• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane1345

Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

nib95

Banned
I've never ever joined one of these Avatar fads or scheme's in all my GAF posting, but for me, this one is so important that I'm joining in. No used games and the potential DRM changes are huge deals to me, enough for me to not buy these consoles altogether. Seriously, Sony, Microsoft, pay attention. We are your market and the consumers who make or break your products, do not respond to years of customer loyalty and dedication with despicable anti-consumer measures.

Zarrastro

Publishers...
It's sad only to think about how their greed may destroy the gaming community.

I want to become a game developer, and i'm starting my studies next term. And i know that, if you want your game to be played and enjoyed by many people, you can't punish gamers like this, even at some cost for the developers.
I don't intent to become rich creating games. I only want to earn money with a job i really love. And i joined this cause not only as a gamer, but as a future developer who sees a grim future if thinks keep going this way.

Also, I understand that the sudden boost of fame has attracted a lot of newcomers to NeoGAF, like me, but please know i'm here because i want to help and i'm glad to join an enormous gaming community like this one. And i'm sure i'm not the only one. Please give us a chance.

could someone add xbox drm to my avatar please

kb3l8mdvtlul1.png

Carl

So i assume this has been suggested already, i don't know... anyway

I see some activist group is currently using Twitter to have a "tweet storm" about badger culling, and they got the word out by tweeting an imagine about 12 hours before the start. Obviously it spread through retweets and stuff.

So it might be a good way to get the word out about what we're doing and when. If that makes sense... >.<

MogCakes

Can someone #PS4NODRM banner my avatar? (I already consider Xbox One to be a lost cause.)

Thanks in advance!

timthumb2.png

I've never ever joined one of these Avatar fads or scheme's in all my GAF posting, but for me, this one is so important that I'm joining in. No used games and the potential DRM changes are huge deals to me, enough for me to not buy these consoles altogether. Seriously, Sony, Microsoft, pay attention. We are your market and the consumers who make or break your products, do not respond to years of customer loyalty and dedication with despicable anti-consumer measures.

Glad to have you on board!

I think we should use the hashtag #XboxOneNotAlwaysOn for the xbone for the following reasoning:

1. There are 3 reason why the xbone must be always on: (a) used game DRM sells far more games, (b) used game DRM strengthens the relationship with EA et al. (c) Microsoft relies on data mining.

2. (a) is widely disputed, (b) is unnecessary hence Sony not having used game DRM, (c) is left.

3. Data mining requires an internet connection (to transmit data) and a kinect to gather data on your height, sex, voice and appearance. Both an internet connection and the kinect are obligatory and, while an internet connection may be said to be obligatory for DRM, Microsoft hasn't given a reason for the obligation to have your kinect connected.

(Extra point: Microsoft may want to be the All-in-One for your entertainment, and move away from gamers-income, for the same reason Google wants to provide you with all the online apps you will ever need.)

IF this is so, then Microsoft could announce that used game DRM is scrapped, ride the wave of good PR we brought them and still innocently demand always-on without having sacrificed much. That's a spin, because always-on is a step backwards from the 360 and I don't want to help them with that. Therefore I propose we use a hashtag like #XboxOneNotAlwaysOn for the Xbone.

Gold Member
We shouldn't allow them to interpret it as "No used-game DRM." (They could still implement always-on under the guise of normal DRM.) If they do they've used us. We can avoid that.
I agree with Baller, the #ps4nodrm tag has been pretty successful and I think it implies we won't stand for any of the DRM bullshit, which also includes always on.

Baller - just tweeted that take two link, loving the "I'll worry about my own taxes message" lol. Had to tweak it a bit as I'll probably get a ban again, but great nonetheless.

On the take two vid, if anyone should get a cut it probably should be the pub/dev and not the platform holder. That said I don't think any of them should get a cut for a second sale, it's just greedy. The industry may well need fixing, but I don't think fleecing consumers is going to help in fixing anything.

Well my video got into the NeoGAF GT promo, I tried to raise a bit more awareness for this cause, so hopefully it'll help :)

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/x7ynpc/shift-neogaf-speaks

At around 1:02? Thank you, we appreciate it!

Has anyone tried contacting the Electronic Frontier Foundation? They're an international digital rights group, and could help us.

https://www.eff.org/
We should definitely write them. Won't hurt if we try.

jimforspeed

Neo Member
Hello everyone, just got validated (ultra fast btw).

I was following the discussion in the other thread when the idea for the twitter campaign started, and, to be honest I was really thinking "nice but too ambitious"...but whoa, you guys are really amazing.

Made a twitter account for that and sent 4-5 tweets. Been reading the discussion ever since, and I also spread the word in the biggest Greek forum together with a couple more guys (not a first-page article yet though).

Good job, seriously.

Kane1345

Hello everyone, just got validated (ultra fast btw).

I was following the discussion in the other thread when the idea for the twitter campaign started, and, to be honest I was really thinking "nice but too ambitious"...but whoa, you guys are really amazing.

Made a twitter account for that and sent 4-5 tweets. Been reading the discussion ever since, and I also spread the word in the biggest Greek forum together with a couple more guys (not a first-page article yet though).

Good job, seriously.

Welcome, hope you enjoy it here!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well, no DRM from Sony anyway. But other publishers are free to implement it on the PS4 platform if this update is to be believed. Sadly this is what a lot of us suspected would be the case.

Just like I'm free to ignore games with GFWL on PC.

spwolf

Well, no DRM from Sony anyway. But other publishers are free to implement it on the PS4 platform if this update is to be believed. Sadly this is what a lot of us suspected would be the case.

there is a huge difference... just like with PS3, publishers have options but 99% did not implement restrictive ones.

Microsoft is building completely managed system for games on XO, and it is Microsoft that will mandate this solution.... so there is no work on publisher side, and they dont have to actually implement anything.

On PS3, each individual publisher would have to invent and implement such solution and it would be almost impossible to do in the same way simply because they cant control in the same way that Microsoft or Sony can/could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom