• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One is REQUIRED to be online at least once every 24 hours.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Whoever buys the Xbox 1 is considered trolling.

Joking aside, as a Xbox fan, it pains to see MS go this route. Why would they do that? For what purpose? How can they do that to the fans?

To maximize theoretical profits, and forgetting in the meantime that they need a userbase that actually buys their console for that. Its like they said "Well we now have.... xyz million users, which will stay with us because they can keep their gamerscore. How can we get more money from them?"

So if your friend registers the disc you give him and he pays the full price for it does it then get removed from your console? Is that why there is a 24 hour limit? So it forces that game off your console? I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a used disc and then also pay $60 for the license. Is this a way to pay lip service to being able to sell your discs or something? No one would ever fucking buy one though. This just seems like a result of tying a single unique code to every disc. Why even bother with that? Just require the console to be online the first time you activate a game (like it already is).

No, in that case both of you bought a new copy of the game. We dont know anything about selling the digital game content yet.

OW GOD!
Just had time to watch and read gaf..

THE TEARS!!!! GIMMIE GIMMIE

Man, is there an industry that is so crazy like a crazy race!?!?!?!??!?! I LOVE GAMES!
They should make a game where you control a game company.. OWW THE SWEET SMEEL OF TEARS!

PS.: Please, dont bane me! Im just happy because I'm going on vacation to Disney World for the first time (im 30) and this just happened!

= )

This might be my favorite post from today (im 30).

Freki

Let's think about this for a second though. What is the reasoning for this 24 hour limit? Like what is the DRM reason for this to exist? This isn't some abstract question. Given the information we know about how the registration works on both this and the 360 what reason is a 24 hour limit needed?

I was going to type up a bunch of scenarios, but they got so complicated I gave up. Anyone wanna give it a go?

I feel like knowing how the discs work is key here. Do they have unique codes on them that can tell when they have been installed before? Or does it need the internet to verify those codes? People say Playstation All-Stars did this, but did it use a network connection to install that Vita copy and confirm the code had been used?

Games are tied to Xbox Live Accounts from now on.
Microsoft wants you to be able to sell those games - over Xbox Live.
Microsoft will put up an Auction House for you to sell those games. (Think RMAH from D3)
Microsoft will take a cut of the proceedings and split it with the games publisher.
Microsoft has to make sure you cannot use a sold game any longer.
The 24h always on connection will accomplish this.
You will be able to play a sold game for a maximum of 24h after it was sold.
Afterwards the neccesary authentication will fail as the game in question is no longer tied to your account.

k-bigpic.jpg

What's the story behind this picture? I've seen it posted in a couple of places

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yep.

So I've been vindicated on BOTH the online AND used games, one month ago in a thread talking about how used games would be blocked. And mantained my position when rumours and company emails started going around to debunk always online and anti-used games shenanigans.

Edit:
Here it is, April 23rd when I was mocked:

Thread: Xing Interactive - Our sources say next Xbox will block used games, require online

Dash Kappei said:
Always online = true
Blocking used games = not really, but in a sense they will.

Dash Kappei said:
Lol, that's not what my tag refers to, nor the reason I got it in the first place. That was because I double posted for the sake of getting my post on the new page during an argument on the FWC Footie thread a few years ago. :)

You can believe what you want, of course. However, you're right, you should treat my posts as just my speculation, as I've said before myself countless times. The only person I would reveal my source (IF I have/had a source) would be to Evillore and Evilore only, if he were to ask me by pm (and not via a GAF post): I'm definitely not risking losing future job opportunities or compromise a friend just to look cool on a gaming forum.

REVENGE

;-)

fallagin

OW GOD!
Just had time to watch and read gaf..

THE TEARS!!!! GIMMIE GIMMIE

Man, is there an industry that is so crazy like a crazy race!?!?!?!??!?! I LOVE GAMES!
They should make a game where you control a game company.. OWW THE SWEET SMEEL OF TEARS!

PS.: Please, dont bane me! Im just happy because I'm going on vacation to Disney World for the first time (im 30) and this just happened!

= )

What.. this post is weird.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoever buys the Xbox 1 is considered trolling.

Joking aside, as a Xbox fan, it pains to see MS go this route. Why would they do that? For what purpose? How can they do that to the fans?

Look at their sales charts. Notice when Kinect was released, and what happened

farisr

Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

Basically, pursuing disc-free operation has led to the creation of this crappy requirement.

Edit: And now I'm a member, LOL.

This is what always-online looks like. It might not be every-5-minutes bad but your Xbox will be unable to play single player games without an internet connection at least once a day.

Well, fuck me with a cactus dipped in acid. It's all even way worse than I imagined. They're gonna have to drastically turn around their whole philosophy by system launch or else this bloated box is DOA.

CTLance

Holy crap, and here I thought it couldn't get any more disgusting. How dare they.

XBone "features" read like a publishers' dream come true though. Unprecedented partnerships everywhere!

Jopie

Am I the only one who is imagining a Resetti style character that pops up and yells at you if you don't connect?
At least that would add some fun to the system.

ZeroFate

I know some people in this thread are downplaying this, thinking that most people won't have to go longer than 24 hours without internet. I've been without internet for FIVE weeks (currently GAFing it up at work, no judging). I just relocated to Germany and the internet companies here are NOTORIOUS for taking their sweet ass time initially setting up internet for your home.

Know what I've been doing to pass the time? Catching up on my PS3 backlog. Know what I wouldn't have been able to do with a freakin X1?

Not to mention they're completly screwing over deployed military members. I've been deployed twice for 6 months at a time, and let me tell you... being able to game is a huge morale booster.

I'm hoping most people won't support this nonsense with an X1 purchase, but stupider things have happened...

dancmc

Thankfully I lose my power more frequently than my Internet so it won't really be an issue for me. I am still trying to understand if the outcry on always online (or once every 24 hours) is more theoretical than actual concern.

TheGamer

I heard another rumor that the Xbox One actually requires power to run

I also heard rumors of an invention called generators. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but during Hurricane Sandy, I was without power for 11 days. I had a generator powering one room, which included a TV, PS3, mini-fridge, heater and a light stand. All cable lines were down, thus there was no internet or TV. Only having the PS3 for entertainment during those 11 nights kept me sane.

Cartman86

Banned
To maximize theoretical profits, and forgetting in the meantime that they need a userbase that actually buys their console for that. Its like they said "Well we now have.... xyz million users, which will stay with us because they can keep their gamerscore. How can we get more money from them?"

No, in that case both of you bought a new copy of the game. We dont know anything about selling the digital game content yet.

If that is the case then what is the point of the 24 hour thing?

Games are tied to Xbox Live Accounts from now on.
Microsoft wants you to be able to sell those games - over Xbox Live.
Microsoft will put up an Auction House for you to sell those games. (Think RMAH from D3)
Microsoft will take a cut of the proceedings and split it with the games publisher.
Microsoft has to make sure you cannot use a sold game any longer.
The 24h always on connection will accomplish this.
You will be able to play a sold game for a maximum of 24h after it was sold.
Afterwards the neccesary authentication will fail as the game in question is no longer tied to your account.

Why do that? It seems arbitrary. If you sell your game in this Auction House why not require the users to both be online at the same time for the transaction to go through?

Freki

Why do that? It seems arbitrary. If you sell your game in this Auction House why not require the users to both be online at the same time for the transaction to go through?

You could have logged in on another box with your account and activated the game there. If this console were to stay offline you could keep the sold game on it.

shaowebb

I guarantee that pirates will be so pissed at Microsoft that they will find a way to simply hack the system so it will read and install your game with a fake password offline and send dummy signals somehow to pass inspection check via proxy servers.

The more you antagonize your market and the more unattainable you make your product for the general consumer the more likely they will turn to piracy for answers and the more you empower the pirates to generate solutions.

Gabe Newell stated similar.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If that is the case then what is the point of the 24 hour thing?

So that you can't install the game and then give the DVD to your buddy for him to use it since then you'd both be able to play the game at the same time. That way you also can't account share.

Rich!

When I moved house back in January, it took 3 weeks for Sky to set up our broadband.

Lets say I had an xbox one at that point. For those three weeks, it would have been a goddamn useless paperweight.

THAT is the issue. I'm not ever buying it and I'm astounded that some people still intend to.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
Since I can't post a thread due to my junior member status, here is the full breakdown + some theory filling in the gaps as to what MS has announced in regards to console operation so far.

Games have mandatory installation and can't be played off discs. Whenever a game disc is inserted and the game is not installed, an Xbox Live connection is required to initialize the install with a one-use key. On the first console you install the game on (main console that is associated with your account) the game will work for any user, and can be played without a disc in the console.

If the game disc is put in a console not mainly associated with your account, the game's install will be a limited one (where only your account is allowed to use it). If another user wants to play the game, they will be required to connect to Xbox Live and pay a fee (which is full price right now according to a statement). If the fee is paid, it becomes available to all users on the console.

Now for the second part. Everytime you log into your account, all the game licenses you have get activated for the console you're playing on (if this is your main console, it allows the game to be played by anyone, if it another, the license only applies to your account). This in turn sends out a deactivate license command to whichever other console had an active license for your games. So if that console happens to be connected to Xbox Live for a bit with whichever account, the games that are licensed to you will stop working right away.

Back to a console with an activated license. Once you disconnect from Xbox Live, a 24 hour timer starts on the game's license validity on that console. Once the license is up, you will be locked out of playing the game until you log back into Xbox Live with your account which will bring the licenses back to active status.

This is done by MS to prevent this type of scenario (with their game installation licenses):

Take a game like Skyrim which can take days if not weeks to complete and can be played completely offline for that amount of time.

Now User A has the license to Skyrim. He goes to User B and installs the game to Console B with his own account. Now User B disables the internet connection and plays Skyrim with User A's account for weeks on end, enjoying the game for free with no money spent on it while User A could also be playing Skyrim on his console while logged in online.

The only thing User B misses out on is achievements on his own account, but many people would not mind not getting achievements on their own account if they got to play games for free.

Anyways, with this 24 hour requirement. User B would only have a 24 hour period (rather than an infinite amount of time) to play Skyrim even while his Xbox was in complete offline mode and he was using User A's account offline.

Basically, pursuing disc-free operation has led to the creation of this crappy requirement.

Edit: And now I'm a member, LOL.

Thanks for this! The 24 hour requirement seems logical now, though still completely unacceptable as far as how licenses are managed. Today, if a friend wants to borrow Skyrim, he can have my disc and I can't play it until he gives it back. If he wants to play it on Xbox One, I have to loan him my username as well as the disc, and will be barred from using my own account on my own Xbox One until he's done playing on his console.

Good. There wasn't a new thread needed for your theory. It's perfect here.

Top Bottom