• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Photography Thread (Spoilers!)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
After seeing some of the pictures from the official Pikmin 3 thread and having spent a few hours playing around with the camera feature in-game, I think an official Pikmin 3 photography thread is in order.

Some ground rules:
  • This thread will be full of spoilers. Don’t proceed any further if you haven’t finished the game.
  • Post a maximum of three pictures per post. It’s just easier to read and focus on a few pictures at a time rather than scrolling through dozens.
  • Write a blurb for each of your pictures. It would be awesome if you say where exactly you took the shot if possible, so others can try to replicate it themselves if they want to.
How to take photos:
Pictures are taken either through the in-game camera app or through the home button > miiverse > post > attachment. You can access the photos later on miiverse and host it through any image hosting service.

My Three Shots:

iLlpY66.jpg

Nectarous Dandelfly and sleeping spotted bulborbs - probably one of the easier pretty pictures to take in Twilight River. Under the bridge that leads to the boss. I think the next time I will try to get the giant tree stump in the picture as well.

mn6pXFC.jpg

I was completely blown away by the Formidable Oak setting, really like the termite mound look of the structure. This shot comes at the ending. Miiverse home menu shot.

wkadsAf.jpg

Peckish Aristocrab and a Yellow Wollywog hanging out. Just pretty critters together at the Tropical wild by the banana. I read the wollywog can actually break the crab’s claw, which is hilarious.

Oidisco

I needed a thread like this. I've taken so many pictures and it hurts trying to stop myself from posting them all

zlCfzRFVEngvGbq23J

This is one of many attempts I've made to get to higher ground. I love taking large sweeping shots of areas, to the point where I've tried to glitch/exploit certain areas by throwing captains everywhere!
zlCfzRE9pjAg7O4F9L

I've posted this picture twice in the OT, but I just love it so much I wanna post it again and again!
zlCfzRERJA47t3wY0B

Vacation Photo.

Pitmonkey

I'll play

ZaEuz5i.jpg

8HaxNKI.jpg

The way this game portrays weather is gorgeous.

P2Q17E0.jpg
[/img]

Oo42yu2.jpg

Brilliant boss battle's in this game

VEnFTyj.jpg

P3NofZq.jpg

U5CieUW.jpg

DfmE6n3.jpg

And a higher-rez version of the end screen.

sis8XoK.jpg

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Nectarous Dandelfly and sleeping spotted bulborbs - probably one of the easier pretty pictures to take in Twilight River. Under the bridge that leads to the boss. I think the next time I will try to get the giant tree stump in the picture as well.

Really like this. do these stills look better than the ingame stuff? Also, as cool as it looks, that ground texture....blarf

Oidisco

Really like this. do these stills look better than the ingame stuff? Also, as cool as it looks, that ground texture....blarf

They look much better in-game. And remember, you don't actually see the floor that close up, so in-game the ground textures look just fine.

Timeaisis

Man, I need to start taking more pictures. This game is gorgeous up close. Granted, it's gorgeous top-down as well, but damn.

I was always stung by the fact you never really get to explore the setting of the formidable oak but damn that shot in the opening post is good.
Anyway I'll have to jump back in the game and find a good view, in the meantime some old pics.

zlCfzRENQ2g6ImlZQO

I'm still proud of this one, as you may guess it took a lot of setup and I learnt the hard way that some rocks are just too slippery for pikmin to keep their footing on.

zlCfzREn_-EMamLGe3

In taking this sacrificial shot I was amazed to witness just how swift the Wollywogs jump actually is to take off, I don't think i'd have noticed the after image like effect and water splash either until paying closer attention.

zlCfzRESVWgkjhvTYt

Originally I planned to have more pikmin taking shelter from the rain under the makeshift leaf tent but in the end opted for the single rock pikmin who fits in well with the soil.
To get the angle I had to lob Brittany up onto the wooden fence that once trapped her, funny how that works.

kubus

Nice thread! :D. Some of my shots:

zlCfzRERhHE_PEdk-T

I really liked the composition in this picture, somehow. The lighting is so beautiful in this game.

zlCfzREVeAQsfWp_vQ

Was trying to make some "nature shots", so I threw a bunch of Pikmin into a flower and snapped pics. Didn't work out as well as I wanted, but this one is kinda cute.

zlCfzRFK-6gi480QUZ

Sleeping Bulbears are cute. Not so much when they're awake, though.

I love this game. Haven't taken many pictures yet even though I've collected all of the fruit and only have one more mission to platinum. Love to see what you guys come up with though. This game is so beautiful.

ciD_Vain

As soon as this boss came out of the ground, i really wanted to snap a pic!

zlCfzRFjPikgKVu7v-

My favorite two pikmin types after a long day in my favorite season of the year.

zlCfzRFwR48YwdHIA5

This weird glitch happened to two of my pink pikmin! I ended up losing them at nightfall :(

zlCfzRFmO5kghm9M1E

BorkBork

The stills are the same as in-game I think, no touch ups or anything. Yeah I try to avoid the generic ground textures, although there are many places (ceramic bridges, porcelain tiles, snow, mud) that look incredible, especially in the rain.

Oidisco: Love the second pic for the sheer foliage density and messiness. One of those "more is more" pieces.

mohuerta: Love the snagret, especially when the Pikmin have finished plucking it lol.

Nocturnowl: The first one is great for the setup (love the lone flying Pikmin in the front), the second one is a gorgeous action shot. Awesome.

kubus: I really like the second one with mischevious-ish pink guy. Very natural.

ciD_Vain: Best Mireclops shot I've seen. Also like the glitchy one. Very artsy.

superpickleman: The high-up shot with the snow and the grapes is soo pretty.

BorkBork

A few more I just took:

MIfHQqn.jpg

The Calcified Crushblat in the Tropical Wild. Very stretchy strange creature. I forgot the lone rock pikmin in the back but I think it's kind of funny that way.

KqQ5edV.jpg

In a tundra cave with the crawdad. The light from the Brittany and Charlie made it look more sinister than it already was.

z5pJGov.jpg

Waddlepus in the Garden of Hope. I like how it seems like it has a tail. I noticed its strange eyes for the first time through taking the shot.

MqDZLRT.jpg

^ Looks like a photograph the photo-man from EarthBound would take. I can totally picture him jumping from nowhere and shouting "Say Fuzzy Pickles !"

hkO3yp3.jpg

^ I wanted to capture the feeling of some wildlife documentary, complete with the cameraman hidden in the bushes, and the unsuspecting animal wandering around.

iojVt1x.jpg

^ This bastard charging me made it difficult to take a satisfying photo, but I really wanted to take these blue eyes.

Hiltz

Great photos. Those bulborbs looks adorable from afar, but then you see them close up and then you see those eyes. They feel like they can see right through you. It's kind of creepy. By the way, the names of these creatures is amusing.

That Creepy Crawdad picture is so good, it helps that Charlie looks like he's reeling in shock and who wouldn't be?
Speaking of the Waddlepus I too was just trying to get a good shot of it earlier and in doing so it's leaped up my favourite wildlife ranks for the way it snores out bubbles and occasionally takes a sleepy eyed glance around the area.

zlCfzRFy-owJflHrIT

Taking a photo of the snitchbug in action has been a pet project of mine, I eventually switched from Pikmin bait to Alph because his face is kind of hilarious when being dragged around,despite this I ended up settling on this picture where you can't see Alph's terrified face, instead he gets to enjoy a vomit inducing upside down view of the area.
Snitchbug ain't much of a player when it comes to getting a good shot in, its throwing motion is swift and erratic and it's not always going to be at the right angle when swooping or slamming. After many (many!) tries I was happy enough with this one because of the background and that mid grasp shot.
When toying with the snitchbug I discovered that if you're grasped and whisked off into the sky you can actually remain in the camera mode.

zlCfzRFzKbI16vW2T6

Turns out you can also take photos while floating off in a bubble, bringing in pikmin for a bubbling led to too much clutter or rouge flowerheads sneaking in the edge of a photo.
So I tried to get a good bubble bound view of one or two of the other captains in a bubble.
To say this was a pain was an understatement due to the various directions and angles you can get strewn off in. Two reasons why this one won out, first is that Brittany managed to be dead centre and (sort of) facing towards the camera, second is that another bubble has surrounded her and its hosts a forest filled reflection, one of those little details I'd never have noticed without the photo function.

zlCfzREn9nwRIUJPDX

Puffy Blowhog, now looking more rubbery and balloon like than ever before thanks to the rain.
While the original plan was catching it at its near bursting inhale or during its pikmin spreading exhale I just couldn't resist its rather disgruntled looking expression here.
You know when I say it like that it's kind of clear that a Pokemon snap mentality was running through my mind for this one, Professor Oak would probably have preferred me to catch it mid exhale for extra points.

Great photos. Those bulborbs looks adorable from afar, but then you see them close up and then you see those eyes. They feel like they can see right through you. It's kind of creepy. By the way, the names of these creatures is amusing.
While we're on the subject of creepiness, I stumbled upon this picture on Miiverse :

You get this effect in his eyes with the flash apparently. Anyone who has ever taken pictures of animals would know this is an actual effect you're getting. I though this was an awesome little touch. But yep, still creepy.

zlCfzRFzKbI16vW2T6

Turns out you can also take photos while floating off in a bubble, bringing in pikmin for a bubbling led to too much clutter or rouge flowerheads sneaking in the edge of a photo.
So I tried to get a good bubble bound view of one or two of the other captains in a bubble.
To say this was a pain was an understatement due to the various directions and angles you can get strewn off in. Two reasons why this one won out, first is that Brittany managed to be dead centre and (sort of) facing towards the camera, second is that another bubble has surrounded her and its hosts a forest filled reflection, one of those little details I'd never have noticed without the photo function.

What an awesome picture!

Blues1990

I'm unsure how I can obtain my Miiverse photos, so would it be possible if someone could give me a step-by-step guide to show me how?

Fandangox

I'm unsure how I can obtain my Miiverse photos, so would it be possible if someone could give me a step-by-step guide to show me how?

Go here.

miiverse.nintendo.net

Sign up with your NNID and go to your activity feed, your latest posts will show up.
Click on them and right click to get the image URL.

So many great photos in this thread! Most of mine are just pictures of dead bosses, but here are some others I took...

Locked in a fierce war with the Sandbelching Meerslug, one lazy red Pikmin decides to just watch as his brethren unleash upon the beast.
zlCfzRFlPdUCJecwvl

The final boss battle with the Plasm Wrath was absolute chaos. Good Pikmin management would feature tactical strikes with the different colours, but I struggled to keep them all in line and just relied on the abundance of Pikmin available in the nearby Onion to overwhelm it.
zlCfzRFquUoSB4NpUy

Shahadan

Eatchildren should have been the one to handle marketing. His pics look like promo screenshots.
Btw this thread is amazing, I should have used the camera.

Fighting the 3rd boss:

zlCfzRDsnroLTiO9Wo

Slide in the cave where Brittany crash-lands the second time:

zlCfzRDouDkZJ6TR_c

Carrying back the Dragon Fruit collected from the 1st (?) Boss:

zlCfzRDooRoA_MOPRJ

Murrah

Banned
Man everyone's pictures in here are so cool. I've taken a few but none as good as any of these. Just got the last fruit earlier tonight so I might start going around trying to nab some wicked prints before doing the last boss

Tough I did find this on a wall in garden of hope earlier and thought it was cool, so at least I can contribute something

zlCfzRFznjspn-glwb

The Lamp

This game is so unsettling to look at. The haphazard mix of sharp textures and piss poor textures is so bizarre.

At least it looks better than Pikmin 2, but that isn't hard.

BorkBork

Stormbringer - Alph's my favourite. Just got that look that cracks me up everytime. I was also thinking of hiding in the bushes to take a shot, so I'll give it a go based on your second pic.

Nocturnowl - WTF man. How are you getting those shots?! I have no words. The detail and sheen on that snitchbug... Damn. Then there is the bubble shot. Insane.

Abstractalien - I remember that sequence catching me completely off-guard when Brittany gets sent flying. So random and awesome.

Tackhead #9 - Beauties, both of them. The first confirmed my suspicions that some pikmin are inherent slackers. Love the detailed background on the second shot. Love everything about formidable oak.

Streetsahead- I really like the shot of the phosphobat. The way it flaps is really creepy, as is the back half of the creature. Reminds me of a glossy rubber chicken. Gross.

Murrah - I never noticed those drawings. I need to scour around for them now.

Oidisco

zlCfzRFIZJwSbRYFvj

zlCfzRFHvqw57Dqcio

I love this picture. Seriously.
zlCfzRE9_P0xp8VblW

This picture was part of a terrible, awful revenge plot that I made cos why not. I guess it's been spoiled for you now.

Gawd this thread fucking kills me. There's no way in hell I'm buying a wii u solely for this game, but damn it sucks not to be able to play it :(

BorkBork

zlCfzRFHvqw57Dqcio

I love this picture. Seriously.

I was trying to set one like this up myself. Fun fun.

Ok here's my three for tonight:
MDfTaUP.jpg

Deep musings by Charlie. Classic Pikmin charm is always found in the logs.

Rs986pm.jpg

Charlie gets a good tongue lashing.

TGTrRe1.jpg

A tree on the Meerslug hehe.

A quick mention for some other pics in here, love that final boss shot from Tackhead, it nicely summarizes the Great Oak experience and managed to get the environment in there as well.
Odisco's terrified Blue Pikmin is a source of amusement, never noticed the image carved into the wood on Murrah's photo and then that's quite an angle to pull of that tree head illusion from BorkBork.

Anyway here's three more...

zlCfzRF9Q7EwWx-HCT

I can't get over that Puffy Blowhog photobombing this picture, he is a witness to the red Pikmin murder

zlCfzRF9S9kHsLdc7T

Then there's this smug fella, look at him, staring dead at me, he knows what he's done and he's happy about it. Considering the original plan was to try and catch the Blue pikmin the act of beating it to death I guess he well and truly won this round.

zlCfzRF9XpIPYu1nZR

To make up for the Pikmin slaughter here's flowers and stuff, I kind of like how the edge of the broken blockade is like a lookout tower for the Yellow Pikmin. Plus that Butterfly adds an extra something to otherwise basic scene.

red731

Dem Pikmen!
Seriously some pretty great pictures here! I don't think I will ever play it, but is seriously looks astounding!
Thanks for the idea and sharing!

BorkBork

zlCfzRF9S9kHsLdc7T

Then there's this smug fella, look at him, staring dead at me, he knows what he's done and he's happy about it. Considering the original plan was to try and catch the Blue pikmin the act of beating it to death I guess he well and truly won this round.

I have tried hard to get good Blinnow shots, but this one puts my best effort to shame. Mine at least ends happier for the blue guys.

Suwu5fY.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there any way to find your Nintendo Network ID online? No way I remember what mine is offhand, I'm nowhere near my Wii U, and all Nintendo Help is telling me to do is check my WIi U. lame.

Top Bottom