• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Eric C

BOX ART CONFIRMED!
BLYMOtzCIAAI0kP.jpg:large
perfect ^

You know, I don't think I was expecting Sonic Lost Worlds to be a Sonic Xtreme & Galaxy mashup.

But from what I've seen in the trailer, so far I like it.

zainetor

Banned
so from now on, no more shadow in a a sonic game? Good job haters.
I would like another game like sonic adventure 2, with sonic and shadow levels only.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I hope it's down to the poor trailer quality but the visuals look hugely disappointing to my eyes, it doesn't look as good as Sonic Generations:

sonic-generations-green-hill-zone-2.jpg

As an exclusive I hoped we'd see something a jump above current Wii U titles :-(

I said this above, but if my theory is correct, this game is made by the Colors/Secret Rings team, which are much more style over graphic impressiveness. I am placing my bets that the third Sonic Wii-U game will be made by the Generations/Unleashed team, though.

Meelow

Banned
I hope it's down to the poor trailer quality but the visuals look hugely disappointing to my eyes, it doesn't look as good as Sonic Generations:

As an exclusive I hoped we'd see something a jump above current Wii U titles :-(

There's a difference between Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World, they both have different art style's.

Generations has more of a realstic art style and Lost World has a more cartoony/cellshaded style.

And it being the video quality also wouldn't surprise me, remember when Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Olympic Games looked really bad in the Direct but when we saw screenshots it looked WAY better.

NotLiquid

I'm actually really liking the character designs. They are:

1. Not a recolor
2. Not a ultimate god species
3. Not Final Fantasy
4. Have a lot of personality
5. Not another bot for the billionth time

High five, bro. They look pretty awesome honestly, and they also seem to fit the new writers' style as well when it comes to blending into the cartoon-y Sonic verse. I really hope they get some dialogue and exposition, they seem like they could be fun characters, and the presence of Eggman robots leads me to believe they're most probably not evil or the real big bad of the story. They probably just got Knux'd by Eggman.

qq more

It's an art style decision. It's meant to look simplistic and it fits the Sonic world better, IMHO. This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with how Generations looks. It looks fantastic too.

I think the big reason why Sonic Generations has a mix of both cartoony and realistic because the game is suppose to represent both sides of the franchise. The Modern games typically looked "realistic" while the Classic games looked cartoony. So mixing them up created a balance for the art direction of the game.

I said this above, but if my theory is correct, this game is made by the Colors/Secret Rings team, which are much more style over graphic impressiveness. I am placing my bets that the third Sonic Wii-U game will be made by the Generations/Unleashed team, though.

Both Secret Rings and Colours looked pretty amazing for Wii games though (Well, the former as a launch title at least). This might just be the most underwhelming 3D Sonic graphically in quite some time. Probably since Sonic 06? Pretty disappointing considering Sonic Team got so much out of each console lately and the Wii U still lacks a graphical showcase title.

I'm hoping the final game Nintendo has aquired with Sonic isn't some Kart spinoff or something, but a proper game building up on Generations/Colours...

qq more

Explain please.

You don't see me being upset about E-102 not making it in some Sonic games

or Metal Sonic

or Knuckles

Shadow isn't exactly necessary for this title. I mean I won't be against the idea of including him as an unlockable character, but come on. I don't see the big deal about it.

Gameplay looks good, but am I the only one who thinks these new bosses look godawful? They're a visual fit with the Sonic style on the same level that Chip was, which is to say not at all.

It's an art style decision. It's meant to look simplistic and it fits the Sonic world better, IMHO. This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with how Generations looks. It looks fantastic too.

I think the big reason why Sonic Generations has a mix of both cartoony and realistic because the game is suppose to represent both sides of the franchise. The Modern games typically looked "realistic" while the Classic games looked cartoony. So mixing them up created a balance for the art direction of the game.

It's not only the artistical decision (which I think rather resembles Monkey Ball, than an actual sonic game) but Sonics model also looks worse, it really seems like it's based on the Sonic from Colours and hence I'd guess LW probably started as a Wii game, instead of Wii U and could still look much better for what it is. This is like an HD port of Mario Galaxy, but without the artistical finesse of a Galaxy of course.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Huh, 3DS version looks like the same game.

No dimps, perhaps, possibly, please?

It's the first 3D Sonic title on a handheld! We must rejoice (Rm88 will cry, though).
Wii U screens look...incredible. But 3DS screens look surprisingly great too!

LDAF

Stupid question/speculation: though the art style suits the game well enough, does anyone out there think (after seeing those screens) that the 3DS game is a port of the U one, and that's why the U version doesn't push the hardware too much?

zainetor

Banned
You don't see me being upset about E-102 not making it in some Sonic games

or Metal Sonic

or Knuckles

Shadow isn't exactly necessary for this title. I mean I won't be against the idea of including him as an unlockable character, but come on. I don't see the big deal about it.

it's not only shadow, but every other character in the franchise.
With this, we have 3 games, where you only control sonic. Ok fine, but what about knuckles or tails?

Davey Cakes

"Sonic Galaxy" to a T.

Looks great though, possibly even more up my alley than Sonic Colors (which I couldn't even finish).

Gotta say, the style of the game is really doing it for me, more than the last couple of Sonic games. It's got a nice cartoony and "game-y" charm. We'll see what subsequent stages look like, though.

plank

On Wii U, the GamePad is specifically used to activate various Whisp-based “Color Powers,” which feature touch-based controls and are mostly used to gain access to side paths and areas.

whelp I guess few people from this thread aren't going to like this part very much.

Lijik

I think the reason why Sonic Lost World doesnt look as good is because of the lighting. It doesnt look as good in the trailer as it does in the just released screenshots or compared to generations.

EDIT- Beaten

Top Bottom