• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Kojima Interview on Metal Gear Solid V (User-generated missions, MGO confirmed)

duckroll

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/414360/interviews/e3-interview-kojima-on-mgs-5/

To clarify, will Ground Zeroes be part of The Phantom Pain or released separately?

So you can think of it that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the big game and within that the first prologue to it is Ground Zeroes.

As you saw in the trailer, The Phantom Pain provides a vast world where the player can really go anywhere and get lost. But for past Metal Gear fans used to a linear experience it would probably be hard for them to get used to that without having a prologue and a way to get used to it. So Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes is an interpretation to really give them a very short, smaller version of that scale.

In The Phantom Pain there are real-life day and night cycles but in Ground Zeroes the weather doesn't change and it's at night time. This is to help the past Metal Gear fans to get used to the fact that it's now open-world.

But will it be released separately?

We can't talk about how we're going to release it because we still haven't decided yet.

Kojima-san, you are famous for breaking the fourth wall in your games. How might you use to features of the next-gen consoles to do this in MGSV?

Specifically for the next-gen and Metal Gear Solid V, it's not necessarily about breaking the fourth wall, but we do have a big surprise for the players in this game. We have challenged and pushed ourselves with something that movies can't do but only games can do. It hasn't been done before.

Is open-world something you always wanted to do? Were you limited by the console hardware?

It's not necessarily about the hardware - GTA was able to do it on PS2. The first reason why I wanted to go open-world is because I wanted to create a world that had a lot of freedom and allowed users to create their own gameplay.

We're developing alongside the Fox Engine and we wanted to make sure that we were doing the most difficult and challenging thing, which is open-world. We want to create a standard for our team and then later on once we finish developing MGSV on Fox Engine we can use it for other games within Konami and it will get better and better graphically.

The other reason for the game going open-world is that we wanted to use multiple devices for this game. So using tablets and smart phones you can also enjoy MGSV and create user-generated missions within the world. That's another reason we had to go open-world - if it was linear we wouldn't be able to do that.

Will MGSV have an online multiplayer mode like the previous game?

Yes, we plan on creating Metal Gear Online. Multiplayer right now is being created at our LA studio as well as us. We're working closely to create a vast multiplayer for all the fans.

More at the link, including his thoughts on Kinect 2.0 for the Xbox One. :)

Dvide

Banned
Kojima-san, you are famous for breaking the fourth wall in your games. How might you use to features of the next-gen consoles to do this in MGSV?

Specifically for the next-gen and Metal Gear Solid V, it's not necessarily about breaking the fourth wall, but we do have a big surprise for the players in this game. We have challenged and pushed ourselves with something that movies can't do but only games can do. It hasn't been done before.

aozEV7m_700ba_v1.gif

MormaPope

Banned
Awesome stuff, this in particular was pretty smart of Kojima:

This time round we didn't include any explosions or destruction really because I expected that a lot of the other shooters might include a lot of collisions and damage in their trailers. It was planned to have this as more of a slow trailer - it was planned that way.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MGS5 is sounding really ambitious. Good on Kojima. I really look forward to making some missions.

Awesome stuff, this in particular was pretty smart of Kojima:

Yeah, he tweeted something very similar before E3. He was pretty adamant about not having a big shooty shoot trailer. Makes sense. Not only does the game stand apart from other trailers, but it would be a little hard to watch shooty shoot for 6 minutes when most action-packed trailers are not nearly that long.

Yawnier

Banned
YES! We are getting MGO 3. So happy.

But Konami, please don't go with the Konami ID process again. That pissed off a lot of people.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
HOLY FUCKING SHIIIIIIIIIT!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!!!!!!!

:S;c öobwaier092vß309cqßo
ßè p
´?§TIW?)§ CR:pOQWB´T§W´VPTGKBHG$OI´?TO"§$V)$UT*< Q'Ü XD=?WEM(R ´1!!!!!!!!!!

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Honestly I just hope it's on the level of the Snake / Raiden switcharoo in MGS2. That moment of realizing that you were going to be playing as Raiden was a total mindfuck.

Raide

MGO Coming Back!!!!

Just don't mess it up like the last one did. Looked like a great MP game that was utterly murdered by horrible account stuff.

MormaPope

Banned
Also, for you Solid Snake fanatics:

Well he's a child... I don't know if I have someone to recommend but let me think! (laughs) At the same time I don't even know if Solid Snake will make an appearance in this game. If we said anything right now it would be a spoiler and bad for the fans, so we're going to stay away from that question.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Also, for you Solid Snake fanatics:

Of course Solid Snake will be in the game, i mean Liquid is in, so sure as hell Solid will be in it too!

I'm beyond hyped, thanks for posting this duckroll!!

rvy

Banned
But will it be released separately?

We can't talk about how we're going to release it because we still haven't decided yet.

duckroll was right. Hopefully it gets released this year.

MormaPope

Banned
Honestly I just hope it's on the level of the Snake / Raiden switcharoo in MGS2. That moment of realizing that you were going to be playing as Raiden was a total mindfuck.

Wait a sec, did everyone forget Big Boss went comatose?

Driver San Francisco spoilers

Tanner did all the stuff he did in the coma from his sub conscious taking in info from the outside world. News stories and people talking was enough for him to form scenarios and missions in his head. He even believed he had a body snatcher ability.

What if 70% of the Phantom Pain was feverish coma dreams?

SJRB

Gold Member
Will MGSV have an online multiplayer mode like the previous game?

Yes, we plan on creating Metal Gear Online. Multiplayer right now is being created at our LA studio as well as us. We're working closely to create a vast multiplayer for all the fans.

ytePypF.gif

A new MGO. Oh my god.

1. Get some fucking decent servers for fucks sake.

2. Drop any goddamn extra konami account requirements.

3. Keep dat headshot damage fuck the haters.

4. Don't region lock the servers. At least allow switching. I fucking hate not being able to play with my brother. You are supposed to take advantage of the online aspect not limit it.

But yes please GIVE IT ME

Danny 117

The only thing I can think that he might do is make you shoot and kill child soldiers. That would be pretty unsettling I think.

So excited for this game.

Top Bottom