• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Skype on Vita, is Skype making its way to PS4 as well?

Elginer

Seeing as the PS4 Eye can be used for streaming to Ustream and other things like voice messages, does anything think that Skype may come to PS4 as well in app form? The Vita has a pretty nice Skype app and it would be damn useful to use to talk to family and friends with a really nice camera.

Septimius

MS: You'll have to pay one GILLION dollars

200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Probably. Part of the buyout terms from the Skype management was that they would be able to put Skype on any platform they want, including direct competitors to Microsoft.

pantsmith

Its in Skypes best interest to be on as many platforms as possible, regardless of platform rivalry. Sony and Microsoft have worked together (outside of the gaming division) before. I dont know why it wouldnt be.

entremet

Yeah not so sure about that with Microsoft in charge of Skype now.

Yep. Especially the way they advertised it their reveal. They don't care about the Vita, since they don't compete with the Vita directly, similarly how they entertained a Halo DS game.

gogogow

Sony will have to make an app and pay for license and that's it. But I'm sure they will just use Facebook friends to video with people. Or Google+ friends amirite

lenovox1

Yep. Especially the way they advertised it their reveal. They don't care about the Vita, since they don't compete with the Vita directly, similarly how they entertained a Halo DS game.

They're putting Office on the iPhone. Putting Skype on the PS4 is not that big of a stretch.

Besides, a theoretical PS4 version wouldn't be the same anyway.

Tomodachi

Not impossible. No, actually I think it's likely.

Very recently Skype got an update on Vita to support calls even when the app is not in use or the system is in sleep mode. So there's still interest and support for that, Microsoft is probably leaving some breathing space to Skype's team, it would be REALLY bad for them if MS forbade them to bring their software to competitors' platforms.

sangreal

Pretty sure MS wants Skype on everything. It would be funny if it were free on PS4 and behind paywall on XB1 though

2San

Skype on PS4 will beat out the cross game chat solution of Sony. :O If it can't be run on the background, it's useless though.

The other thing to take into account is that Skype will not want to leave a potential 50m+ market open to the likes of Viber who will be on the platform. The opportunity cost of not being on PS4 to make it an exclusive Xbone feature is probably too high for MS, it leaves too big a market open for a competitor to swoop in.

Not impossible. No, actually I think it's likely.

Very recently Skype got an update on Vita to support calls even when the app is not in use or the system is in sleep mode. So there's still interest and support for that, Microsoft is probably leaving some breathing space to Skype's team, it would be REALLY bad for them if MS forbade them to bring their software to competitors' platforms.

Apparently, the Vita app is developed by Sony. So, if Sony still has permission from Skype to make versions of Skype for their platforms, I honestly don't see why not.

Gorki247

In theory, I don't see why not. For a service like Skype to be successful it has to be on any device where it makes sense. MS gets this, unlike Apple with their Facetime,

Can the PS4 multitask though? If not, it would limit the usefulness of having Skype on there somewhat as you wouldn't be able to receive calls while doing anything else. I believe this is the reason why they haven't released it on the 360 yet.

BibiMaghoo

Does anyone really want this anyway?

I'd rather not have video calls popping up when I play games, and even if I want to take them, it wouldn't be on my TV.

Many people already have a more convenient device for Skype calls, such as a mobile, tablet or PC. I can live without this on my consoles.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That's what I desire the most: another device to run Skype on.

EGM1966

Never happening.

It's not up to MS they way you seem to think. If Sony apply for Skype licence/usage then MS cannot refuse without fair and good reason. They can't simply demand silly money either when MS has been fighting Google/Motorola for the same thing.

If Sony want Skype on PS4 it will be there in the same terms Skype will appear on other devices.

2San

Does anyone really want this anyway?

I'd rather not have video calls popping up when I play games, and even if I want to take them, it wouldn't be on my TV.

Many people already have a more convenient device for Skype calls, such as a mobile, tablet or PC. I can live without this on my consoles.
Fuck video's. Why do you think people want cross game chat, this is cross platform chat. Some of my friends can play PC game while others play PS4 games, now we have a unified chat room and can decide while playing what to do next. Now I can just hop on Skype and check who's playing what even when it's on different consoles.

I think a hell of a lot of PS4 developers will be using Visual Studio and Windows, so...

Yeah, there's more than a chance. These companies aren't allowed to do stuff like that I think.

sangreal

It's not up to MS they way you seem to think. If Sony apply for Skype licence/usage then MS cannot refuse without fair and good reason. They can't simply demand silly money either when MS has been fighting Google/Motorola for the same thing.

If Sony want Skype on PS4 it will be there in the same terms Skype will appear on other devices.

MS has no obligation to license Skype under FRAND (fair reasonable and non-discriminatory) which is what their fight with Google/Motorola is over. Motorola has that obligation because they agreed to it when they submitted their technology to an open standard. Skype is not an open standard

(but I still think MS would love to have skype on PS4 -- skype is way more important to MS than a handful of xb1 sales)

Dramos

Like on iOS and Android, Sony simply needs to pay the licence. Whether Sony will have a better and more efficient Skype is another problem.

skype would be good for a name-recognition bullet point, but i would also like a google hangouts app too. a lot of my friends use it, and at very least, a lot of my friends i chat with on google chat anyway.

i'll live if there ends up being neither. cross game party chat is sufficient.

Sony should use Mumble. It's free and open-source; they could take it and make it their own. Or they could simply put it on the console as it already is.

DBT85

Outside of consoles Microsoft and Sony get on quite well, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Skype on there.

Danj

Now that MSN Messenger has been folded into Skype I'd definitely be interested in this. Also lol at the possibilities - you could have PS4 and Xbone users talking to each other over Skype.

Abandond

Yes it will be there.

Nobody buys a console over another because it has skype. Sure, it's nice but not an insane selling point.

Pretty sure the money they'd lose by not selling it to Sony outweighs any potential sales (imo 0) that Skype being on xbox one would get.

And I'm pretty sure the Skype team and the Xbox team are two completely different parts of the company.

Probably there will be na app coming... The real question is whether it will be integrated in the system or just another app. Or if it is an app, if PS4 allows apps to run concurrently with games like they do on one.

Otherwise, it will be very limited and not really worth, specially if sony implements a video chat of their own that can be used along games...

Top Bottom