• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I take expired NyQuil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarishBHR

I live in a college dorm and I just went room to room looking for NyQuil for my cold. The expiration date was 11/24/2006 (which happens to be my birthday, maybe a good sign).

Is this ok or not to take?

livestOne

Sure you can still take it nothing will happen... (literally)

Expiration dates are there to tell you when the chemicals will stop working.

Javaman

If it's been kept cool, sure, why not. They probably have a little leeway time in the expiration date. On the other hand, if it's been kept in the sun-- KERPOW.

Note-IANAD nor do I play one on TV.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I'm pretty sure White Man took some that expired years ago a little while back on his Christmas trip. He's still alive as far as I can tell, so go for it.

Tarazet

livestOne said:
Sure you can still take it nothing will happen... (literally)

Expiration dates are there to tell you when the chemicals will stop working.

...Except the alcohol.

ahem. Some drugs don't stop working when they expire some actually get stronger. Nyquil should be safe to take even expired as i believe it's best effect is from alcohol

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I pretty much ignore experiation dates on medicine. mainly because i've taken pills where the expiration date is 6 months after I get them yet I ingest them 2 years after that and they still work like they did when they were new.

my mom, who's a nurse and works with multiple pharmaceutical reps, has told me the same thing-- they're there primarily for the doctor's liability, so some asshole doesn't get a headache, get prescribed something, and then use it again in a year if they get another headache. it's so they go back to the doc, cuz it might be important if it turns chronic. stuff like that. plus, it doesn't hurt the bottom line of pharmaceutical companies if people come in and get new pills every six months or so. I'm not trying to say some "conspiracy theory" but business is business and if Pfizer doesn't make money off of HMO's constantly paying them money, they don't have money to spend on researching important things, like cancer or erectile dysfunction.

however, that's with prescription drugs, not over the counter stuff. so I have no idea.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
drugs don't expire until 5/10 years after the expiration date on the package. if they don't get sold before the exp. date or you take them to the chemist's to be recycled they get sent to africa or developing countries to be used there. the exp. date thingy is just to keep the market moving and make room for new products.

so yes, you can take that nyquil.

Phoenix

You're in a dorm. Surely someone, perhaps an RA, has some Nyquil you can take or has access to other medicnes for you to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom