• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new generation : time to change purchasing habits and obliterate nagging backlogs?

I just want to state off the bat that I know this may very well be the epitome of a “first world problem”. Like many folks around here, I have an extensive backlog from this current generation that, try as I might, will remain largely unfinished. I’ve resigned myself to this reality and have decided to at least attempt to finish at least some over the next few months – starting with the my “must-play” games. This carries the added benefit of making the wait for new consoles much, much easier and enjoyable.

Now, my backlog built up the usual way, with impulse purchasing, (sometimes during sales – sometimes not) and a lack of will power that seems reserved only for this form of entertainment. Gaming is my main weakness for sure. I do, of course, realize that many people are not bothered by their shelves and drawers full of pristine, barely cracked boxes. Many are collectors with little intention of actually playing some of the games that they buy. That’s cool and I get the allure of collecting – I have various versions of my favourite series (MGS) sitting on display. Still, I can’t help but be nagged by the feeling that I own a fair share of good, even great games that I may never have a chance to try let alone complete.

I started thinking recently now that we are on the verge of a new generation of systems, maybe there's an opportunity to finally practice some new purchasing habits and start fresh. I plan on sticking to the routine of only purchasing new titles only after finishing old ones. Thankfully, new systems bring with them a relatively small number of “must have” titles in the first year or so. This should make my task a bit easier for at least a while. In the end, I'd like the satisfaction of actually having played the majority of game purchases. We'll see how that goes!

Anyone out there have a similar plan? Or, if you aren't bothered by your backlog...care to share your outlook?

cormack12

Gold Member
I have a large backlog and PSN+ is doing nothing to curb that. Back when I had my first console (Atari 2600) I was dependent on my folks to pick me some games up which often meant waiting for birthdays or christmas or good exams results. So, just birthdays and christmas then. So you were sort of stuck with the same new game for quite a long time and you explored and played the ass off it.

Maybe that generation just grew up and can afford it's own games now when they feel like, because they prioritise it over drinking and clubbing? Also, the prices. I remember some launch titles back then being North of £50 at release. Now, you can pick up launch titles for no more than £40 and within a month they are down to £30 usually (with the exception of strong MP games like Fifa, CoD). After that they are in the used games in some sort of 2 for £20 deal.

I must admit I do miss the feeling of being 'finished' with a game though. More often than not, I clock it, see if I can be bothered with the trophies and if they are fun and if not, it goes in the 'completed' pile or gets donated to my brother. Point in case Skyrim finished today finally and it goes to my brothers for replay value. They aren't really RPGers but I'm trying to turn them.

There is such a massive library of software now that I feel like I can't afford to stay still or dwell on a game too long, which is wrong but that's my mental problem to get over. I'd rather see fewer high level titles that are good from start to finish rather than Ok to meh with 5/6 outstanding set pieces.

I can't see it improving with next gen either. Maybe at launch for a year or so......think the backlog will always be there for me.

I can't see it improving with next gen either. Maybe at launch for a year or so......think the backlog will always be there for me.

Yeah - that's my worry as well. I know that I was quite picky when the 360 and PS3 launched but it didn't take long before the flood of new releseses stopped that. I'm just hoping to be a bit more conscious of it all this time around.

NekoFever

I went through a spell earlier this year of building up a great library of PS1 and 2 games, with the logic being that we're in a transitional year and so the summer drought is going to be particularly bad. But most of what I bought was 50+ hour JRPGs that would take me years to get through, thus only making the backlog worse.

Oh well. They look nice on the shelf and Grandia is awesome.

^ I know what you mean. I recently started picking up Gamecube games that I missed out on. That Gamecube appreciation thread isn't helping any either. :p

Terra

I have built up a backlog with consoles and games on purpose. I think it is a product of my woes of the coming generation. I want to be able to enjoy my games the way they were made to be enjoyed.

I have big fears surrounding the coming generation, but maybe it is just that I have been reading too much. Maybe it will be a fine and successful generational switch altogether, or it might be the crash that everyone have been talking about. I have absolutely no idea what will happen. But for starters, I will just wait for a year and see. And that is also what my wallet says.

Izayoi

Banned
I've got dozens of games I haven't even opened...

I should probably get around to playing at least a few of them.

At least, the deluge of titles seems to have slowed a little bit with this coming generation. It's still a daunting task and I'm not sure I'm up for it, but...

I have big fears surrounding the coming generation, but maybe it is just that I have been reading too much. Maybe it will be a fine and successful generational switch altogether, or it might be the crash that everyone have been talking about. I have absolutely no idea what will happen. But for starters, I will just wait for a year and see. And that is also what my wallet says.

I wish I could say the same. Sadly though, even if I didn't plan on pre-ordering the new consoles (which I do) I'd still have a very tough time not running out and getting at least one on release day.

What is with backlog guilt? Do what I do, if a sequel or another game from the same developer is coming, then sequel chase that shit!

It's good to have a backlog!

At least that's what I think. People would often say "oh no, I have a huge backlog and now I bought game X, what I'm gonna do!", but I can't relate to that way of thinking. Having games in your backlog simply means that you always have something to play, and if you have a lot of games in it, it means you'll have a lot to choose from, too! Of course I enjoy beating games (I've beaten 24 since the start of the year) and having a backlog doesn't hinder that in any way. I also don't feel the need to finish a game I happened not to like just because I bought it — I'll just sell it or let it rest in my collection till the brighter days.

So it is my opinion that people who continue to feel bad about their backlogs are clearly doing something wrong. Just relax and have fun! That's what the games are about after all.

casmith07

I love this topic!

I also struggle with completing my backlog. I have traced the source of my problems to two major areas and I've decided on how I'm going to correct them.

Problem 1 - Sports games. Every year since 2003, I've purchased NCAA Football. It eats up time that I would otherwise spend on good games with more engrossing experiences. Solution: this will be the first year that I will forego buying sports games. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'm going to go trade in all my sports games at GameStop today, and likely preorder Animal Crossing. I've decided when I want a sports fix I'll either watch them or play them from now on.

Problem 2 - impulse buys. Same as you, OP, I don't go out drinking anymore and as a result I have a lot more disposable income. So I buy games. And it builds my backlog. Solution here is that I've decided that getting a game right when it comes out is counterproductive for my wallet and my backlog. Unless I'm going to beat the game right then and there, I'll get it later. Especially because I don't play online unless its cooperative, so it's not like I'm lagging behind leveling up with my console counterparts.

Thanks for posting this. Good post!

Grief.exe

I love this topic!

I also struggle with completing my backlog. I have traced the source of my problems to two major areas and I've decided on how I'm going to correct them.

Problem 1 - Sports games. Every year since 2003, I've purchased NCAA Football. It eats up time that I would otherwise spend on good games with more engrossing experiences. Solution: this will be the first year that I will forego buying sports games. In fact, I'm fairly certain I'm going to go trade in all my sports games at GameStop today, and likely preorder Animal Crossing. I've decided when I want a sports fix I'll either watch them or play them from now on.

Problem 2 - impulse buys. Same as you, OP, I don't go out drinking anymore and as a result I have a lot more disposable income. So I buy games. And it builds my backlog. Solution here is that I've decided that getting a game right when it comes out is counterproductive for my wallet and my backlog. Unless I'm going to beat the game right then and there, I'll get it later. Especially because I don't play online unless its cooperative, so it's not like I'm lagging behind leveling up with my console counterparts.

Thanks for posting this. Good post!

Everyone has Problem 1, but you can put in just about any multiplayer game.

Especially MOBA (DOTA/LOL), Day Z, CS, TF2, Starcraft, Battlefield, etc

There is always one.

Swarley

My backlog used to stress me out. The thought of HAVING to get through everything before the next gen comes out in the fall. But over the past month or so, I've just stop caring. If I get through it, I get through it. If I don't, that's not a big deal either. I plan on keeping both my 360 and PS3 anyways, so it's not like I'll have games that can never be played. I finally told myself just b/c I get a new system doesn't mean I can't go back and play some older games. I'll get to them eventually, whether it's before or after next-gen launch.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Assuming I sell my current gen consoles once I pick up one of the new ones, that will probably obliterate my existing backlog as well as any unplayed xbla games :\

That's fine and all, but what happens more often than not is that these games go largely unplayed in favour of the newer titles being released.

Speak for yourself. I usually have a backlog game and a new game going at the same time!

Never tried marathoning a game just before the sequel is released?

Tain

Yeah, down with backlog guilt. I love having choices, I hate forcing myself to play a game that I don't enjoy. I don't really care about the money spent.

That's fine and all, but what happens more often than not is that these games go largely unplayed in favour of the newer titles being released.

How many newer games do you buy?

I find myself getting all the games I want to play around day one and am able to play through them all (assuming they wind up being worth playing, which most of my choices are) while still having plenty of time for beating older games. I don't enjoy going for 100% in everything, though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
if XBone/PS4 both use some kind of online DRM, I'll be coasting on my fairly ridiculous backlog until they sort that shit out. (and if they don't, oh well, fuck em)

And playing PC/3DS/Vita

I'll buy the games I want to play at the prices I want to pay.

If I don't get chance to play them for a while or even ever I don't see any problem with that.

Philia

OP... my backloggery had helped me a ton in clearing away my old gen backlogs. In 4 years time, I cleared away xbox, gcn, gba, dreamcast, saturn, and ps1. You can do it if you're really dedicated. Its really a question of how much that game's game play experience is going to give you.

I actually completed my backlog a month or two ago and it feels great. Of course, it was nowhere near the amount most of you guys have, it still feels good. I still have many games I have to buy but ill be picking those up during next gen in between next gen games I plan on picking up.

Izayoi

Banned
Everyone has Problem 1, but you can put in just about any multiplayer game.

Especially MOBA (DOTA/LOL), Day Z, CS, TF2, Starcraft, Battlefield, etc

There is always one.
It's the absolute worst. I have no idea why this is a thing. Maybe there's some kind of psychological explanation? It kills my time and makes it really hard to actually tackle my backlog. ;_;

bounchfx

I used to buy all the games I was interested in that had good reviews or really appealed to me.

Except I don't have anywhere near enough time to play them and there's a backlog of over 80-100 games waiting for me that I KNOW I will never play now. Why? Because there's always freaking new ones coming out that are also good!

so what I've done was trim it down to only the necessities. AAAA+ games that offer something new. Almost every game out nowadays is something I've tried before and I can pretty much predict exactly how it will play.. and that's just boring to me ;(

as mentioned previously in the thread though, MOBA's are fairly new to me and pretty much the only thing I play now is Dota 2.. one game every other night only takes 45 minutes and is super fulfilling.

I still want to play all the new blockbusters but damn if it isn't more work to play games than ever before. :(

Tex117

Banned
I have a few on backlog, I'd like to play, but only one that I own that I need to finish up.

Resonance of Fate, I just can't seem to get it moving in the right direction.

Also, I guess I have to add Ni No Kuni to the list. Not the same problem with Resonance of Fate, just have ran out of time. I travel alot now.

Minions

Buy games cheap for the backlog. They will cost more over time if you purchase all your games around $10~

Gives you the ability to fill in all the huge gaps (in Wii-u) or PS4. Also gives you the ability to not buy the PS4 at launch (should you not want to) which allows you to see if the PS4 or Nextbox red rings or YLOD like last gen.

Nothing wrong with a backlog when you are picking up games you have interest in at a low price. I probably have 15-20 PS3 games (possibly more) on backlog at the moment. Some of them are free with PS+ so I don't really mind. I don't spend more than $10-15 (most new) on the games so the value is not going down even if I resell them in two years.

Recently Purchased: PS3
Dishonored $13
Max Payne 3 $12
Resident Evil 6 $11

Waiting to add to backlog: PS3
Metal Gear Rising $15
Devil May Cry $10-12
Tomb Raider $10-15
Doom BFG $10
Castlvania Lords of Shadow $10
Ni no Kuni $15
Metro: Last Light $12.50

How many newer games do you buy?

It depends. Lately I've been feeling fatigued and have been holding off on new /day one purchases. That's part of the reason that I've been digging back into the backlog to begin with.

It helps that there hasn't been a lot out lately that I just have to own day one.

StuBurns

Banned
If Sony goes the MS route, I won't be buying games day one anymore unless they're really the most wanted games. I don't mind going day one with everything at the moment, but if I'm forced to keep them forever, I'm going to be very careful with purchases. Replay value will even factor in, which I never consider now. Something like Shadows of the Damned, despite me loving, I probably wouldn't even buy.

Strike

I'm still purchasing titles while I'm working on my backlog. I'm also planning to pick up a Vita later in the year, so I won't be ready for PS4 until sometime next year. You save a lot of money waiting instead of preordering or purchasing day 1.

Nazeem38

Banned
Really the only reason I have a backlog at this point is because I have yet to buy a new HDD for my PS3. There's a bunch if games I'd like to play on that console, but a lot of them require an install.

Been itching to play Yakuza 3.

oneils

Over the last three years, I bought a lot of games that I never touched. Most were through Steam sales. The rest were HD versions of PS 2 games that I never played.

And...I ended up spending most of my play time on old favourites like Civ IV (then Civ V), Mount and Blade, the various GTAs, F2P mmos, and various Counter Strikes. Other than that I spent most of my time with the Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Elderscrolls franchises.

Games piled up. Right now my goal is to finish 50 games before I buy a new one. I've finished 9 so far and should be finished number 10 sometime this week. Feels good man.

edit
some people use backloggery, and so do I. I find that it helps motivate me. I also refer to howlongtobeat.com to get a sense of what games will be quick plays. That has really helped me get through some games. I usually get overwhelmed if I think a game will take dozens of hours to complete.

http://www.backloggery.com/sithren

Top Bottom