• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rip models & maps from any 3D game

CO_Andy

3D Ripper DX allows you to rip models & whatnot from DirectX 9.0 applications (emulators included). Have yet to test it out myself, but apparently you'll need a really beefy pc.

dcbdfc0763.jpg

Utility: http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm
Thread topic: http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=37091

Dali

Looks pretty awesome as an educational tool. See how the [good] pros piece together their meshes. Does it support Lightwave extensions?

Chittagong

Gold Member
This tool should lead to way more awesome Strategy Guides as they can have proper maps and pictures of all objects.

... nah, let's not kid ourselves.

please make it export out to something other than 3DSmax Kthnx. Seriously OBJ is supported by almost every 3d app out there export to that.

*edit*

My mistake they do have an OBJ exporter niceness

Zapages

Oldschoolgamer said:
That would own.

It would to a degree, before it becomes so popular like Mugen where some characters become so powerful that they make the originals seem last tier... This is coming from someone who created stages and made a complete replica of SFA 3 in Mugen before CPS 2 was completely emulated nor there was PS1/PSX emulator out there.

Ronok

Wait what? I can rip and check out peoples models in 3DS Max? This is really going to help me out I've been dying for something like this. XD

Grayman

Could I use this to get a map of the castle of ico? I only have a single core processor so the ps2 emulator probably runs insanely slow.

Matix

Okay, this does sound pretty slick. For me personally, it would be pretty damn awesome to analyze/reference professional low-poly game models, for my own 3D projects. Probably will be checking this out soon.

"next-gen" Mugen would be nice indeed. I also wouldn't mind a next-gen RPG Maker, as long as it's as user friendly as RPG Maker 2000/2k3/XP. A tool like this sure would make it possible--at the very least it'd help out a TON.

Zapages said:
It would to a degree, before it becomes so popular like Mugen where some characters become so powerful that they make the originals seem last tier... This is coming from someone who created stages and made a complete replica of SFA 3 in Mugen before CPS 2 was completely emulated nor there was PS1/PSX emulator out there.
Not to downplay your effort, but I think bleem! slightly predates M.U.G.E.N, though they were both released mid-1999.

dock

Interesting!

I'm surprised that they can get Gamecube stuff working (and other consoles) just as easily too.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Damn... reading through that thread. I don't know how I think about having my worked ripped out and played around with. Not too big of a deal though...

but I am sure some companies are going to get a bit miffed.

Example for people not checking the thread linked by the OP.

untitled.JPG

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
A few more images

SSBM Bowser smoothed out... SSBM on Xbox 360? :p
bowserupdateas6.png

Starfox Assault Arwing
Arwing_Render.jpg

An OOT remake on Wii would look a little like this...
chibilinknk9.png

Twilight Pricess
linkra1.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh, wow. So this rips the geometry directly out of the rendering pipeline? What a great idea. Strange how it hasn't been done before... although I assume it's a fairly difficult thing to translate into a usable file.

It grabs the textures as well? I guess once you have direct access to the 3D card's memory space, it wouldn't be a problem to grab them as well.

Overall, a really cool application.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Eteric Rice said:
Does this allow you to mess with the textures, etc?

If it actually grabs the textures out of memory space and writes them to a file, you can do whatever you want to them. From the screenshots, it seems like that's exactly what it's doing. I wonder how it translates the UV mapping correctly.

The more I think about it, the more of a pain in the ass it seems to be able to rip all of this information out of the chipset and into an even remotely workable 3DS MAX file.

Munin

Funny, it's apparently hosted/made by the Boiling Point / White Gold guys...

And no, this concept is anything but new, but I imagine the application might be one of the most advanced yet...

Would this be hard for someone who never used 3DS Max? I just want to import the models and *ahem* look at them from various angles.

M3d10n

Dr_Cogent said:
Doesn't something like this violate the license agreement for the software?

you bet it does! All those GC rips are done with emulators anyway. But it's all in the name of science! Now onto analyzing those UVW maps...

M3d10n said:
Will take a while until someone reaches that part of the game on the PS2 emus... sloooooow.

There's a PC version of MGS2 Substance, and I have a save file right there in fact.

Can't wait to get home!

PolyGone

Banned
smooth out the normals, not the geometry, fool!

smoothing the geometry only increases your polycounts, thereby destroying any educational value to be gained from the model. If you're finding that the model appears rigid or has harsh creases, smooth the angle of the face normals to something like 180 degrees, that will remove any harsh creases...

Zenith

Banned
Naked Snake said:
There's a PC version of MGS2 Substance, and I have a save file right there in fact.

Can't wait to get home!

it doesn't work with MGS2. at least it didn't a few months ago. don't know if the version's been updated since then.

Top Bottom