• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix ships Tomb Raider 3.4M, Sleeping Dogs 1.75M, Hitman 3.6M

Pooya

GEQFqvy.png

doesn't include digital.
this is expected shipments because formal report comes in early May. but will be same as these.
this slide suggest all three didn't meet targets and price protection needed to move units.

ymmv

Banned
price protection needed to move units

What does this mean? Is this what happens when retailers buy full price games from SQ, then cut prices and SE has to pay them back the price cut deficit?

Pooya

What does this mean? Is this what happens when retailers buy full price games from SQ, then cut prices and SE has to pay them back the price cut deficit?

pretty much, it's cost to clear sold stock.

this is how Wada puts it

iV4vSQ0KRw8Y7.JPG

Hmmm, well sadly realistically speaking they may have to start cutting their developement budgets on high profile games or begin investing in much bigger marketing moves.

What are the current numbers for all 3 across both platforms?

EDIT: nvm.

Acidote

At this point in the market, I'm starting to believe they're excluding digital sales as a tool to mask and justify other problems.

FDC1

3,5M of Tomb Raider is "weak sales"? It has been released less than 1 month ago, what the hell did they expect?

Vexxan

Pretty big expectations considering they're not including digital sales...I only bought digital copies of their games.

Pooya

3,5M of Tomb Raider is "weak sales"? It has been released less than 1 month ago, what the hell did they expect?

the game was 4-5 years in development, announced in Dec 2010! large marketing, it's clear that it had massive budget, it's underperformed in relation to expectations, typically 4-5m seems to be a 'popular' expected target by big publishers.

Joni

Does this mean the European market is still holding strong, or that American markets just had a way sharper drop?

Topic title is wrong. NA sales were 2/3 of Europe's ("NA sales force was inneffective"), not the other way around.
Or two third of all sales in EU, and only one third in NA.

Recall

I love how it singles out EU in the thread title, bravo. Got to have that knee jerk reaction in the ready for when we get those who just start blaming EU without reading the op.

Shame millions of titles sold is no longer enough to meet their profit expectations :(

Lime

Oh man @ Metascore.

It's amazing that so many game reviewers hold such importance, especially when considering the fact that the vast majority of these reviewers are incompetent at properly analyzing and critically reflecting on the games they are supposed to assess.

the game was 4-5 years in development, announced in Dec 2010! large marketing, it's clear that it had massive budget, it's underperformed in relation to expectations, typically 4-5m seems to be a 'popular' expected target by big publishers.

If it comes close to 3.4 million in the first month not including digital downloads then it will easily sell 5 million lifetime.

Tizoc

Can we assume that digital sales would be able to balance out or increase the income/profit from these titles?

Ugh I hate how Metacritic gets to be a deciding factor for a lot of these developers and publishers. Some arbitrary score designations, random weighting, not to mention inclusion of inept and inane reviews into the formula makes it invalid yet publishers continue to use it as a benchmark.

Haunted

The wording confuses me, do they mean that NA only did 66% of Europe's sales, or that Europe was responsible for 66% of the overall sales?

Cyntec

Misleading title: "ships" doesn't mean "sold".

But yeah, I'm also wondering why SE says "weak sale" on "Tomb Raider" - for a reboot its doing pretty well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If it comes close to 3.4 million in the first month not including digital downloads then it will easily sell 5 million lifetime.
We don't know what it sold. Those are shipments. It could get another smaller shipment or it could not. Or are these even shipments? Lolz se can't even do earnings right.

Obviously no idea how the games did digitally.

The games did not meet expectations. Pretty bad news. Bye Wada.

Pooya

Topic title is wrong. NA sales were 2/3 of Europe's ("In particular, NA sales force was inneffective"), not the other way around.

Is it really? it's simple
x -> sales in Europe
y -> sales in NA

y =0.66x NA 2/3 of Europe

total sales '1.66x'. x/1.66x = 0.6 or 2/3 of sales pretty much!

I think you're right. but it doesn't change much :p

sublimit

Banned

Maybe they overshipped it but the game isn't selling as many actual copies as SE expected in order to cover its 5 year production costs.

Jackano

Those metacritic importance is ridiculous.
Games that sell 3.5M and are not "selling well" is ridiculous (should start by releasing it on Wii U too maybe).

Now that Wada had a good run, Matsuda have many work to clean the house it seems.

To summarize.

Games failed to meet sales expectation.
Retailers cut prices.
SE had to reimburse the retailers for them having to sell the titles at less than suggested price.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Even if they made a Hitman game that Derrick would have loved, its not likely to sell 1 million units in a year, let alone 3.6. Tomb Raider will probably be near the top 10 of the NPD, but its not going to do 3.4 million in a month. Even shipped, thats ridiculous.

NA being 2/3 of EU sales is especially bad given NA is by far the larger HD console market.

I notice DQX isn't mentioned anywhere in the reasons for the extraordinary loss? What happened with that MSN article?

kswiston

The OP is a bit misleading. All of those are sales targets as far as I know. Not sales or even shipments.

The easiest way to tell is that there is no way in hell that Hitman Absolution cleared 3.6M units shipped. They would have announced that on their last fiscal report.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It's amazing that so many game reviewers hold such importance, especially when considering the fact that the vast majority of these reviewers are incompetent at properly analyzing and critically reflecting on the games they are supposed to assess.

I'm more surprised by it because I still have yet to see any concrete data that metascore affects sales. At best you have circumstancial evidence, but there are a lot of high score games that flounder in retail, and a few low score games that sell well.

Top Bottom