• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(HuffPost) So Long, Sony: New Xbox One Will Be the Most Successful Console Yet

zroid

Banned
The sad thing is I'm actually starting to believe this crap.

(that it's going to be ridiculously successful in spite of itself)

Dang it Yaverbaum you're supposed to include '™' after Microsoft-owned properties such as XBox Live™/ XBox One™/ THE CLOUD™ and 'experience'™ in your press-releases ya goon

pargonta

"a device brimming with extraordinary technical achievements (consider the SoC, rapid-speed 8 GB RAM, and an 8-Core CPU with on-chip GPU) that will play the most graphically impressive games to ever appear on a console"

lol, so blatant

Haunted

brimming with extraordinary technical achievements
rapid-speed 8 GB RAM
most graphically impressive games to ever appear
better than ever
a transformative gaming experience
unparalleled capability
technically superior service
a champagne-popping ceremony
extraordinary capabilities
leading with such length in every facet
Microsoft has won the war
seems legit

Ocaso

we know that. The problem is still the early adopters. If they don't buy the system, the casual audience won't come as fast or as naturally behind it to live up the MS's strategy

It's possible that Microsoft may have a Wii-like phenomenon in their hands with this machine.

It's also possible that the WiiU will turn its downward slump around and road to an underdog victory this generation.

Both scenarios are unlikely. For MS, the reality is that people aren't going to pay $400 or more for a TV enhancer. Gamers will, for a game machine, but not one where gaming is secondary.

Edit: Article also fraught with inaccuracies. Pretty sure paid Xbox Live subscribers are not 46 million but less than half that, and the service is most certainly not $60 a month. The article was clearly written by someone who bought into Microsoft as an infallible success beyond what reality dictates.

RibMan

just pay Oprah/Ellen to promote the console.

Oprah definitely loves Microsoft products

121120025009-oprah-surface-tweet-story-top.jpg

Positive news for x1 is pr .....negative news for x1 is face value. OK gaf.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would mistake this:

Not only is the Xbox One a device brimming with extraordinary technical achievements (consider the SoC, rapid-speed 8 GB RAM, and an 8-Core CPU with on-chip GPU) that will play the most graphically impressive games to ever appear on a console, but the network it is connected to is much bigger and better than ever.

for PR.

Holy shit.

And there it is. The uninformed media eating into the shit about the cloud buzzword. Microsoft knew full well that all they have to do is make it sound great and use the right buzzword and people will eat it up and the media will market it for them. It pisses me off that they're doing this tactic and that's the first sign of it working.

Courage

most likely yes. The fanboys most of all. But what if we see the Wii U all over again ? Just the early adopters and no one else buying ? I seriously doubt it anyway because it's Microsoft and there will be much bigger and broader games at launch and all the third parties (CoD, BF, Watch Dogs, Ass Creed...)

Well, the major problem with the WiiU was the lack of marketing. By this Fall, Microsoft is gonna let everyone know the Xbox One will be the essential entertainment system to buy, whether we like it or not.

There were also the lack of games. 15 exclusives for this year sounds pretty decent.

I love the super-elegant way my Xbox One won't know what I recorded last night so I'll have to find my cable remote anyway and when I'm talking to someone else in the room it will interrupt the playback if I accidentally talk about what will be playing on NBC that night.

Does this person understand even the basic tenants of hardware? "brimming with technical achievements". I didn't realize lackluster PC parts with some modification was an amazing achievement.

RobbieH

Best Selling Author Guy said:
Xbox Live has 46 million subscribers paying $60 a month to play games online. It has been a sparkling success.

The "infinite power of the cloud," as they call it, brings with it the unparalleled capability for users to flawlessly play multiplayer games with friends without delay and the added capability to record and share their gaming achievements over the Internet. It is difficult to understate the experiential difference between this paid and technically superior service and Sony's less impressive PlayStation Network.

In the same way that people can no longer remember their phone numbers because smartphones have rendered such knowledge redundant and inconsequential, Xbox One will make remembering television channel numbers a thing of the past.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This, ladies and gentlemen, was Microsoft's intended audience of last Tuesday's event.

Funny thing is, Microsoft implied that was who the unveiling was intended for as well. That memo missed most of the people here.

There is so much brown nosing in this article that my PC is beginning to stink. What a load of crap that was. Clearly someone is looking to make some friends in MS's inner circle

i stop reading after

rapid-speed 8 GB RAM

he has no idea what he's taking about.

and he might be right. Apple is doing really well.

People needs to watch the Tim Cook's Senate Appearance on Tax Policy. It's fucking amazing. And I thought jon stewart was trolling.

NBtoaster

Chief among all complaints, however, has been that Microsoft's presentation focused too strongly on how the Xbox One will change how people behave in living room, and not strongly enough on how the device will improve gaming.

The chief complaint has been the goddamn DRM.

And no, the TV features that will probably be behind paywalls and be unavailable to most of the world wont make it the best sellling console ever.

But unfortunately people are spineless and it probably will be a huge seller.

Not sure what this writer is saying, the console in comparison to the PS4 is lacking power and uses more system resources for non-gaming purposes. It's not for me, but likely resonate with a non-hardcore crowd.

pargonta

his bio for full disclosure:

"Eric Yaverbaum is the Best Selling Author of six books including the famed Public Relations For Dummies (Wiley).

With more than 25 years of experience to the practice of public relations, Eric has earned a reputation for his unique expertise in strategic media relations, crisis communications, and media training. He co-founded Jericho Communications in 1985, the 11th ranked PR firm in the country to work for and served as its president before it's successful merger in 2005. He then founded Ericho Communications in 2006 and has offices in New York City and White Plains.

In 2011, Eric joined forces with the top social media experts in the industry to launch four social media magazines (Tweeting & Business, FB & Business, LI & Business, The Big G & Business) which has a combined business circulation of over 14 million."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-yaverbaum/

nero2082

very entertaining article, but it's lacking some serious buzzwords, it is not 8-Core CPU, they are state of the art processors goddamnit

at least he mentioned infinite power of the cloud

commedieu

Banned
And there it is. The uninformed media eating into the shit about the cloud buzzword. Microsoft knew full well that all they have to do is make it sound great and use the right buzzword and people will eat it up and the media will market it for them. It pisses me off that they're doing this tactic and that's the first sign of it working.
I think we all know its going to work, for some people. But, a lot of gaffers wont be among them. They sold kinect ffs hehe...

DrLazy

Doesn't have DVR. Doesn't have an HD antenna. It doesn't have a single discernible feature that's superior to the PS4 (MAYBE the Kinect, but that's yet to be tested against Sony's camera). It doesn't replace those things. Therefore it IS competing against those products.

Just saying, "pop the champagne" we have no competition" is completely boneheaded. The I-Pad was a device like that. The I-Phone was a device like that. Both ushered in a new type of product. This one does not. It is an upgraded version of the Xbox. Upgraded graphics, upgraded Kinect, upgraded controller and supposedly upgraded Xbox Live.

There is no revolutionary change for gaming. Saying "the cloud" is revolutionary without a single concrete example is ridiculous. If anything, I'd say Sony is ahead in "The Cloud" because they offer Cloud based gaming through Gakai. That seems more revolutionary than offloading some AI functionality because your on-board specs are sub-par compared to the competition.* Talking about PSN as if its some after-thought service is wrong as well. Its a FREE service that has been vastly improved over the life of the PS3 and looks to keep getting better. Part of the reason for Xbox's success is purely based on first-mover advantage and the momentum that created for Xbox Live. At this point if your friends already having Xbox Live they can't all be bothered to get everybody to switch to PSN. Its certainly not because of dramatically better service at this point. PSN or Playstation Plus are the better "deal" IMO, but its debatable. I know they don't hide Netflix behind a pay-wall. Another Microsoft Xbox Live -- a microphone that comes with the system -- is now being replaced by the Kinect. We'll see if it works as well as a headset for online gaming.

*Sorry, I forgot. Xbox One is a Revolutionary new product because it allows me to Skype and play games at the same time (I don't do that already on my PC, I swear).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Last paragraph and the tech "evaluation" from early in the article made me think I was reading something on Onion.

commedieu

Banned

"Eric Yaverbaum is the Best Selling Author of six books including the famed Public Relations For Dummies (Wiley).

With more than 25 years of experience to the practice of public relations, Eric has earned a reputation for his unique expertise in strategic media relations, crisis communications, and media training. He co-founded Jericho Communications in 1985, the 11th ranked PR firm in the country to work for and served as its president before it's successful merger in 2005. He then founded Ericho Communications in 2006 and has offices in New York City and White Plains.

In 2011, Eric joined forces with the top social media experts in the industry to launch four social media magazines (Tweeting & Business, FB & Business, LI & Business, The Big G & Business) which has a combined business circulation of over 14 million."

You are kidding....

You are fucking kidding me...

COME THE FUCK ON.

edit;

Its not even written by a normal person. The article is an ad. But I will say, I felt his excitement. Good writer.

nib95

Banned
I'll take him up on that. I have faith in core gamers and believe that if the current policies hold up, and Sony does not follow suit, the PS4 will be the dominating console this gen. Add to that, this author forgets that the US is not the world.

This confirms he was pretty much paid by MS to advertise.

TheMink

...Not only is the Xbox One a device brimming with extraordinary technical achievements (consider the SoC, rapid-speed 8 GB RAM, and an 8-Core CPU with on-chip GPU) that will play the most graphically impressive games to ever appear on a console...

...if your okay with second place...

Top Bottom