• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendogs online and Yoshi's Island online to be announced soon?

Bo130

Hi, I'm doing the weekly threads about online activity for Nintendo-games. The guy behind the program I used in the beginning just contacted me, some of the offline games previously released just began having connections to WFC, which seems a bit odd.

Now, I haven't been following this for more than a few weeks, but it's the first time I see anything of this kind. My first thought was that they might be testing how online works in the games already released, but that may seem a bit far fetched. If someone made a hack of the games, with online, I'm not sure if the game would still have the same game code. I guess that could be a possibility as well.

The games in question are Nintendogs and Yoshi's Island DS.

If there's a logical explanation for this, please share, and lock the topic. I don't wanna get anyones hopes up, I just found this a bit odd.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not entirely sure how it would be possible given that the DS has no onboard memory so you would be unable to patch anything. It'd have to be done using a GBA cart.

Do you mind posting the gamecodes or whatever so people could check out the info on nintendowifi.com?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Nintendo re-releasing Player's Choice games with Wi-Fi connection included. That's my guess since I don't see how they can just add wifi play to the existing games out there.

It'd have to be a damn good hack to make it go through Nintendo's service, Wario might be closest.

Also, Yoshi's Island was going to have Wi-Fi at one point if thats any help, and Nintendogs should of had it. With voice chat.

edit: also of note: the Nintendogs is only on one version, and the activity was only on one day shown.

Wario64 said:
Nintendo re-releasing Player's Choice games with Wi-Fi connection included. That's my guess since I don't see how they can just add wifi play to the existing games out there.

That's pretty much what they did with the japanese version of Clubhouse Games, so I think it's a pretty good guess.

Ramenman

Well, Nintendogs I see how it could be used, but Yoshi Island ? Is there some kind of multiplayer mode in this one ?

Ramenman said:
Well, Nintendogs I see how it could be used, but Yoshi Island ? Is there some kind of multiplayer mode in this one ?

They should just steel the entire gamecode for Yoshi Touch and Go and put that online. Because that game is fanfuckingtastic, and multiplayer is a ton of fun.

Zynx

Maybe someone hacked/spoofed the game names on the "Nintendo Wi-Fi" network? It's notoriously insecure. If there's simply centralized servers that provide matchmaking based on a DS-submitted "game ID" without actually checking what these "game ID's" are, perhaps someone programmed something to simulate a DS with the other games' "game ID's" while connecting to the network?

Wario64 said:
Nintendo recently ruled out re-releasing games under a player's choice range.

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
if it was something done by hackers, we would already have heard of it
Not really, it could be in the proof of concept phases at the moment. They wouldn't want to release a concept before they've fully explored possibilities. Nintendo would patch it up immediately.

TheGreatDave said:
They should just steel the entire gamecode for Yoshi Touch and Go and put that online. Because that game is fanfuckingtastic, and multiplayer is a ton of fun.
I like the direction this thread is going. :D

Visualante said:
Not really, it could be in the proof of concept phases at the moment. They wouldn't want to release a concept before they've fully explored possibilities. Nintendo would patch it up immediately.

they often announce those kind of things, before releasing things... doesn't matter anyway, it's not like I'm suddenly goind to play nintendogs again

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Maybe Yoshis Island DS still has the online code in it and some people hacked the game to use it just like they did for additional courses in Mario Kart DS?

donny2112

RiskyChris said:
I like Yoshi. I heard T&G was awful, should I buy yes?

If you can find it for $20, it's well worth it. It's an arcade type setup, so you'll just be going to beat your high score and see how far you can get in single-player. That's a bit thin for $30 (thought, it's lots of fun if "get the high score" gameplay is your thing), but $20 is great. The multi-player is great fun and only requires one cartridge. It's only one mode, but it's a mode not in the main game.

Yoshi said:
Maybe Yoshis Island DS still has the online code in it and some people hacked the game to use it just like they did for additional courses in Mario Kart DS?

They didn't hack into online for Mario Kart DS. They just changed the values allowed for selection in the online part.

mrkgoo

Could it be possible to tunnel a signal from the DS through the Wii?

Like, can the wii handle all the online traffic and send out a signal that mimics the 'other' DS? Therefore the DS thinks it's just communicating with another DS. I know the DS uses a proprietary wifi signal (when using local connection) - does the Wii have capability to mimic that? I know nothing of wireless connectivity, so let me know if I'm just talking crap.

But it would be so awesome - any game with muliplayer could then be played online if partners had a wii. Advance Wars!

People tried to the tunnel the DS a lot before WiFi connection kicked off. I followed it and saw no developments, I don't think much as changed.

Which is a shame, because a GAF 8-player Band Brothers would be amazing.

I love Yoshi T&G. You need to give it some time and have a mentality for something of it's nature but Marathon mode is so much fun. It's got that Geometry Wars feel where you enter a zone and just keep going and going until you beat your score, then try and do it again.

It was much more enjoyable than YI: DS

okay touch and go is designed as a handheld game. you do the same thing over and over, although the levels are randomized. the main draw is seeing how far you can get, and beating your high score. its going to be played in short bursts

short bursts of incredibly fun and challenging gameplay that is. its the purest example of fun i've played on the ds. theres all kind of techniques, skill shots, and multitasking to master, it has a frantic pace, and its presentation is wonderful. for these reasons, i'm sure i'll still be picking it up 10 years from now.

Amir0x

Banned
Yoshi's Touch 'n Go is interesting. On the one hand, it is mildly enjoyable... on the other hand, it has about as much content as one of the mini-games in New! Super Mario Bros. I definitely felt ripped off.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Maybe my dream of a GBA slot attachment that gives WFC to normally ad hoc only games isn't so far fetched. Yeah right. It's going to turn out to be something stupid.

JKBii

Touch and Go was nice, but it could have been a lot better if there were more levels as opposed to one continuous long level. I was actually disappointed to find out Yoshi's Island DS didn't play like Yoshi's Touch and Go.

Touch 'n' Go is fun if you're into score attack, but don't pay a cent over $20 for it. It's just way too lean.

Multiplayer is super-rad on it though.

Slavik81

TheGreatDave said:
Are you being sarcastic? I really hope you are.
I honestly think that Yoshi Touch'n'Go! is the worst game I ever have ever played.

Slavik81 said:
I honestly think that Yoshi Touch'n'Go! is the worst game I ever have ever played.
Then you really haven't played much. It's a poor value for full price, but that's because there isn't much to it, not because there's anything wrong with what's actually there.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I know this is pretty unlikely, but is it possible these are actually Wii games? There were rumors of a Yoshi's Island game being in development for Wii earlier this year and Nintendogs Wii is pretty much a no-brainer. Just a thought.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VideoMan said:
I know this is pretty unlikely, but is it possible these are actually Wii games? There were rumors of a Yoshi's Island game being in development for Wii earlier this year and Nintendogs Wii is pretty much a no-brainer. Just a thought.

Wouldn't have the same game codes, unfortunately. Nice train of thought though.

Of course, I guess hypothetically it could be WiiWare ports of the titles with patched in online modes that report the same game codes... but I think that's wishful thinking.

Shiggy

Stumpokapow said:
Wouldn't have the same game codes, unfortunately. Nice train of thought though.

Of course, I guess hypothetically it could be WiiWare ports of the titles with patched in online modes that report the same game codes... but I think that's wishful thinking.

Yeah, how would they manage the Touch Screen controls with the Wii?

Slavik81 said:

I don't. I think it's one of the best on DS. No sarcasm or anything. It is pricey for the amount of content there but the concept and mechanics completely sold me on the DS. It makes me sad that less games are trying to use the touch screen in a similar way.

Banned
DS carts have the ability to leave space on them that can be written to, right? Perhaps they're preparing a 'DS Channel' on the Wii that can allow you to download free demos and patches for 100 points that will give you online functionality to old games.

Crazy, maybe, but who knows! We can dream...

zodiak

omg rite said:
I'm confused.

How do you know those are Nintendogs and YI?
Go to play-asia.com, lookup the game and check the serial, it's not that hard. :)

mj1108 said:
Nice find, I can tell you RGS is Ghost Squad and RZ2/RZ3 are some Japanese puzzle games. The other ones are still unknown.
For a complete list of known codes check here http://wfcstatus.net/games.html.

Slavik81

TheGreatDave said:
I don't. I think it's one of the best on DS. No sarcasm or anything. It is pricey for the amount of content there but the concept and mechanics completely sold me on the DS. It makes me sad that less games are trying to use the touch screen in a similar way.
I suppose. Were it $2, it would have been a pretty good game. However, it and Mario 64 DS destroyed the little faith I had in the DS... Until Castlevania, Phoenix Wright & Ouendan rolled around.

But isn't this thread about Yoshi's Island 2?

donny2112

TheGreatDave said:
It makes me sad that less games are trying to use the touch screen in a similar way.

Oh, yes. It uses both screens, microphone, and massive use of the touch screen long before most other titles used any of those as more than an OBTW.

If you like "get the high score" games:
$20 = BUY
$30 = LOOK FOR SOMEONE SELLING IT FOR $20

I paid $25 when it came out. It was a great showcase of the kinds of gameplay the DS could do, but there are other games that do that now that are meatier. For $20, it would still be worth it, though.

Multiplayer is great fun, if you can find someone to play with. Single-cartridge multiplayer.

nli10

I'm guessing if they were working on a new nintendogs style title (likely) would it possibly have the same code as the old ones? Some new breeds and interaction with NintenCats (or whatever)?

I know it's reaching really, but if they had the online code for the new 'Cat' game then maybe they would staple it onto the old dogs one to try it out.

If nothing hits the service again in the next two weeks for this I'd disregard though...

Top Bottom