• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something interesting in Battlefield 4 site source code

Baleoce

You know guys, just because they already have a preview ready doesn't mean they were paid off to make the preview. They probably aren't the only major website with an article ready, whether they've seen the game or not. It's a BIG release, of course websites are going to be talking about it.

Except that scenario now doesn't make sense. Scott Lowe wouldn't have bothered to look through the source and point it out like it was a mistake/assumption on EA's behalf if your reasoning was correct.

Peers

This guy is a rational and intelligent human being. GET HIM!

Ha, it's amazing this thread is still going on! Would you like an "official statement?" Here:

The reason why IGN's Scott Lowe tweeted out this source code thing is because we at IGN had no idea what it was and how it got there. We asked EA. They basically said someone used wishful thinking placeholder copy. We didn't write it, we didn't give permission, we don't share unpublished previews/reviews with publishers or developers. Someone was simply using a template for a promo page and staked out the spot where they'll list accolades.

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

We hugged it out, suggested they use loremipsum instead, they sent us a bunch of money, and we changed all our review scores for EA games to a 10 -- because that's how games media works.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

jimcarrey-liarliar.gif

Can see the page IGN BF4 page in a few months :

"Registered IGN members Pre order now through our GameStop link with the code IGN4-BF to be the first to read our exclusive review"

???

I'm sure that was just put there by some engineer as placeholder.

Right.

Ha, it's amazing this thread is still going on! Would you like an "official statement?" Here:

The reason why IGN's Scott Lowe tweeted out this source code thing is because we at IGN had no idea what it was and how it got there. We asked EA. They basically said someone used wishful thinking placeholder copy. We didn't write it, we didn't give permission, we don't share unpublished previews/reviews with publishers or developers. Someone was simply using a template for a promo page and staked out the spot where they'll list accolades.

Love always,
Peer
IGN

Nice spin.

JABEE

Love always,
Peer
IGN

Next time don't do exclusive reviews and work with publishers the way you do if you don't want people to jump to conclusions.

You might not give EA games 10s, but you are influenced by the contact you allow your staff to have with publishers and policies that allow things like "Bioshock Week" promotions to happen. You bring criticism on yourselves with the way you handle coverage of games.

When you purposefully feed into the hype of games the way you do, there is no way that editors don't treat certain games differently than they do others. You create that conflict of interest.

You can joke about not giving something a 10, therefore you aren't influenced, but you are, and that conflict is not only ignored but is encouraged in the way IGN does business.

I think this song sums up my feelings.

"9.5 is a great way to go. I hate to say 10. Ethics you know."

Next time don't do exclusive reviews and work with publishers the way you do if you don't want people to jump to conclusions.

You might not give EA games 10s, but you are influenced by the contact you allow your staff to have with publishers and policies that allow things like "Bioshock Week" promotions to happen. You bring criticism on yourselves with the way you handle coverage of games.

When you purposefully feed into the hype of games the way you do, there is no way that editors don't treat certain games differently than they do others. You create that conflict of interest.

You can joke about not giving something a 10, therefore you aren't influenced, but you are, and that conflict is not only ignored but is encouraged in the way IGN does business.

I think this song sums up my feelings.

"9.5 is a great way to go. I hate to say 10. Ethics you know."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like you're saying reviewers/editors can't get really excited about games and feed into their excitement.

Jharp

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like you're saying reviewers/editors can't get really excited about games and feed into their excitement.

Ideally, they shouldn't. At least not with regards to how they present their professional websites covering those games, and the expectation that they're impartial.

Top Bottom