• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penis-Powered Game Gets Oculus Rift Support (Post #309 hands-on review)

Mask

4KYbJwW.png

It supports other games too...

"I was doing great on R-Type, until I came on level 3.."

x240-hG1.jpg

A digital frontier.

I tried to picture clusters of information as they move through the computer.
What do they look like?
Chips. Motorcycles. Were the circuts like freeways?

I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see.

And then...one day

4macX8q.jpg

...I got in.

Apologies to Tron: Legacy fans. I'm one too, but couldn't help myself

amnesiac

A digital frontier.

What do they look like?

And then...one day

...I got in.

tumblr_m311cmVTRk1r2zvsmo1_500.gif

Nikodemos

"Lets Play" videos just got a whole lot more interesting! Speedruns as well!
I suspect they'll need a different video upload site.

Like Dailymotion or Metacafe; they have parental filters you can turn off, unlike that PoS Youtube.

tafer

It came but ugh it's been a pain to install. 3am here so I'll have to quit for the night.

Got some Amazon limited edition which came with an extra pocket sized fleshlight (why???) and a CD with some limited edition costumes or something.

!!!

Subscribed!

It came but ugh it's been a pain to install. 3am here so I'll have to quit for the night.

Got some Amazon limited edition which came with an extra pocket sized fleshlight (why???) and a CD with some limited edition costumes or something.

That's nice of them! It'll help pass the time during installation.

Seik

Banned

Welp.

Wubby
It came
(Yesterday, 02:16 PM)

Wubby

For science!

And...wow.

Finally worked out the installation bugs, installed the latest patch and the alpha patch for VR support and got it working. Not going to create a new OT or anything like that for this as it's already embarrassing enough!

This really is fascinating. I feel like I've just seen the beginning of things to come. Kinda reminds me of a scene in Minority Report when Tom Cruise goes to a cyber parlor. Also brought up memories of Roger Rabbit and the cartoon girls being with real people. And now you can in a way. Though it's not Jessica Rabbit...

In the Box:

jg54Zdl4V4xBp.jpg

Once you get the box open here's what you'll find (sorry for the dark picture).

-DVD case (two discs and manual inside. One disc is for the regular Custom Maid 3D and the other is to upgrade it to the Ju-C Air version.
-Ju-C Air controller (It's a wireless controller)
-5 plastic shims
-Small bag with two sponge stickers and small adhesive shims (will explain these later)
-Wireless USB adapter
-AAA battery
-Inner hole (this is what the box calls the business end of the device)
-3x small lotion packs
-Resealable storage bag for silicone insert.

The Controller

*Insert not installed

Feels like your typical Chinese made plastic controller. Plastic is kinda sturdy. Quality feels maybe on par with Razer devices but not as good as Logitech. Has a grainy texture on it similar to a 360 controller for improved grip. On/Off switch, joystick and three buttons. Two buttons on the back are R/L mouse buttons and the one on the front is simply labeled 'G'. The G button only seems to be useful for one thing but it is an interesting function, more on that later. There are also vent holes around the end of the device, four on the front and five on the back.

The end of the controller pops off and the controller splits open in half. I'm not a fan at all of how you have to open the end of the controller. It isn't an easy operation and if you don't have long nails you'll need to keep something like a flat head screwdriver or similar handy to open it up. For the amount of times you'll be opening this up I think they could have designed that better. I'm also afraid the clip might break at some point.

Once it's open you'll see the three metal prongs on one side. These are the sensors that give the controller it's special famous 'power'. They give you some small adhesive plastic shims. You can use these to adjust the responsiveness of the sensors.

They also give you 5 plastic shims you can use to adjust the level of compression. With all 5 installed it's rather taut. You'll have to really play around with it to get it adjusted perfectly. Too loose though and the sensors have a hard time working.

A small plastic door pops off the end of of the of inside revealing an opening where the AAA battery is to be installed. Also a small white adhesive backed sponge needs to be attached inside the device on the upper side. This is to help protect against any leakage as there is a small slit cut into the side of the inner hole insert near the end.

Which I guess brings us to the inner hole insert. Aside from the box contents pic at the top I won't post any more of this. Not much to see on the outside anyway. Just a round white chunk of silicone or some other form of phthalate-free polymer. It seems rather heavy duty and has a good mass to it so I'm guessing it should last a while as long as it's well taken care of. They give a resealable style bag to store it in when not in use.

No drivers were needed to get the device working. Doesn't seem to work outside of the game. The joystick doesn't move the mouse cursor nor do the L/R buttons work when not in game so if you were dreaming of using this device as a kind of hands free mouse you may be out of luck unless you can figure out some drivers or another way to get it working.

So finally onto the.... game!

I won't post many pictured of this part sorry. This is a PG forum after all. Plus the print screen button doesn't seem to work so pictures would be from the iPhone which isn't so great as you see in one pic below.

Once you are in the game you will need to enter a name of your character and eventually after a little back story you get to a screen where you are able to custom design your own maid. Many options I won't get into them all. If you are really curious someone did a youtube vid of it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0byu6HE_eYY

There is a calibration screen for the controller where you can test out the responsiveness of the sensors. Here is where you can tell whether you need to add shims or not.

I guess now is a good point to mention the Rift support. The alpha Rift drivers creates a new .exe which you will need to use if you want to use the Rift. Only works with the Ju-C Air version so you can't get the drivers and use it with the regular non-device version. Also I should note that the Ju-C air version is an updated version of the older game it seems so none of the fan-made English translation addons work with this version unfortunately. And since the controller required Ju-C Air version isn't exactly something everyone around the world can pirate it's doubtful anyone will make addons for this version.

The Rift is only supported in the 'Playroom' part of the game. You can probably guess what that is. Doesn't work with the dance part, character customization or chat. Also the 'game' portion has been removed from the playroom in the Rift version and everything is unlocked. You usually have to play through the game to unlock new rooms, positions and such but not in the rift version.

Also being Alpha the menus aren't fully rift supported so they only show up in one eye. I found it best to just close the other eye to use the menus otherwise you have to take off the headset. Also in the playroom the mouse no longer works. You will only be able to control the options using the joystick and buttons on the Ju-C Air controller.

Since it's Japanese it is censored which kills the immersion a bit. The low resolution of the screen doesn't really make much of a difference here. Not much detail to be seen anyway.

You can choose a variety of positions in the playroom. The camera always starts off in a 3rd person view which threw me off at first since there's no easy way to tell how to move the camera. I later figured it out but it's a bit of a pain. You always have to move the camera to get the right spot if you choose a different position.

From a first person perspective:
*I tried to get some shots from other positions but with my limited costume selection this was the only one that wasn't too revealing!

Once you get it into the correct position it is an interesting site to behold. Just like a lot of stuff on the Rift you do get that feeling that you can reach out and touch what you are seeing. And with this you can in a way.

Your maid moves and makes sounds in accordance with the movement of the device. This is where the three sensors on the inside come into play. I guess I should also mention what the 'G' button does now. When it's time to 'finish' you push the 'G' button for a special ending animation sequence!

Conclusion:

The future of erotic gaming is definitely getting closer. It's an interesting experience even in it's censored, low resolution state. Is it worth it? Well $100 is about my limit for what I consider throw away money so for what I paid I say yes. I've wasted more on less interesting things! But I don't know if I'd pay more than that.

I would say though that outside the 'real deal' this is probably the closest you can get to you know what with today's technology. Just be careful when and where you use it! With the VR headset on and earphones you can't be too sure what is around you in the real world. Which would make for a rather interesting situation to say the least.

Off to sleep again so any questions will get answered tomorrow.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My god, we're so close to the greatest combination ever. We need to take this game, its controller, the Oculus Rift, and put them with this Aireal technology that's being worked on that'll allow to "feel" virtual objects.

Yasae

Banned
A small plastic door pops off the end of of the of inside revealing an opening where the AAA battery is to be installed. Also a small white adhesive backed sponge needs to be attached inside the device on the upper side. This is to help protect against any leakage as there is a small slit cut into the side of the inner hole insert near the end.
No words.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
x240-hG1.jpg

A digital frontier.

What do they look like?

And then...one day

4macX8q.jpg

...I got in.

bravo!

but chips should be ships

LordCanti

There's got to be a way to get this thing to install. The patch comes up with an error in Japanese every time I try it.

I want to laugh GAF. I need the hilarity of POV Eroge in my life.

I just want to watch someone play this game with the jerk off device. There needs to be hands on footage, it's hard to imagine how it works. Wubby, you're our only hope! (We can do a private cam session)

cube444

Can you actually see/feel the box stretching? If so, might be day one for me.

I wanna beat it up like a catcher's mitt.

Ahmed360

Wubby, you've gotta do more reviews/previews! I really enjoyed reading what you wrote, straight to point and simple to read and understand!

Brofield

...all I want is the link to the ingame cutscenes. Don't need to spend $100 for something to make me feel good.

Nevertheless, bless you Wubby for the science.

Syntax

For science!

And...wow.

Good review, fellow scientist. But like any worthwhile scientific endeavor this will require deep, penetrating, exhaustive research before any definitive conclusions. One round of testing won't be sufficient to quell the scientific curiosity of the fine learned fellows at Gaf Institute of Science.

Top Bottom