• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us - Off screen footage from PAX East

Mr. Fix

The only thing I'm worried about is replay value and being able to play the game differently with subsequent playthroughs (most games usually allow for x weapon-only playthroughs, or speedruns). I still don't see this as an RE4 killer, but rather, another game you play once and just move on with. I'm all for cinematics, but gameplay was never Uncharted's forte. Prove me wrong, ND.

arne

You probably mostly read Naughty Dog related threads. That's how everyone else on this forum feels reading his posts in other threads all the time.
And I'm not even involved in the creation of these games he decides to comment on.

I read other threads, unfortunately I'm just not as up to speed on the various personalities as I used to be. There's a lot of good debates here, just wish it wasnt poisoned by someone telling us we're lying and hiding things.

IHaveIce

Banned
Graphics look fine like expected, but not a fan of the zombies. Really excited about the game.
Day 1.
Though I have to say something about this:
It's sad that you have to lie about it though, maybe you need to stop getting emotionally attached to games.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33369502&postcount=2244

That's the VGA reveal thread, the very first time the game is shown, and there's "zombies" as the main focus.

I can't believe people think this post was anything "badass" or cool thing to do?

You took a post that was a long long time ago... you know.. people forget stuff. I also forget everytime that this game has zombies, despite the VGA trailer.

Instead you searched his post history ( very mature thing to do, shoutouts to DetectiveGAF).

Funny how this stuff happens many times in Naughty Dog threads lol.

edit: lol and he got banned? Uuhm.. ok

Endo Punk

Offscreen footage has never made a game look appealing so I don't see why it will change here. And you can't get get a good feel of the tone and atmosphere with off screen which TLOU has in spades judging from proper footage. Im still excited and looking forward to see how the story unfolds.

I read other threads, unfortunately I'm just not as up to speed on the various personalities as I used to be. There's a lot of good debates here, just wish it wasnt poisoned by someone telling us we're lying and hiding things.

serious questions: any plans on releasing this game for PS4?

jett

D-Member
Will buy just to piss off jett :3

untitled-3pzmd3.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Arne are you allowed to comment on the ratio of human enemies to clicker/zombie (whatever they're called)?

I don't mind the strategy change when the latter comes into play but I'll be honest this game really impressed me when you guys showed the human encounters and how the human AI would change it's approach depending on what the player did. It didn't look like scripted or repeated actions and animations. So I'd like to see as many of those encounters as possible.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You took a post that was a long long time ago... you know.. people forget stuff. I also forget everytime that this game has zombies, despite the VGA trailer.
You forget so much that even when you're reminded, you still think you never knew about it? Is your name Leonard Shelby by some chance?

Vire

Yep, that's our track record too - propping up all our demos to pull a bait and switch later. All our U2 and U3 demos weren't propped up as you claim yet no one outside of the development team played them until preview code went out, no one doubted our crazy technical achievements. Sheesh. Healthy skepticism okay. But claiming any one is hiding anything without any proof is pretty specious. Please bring something real to this conversation other than unfounded accusations. It's almost insulting to me as a person. Thanks.

Owned.

Naughty Dog delivered the goods with every Uncharted based on what was shown at E3. I do not doubt for a second that the AI was scripted or faked.

Graphics look fine like expected, but not a fan of the zombies. Really excited about the game.
Day 1.

I can't believe people think this post was anything "badass" or cool thing to do?

Instead you searched his post history ( very mature thing to do, shoutouts to DetectiveGAF).

Drive by trolling has been a bannable offense as long as I have been here. Also I don't believe you forget the game has a zombie esque element it has been the prime focus of the games reveal and almost every preview until E3 where we got out first look at the humans. I could understand not being aware of this if I wasn't interested in the game at all but to form a opinion on something as he did at the VGA reveal which was 100% about the clickers and claim to have no recollection is BS.

sunnz

If the world is in the state is it, you obviously expect a lot more infected and such.

I don't get why people want so much human interaction, we see that crap so much it's boring. With clickers we see a new type of enemy that changes how you play. I think there is also a 3rd infected not properly revealed yet.

I think it's fine how it seems, a good balance.

Derrick01

Banned
If the world is in the state is it, you obviously expect a lot more infected and such.

I don't get why people want so much human interaction, we see that crap so much it's boring. With clickers we see a new type of enemy that changes how you play. I think there is also a 3rd infected not properly revealed yet.

Well in this game the AI seems to have been improved enough that it makes the human enemies fun to go up against. I can't imagine I will have that same level of interaction and stealth from what are basically zombies. They present their own stealth challenges for sure, but they're probably not as smart as a human enemy is.

The videos I've seen seem to back me up there. In the old E3 demo and other footage released you can see how different animations and strategies are used by the humans. The zombie things just seem to charge you if they spot you.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yep, that's our track record too - propping up all our demos to pull a bait and switch later. All our U2 and U3 demos weren't propped up as you claim yet no one outside of the development team played them until preview code went out, no one doubted our crazy technical achievements. Sheesh. Healthy skepticism okay. But claiming any one is hiding anything without any proof is pretty specious. Please bring something real to this conversation other than unfounded accusations. It's almost insulting to me as a person. Thanks.

I'm really looking forward to TLOU ... In fact it's my MOST anticipated game for years. I have absolutely no doubt that it will carry the typical ND stamp of quality. There's just two things I'd like to ask: In a developer diary we saw some of the same area that was played here, but I noticed a slight difference in the corridor where you pull the infected off the door to open it. To the right of that door (in the dev diary) there seemed to be more panelling on the wall. Is that just because this particular video is of a lower quality or did you change that for some reason? Second question (and I hope I'm not stirring the mud here): Have you considered adding a 'remove radar' in the options menu, or perhaps automatically remove it in 'Hard' mode? I'll be using it for certain and think it's actually pretty neat, but ... well, you know how the press work. As in the game, keep that ammunition at a minimum!

Vire

Well in this game the AI seems to have been improved enough that it makes the human enemies fun to go up against. I can't imagine I will have that same level of interaction and stealth from what are basically zombies. They present their own stealth challenges for sure, but they're probably not as smart as a human enemy is.

The videos I've seen seem to back me up there. In the old E3 demo and other footage released you can see how different animations and strategies are used by the humans. The zombie things just seem to charge you if they spot you.

Zombies sell.

If this game was strictly "The Road" in video game form, I'd doubt it would do very well.

At the very least, these aren't your typical Zombies and present a significant threat in that they can one hit kill.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not yet. Can't say more under threat of having the flesh flayed off of me.
Yes yes. Your "long-term PR plan". You're sticking to that story, huh?

I'm not at PAX but the talks I had with people there is that it's one of the more anticipated games, if not the most anticipated one that is being shown.
(Contenders that aren't at the show: BioShock Infinite, Watch Dogs, GTA5.)

People always want more info, more footage. Myself included. I don't envy developers that have to choose with what to hold back and what to show.

As an example, I was a fiend for Red Dead Redemption footage.

sunnz

Yea you have a point, I actually forgot about the advanced AI ( or as someone else says, the " fake" AI...) which could make human interactions a lot better.

I was playing F: NV and find human battles so darn boring compared to the creatures and such, so I may be a little biased in that sense lol.

And as someone said, these aren't your basic zombies, especially the clickers. They are different to how commonly zombies are dealt with in video games, going rambo/ running around is punished for example.

Vire

Yes yes. Your "long-term PR plan". You're sticking to that story, huh?

I'm not at PAX but the talks I had with people there is that it's one of the more anticipated games, if not the most anticipated one that is being shown.
(Contenders that aren't at the show: BioShock Infinite, Watch Dogs, GTA5.)

People always want more info, more footage. Myself included. I don't envy developers that have to choose with what to hold back and what to show.

As an example, I was a fiend for Red Dead Redemption footage.
In hindsight I'm glad I watched so little of Red Dead footage, because my mind was blown.

Zombies sell.

If this game was strictly "The Road" in video game form, I'd doubt it would do very well.

At the very least, these aren't your typical Zombies and present a significant threat in that they can one hit kill.

I Am Alive was The Road in video game form, and it did well.

I doubt Naughty Dogs would be restricted in creativity because of sales.

sunnz

In hindsight I'm glad I watched so little of Red Dead footage, because my mind was blown.

Same.

I was super hyped for this game and tried all I could to avoid every detail, even not going on the fourms like a week before release.

Totally worth it, such a brilliant game.

Same with this game, but my will has become worse and caved in lol.

I just feel that its suspicious that we haven't seen any human interactions since the E3 demo and that nobody's been allowed to experience the human A.I for themselves and instead they show enemies that are "stupid" instead.
Yes. That thread would be "They are STILL showing the E3 demo. When will they show us something new?"

Are you asking they show us a new area with human enemies? Why spoil more encounters. Oh, you want to see how the public plays against the AI? Would that be good for marketing? Having players experimenting and breaking the AI for your pleasure? They would have had to explain all of the crafting and healing before letting players play when there could be quite the line.

Do we know yet if you can sneak past areas without actually having to kill anyone, or does combat always have to happen? I've been on a media blackout until this thread.

It's quite obvious he didn't 'forget' unless he has an extreme medical condition.

noobasuar

Banned

Well it's not hard for anyone to believe that your U2 or U3 demos weren't real when they consist of fairly basic third person shooting. What you showed in TLoU regarding human interactions looked on a level that I haven't seen in many games before.

So of course I'm going to be suspicious when you're showing something off that hasn't really ever been pulled off.

For goodness sake, give it a rest Noobasaur, you're only shitting up the thread. Stick to Nintendo threads.

Very much appreciate Arne being here. Even though I'm not as hyped as I once was, I'm still looking forward to it. Of course, anything less than the best ND game ever will leave me disappointed. No pressure. :p

I Am Alive was The Road in video game form, and it did well.

I doubt Naughty Dogs would be restricted in creativity because of sales.

Man I loved I Am Alive. I hope Last of Us resembles it somewhat, minus the horrendous bugs and unpolish. They showed it a bit, but I'm hoping you can really hold up some unarmed humans with your gun and forced them to get down. The inclusion of a shout button in IAMALIVE was really neat...

And thanks for posting in this thread Arne! It's great for a developer to reach out to the passionate side of the community, even though it is usually quite obnoxious. Also, I was once on an elevator with Arne (at ND), but I didn't recognize him because of his always changing facial hair... I regret not talking with him!

Do we know yet if you can sneak past areas without actually having to kill anyone, or does combat always have to happen? I've been on a media blackout until this thread.

They've said that some areas are designed where you have to fight while you make it through others without coming into contact with anyone. The E3 demo was a section where you could make it through without every fighting.

Day 1.

Are you serious trying to turn this around to me?

His agenda was so obvious that it took me an whole single minute to find that post. And no, I don't buy that "I forgot" story. No one that watched the reveal trailer, the very first footage of the game that we got, could forget.

noobasuar

Banned
For goodness sake, give it a rest Noobasaur, you're only shitting up the thread. Stick to Nintendo threads.

Very much appreciate Arne being here. Even though I'm not as hyped as I once was, I'm still looking forward to it. Of course, anything less than the best ND game ever will leave me disappointed. No pressure. :p

Sorry but there needs to be people like me that take a more critical view on games, instead of just having a bunch of people circle jerking about games they haven't played yet.

arne

serious questions: any plans on releasing this game for PS4?

Not at this time. We're focused on shipping for PS3 - thinking about how to bring this over to the PS4 would distract us right now. IF that's something we can and choose to do, I suspect it would happen once we release the game.

Stark

Banned
Not at this time. We're focused on shipping for PS3 - thinking about how to bring this over to the PS4 would distract us right now. IF that's something we can and choose to do, I suspect it would happen once we release the game.

At least it's not ruled out!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

And of course, answering YES would mean some people may wait for the PS4 version! I won't, I promise.

How many teams do you have now? Still the two?

They've said that some areas are designed where you have to fight while you make it through others without coming into contact with anyone. The E3 demo was a section where you could make it through without every fighting.

That's good news then, thanks. I was kinda hoping the whole game would be that way, but that's not exactly realistic.

Not yet. Can't say more under threat of having the flesh flayed off of me.

Arne can you please answer my question on whether the PAX demo will be the same demo we'll get in early June apart of the GOW:A early access? We'll it be the same area, but will just updated, near final code? Or the exact same build?

Varna

Need to know which direction they pointing, so that player can jump them from behind. Taking them on from the front is suicide.

Why can't we just context sensitive lean buttons like in Crysis 2? Between good sound design and that there should be little need for such a system.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sorry but there needs to be people like me that take a more critical view on games, instead of just having a bunch of people circle jerking about games they haven't played yet.
Let's look at the posts you made.

Lol at looking through walls in a stealth game.
What happened to the emphasis on fighting humans? Did they realize they had nothing as impressive as the e3 demo to show? Seems kinda lame.
No I didn't but I thought the emphasis in the game was battling other humans. I'd like to see some actual players play through one of those sections to see how close it gets to the e3 demo or to see if that was all bullshit.
Exactly. Sorry but I don't buy this excuse of wanting to show off a new enemy, especially from
a company that ships games with broken controls. If the AI was as impressive as that e3 demo I doubt you would be hiding it from press/players until the game came out.
Well that's your story and you can stick with it but sorry if I don't buy everything that PR says. Some of us can wait before proclaiming something the greatest game ever and would rather remain skeptical rather than throw hyperbolic praise around.
I just feel that its suspicious that we haven't seen any human interactions since the E3 demo and that nobody's been allowed to experience the human A.I for themselves and instead they show enemies that are "stupid" instead.

Derrick01 was also critical of this game, as he is of every game, and has more posts, but he isn't singled out by anyone.

I don't think you get to use the card as "there have to be people like me" as to excuse your bad posts.
You are a thread shitter as you almost always are. Don't try to spin it positively.

Vire

Let's look at the posts you made.

Derrick01 was also critical of this game, as he is of every game, and has more posts, but he isn't singled out by anyone.

I don't think you get to use the card as "there have to be people like me" as to excuse your bad posts.

There's a difference between trolling and constructive criticism.

He's just trolling.

You are a thread shitter as you almost always are. Don't try to spin it positively.

We all accept by now that Derrick is dead inside. We try not to pay attention to his negativity as much...

NateDrake

Played it at PAX East. I felt it was a hybrid between Survival Horror -- atmosphere wise, at least -- and an Action game. The demo was enough to shoot my interest level from 'Hyped' to 'Need right now'.

Loudninja

Played it at PAX East. I felt it was a hybrid between Survival Horror -- atmosphere wise, at least -- and an Action game. The demo was enough to shoot my interest level from 'Hyped' to 'Need right now'.
How do you like the melee?

Looked great in the videos.

Top Bottom