• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it's true or not, I love reading about this kind of stuff. I have to imagine people are just scrambling at Microsoft HQ, because I'm sure they have to get the final designs to the factories pretty damn soon, right? They've got a hard deadline, and whatever they don't get done they have to live with for the entire generation.

Minions

Hmm.... So if this was true than Microsoft has done what? I 360?

Wouldn't the architecture have to be modified to make use of 12 gigs of ram? Also they would have to change all of the specs they have announced.... likely immediately as preorders would be under false pretenses.

They could overclock.... but I believe they were already having yield issues before E3, so I don't know if I would personally cause more heat inside my console, especially if I'm rushing toward a November deadline. (There may not be enough time to thoroughly test the red ring potential).

Seeing as they are already higher priced, Microsoft would likely be taking a loss if the ram is true, and the modifications having to be made this late in the production sounds like a bad idea.

I mean, are they planning on making 3 pools? DDR3 4GB -> OS; then 8GB pool => esram =>gaming?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Supposing is true.Who says Sony hasn´t made the same?. In fact they were the first that talked publicly about GPU specs just after Hirai saying "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?".
This just tells me they talked so openly about their GPU speed because they had room to improve it, or to cheat MS as they knew they would go for a clock higher than 800MHz.

I don't believe MS has officially announced some of their specs. I believe Sony has stated final specs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Seeing the pre-order numbers I doubt that changes.

badb0y

Unlikely.

The RAM upgrade is more plausible than an overclock because when you overclock a chip it's life gets shortened, it draws more power, and it runs hot.

Basically RROD 2.0 if this is true.

khnguyen

Neo Member
I can see 12gb happening. If devkits have 12GB that means they have a motherboard that supports it, so they could ship that if they made the decision early enough.

Is the up clock something Sony couldn't also do? Weren't there rumours about a faster CPU clock on PS4?

Dev kits generally have more RAM for debugging purposes. The main concern would be that adding more RAM would add to the cost of the system which is either paid by Microsoft or you the consumer, and Microsoft doesn't like it when you take their money. Not to mention having to replace the RAM on the dev kits out already to accommodate the increase in ram.

This very situation occurred four years ago...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368189
Basically, xbox 360 dev kits have 1gb of RAM but commercial units only have 512mb.

And I don't think that it's necessary to be concerned about Sony increasing their clock speed on their CPU or GPU since we actually don't have any clue what they current clock speeds are for either company's products.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
good news if true, but some gaffers said the difference in power and available ram for games wasn't important and would not show in games, so why bother then ?

it wasn't important. But if this is true then suddenly it WILL be important

Would be amazing if that source would be B3D juniors from MS thread. (this rumor started @ B3D and later it gone to Examiner)

I would wager that is almost certainly the case.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the article cited by Examiner.com, it's just another no-name site that was "reporting" on the nonsense B3D rumors. Just another Xbox One fanboy circle jerk with zero credibility.

DJwest

Do you only buy laptops without a camera?

Microsoft is trying to set a standard for a console.
A standard that makes their console probably $100 more expensive. I have the option not to buy a camera with my laptop if I don't like the extra cost, don't shove it down my throat.

I can't believe someone actually seriously tried to make this comparrison
Welcome2NeoGaf.gif

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
shinra-bansho said:
Late downclocks have occurred before, I'm not sure what examples of late upclocks there are.
It really depends how we define "late" I guess, I'm not really aware of clock changes that occurred <6 months before launch.
But I suppose closest to "upclock" were changes on GCN, where GPU was downclocked and CPU was upped (but that change was more than 12mths before launch afaik).

sublimit

Banned
So you believe the Kinect is there continuously recording you? It is off, and you can turn off voice commands also. The only thing you can't do is unplug it if you want to use your console, which isn't a big deal unless your Kinect breaks..

But if i want it to be always off (and i do) then what's the reason paying 100$ for it?
The difference with my laptop camera is that i can control who is on the other side.With XB1 and kinect i can't.

Warablo

I can't believe someone actually seriously tried to make this comparrison

Why? Every tablet and laptop pretty much comes with a camera built in.. Microsoft is trying to do this. Ps4 was going to come with a camera also, but they dropped it to compete in price.

Price is better selling point than camera. Especially when your competition has a better camera.

I don't believe MS has officially announced some of their specs. I believe Sony has stated final specs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Seeing the pre-order numbers I doubt that changes.

At the end of the official PS4 specs pdf:

"Design and specifications are subject to change without notice".

I'm holding out hope (probably foolishly) that Microsoft will decide to sell a SKU without Kinect for $400 to try to be more price-competitive with the PS4. If they did that they'd eliminate the main advantage the PS4 has at this point, although Kinect seems so-heavily integrated into the X1 that it might just not be possible to remove it without having to make significant changes to the way the console operates.
They said the same thing about DRM.

artist

Banned
Yield issues (confirmed by CBOAT) and upclock dont mix.

The moderation on B3D really needs a do-over before those forums become the asylums of all the Reikos, Rangers ..

Apath

How can they make changes this late and still have proper time for stress testing and then manufacturing after that?

That Jaguar at 1,8GHz is still conservative.

A quad core Jaguar at 2GHz in a small APU is a completely different prospect to an octo core Jaguar in the largest and most complex APU AMD have ever designed.

Also, you are talking about Kabini, not Temash, Kabini goes into notebooks and has just 128 graphics ALUs compared to 1152 for PS4.

Also, you should notice that the TDP increased by 66% to increase the CPU clock by 33%, again, in a fixed box like PS4 (or Xbone) the (negligible) performance increase isn't worth the hassle of extra cooling.

Warablo

Why? Every tablet and laptop pretty much comes with a camera built in.. Microsoft is trying to do this. Ps4 was going to come with a camera also, but they dropped it to compete in price.

Price is better selling point than camera. Especially when your competition has a better camera.

But if i want it to be always off (and i do) then what's the reason paying 100$ for it?
The difference with my laptop camera is that i can control who is on the other side.With XB1 and kinect i can't.

Again, this leads me to believe you think Microsoft is starring at you. When really its there for Skype and camera/voice/motion controls for games and other features.

I don't think Microsoft is watching everyone's rooms and trying to find a remote item to market to them.

Key2001

Wasn't Themrphenix the original source for this from B3D? I know (((interference))) posted something similar but I believe that was later in the thread.

My source at Microsoft says they are playing with overclocking the GPU at 900 MHz,and ESRAM to 900 mhz.The is talk of upping the memory to 12 gigs of ddr3 leaving 7 gigs for gaming and 5 for OS.The memory upgrade is being discussed because the 3 OS are clunky and taking up a lot of memory to run as smooth as they want it too!

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1762521&postcount=4519

Themrphenix later changes the reason why MS is discussing upping the RAM to something more inline with what (((interference))) is claiming.

I have never said that the added ram or upclock was fact!I only told what my insider at Microsoft told me.He said they was told to come up with some easy cheap alternative to up the specs to please developers!So extra 4 gigs of ram was requested by serval developers!Microsofts own testing showed the GPU and ESRAM could be upclocked to 875 MHZ to 900 MHZ without much variance to the yields which remain inconsistent!So they presented there finding to those above them and are waiting for the green light!If the green light isn't given within in the next week,then most likely they will not happen!

You can chose to believe me or not,but my source has been 100% correct!I also work with an Xbox One development kit every work day!So as the hip hop saying goes haters gonna hate,lovers gonna love,and players going to play!

Ps
My track record includes telling you there was no downclock on GPU when the downclock rumor started!

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1764029&postcount=4722

The above post sounds a lot like some of the pastebin posts before the Xbox One reveal.

Majanew

Banned
So you believe the Kinect is there continuously recording you? It is off, and you can turn off voice commands also. The only thing you can't do is unplug it if you want to use your console, which isn't a big deal unless your Kinect breaks..

Now, if you can truly turn off Kinect... why can't you unplug it? Makes zero sense. If it's off, then why the hell would it be required to be plugged in?

ekim

I guess the thread served it's purpose.
Myth busted!

Some mod can close the thread before it gets ugly.

Warablo

Do you have any proof for that?

I've been trying to find the Neogaf thread with no luck.. If a kind soul knows where it please post.. There is other articles that state this, but I don't know exactly which sites are banned or w/e. Also saw a article saying Sony denied that they dropped the camera to compete for price.. All PS4's come with a camera game built in if that helps the story.

Now, if you can truly turn off Kinect... why can't you unplug it? Makes zero sense. If it's off, then why the hell would it be required to be plugged in?

Because the whole infrastructure is built on it. Plus like people have said, they want to shove it down our throats..

You can turn it off but it still has to listen to one phrase: "Xbox On". Only in Germany is it truly off-off.

You can turn this off, that is what I originally was saying. I am not sure if voice commands for like feature things can be turned off or not though.. Like Twitch broadcast. I have no idea if that can be turned off or not..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom