• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

It will be when its finished.

3cUfQy4.jpg

Nebula

I go to bed and this is what I wake up to.

Well. Nice to see some more forging going on. Guardian is one hell of a task to undertake. It would also be nice to see a positive OT for once. Or at least one similar to the one Overdoziz did. Included all the Halo games which was nice.

Nebula

My interest has been peaked.

Did she even post in the last one?

Once, and that was to say she wasn't going to post in that thread again. Chances are she won't post in this one either.

How will Guardian play with universal sprint in the game?

I couldn't tell you. Probably poorly, seeing how sprint makes small maps feel even smaller.

Also how do you check how many posts someone made in a thread? I've always wondered how you do that.

DeadNames

Banned
Ugh 343 needs to put some forge maps in this game. Complex, Abandon, Adrift, and Solace all stink. Put in some forge remakes. Make forge island a required map in all playlists.

Hire DeadNames.

That Sanc remake would be pretty cool. It looks WICKED nice, which is a nice improvement. If it worked in Reach, it can work in Halo 4.

No, I would say forge island was sort of an unofficial gift from Vic and Kynan to tide fans and forgers over while corporate would rather they focus on the next game.

The nextbox is most likely coming for sale this year, it's why the map packs are out so quick. They know this game will have a shorter life span and I don't know why, but I have this feeling Halo 5 will be out in 2014.

As for CSR, I think a really good thing to come out of this, is how it works and it's valuable experience for 343. I hope they track the hell out these ranks, the stats and listen to any/all feedback on how to improve it. It makes it more likely for Halo 5 to ship with ranks from day one.

But how can 343 give us a gift under the iron grip of Microsoft?

Contradictions all over the place.

WJD

Just popped this in for the first time in about 4 months and holy shit I had no idea the population was so bad. Only one playlist in the thousands.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well CSR doesn't sound so bad but they really should feature them ingame.

Quitting gives you the lowest score possible that is ok.

But guests are still not addressed :/

What are you trying to achieve? You know what I meant, even if it was worded a bit poorly.

How can I know what your point is when you contradict yourself? You imply that 343 somehow snuck a free map onto the game because the Microsoft you described would never allow something so free.

Now I'm cynical as the next person but there's no reason to be flinging poop about this.
Still bitter about being unfollowed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to seeing how/if the ranks pull people back in and if it will help in getting better quality matches.

Madness

How can I know what your point is when you contradict yourself? You imply that 343 somehow snuck a free map onto the game because the Microsoft you described would never allow something so free.

Wtf are you talking about? You made that last part up yourself, go back and read what I wrote and then what you followed up with.

All I said was we tend to forget 343 are devs working under Microsoft who tries to get as much money as possible. Just like they forced Epic to stop giving away free maps for Gears and that forge island was sort of something 343 devs wanted to give the fans even if it wasn't necessarily high up on corporates list of importance, as they'd rather 343 shift focus to the next game.

Well CSR doesn't sound so bad but they really should feature them ingame.

Quitting gives you the lowest score possible that is ok.

But guests are still not addressed :/

While I do understand part of their reasons for not including it, it'd be nice if it was accessible in the UI, maybe not initially displayed on the player card, but within one click from the card.

Ramirez

Still bitter about being unfollowed?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to seeing how/if the ranks pull people back in and if it will help in getting better quality matches.

Not sure how he lives with himself anymore.

IHaveIce

Banned
While I do understand part of their reasons for not including it, it'd be nice if it was accessible in the UI, maybe not initially displayed on the player card, but within one click from the card.

Yeah put it under Service Record for everyone or something like this, if they really don't want to put it next to your name

Also about the coming rumble pit playlist.. I can now already say this playlist will be worse than the community ffa list, why?

Abandon, Solace and Adrift are in it. And it seems that the maps who won in the contest aren't in the list? Huh?

Wtf are you talking about? You made that last part up yourself, go back and read what I wrote and then what you followed up with.

All I said was we tend to forget 343 are devs working under Microsoft who tries to get as much money as possible. Just like they forced Epic to stop giving away free maps for Gears and that forge island was sort of something 343 devs wanted to give the fans even if it wasn't necessarily high up on corporates list of importance, as they'd rather 343 shift focus to the next game.

So how do you explain that Microsoft let 343 do this?

Madness

Yeah put it under Service Record for everyone or something like this, if they really don't want to put it next to your name

Also about the coming rumble pit playlist.. I can now already say this playlist will be worse than the community ffa list, why?

Abandon, Solace and Adrift are in it. And it seems that the maps who won in the contest aren't in the list? Huh?

I had a lot of fun in community FFA a little while ago. One map had a sword and a beam rifle on it, oh man it was amazing. I wish sniper spree and sword spree were still medals. The beam rifle is surprisingly easy to snapshot/headshot unscoped.

Have they said when or if the community maps will be put into regular rotation on no?

Fuchsdh

What type of map is it? What mode is it designed for? Just came in second on your Opus map like 10 seconds before I typed this.
I'm surprised people didn't see it initially, but it looks like it's coming along. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I don't think I'll stop being amazed at how much trees add to maps. Would be awesome if we got more foliage options in Halo 5.

Because it was a personal project, not an official goal, and I think even a Microsoft exec would look at Forge Island and not see how they could wring money out of it.

Madness

Uh, it's called giving the devs some degree of flexibility with their schedules. While it's a very corporate culture, its not a dictatorship. They gave forge island the same way Bungie gave the Cold Storage remake.

I bet Vic and Kynan probably got permission first on the grounds that they finish quickly or make sure it doesn't impact their work on the 'next big thing'.

I don't know what you're trying to prove here. Like I'm not understanding your point? Are you trying to take everything I say literally?

I'm surprised people didn't see it initially, but it looks like it's coming along. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I don't think I'll stop being amazed at how much trees add to maps. Would be awesome if we got more foliage options in Halo 5.

Because it was a personal project, not an official goal, and I think even a Microsoft exec would look at Forge Island and not see how they could wring money out of it.

But it was released. So surely that means that MS had to ok it at some point.

Edit: Madness - It just seems funny to make MS out to be evil and not letting 343 do anything and in the same breath be thankful that 343 were allowed to do it.

Madness

But it was released. So surely that means that MS had to ok it at some point.

Edit: Madness - It just seems funny to make MS out to be evil and not letting 343 do anything and in the same breath be thankful that 343 were allowed to do it.

No it doesn't seem funny. You're just trying to be facetious in your interpretation of what I said. I don't know why you've taken it this far when it was a simple observation from me.

It was a guerilla type project that Vic and Kynan wanted to do for the fans. Not necessarily wanted by corporate. But they did it for the fans and probably got the ok from Bonnie, Kiki, Frank and whoever.

I never stated Microsoft was evil. I said they are a harsh corporation, which they are. Bungie knows all about their rigid structure and tight deadlines and making sure money isn't spent on foolish projects.

So do you really think, with work already started on their 'next big thing' that they'd want two of their lead level artists and designers working on a free map for a niche forge community 5 months post launch? I bet if we asked Frank himself, he'd tell us that this was something the devs wanted to do for us, not necessarily corporate or the producers in charge etc.

This is all I'm going to say on this. Hopefully Ellis or Frankie can chime in here.

EDIT: to be fair though Fuchs, it's hard to think of guardian first. It looked familiar, but I couldn't see it, but I do now. Can't wait. He did a great job with the FFA map. Let's see how it plays.

No it doesn't seem funny. You're just trying to be facetious in your interpretation of what I said. I don't know why you've taken it this far when it was a simple observation from me.

It was a guerilla type project that Vic and Kynan wanted to do for the fans. Not necessarily wanted by corporate. But they did it for the fans and probably got the ok from Bonnie, Kiki, Frank and whoever.

I never stated Microsoft was evil. I said they are a harsh corporation, which they are. Bungie knows all about their rigid structure and tight deadlines and making sure money isn't spent on foolish projects.

So do you really think, with work already started on their 'next big thing' that they'd want two of their lead level artists and designers working on a free map for a niche forge community 5 months post launch?
I bet if we asked Frank himself, he'd tell us that this was something the devs wanted to do for us, not necessarily corporate or the producers in charge etc.

This is all I'm going to say on this. Hopefully Ellis or Frankie can chime in here.

How can it happen without them wanting it? We don't know who commissioned it first and that doesn't matter. Let's assume the two designers had the idea. They'd still have to make MS want it to happen for it to happen. MS doesn't just 'let' things they don't want happen. It's a two way street. MS doesn't always just ask particular devs to make games. The devs would come to them with ideas and MS greenlights the best ones. How is post-release content any different?

All I am telling you is that, given the fact that this map pack saw the light of day, Microsoft wanted this to happen. You said it yourself. You asked if I thought MS would want two lead level artists working on a free map. Clearly the answer was yes. Who wanted it first? Is that even relevant?

Now I'm cynical as the next person but there's no reason to be flinging poop about this.

Fleck-poo

Not sure if posted yet but Del Hoyo tweeted about potentially releasing a custom variant with no sprint, so not all hope is lost on that front.

Fleck-poo

Not sure if posted yet but Del Hoyo tweeted about potentially releasing a custom variant with no sprint, so not all hope is lost on that front.

My only issue is that with lack of customizable controls, you cut out sprint and other stuff, we have like 2 unused buttons and a dpad that lacks some functionality. Would be cool if they took a serious approach allowing for removal of sprint, AAs, and ordnance, then added in classic control schemes to go with it. By removal I mean as an option, not game wide.

5 pages already, AND a ban? Holy shit.

Bulletin was good this week. I really like how they're showing off the maps with the three videos and livestream. I hope they do this for all DLC in future games. HaloGAF should get a boosting lobby going for the achievements.

I still feel the same about the ranks. They would be a incredibly more useful if they were in game, and (to me) are pointless if they are on waypoint. People still play the objective in Lone Wolves games of Halo 3, almost 6 years later. If people can't see the ranks they really have no reason to care about objective gametypes, or winning. On top of that 343 is barley even advertising them so I'm sure most of the population won't even know they exist.

But it's better than nothing I suppose.

It’s been a delicate balance and one that we haven’t necessarily succeeded with but continue to work on. CSR, our partnership with top competitive players to build and refine Team Throwdown, adding pro options and arena-style maps to select playlists and our upcoming sandbox balances are a few of the things that we are working on for that particular part of our community on this title.

I don't know how to feel about this part. Sure he "doesn't necessarily" admit they messed up, but it seems like they're owning up to it. He goes on to talk about how some things can't be done, but honestly I think a lot of us already knew that. I think at this point a lot of us want the suggestions to be implemented within Halo 5. I dunno if 343 will ever admit that a peak population less than 50k (less than 6 months after launch) is not ideal, but I hope they at least realize SOMETHING needs to be changed.

Omni

God damnit. Miranda just died in my ME3 playthrough. First Tali, then Legion... definitely not what I was expecting. Ruined mah night

So about CSR or whatever it's called, does that change anything to do with the trueskill or whatever in matching with games? So is every playlist essentially a ranked playlist from Halo 3 rather than social now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom