• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Boogie (Wii)

reminder

http://www.tothegame.com/game_pressrelease.asp?id=318

Electronic Arts announced today that Boogie – an all new intellectual property in development at EA Montreal will be released exclusively for the Wii worldwide in 2007. Boogie is a unique music/rhythm-based game that takes advantage of the innovative Wii controls to get gamers off their couch, playing and dancing to a new beat.

“We’re creating something new and different for gamers of all ages to enjoy; the complete party package where gamers can dance as well as sing,” said Alain Tascan, Vice President and General Manager, EA Montreal. “Nintendo’s Wii is an amazing console that really gives us a platform to be creative and to re-think traditional game development.”

Boogie will have gamers dancing, singing and starring in their own music videos. Players can also choose and customize different characters in the game to best show off their dancing style and karaoke skills. With innovative gameplay that perfectly matches the unique Wii controls, Boogie is the ultimate videogame party package.

Boogie is the latest addition to EA Montreal’s roster of high profile games including SSX Blur and ARMY OF TWO. SSX Blur is the newest version of the critically acclaimed snowboarding franchise that shipped exclusively for the Wii in February. EA Montreal is also working on ARMY OF TWO, the highly anticipated shooter and original intellectual property that will redefine strategic two-man cooperative play. The game was ranked at the top of the list in Electronic Gaming Monthly’s Top 50 Coolest New Games cover story in their August issue. ARMY OF TWO will be released for the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system.

screen1_large.jpg

screen2_large.jpg

screen3_large.jpg

screen4_large.jpg

screen5_large.jpg

Just finished reading the press release. This could actually be fun. A party game that's not a mini game! And the karaoke part. And an actual exclusive(?) new IP from EA(wow).

I want more infos though!

I thought EA Montreal was the Wii only studio? Why are they developing a 360/PS3 game? Stop wasting their time and make them work on the Wii exclusively, EA.

Jim

truth-lasers said:
This pr-thing went up on Gamespress earlier before it suddenly was removed. Not back up yet.

I noticed that.. it was up for like 2 minutes then pulled.

LOCK

I'm already in love.

God what the hell happened to EA, they use to make nothing but crap...now they are just awesome lately.

andthebeatgoeson

Repeat after me: EA is showing developers how to dev for the Wii. Shocking, I know.

I know in a year or two, it'll be sequel, sequel, sequel but they are gaining my respect more and more. But they are actually putting in alot of effort, dev'ing new ip's, and trying to pursue different genres early in the life cycle. Kudos to EA.

skinnyrattler said:
Repeat after me: EA is showing developers how to dev for the Wii. Shocking, I know.

I know in a year or two, it'll be sequel, sequel, sequel but they are gaining my respect more and more. But they are actually putting in alot of effort, dev'ing new ip's, and trying to pursue different genres early in the life cycle. Kudos to EA.

They are like the Wii's Capcom. Only a bit crappier and with waaaaay more cash. I hope to see more ips and games like these EA, especially since they are so cheap to produce.

Jiguryo said:
Me likey. The background characters are pretty cool, reminding me of Tim Burton somehow.

Yeah, the bg characters are great. I hope they are as prominent as the Rabbids in Rayman.

skinnyrattler said:

I agree 100%.

I've never been more interested in EA than I am with the Wii. They started with making the amazing Madden 07, and followed up with possibly my favorite Wii game so far in Blur.

Borys

Banned
You people are either goddamn stupid or blind.

That's a 3 million seller in the first 6 months especially if it has licensed music a la Tony Hawk games.

I'm intrigued as to how (this portion?) of the game controls. Any guesses?

Edit:

I presume the wiimote controls the pair of eyes on the screen, and the orientation of the nunchuck has to match instructions you are given.

Emowii

Banned
This look totally ridiculous, but that could be a good thing.

I guess this is one of those secret "third party exclusives" we've been hearing about for a while now.

maynerd

Banned
Just cause they mention karaoke doesn't mean there is a mic. They could be just saying while dancing you can sing along. Singing isn't confirmed to be integrated into the game. Just playing devils advocate before people get too excited.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
skinnyrattler said:

Well every possible analysis points to that being what sells on Wii, so even EA has to accommodate that given the Wii's success.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
chibcicylist said:
I thought EA Montreal was the Wii only studio? Why are they developing a 360/PS3 game? Stop wasting their time and make them work on the Wii exclusively, EA.
EA Vancouver & EA Salt Lake are making games exclusively for the Wii. EA Montreal are working on Wii games + Army of Two

Varjet

Is it just me, or do the background dancers really look like Pikmin:lol

edit: well, apparently it's not just me :p

KINGMOKU

Borys said:
You people are either goddamn stupid or blind.

That's a 3 million seller in the first 6 months especially if it has licensed music a la Tony Hawk games.
If it uses the Mii's, I agree. You run a series of television ads, showing housewifes, dads, kids, singing with thier Mii's, to some popular songs, and this game could be a MEGATON hit. If it's using some lame ass charactors, it will be a bomb.

I dont know if that report was true,(About Nintendo having a strangle-hold on Mii's usge) but if EA wants this game to explode(And it will) they HAVE TO use the Mii's.

moku said:
If it uses the Mii's, I agree. You run a series of television ads, showing housewifes, dads, kids, singing with thier Mii's, to some popular songs, and this game could be a MEGATON hit. If it's using some lame ass charactors, it will be a bomb.

I dont know if that report was true,(About Nintendo having a strangle-hold on Mii's usge) but if EA wants this game to explode(And it will) they HAVE TO use the Mii's.
Would Nintendo risk that and steal Wii Music's thunder?

So it's a rythm game coupled with a karaoke game?

Why did no one else got this idea earlier? If done right this could be huge, I mean everyone is posing around while doing singstar (or anything like that) anyways. Implementing it in the actual game would be great and could lead to hillarious moments :D .

But no licensed music=no sale, so I hope EA has something going there. Oh and with licensed music this will sell truckloads in Europe.

Top Bottom