presentation and scope. In this post I will cover what's changed in Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6 since it launched, what's new with the PC version, and general information that tends to be requested. Feel free to use this thread to discuss your impressions and criticisms. Also use it to meet up in the game with other members of GAF or ask for help.

$39.99 on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221040/
If you preorder it on Steam (not much time left) you receive: Digital artbook and soundtrack, a copy of Resident Evil 5, and the "DLC Season Pass" - i.e. the four DLC multiplayer modes.
Available DLC: Onslaught (see below) - $3.99

Screenshots, courtesy of NeoGAF user Spazznid. (More here.)

screenshot1nhk6o.png
screenshot2vuqg6.png

screenshot3wrue5.png
screenshot49gutk.png

What's Changed?

RE6 has received a few updates (two main ones IIRC) and pieces of DLC since its release in October last year. I'll list the most notable changes.

*The camera/field of view can now be adjusted (out of the game). Players can adjust (respectively) the distance from the character while not aiming, while aiming, and the positioning of the camera while aiming. Comparison shots can be found in this thread.

*The very long chapters have been broken up into stages, much like how it was in RE5 (e.g. 1-1, 1-2). This makes it easier to stop a game and play another chapter without losing much progress.

*The harder "No Hope Left" difficulty has been added. This is a tougher version of the Professional difficulty and also locks away skills. It awards double skill points. (For difficulty-hungry players I can recommend jumping straight to this difficulty, but it can be a little too bothersome in Leon's campaign until you get access to stronger guns.)

*QTE Assist, previously only available for "Amateur" difficulty, is now available for all difficulties. What this option does is automatically perform QTEs for you. This does not mean every single button prompt, but as far as I can tell it does remove the "push button or die" moments (e.g. dodging a train).

*Ada's scenario can be played with co-op (using the "Agent" character, who is now also available for side content) and no longer needs to be unlocked. (The implementation of co-op is somewhat sloppy compared to the others. It isn't exactly the best campaign to play first, from a story perspective, either.)

*More Agent Hunt options have been added. These options include specifying stage, region, and whether infinite ammo is on or off. The mode is now available before clearing one of the campaigns (you will still be only be able to play areas if you've cleared them).

*Following the release of RE6, Capcom released four multiplayer modes and several map packs as DLC. All of this content will be appearing on the PC in some form or another. I do not believe all of the new DLC modes will be available from the start (correct me if I'm wrong). To be brief here are the four modes, with trailers explaining them linked:

-Predator (Ustanak vs Agents, take turns being Ustanak)
-Survivors (Agents vs agents, with dying players becoming monsters)
-Onslaught (The Mercenaries meets competitive Puyo Puyo)
-Siege (Agents protect a NPC from monsters)

All of the maps for extra content will be available in the game without having to purchase DLC (though they may have to be unlocked). This amounts to around 10 maps in total.

What's New?

The PC release of RE6 has unique advantages over previous iterations of the game. Of course there are the inherent strengths of the PC platform: 60 FPS, improved graphics, and a stronger modding community (there were plenty of small mods for RE5, so I'm looking forward to see what will be done here). I feel it is worth noting that the PC version does in fact have split-screen support (e.g. can play keyboard/mouse + controller).

Capcom and Valve have decided to work together in creating crossover content between Resident Evil and Left 4 Dead. On April 5th, you will be able to play as L4D2 characters (with unique loadouts) and face two L4D enemies in The Mercenaries and other side content. More details can be found in this thread. You may also want to check out this trailer.

The PC version of RE6 will also come with the unique "No Mercy" version of The Mercenaries. This continues the tradition set by RE5 in where a version of "Mercs" which has a greatly increased amount of enemies. This trailer shows you just how many enemies are on the screen at once.

Minimum specs
·Processor: Intel® CoreTM2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or better, AMD AthlonTM X2 2.8 Ghz or better
·Memory: 2 GB RAM
·Hard Disk Space: 16 GB free hard drive space
·Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or better
·DirectX®: 9.0c or greater
·Sound: Standard audio device

Recommended specs
·Processor: Intel® CoreTM 2 Quad 2.7 Ghz or better, AMD PhenomTM II X4 3 Ghz or better
·Memory: 4 GB RAM
·Hard Disk Space: 16 GB free hard drive space
·Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 or better
·DirectX®: 9.0c or greater
·Sound: Standard audio device

The benchmark can be found here. (It seems the benchmark is harder to run than the game itself.)

What you should know.

The manual can be found here. There is also a popular tip thread that is often recommended for new players on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

Here is a popular "order" to play the game through, which is both chronological and appropriately thematic. (I recommend it. If you plan on doing full campaigns at once, then I would recommend (though it is less established among fans) Jake -> Chris -> Leon -> Ada.)
Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada Campaign

"Online Events", which give points to unlock special costumes (e.g. "PS1" looking Chris), can be found here.

At some point, I'll post popular mods here.

(Riposte's recommendations: Full co-op (except for Ada campaign), No Hope Left, Agent Hunt on, and the order posted above. Camera settings: 15/15/10. Follow at your own risk.)

Steam IDs - Add your own or look some up if you are interested in multiplayer (co-op, mercs, etc).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqJ0t4fudwPtdFBRY3VKdzhIVG5qU2FGRTBIWDYwRmc&usp=sharing

Have fun sliding into cover out there.
ibjs5ggmmqolrvc3jer.gif

Sectus

I'm uploading a video of mercenaries no mercy right now if anyone wants to take a look at that.

One warning about the benchmark: it's much more demanding than the actual game. At 2560x1440 my framerate got below 20 in the benchmark. In normal mercs in the full game, the framerate is 60 almost the entire time at the same resolution.

Here's a couple of cutscene screenshots at 2560x1440:
http://www.abload.de/img/bh62013-03-2203-25-5572ulz.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/bh62013-03-2203-22-04kyulz.jpg

nbthedude

Now this is a good op. No fancy pr bullshit or lame memes. Just sold info. Thanks, OP. Lot of good info that I simply could not find even after googling.

cvxfreak

Would love to go through the PC version someday, but I recently just achieved this:

U4f80Cr.png

So I'm good for now.
Next up: Get as many S Ranks as possible!

With this and Bioshock on PC now I'm really just itching to either get a new PC or TRY and upgrade my current one... the RAM is good (8GB) but the CPU isn't great. So I really don't know what would happen if I got a new card. Not the topic for this though I realize. Still, I'd love to play this on PC but I know it would run like all kinds of shit.

Played a bit of campaign - still shit (not that I expected it to be any different, of course). Runs great though, but the textures are still disappointing.

On the bright side: Mercenaries No Mercy is pure madness, and serious fun. Can't wait to play it with some friends tomorrow.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'd love to play this if I had a good enough PC

Considering buying it just to see what it looks like

Sectus

Played a bit of campaign - still shit (not that I expected it to be any different, of course). Runs great though, but the textures are still disappointing.

On the bright side: Mercenaries No Mercy is pure madness, and serious fun. Can't wait to play it with some friends tomorrow.

I haven't looked closely at all the game files yet, but some textures are actually in higher resolution than on consoles. Like the majority of character textures are about 4 times the original resolution. Although that mostly speaks to about how bad the texture resolution is on the console versions.

Riposte

The game is out in Europe right now, but will not be out in America for another 11 hours. Can someone do one of those "countdown things" for the game's NA steam release?

Also when will it be too late to preorder? It is a real good deal, which pushed me to make this thread.

Valnen

Going to be playing the whole thing co-op likely the moment it unlocks. Why doesn't Valve unlock releases at midnight anyway?

Mrbob

I'm semi interested. Only 11 hours left before unlock to get all the pre order bonuses.

Going to be playing the whole thing co-op likely the moment it unlocks. Why doesn't Valve unlock releases at midnight anyway?

It's up to the publisher. A lot of games do unlock at midnight.

Riposte

My plan is to play as many pick-up games as possible, then get stages clear for Agent Hunt mode... then kill all of GAF.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How much better is it to play the chapters in the order in the OP? I was just planning on playing through each one seperatly.

Riposte

How much better is it to play the chapters in the order in the OP? I was just planning on playing through each one seperatly.

I don't know exactly what you mean by better. I think it will be easier to understand the story this way and it handles tension better (if you plan to get invested in the story at all). For example Jake 5 is a cliffhanger for Chris 5 which is a cliffhanger for Leon 5 (which has the most "final boss" final boss in terms of how it plays - to its detriment even, especially if you do Leon 4 to Leon 5 back to back). I think it introduces enemies better this way too.

EDIT: If you plan on doing full campaigns, then I would recommend Jake -> Chris -> Leon -> Ada.

Pre-ordered this and didn't even realise it was out so soon. Was there a pre-load available? Downloading now anyway.

People should really leave the Ada campaign until last I think, I don't really understand why they decided to make it available from the start.

I haven't looked closely at all the game files yet, but some textures are actually in higher resolution than on consoles. Like the majority of character textures are about 4 times the original resolution. Although that mostly speaks to about how bad the texture resolution is on the console versions.
Yeah, it seems as though character textures have been the most improved in this port. Environmental textures are probably slightly higher resolution, and in some cases they even seem untouched. For instance, the humvee you get the green herb from in the intro is still embarrassing.

Sectus

http://store.steampowered.com/video/221040/2028505

Judging from this trailer, I see Coach being based on Chris and maybe Rochelle being based on Helena. I wonder if they will mix and match, kind of like Agent was if I'm remembering right.

It looks like they're exactly like certain characters. Every move Coach does is identical to Chris, including taunt. Ellis is using Piers' animations, Nick is using Leon's animations and Rochelle is using Sherry's animations.

It's fucking hilarious how Capcom is throwing as much support as possible for the PC port of RE6 yet they're still neglecting RE4. And I can't wait for the Leon flight jacket and Albert Wesker Jake costume mods.

Deitus

What's Changed?

RE6 has received a few updates (two main ones IIRC) and pieces of DLC since its release in October last year. I'll list the most notable changes.

*The very long chapters have been broken up into stages, much like how it was in RE5 (e.g. 1-1, 1-2). This makes it easier to stop a game and play another chapter without losing much progress.

*QTE Assist, previously only available for "Amateur" difficulty, is now available for all difficulties. What this option does is automatically perform QTEs for you. This does not mean every single button prompt, but as far as I can tell it does remove the "push button or die" moments (e.g. dodging a train).

Holy crap! Gamechanger. Have these changes been added to the console version as well? It seems like the other changes you listed were already patched into the DLC, but I'm pretty sure these two weren't the last time I played.

I doubt I'll double dip on this one, since my co-op partner is on console. Still, these two things make this game infinitely more replayable.

Edit: Ah well, I guess I could have just tried googling first. Looks like these are in fact in the console versions. I might have to go back and play some more then.

Riposte

Holy crap! Gamechanger. Have these changes been added to the console version as well? It seems like the other changes you listed were already patched into the DLC, but I'm pretty sure these two weren't the last time I played.

I doubt I'll double dip on this one, since my co-op partner is on console. Still, these two things make this game infinitely more replayable.

Everything I talked about in "What's Changed" applies to the console versions (except for some specifics on the DLC). "What's New" is unique to the PC version.

Sectus

I just barely tested splitscreen, it's very well implemented. Player 2 can just press start on whatever input device is connected while in the lobby. So you can play with 2 players using gamepads, or 1 player on keyboard/mouse while the other is on gamepad. It works nicely with high resolutions as well. If you have a 2560x1440 monitor, each player is essentially playing at something around 1280x720.

Riposte

I just barely tested splitscreen, it's very well implemented. Player 2 can just press start on whatever input device is connected while in the lobby. So you can play with 2 players using gamepads, or 1 player on keyboard/mouse while the other is on gamepad. It works nicely with high resolutions as well. If you have a 2560x1440 monitor, each player is essentially playing at something around 1280x720.

What... I had no idea this had splitscreen! That's really handy...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
There are no words to describe how much time I'm gonna spend playing Mercenaries in this damn game. This plus Bioshock? Good lord!

Valnen

It looks like they're exactly like certain characters. Every move Coach does is identical to Chris, including taunt. Ellis is using Piers' animations, Nick is using Leon's animations and Rochelle is using Sherry's animations.
I'm guessing modding in other characters should be pretty easy then. Such as L4D1 survivors. Or Jill!

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
One warning about the benchmark: it's much more demanding than the actual game. At 2560x1440 my framerate got below 20 in the benchmark. In normal mercs in the full game, the framerate is 60 almost the entire time at the same resolution.

The relief washes over me in an awesome wave. I couldn't get the benchmark to run above 30 without making it look like a PS2 game. I knew my laptop could do better. I'm not getting 60 fps on every new release like someone with a dedicated gaming rig, but I've been happy to play Tomb Raider around 40 at high settings.

Holy shit at Onslaught mode! That's the perfect combo for me as a gamer. I'm a big puzzle game fan... what a peculiar mode.

All the online modes look like they can be fun. I hope they stay active with a healthy community for a while.

I hated the hour that I played of the 360 version when I rented it, but I was debating with myself whether I should give it a second chance on PC. The list of improvements over the unpatched version I played looks pretty incredible on paper - maybe not enough to "save" it, but at least make it bearable enough for the pretty visuals and mercs mode. I had considered even pre-ordering, but I already have RE5, the soundtrack is probably not up to much, and I have no need for a season pass since I have no desire to play this competitively online. People in the Steam thread managed to talk me down from the ledge and i'll now wait for the summer sale. £10 at 50% off sounds fair, and I might also wait to get Revelations at the same time.

More games need to start stealing this idea. QTEs are bullshit and it would be nice if I didnt have to put up with at least some of them if not all of them.

Anyway, buying this. The L4D2 spin off pushed me over the edge.

Top Bottom