• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft files trademark for Ascend: Hand of Kul. New name for Ascend: New Gods?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Ascend: New Gods was announced at E3 2012 and is/was slated for a release this year. The trademark for it was abandoned on the 25th of April this year however. Whether this new filing is the new name for "New Gods" or is a standalone/new game I don't know, but Microsoft nonetheless trademarked "Ascend: Hand of Kul" on the 2nd of May. The filing was posted today on USPTO's webpage:

Word Mark ASCEND: HAND OF KUL
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software
IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85921743
Filing Date May 2, 2013
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Microsoft Corporation CORPORATION WASHINGTON One Microsoft Way Redmond WASHINGTON 980526399
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?caseId=sn85921743&docId=FTK20130506080730#docIndex=1&page=1

This was filed using the TEAS Plus form, maybe it can have some relevancy. Perhaps the title has been reshaped for Xbox Darwin/Durango/Fusion/Infinity/Loop etc. and is to be shown on the May 21 event. Something's going on anyway. The name I think is considerably worse than New Gods though.

Raven77

"Hand of Kul"

Sounds like a Kinect game maybe, "YOU ARE THE HAND"!!!

Spiritual sequel to the Black & White series maybe? Always thought Black & White would work great as a Kinect game. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

sublimit

Banned
I just checked Ascend New Gods and oh boy they really stole the online phantom system of the Souls games.What's funny is how they proudly say it's a totally unique system. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjAUFoMfVE

Also the shadow smoke monsters seem to have been copied directly from Ico.

Don't get me wrong though,this could still be fun. ;)

MDX

The Hand of Kulio

coolio-300x199.jpg

Vert boil

http://playxbla.com/ascend-new-gods-is-now-ascend-hand-of-kul/

Yes, the rumors are true! We have changed our name from Ascend: New Gods to Ascend: Hand of Kul. We think it’s more fitting, don’t you?

While the internet offers many speculations on why the sudden name change, the real reason is this: A year has passed since our big unveil at E3 2012, and the New Gods are no longer “new”. It was a tough decision, but during their board meeting in The Sanctum a couple of weeks ago, the New Gods decided to step down from power.

Although the news came as a sudden shock to us, we agreed with their decision. Left without a governing body, we decided on our own that it would be more appropriate to give the title a more story-centric name. How? Well, you’re just going to have to play the game to find out.

Top Bottom