• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer a healthy mix of the two. You should be able to at least outgun 2 people at a time if you are good. Let's face it - that stuff is fun, but it shouldn't be too easy or too hard to do. Teamwork is good and all, but you shouldn't need it just to finish up a firefight. That's just the way I see it though.

I'd love to go back to that simple gameplay, but in a way that works for next gen.

And that, my friend, is Halo 1. Friendly for all types of players with depth that has yet to be matched in later games.

And that, my friend, is Halo 1. Friendly for all types of players with depth that has yet to be matched in later games.

I'm telling you. I'd only play CE if

Agreed. They had all they needed for Halo 1. All they had to do was speed up the gameplay a little and tighten the controls, but instead they made it slower and floatier with aim assist/bullet magnetism for babbies lol

these were fixed. My Spartan needs weight and he needs traction. I feel like I'm missing the latter when I'm in a vehicle, and my Spartan never seems to jump how I want him to. It felt like a few knobs needed to be dialed up to 11.

I'm perfectly fine with Halo CE graphics and its art style. Just get that tighter control and precise gameplay to work, and we've got a gold mine. Hell, throw a progression system on top if you want.

I'm telling you. I'd only play CE if these were fixed. My Spartan needs weight and he needs traction. I feel like I'm missing the latter when I'm in a vehicle, and my Spartan never seems to jump how I want him to.

It felt like a few knobs needed to be dialed up to 11 and it would have been perfect. I'm perfectly fine with Halo CE graphics and its art style. Just get that gameplay to work and we've got a gold mine. Hell, throw a progression system on top if you want.

Although I miss Hog Wars, it's definitely for the best lol

HOWEVER now that I think about it, there should be an option to change the weight and other traits of vehicles to allow for such gametypes. THAT is the direction Halo needs to take. Hopefully with this next generation of hardware we'll see less cuts and player restrictions..

I wish 343 would just admit that Bungie made mistakes in development and not feel required to build off their mistakes and try to fix them in their own way. Halo 5 needs to reboot the multiplayer and not try to fix what went wrong in Reach & 4.

Blueblur1

But then once you break it down further, the gameplay design was fundamentally different once Halo 2 came around. Sure things like fighting for weapons and equal starts (the things Halo identifies with) remained consistent, but the gameplay design was much different.

What was once powerful, unique, simple and skillful gameplay in Halo 1 became watered down, redundant, detailed and easy in Halo 2+. The design also strayed from a powerful single entity a player can be (H1) to the necessity to teamshoot (H2). Another thing of note is that Multiplayer was tailor for made intimate firefights where 2v2s excelled and 4v4s felt perfect. And 8v8's were fun too.

Shoot the Rat Race Camo down with the Pistol from deep, XXY to backpack reload the Pistol as you shoot the AR once you pick up the Camo to disappear quicker, then XXY to backpack reload the AR as you switch back to the Pistol.

Ahhh, the finer things in Hail. Also when double melee's took skill and were risk/reward.

Agreed. They had all they needed for Halo 1. All they had to do was speed up the gameplay a little and tighten the controls, but instead they made it slower and floatier with aim assist/bullet magnetism for babbies lol

Yeah, Halo 2 was a big change and it was all very deliberate. I honestly hated it but after a few months the changes grew on me. I got used to the homing melee, weaker weapons and vehicle changes. It wasn't a radical change like Halo 4, and to a lesser extent Reach, were though. The core Halo gameplay was there and the controls were better than ever.

Man, seeing someone mention backpack reloading takes me back! Those glitches and the dangerous double melee were really fun glitches. They're the only ones I'll defend (unlike crap like BXR).

I don't know, it was one of the cousins birthday and he got some points card as a gift from family. I asked him what he used it on, he got some minecraft skin, and said he also bought some bacon weapon skin pack in black Ops II because his friend had it and it looked cool.

"Hey son what did you buy with those spacebucks we got you?"

"I bought this cool bacon skin that all my friends have!"

"Oh does that do anything in the game?"

"No."

"Oh."

Nowise10

Do tell.

haloaccess_25223.nphd.jpg

Yeah, Halo 2 was a big change and it was all very deliberate. I honestly hated it but after a few months the changes grew on me. I got used to the homing melee, weaker weapons and vehicle changes. It wasn't a radical change like Halo 4, and to a lesser extent Reach, were though. The core Halo gameplay was there and the controls were better than ever.

Man, seeing someone mention backpack reloading takes me back! Those glitches and the dangerous double melee were really fun glitches. They're the only ones I'll defend (unlike crap like BXR).

Marry me.

"Hey son what did you buy with those spacebucks we got you?"

"I bought this cool bacon skin that all my friends have!"

"Oh does that do anything in the game?"

"No."

"Oh."

"I'll buy two."

tumblr_mh5enhJXuf1rl07gno1_400.gif

Trey

I wish 343 would just admit that Bungie made mistakes in development and not feel required to build off their mistakes and try to fix them in their own way. Halo 5 needs to reboot the multiplayer and not try to fix what went wrong in Reach & 4.

They could just do what N00bs said.

And also:

expand the gametype editing and Forge suites so that the community can do most of the "what really works and what doesn't?" legwork

343 can push their vision in matchmaking while also making accommodations for what the community wants to play

Focus on map packs and Spartan ops seasons and other post game support

improve quality of life things like dedis/better netcode, better UI, better framerate, etc

Computer

Less time and resources spent on balancing load outs and AA's would only have a positive impact on the core game play.

10 things I want from Halo 5 Forge:

1. Palette Skins. I don't care if the pieces are the same. Allow different skins, like Forerunner, Desert, Weathered, UNSC, Covenant, etc.

2. More natural and scenery objects. All of the Covie stuff like Crates and Antennae, Jackal Watch Towers, etc.

3. All vehicles, including favorites like the Elephant (on the larger maps).

4. Varied terrain. Pick desert, snow, grass, urban, and asteroid-rockish version of the map. Meaning you essentially build 5 different versions of the Forge World.

5. Grouping objects together and duplicating groups (keep it organized like Photoshop layers with folders). Please don't make me rebuild that rock cave that I just did for Blue Team on Red Team.

6. At least 5 different skyboxes that change the time of day and the backdrop.

7. Broaden the palette to include more piece variety, but simplify the UI. You can contain all the various versions of "2x2" blocks under its own sub-menu. By extension, have better coloring options for these pieces so it's more noticeable.

8. Spawn preview, which allows you to test the perspective of every spawn you place immediately. By extension, allow the image from loadout cams to be attributed to your map.

9. This one is probably impossible, but it'd be nice if we could dig through the terrain to create holes, ditches, or gaps. Maybe a tool that creates hills too.

10. Undo/Redo button. 'nuff said.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just read the newest Bungie ailsack and they seemed to hitn that if you have some history of Halo gaming it could be you get something in Destiny. Neat.

Cow

The single most frustrating thing about Halo 4 is how good it could have been.

It really is a diamond covered in shit.

matthieuC

Couple of WIP screens for Archangel. I've only built the Gold minibase so far.

Would anyone be willing to capture the "nope" clip from my File Share? I need it because of reasons.
Looks very cool man.

Just some advice: Don't make your other structures too ornate like the current base, or I'm thinking you'll run into some framerate/lack of budget. Usually for me it's best to get the initial layout made before I start adding aesthetics. Good luck to you.

willow ve

I wonder how much of the CE magic can never be recreated because it literally wasn't a design decision. It was mistakes and rushed multiplayer ideas that were only partially implemented. It was a " broken" game that wasn't carefully planned and maybe that's why it was so good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TR72Ahs.jpg

This is my latest forge project. It's a symmetrical arena map inspired by Japanese architecture. It's similar to Sanc in layout.

I'm looking for name suggestions as I cant seem to think of any good ones.
I'm super late but this looks absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to see what comes of this.

Fuchsdh

10 things I want from Halo 5 Forge:

1. Palette Skins. I don't care if the pieces are the same. Allow different skins, like Forerunner, Desert, Weathered, UNSC, Covenant, etc.

2. More natural and scenery objects. All of the Covie stuff like Crates and Antennae, Jackal Watch Towers, etc.

3. All vehicles, including favorites like the Elephant (on the larger maps).

4. Varied terrain. Pick desert, snow, grass, urban, and asteroid-rockish version of the map. Meaning you essentially build 5 different versions of the Forge World.

5. Grouping objects together and duplicating groups (keep it organized like Photoshop layers with folders). Please don't make me rebuild that rock cave that I just did for Blue Team on Red Team.

6. At least 5 different skyboxes that change the time of day and the backdrop.

7. Broaden the palette to include more piece variety, but simplify the UI. You can contain all the various versions of "2x2" blocks under its own sub-menu. By extension, have better coloring options for these pieces so it's more noticeable.

8. Spawn preview, which allows you to test the perspective of every spawn you place immediately. By extension, allow the image from loadout cams to be attributed to your map.

9. This one is probably impossible, but it'd be nice if we could dig through the terrain to create holes, ditches, or gaps. Maybe a tool that creates hills too.

10. Undo/Redo button. 'nuff said.

In terms of what's likely, and a bit of what I think is critical:

*Undo/Redo. Yeah. I'd go further and suggest at least ten levels of undo, but this is one of the last major usability issues I see.

*Magnets Pro. Magnets are great but considering they still don't quite snap things the way they should, they're only saving me half the time they should.

*Palette skins--seems like a low-cost option for a high return. Forerunner, Covenant, human with basic stuff, and then maybe add in a selection of pieces unique to each faction to help differentiate them.

*Palette agnosticism--if they go the (smart) route of multiple Forge maps, allow us to choose which palette to load. I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of matchmaking ramifications.

*Natural objects: if Forge Island is any indication, they got the memo, and I'd love for more trees and rocks to get added.

*Hills. Short of revamping Forge with a true terrain editor, this is the last piece of the puzzle.

The copy/paste idea sounds interesting, not sure how that would work from a usability standpoint. Perhaps Halo Wars has a suggestion--hold down the button and "paint" a selection, use another key to unselect items you don't want to copy.

concept_art_cortana_chief__halo_Isaac_Hannaford.jpg

That's good Chief/Cortana art, that other thing...NOPE.

They're both nice. The issue I've always had with the above is how ridiculous the legs are in proportion to the torsos.

matthieuC

brKnDiN.jpg

48O4gDB.jpg

678SNmK.jpg

Some updated screenshots on my map Bushido. All geometry is pretty much done, I just need to do all the tedious stuff like spawns.

willow ve

Check this one out BTB fans (modded I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKqDoi_yEHI

Map looks solid. Hope to see Forge Island in matchmaking some day.

Also, the irony was thick in the video when the commentator says "plays like a classic Halo map, reminiscent of Halo 2 or 3 Big Team" and the video is showing a player crouching on top of the base with a DMR.

Some updated screenshots on my map Bushido. All geometry is pretty much done, I just need to do all the tedious stuff like spawns.

When you need playtesters post here on GAF. I would love to check this out if I have the time.

I love the japanese aesthetic

Ugh, spawns and respawn zones. I think it's safe to say that the only redeeming quality of adding these is when you're watching the hill marker expand over half your map. For a brief moment, you think "whoa, that's kinda cool" and then remember you have to do it 6 more times.

matthieuC

I love the japanese aesthetic

Ugh, spawns and respawn zones. I think it's safe to say that the only good thing about this is seeing the hill marker expand over half your map and thinking "whoa, that's kinda cool" for 2 seconds before you have to do it 6 more times.
Yep, spawn zones are downright awful. Luckily the duplicate tool keeps dimensions, so it's not quite as bad as Reach though.

And thanks for the praise guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom