• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 4.45 coming - Trophy notification toggle [Warning: Update bricking PS3s?]

MisterC20XX

I did the update before hearing about the bricking reports--so far it looks like everything is ok on my PS3 Slim 320gb (Uncharted 3 bundle model).

anddo0

I'm too afraid to update. I have Slim 1 with a WD 320gb HDD. Luckily all I want to do is play TLOU tonight.

Let me know how it goes. I'm afraid to turn mine off. I was re-running the update. The percentage went fine. It then re-booted to a black screen. I'll give it another 10mins before I attempt a hard reset.

Replicant

If you *really* have to update at least back up all of your save data to USB first. Otherwise, I'd wait until Sony fix the problem. I know I'd avoid it with a ten foot pole for now.

Pingoreous

Problem with FW 4.45? (choose one):
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (500 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

Eusis

If you *really* have to update at least back up ALL of your save data to USB first. Otherwise, I'd wait until Sony fix the problem. I know I'd avoid it with a ten foot pole for now.
If it weren't for PS1/2 saves I'd say backing up to the cloud is enough.

Anyways:

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (750 GB 7200 RPM)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1 (Late 2009)

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

CinosAges

Welp according to the Sony Forums someone with 500GB got bricked too.. So maybe anything less than 500gb works?

Also people that bricked, try to reinstall the firmware from USB.

Link: http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation...e6d82c8201d5d528095221bb7034ffa7/PS3UPDAT.PUP

So I was finally able to get back to the recovery menu, but once I chose the System Update option it just freezes. This is with the USB stick in and out and I tried it several times.

Hey, it's only a terabyte of games! We should be thanking Sony for helping us get rid of our digital backlog!

On a serious note, I am very happy that the majority of my saves are backed up on the PSN+ cloud. Although the next few days will be hell on my bandwidth, at least I haven't lost everything.

HardRojo

Luckily my copy of TLoU arrives during the weekend so I'm in no rush to turn it on right now, wanted to play some Lords of Shadow to try and finish it before TLoU arrives though :(

Ashes

Banned
We should put out more data like:

* Yes
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (please state GB)
* Factory (please state GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat with backward compatible
* Fat without backward compatible
* Slim 1
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US
* UK
* AUS
* JPN
* Other (state)?

good thinking.

So I was finally able to get back to the recovery menu, but once I chose the System Update option it just freezes. This is with the USB stick in and out and I tried it several times.

Hey, it's only a terabyte of games! We should be thanking Sony for helping us get rid of our digital backlog!

On a serious note, I am very happy that the majority of my saves are backed up on the PSN+ cloud. Although the next few days will be hell on my bandwidth, at least I haven't lost everything.

I have the same problem trying to install the new firmware via the recovery menu. (Managed to get back in after holding down the power button through one full turn on/beep/turn off cycle.)

FWIW, my info:

* YES

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (1TB Samsung Spinpoint)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1 (CECH-2001A)

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

Sophia

Slim 120 GB model updated just fine here. :S

Problem with FW 4.45?
*Nope!

HDD
* Factory 120 GB

PS3 Type
* Slim 1

PS3 Region
* US

Chakan

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Factory (250 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

anddo0

well my system is gone, don't have another hard drive to use on the system yet.

try re installing it, or wait for Sony to fix it. The worst thing you can do right now is wipe your hard drive.

edit: re-installing from the USB doesn't work. The update installs half way, restarts, and then goes to a black screen.

try re installing it, or wait for Sony to fix it. The worst thing you can do right now is wipe your hard drive.

edit: re-installing from the USB doesn't work. The update installs half way, restarts, and then goes to a black screen.

yup. I hope they release an update for the update and i can get my 1TB HD back..

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (250 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

CinosAges

Were you able to access the System Update option immediately or did it hang for a while? As soon as I pressed the option it seemed to freeze on me.

Jubern

HDD:
* Custom 500GB

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* JP

Update:
* Successful

I read this news on Twitter right after launching the update, almost strangled myself. Thankfully there was no problem.

LiK

HDD:
* Custom 500GB

PS3 type:
* Slim 1

PS3 Region:
* JP

Update:
* Successful

I read this news on Twitter right after launching the update, almost strangled myself. Thankfully there was no problem.

Actually. That's me. Woot

Alcahest

I wonder if hard drives with 4K sector technology (Advanced Format) are teh culprit.
Factory drives are all 512-byte-per-sector.

Replicant

Anyone has this setting and had successful update?

HDD (choose one):
* Custom (250 GB)

PS3 type (choose one):
* Fat without backward compatible

PS3 Region (choose one):
* Japan

Seth

Fat model with BC
Hdd upgraded to 500gb, originally 80gb
NA
No problem with update.

From what I've been reading in other places, it seems to be mostly affecting ps3s that have been upgraded to 1tb. Seems to be the most in common factor.

joeblow

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Custom 500 GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 2

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

I downloaded the firmware without knowing about this thread. I seem to be fine.

* No

HDD (choose one):
*Factory, 250GB

PS3 type (choose one):
* Slim 1

PS3 Region (choose one):
* US

anddo0

Were you able to access the System Update option immediately or did it hang for a while? As soon as I pressed the option it seemed to freeze on me.

I can access the system update just fine. I scroll though the user agreement, accept and then begin the actual install. The installation hits 47/48% the system reboots to a black screen. At least I still have access to safe mode. So, if Sony does release a fix, there is hope.

Ok this is bullshit that I have to update to watch netflix

I wouldn't chance it, even if my model is listed as safe in this thread. Nexflix isn't going anywhere. Wait.

eagle884

Neo Member
Just had a scary moment where my PS3 crashed after quitting the YouTube ap. Doing a USB backup now as I'm totally freaked out.

* No

HDD (choose one):
* Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB Solid State Hybrid Drive

PS3 Type (choose one):
* Slim 1 - CECH-3001A

PS3 Region (choose one):
* United States

pants

Fuck I have a slim ps3 with a 1TB HDD and PSN+ set to auto update. That firmware likely already downloaded :'(

Top Bottom