• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

Amir0x

Banned
iJgqRWP.png

Our man Tiemen, a fresh GAFer who has already been extremely useful since he has joined only a few months ago, has noticed this at the end of the official DualShock 4 video for PS4.

Playstation®4 camera may be required and is sold seperately.

If it's "sold separately", it can't possibly be a pack-in now, can it?

I did not know this, and up until now I think we were operating off that one report that said it WOULD come packed in, so this is GREAT news! And good news for a LOWER PS4 PRICE!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Another prediction by me: MS didn't show off cool enough camera-based things in their unveil that Sony needs to scramble to copy that it makes sense to bundle the PS4Eye.

I have a very bad track record with predictions.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Cool, I wouldn't mind if it was packed in but I'd like to pay less if possible.

Sold Separately is kinda weird with the controller's functionality and all...
The only thing the DS4 requires the camera for is location tracking.

Shiloa

Personally I think it's a shame. The only exception is if they launch with a game that will really make the Eye a must have. A bit like how the WiiFit or WiiPlay worked.

By selling it separately Sony will make more money. The PSEYE cost about 50 dollars for the PS3 and I doubt it cost that much to manufacture.

Good.

I expect there will be a bundled version, but I personally don't see the need for it.

Also, with regard to any potential voice-related features, I believe the PS4 controller has a built in microphone.

I am really curious how much Kinect 2 adds to the XB1 BoM.

DieH@rd

Banned
Kinda weird choice. I totally expected it to be a part of the basic pack. Now developers cant 100% count on that camera being present in every system.

Yeah, it looks like it'll be just another "We have it too!" moment from Sony, where they'll throw in a gimmick because the competitor has it, but not do a damn thing with it.

It's both a good and a bad thing. Lets hope they use it successfully in some of their games, because they certainly don't have a good track record with their gimmicks.

Loudninja

Yeah, it looks like it'll be just another "We have it too!" moment from Sony, where they'll throw in a gimmick because the competitor has it, but not do a damn thing with it.

It's both a good and a bad thing. Lets hope they use it successfully in some of their games, because they certainly don't have a good track record with their gimmicks.
We have too?

Sony had the PS eye since the PS2 days.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you Amir0x. ;-)

Hopefully this means a cheaper PS4 for us. Though it will probably still be bundled with a 'premium' SKU.

Kyoufu

Kinect is one gimmick nobody should ever copy, ever.

edit: but as stated above, PS Eye has been around since PS2.

Mung

Eye toy and PS eye both predate Kinect by many years. I don't think they really care about it.

edit: beaten

Sethos

Banned
Kinda weird choice. I totally expected it to be a part of the basic pack. Now developers cant 100% count on that camera being present in every system.

And that's good. Don't want developers to crowbar in some shitty camera feature because they expect it to be bundled with every Playstation. When it's optional, the best they can do is some side gimmick you can easily avoid.

Cartman86

Banned
Blah. Will barely be used then. Would rather spend more money if it meant every dev had the option to support it. Unless its a garbage device though. I would hope there are advancements.

Oni Jazar

Sony is going to keep the decision whether the camera is bundled or not for as long as they possibly can. If they can wait until MS announced the price they'd love to wait. Depends on how long MS will blink.

Baleoce

I'm absolutely fine with this. Not only does it have the potential to allow them to target a lower price point, but more importantly, as a Vita user, it means that the majority of developers will approach their games without that functionality in mind, which means they would be streamable to the Vita.

Really, this is the best possible news for Vita users considering Sonys recent announcement of all non-camera-functionality based PS4 games being compatible with Vita.

Maybe they just mean it'll be sold separately from the controller? Rather than being sold separately from the console itself...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Now that I think about it, they may have decided to drop the Eye from being bundled after all the backlash about required Kinect in XBO and want to make it as clear as possible that it's not mandatory or the primary focus for the system.

Headtracking is a gimmick I can live without anyways. Slightly turning my head away from the screen to change the view seems like a pain in the ass. It would work perfectly for Oculus Rift though.

Hopefully it stays that way. It will be cheaper and I never would have used the damn thing anyway.

Mandatory Kinect is one of the main reasons I have no interest in getting the Xbone.

Top Bottom