• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

Mitama

This forum is not the place to promote or to direct people to purchasing "backup managers" devices. The thread will be left open because this is still an interesting development in terms of hacking progress and considered news. Don't link to the site or to videos with such links.

---
Gateway 3DS is the world's first 3DS flash card!
The GATEWAY 3DS TEAM proudly presents the first ever video proof that many thought impossible. Below we show an unedited video of the device booting 3 different backed up 3DS ROMS consecutively which are loaded on the GATEWAY 3DS device via microSD cards. We hope you are as excited as we are!

*links removed*

From the video you'd think you'd only be able to load a single game at a time, however, someone close to the team mentioned this: "And for those asking, it is 'early video' before the 'game manager' was finished in coding by the homebrew developers, reason for 3 microsd one for each rom."

This would be awesome for people like me who don't like digital (because of Nintendo's games bound to system policy) but still want to carry all their games with them on a single cartridge!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This would be awesome for people like me who don't like digital (because of Nintendo's games bound to system policy) but still want to carry all their games with them on a single cartridge!

Yes, that would be great for that particular scenario, wouldn't it

Eusis

If only everyone thought that way rather than "sweet, free games!" because I really do not want the 3DS's rise fucked up by ease of piracy as the case seemed to be for DS and PSP.

The white 3DS XL is so sexy.... stupid NA colors.

But I buy my 3DS games digitally anyway. Don't have any use for this.

Vitacat

I don't know a lot about 3DS, but can Nintendo simply issue a mandatory firmware update that renders this thing useless? Or at the very least, unable to play newer games that require newer firmware?

But I buy my 3DS games digitally anyway. Don't have any use for this.

If you ever lost your 3DS you might have a use for this, since your digital games are tied to that device alone, if I understand Nintendo's absurd DRM correctly. Unless you don't mind rebuying all your games again.

megaton if region free.

But it will be a piracy device for sure.

I don't know a lot about 3DS, but can Nintendo simply issue a mandatory firmware update that renders this thing useless? Or at the very least, unable to play newer games that require newer firmware?

Yeah just like with the Wii right? ;)

FluxWaveZ

I don't like this. Flashcarts obliterated sales of high quality but niche DS games such as the Ace Attorney series or The World Ends With You.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This makes me a bit angry. Why would you support this OP? IMO this is potentially worse than nintendo's idiotic account system implementation.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If Whitney Houston was still with us today, she would have one thing to say to the OP

She will always love him?

tumblr_lgc0ciuDQe1qc3gcu.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Now for people to pretend this is a good thing because of the homebrew stuff.

Though... if it means no more region lock, that would be neato.

This makes me a bit angry. Why would you support this OP? IMO this is potentially worse than nintendo's idiotic account system implementation.

If they can get the region lock off that would be a plus. I don't want to buy a new 3DS to play some region exclusive games. At least with the DS I could do that.

Yeah still salty about that.

Effect

megaton if region free.

But it will be a piracy device for sure.

Yeah just like with the Wii right? ;)

They can though. They push out updates all the time if you are system is connected to the internet and they install in the background. They can always add them to software as well like on the Wii. I don't think you can enter the eShop without updating either I believe. That includes connecting online in games.

I hope Nintendo kills this swiftly. I'm all for bricking of systems as well. I don't want there anything out there that negatively affects my investment in the 3DS. Piracy does that. Period. I don't give a damn about any minor positive that could take place.

Letep

If this takes off, I'm afraid Renegade Kid, among other indie developers, will turn away from 3DS development.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
yeah....... that would be great saying this is a tool for homebrew.... except that we haven't seen a single shred of homebrew efforts...

usually when something is truly for hombrew, you see the homebrew scene (very) slowly grow and then the easy way to get code onto the system arrive. usually that way COMES from homebrew.

this case... yeah, this isn't going to promote homebrew. not in the slightest. :(

I like how people are complaining about carrying around multiple 3DS cards... I mean you can fit the entire worthwhile 3DS library in a ziploc sandwich bag (and I'm actually not being critical of the quantity)

flippedb

Banned
Nintendo will try to block this right away, hope they can do it. Fuck pirates and people who "want to play backups", that's bs.

Eric C

Does this in any way break region locks?

That's pretty much the only reason I'd care about something like this.

Alienous

What are people's opinions on something like this being used to aid 3DS game development (running Homebrew game software, for instance)?

Top Bottom