• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading this thread, I got to thinking about how Nintendo will follow up the DS. Obviously, it has to be backwards compatible with DS (and probably the GBA), so I was a bit stuck on how one would approach it's design. After a bit of brain farting, I came up with this quick scribble on Windows Journal:

TS_ideation.jpg

After a night's sleep, I decided that it was good enough idea to flesh out a bit more with Photoshop, so here it is after a few hours of fumbling about:

Nintendo_TS.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DScompat.jpg

The idea is pretty self explanatory I think. What do you guys think?

edit: here are 3 variations on the theme I did throughout this thread:

A. Analog nub + action buttons on the front

Nintendo_TSa.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DSBC.jpg

B. Circle swivel deign

Nintendo_TSb.jpg

Nintendo_TS_DSBCb.jpg

C. Slide down + Swivel design

Nintendo_TSc.jpg

laserbeam

Banned
need to have the screen be able to slide up so it can be horizontal and still have access to controls for outside of ds mode

Verve

if it got any kind of screen protection, i wouldn't mind nintendo making another hardware revision for DS this way... like it.

laserbeam said:
need to have the screen be able to slide up so it can be horizontal and still have access to controls for outside of ds mode
In it's widescreen mode, the multi-touch digitizer is suppose to be the only star of the show. You know, Nintendo quirk and all. ;)

McHuj

I like it. And that's how I would expect nintendo to go.

The bestway to simply the DS is remove the buttons.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Shog put a broadway in there it's going into the next nintendo handheld. BTW if nintendo does this you should ask them for some money because that seutp is better than the DS.

Verve said:
if it got any kind of screen protection, i wouldn't mind nintendo making another hardware revision for DS this way... like it.

Could make this function as it stands, but have it be like a tablet PC where it can fold up like the current DS, then have the screen fall down face up.

No idea if this is mechanically possible.

Acerac

Banned
How would you play games like Ninja Gaiden and Brain Training where you have to hold the DS like a book? I mean, I can imagine it but it'd be crazy awkward.

*Edit*

Never mind, I guess there is enough space to hold on to it. Would block the speakers or the mic though.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I think this design is almost perfect, but the main problem is games that were designed to use the gap in the DS.

Yoshi's Island DS
Contra 4 (I think)
Sonic Rush

Also left and right audio now becomes up and down!

:(

Kick ass idea tho.

Deku

Banned
I think Sega might make a run for it again and license DC tech to Nintendo for the followup with 100% compatability to all of Sega's DC games. All they need to do is port it to the new media format. :D DCportable 2009.

neogaf1.gif

RubxQub said:
I think this design is almost perfect, but the main problem is games that were designed to use the gap in the DS.

Yoshi's Island DS
Contra 4 (I think)
Sonic Rush

Hmmm... I guess I could stretch out the LCD to something like 420 x 260 and have even bigger virtual border in the middle of the LCD.

r4z4

Would like to be able to access the d-pad and buttons with the screen horizontal but that looks very nice.

I think that's awesome, but it should have another configuration. At the moment, when you want to use D-Pad and buttons, you're stuck with an N-Gage style screen. I don't know how possible it is, but it could work so you can also have the screen in landscape, and then you slide the buttons from underneath like a Sidekick or something.

RubxQub said:

Yoshi's Island DS
Contra 4 (I think)
Sonic Rush

Also left and right audio now becomes up and down!

Kick ass idea tho.

Consoles aren't designed in a night, fortunately. =)

If Nintendo were to pursue this idea, there are many ways to slightly modify this.

Wow, this is brilliant.

But put the speakers on the solid part, not the moveable part.

Also, the screen would have to be larger. Not just for larger's sake, but because many games honor the hinge gap of the current DS, so for BC mode you would need to have a space blacked out between the emulated DS screens.

Nexus Zero said:
I think that's awesome, but it should have another configuration. At the moment, when you want to use D-Pad and buttons, you're stuck with an N-Gage style screen. I don't know how possible it is, but it could work so you can also have the screen in landscape, and then you slide the buttons from underneath like a Sidekick or something.
Yeah, that would be nice, but I don't think the complex mechanics required for such operation is ideal for durability nor the price.

you'd need fake dead space between the screens for some games and not for others. you could make it toggleable as you can toggle the GBA to either screen and that.

I think you may have to change it to a flip and swivel design in order to protect the screen though. But that would also let you use the d-pad and the buttons with a widescreen display.

Tobor

They will definitely take out the GBA slot. They are going to want to resell GB games on the virtual console.

Tobor said:
They will definitely take out the GBA slot. They are going to want to resell GB games on the virtual console.

Oh wow, you're clever. I was thinking of many economical and engineering reasons to remove the slot, but that's even more suited to Nintendo. :lol

Tiktaalik

That would be incredible. Best SMUP system of all time? I think so.

The only issue is the exposed screen, but I could imagine Nintendo just making some flip cover that snapped to the back for it or something.

Branduil

I'd change it so that the screen is covered by default, then you can flip it up into horizontal mode, twist it, and put it down.

Scrow said:
built-in motion detection (think Wario Ware Twisted) is a must.
That's pretty cool idea. I wonder if there is enough space for a decent sensor.

As for the cover, I thought about it alot beforehand, but I decided against it because of the mechanical complexity and since people are OK with PSP and iPhone, they could deal with buying accessories to protect something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom