• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Sequel Announced [Japanese arcade-only update for now]

Lunar15

Interesting, both stages are glitching out as if they're part of the Midnight Channel. Possible confirmation of where the story takes place at least.

Yeah I just noticed the TV glitches too. I guess it is in the Midnight Channel... but also the dark hour?

Sophia

Yeah I just noticed the TV glitches too. I guess it is in the Midnight Channel... but also the dark hour?

Tartarus and the Dark Hour were most likely recreated in the Midnight Channel.... and from the looks of it, on top of the fake school from where the events of the first game took place.

Lunar15

Tartarus and the Dark Hour were most likely recreated in the Midnight Channel.... and from the looks of it, on top of the fake school from where the events of the first game took place.

Yeah, it looks like Yasogami is stacked on itself, much like Tartarus.

However, I think there's also a screenshot of a stage that is the entrance to Gekkoukan.

Sophia

Um... are the stages wider? Or am I misremembering?

They do appear to be slightly wider, but I can't tell for sure without seeing one of the original stages.

Yeah, it looks like Yasogami is stacked on itself, much like Tartarus.

However, I think there's also a screenshot of a stage that is the entrance to Gekkoukan.

If it exists, I have not seen the Gekkoukan stage yet. There is however the Yasogami entrance with Tartarus in the background.

That Home Run SP Skill of Junpei's looks awful.
How in the world are you supposed to hit anybody with that.

They've already shown how you can combo into it, and it looks like hitting the sweet spot isn't that hard either.

I just really want to see his Instant Kill at this point.

Sophia

No, there's another one that looks like Gekkoukan specifically. I'm looking for it right now.

Right, I'm not saying the Gekkoukan stage doesn't exist. Merely that the screenshots that he linked are of that of Tartarus. Well, Tartarus and that weird background that shows up when you do a special. >_>;

Lunar15

Right, I'm not saying the Gekkoukan stage doesn't exist. Merely that the screenshots that he linked are of that of Tartarus. Well, Tartarus and that weird background that shows up when you do a special. >_>;

Hmm, I dunno. Can't find it, Maybe I imagined it, or maybe I'm mixing it up with the Yasogami stage.

For clarity's sake: I thought I saw the courtyard of Gekkoukan. But I think what I'm seeing is another angle of the Yasogami/Tartarus stage.

Scratch

Maybe it's just the perspective, but it seems that her Garu and Zio attacks occupy much more area. Bufu hits twice too?

It's an awakening perk from what I hear. Basically Garu and zio cover 90% of the screen when she's awoken. I think bufu hitting twice is a straight up change though

Scratch

Yukiko vs Liz

you can see the new yukiko autocombo, as well as a new yolo charge that konohana sakuya has.

M9N7mIO.jpg

dear god.

Ganondorfo

Wow I never expected a sequel to that game. I thought they would first make a Persona 5 before this one. Yeah more fightinggames.

Yukiko vs Liz

you can see the new yukiko autocombo, as well as a new yolo charge that konohana sakuya has.

I'm loving Yukiko's new moves. I noticed her new max fire lv is 9 now and SP fire boost boosts 3 lv's instead of 2. So now she can get to max fire lv in 3 SP charges for 75 meter instead of 4 for 100 meter. Maybe fire boost will be worth the time and meter to charge now.

R-Action:
Chou Ippon Ashi Dahou (Some baseball style of batting)

Skills:
Chou Dai Kaiten Dahou
Chou Push Punt
Zenryoku Sliding
Deathbound

SP Skills
Flaming Forecast Homerun
Reversal (Something) Homerun
Victory Cry (this is the skill that activates when he gets 10 points)

Awakening Skills
Chou Kuukan Dahou

Cyclone meter helps him get in, imo. Plus in his moveset, he even has armor moves. Watching players like Kubo and Moke, and playing Akihiko players here like Jona, I really think his neutral game isn't all that bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

I honestly feel like it's more of a case like BBCT where everyone is stupidly strong, just the top tiers even way more so. I'm expecting everyone to get toned down (stuff like Yosuke's crazy gliding mobility)

I never got around to responding, but now I have time :D

Cyclone meter does help a lot, but you have to get in first in order to make it threatening. Akihiko lacks effective ways to get in on his opponent. When he does get in, most of your pressure will not be threatening without either 25 SP or a B Hook. B Hook has enough startup for you to be jabbed out of it or grabbed if they want to do that, and A Hook doesn't give you enough advantage to do anything other than reset the situation to neutral (and it's even worse if they can IB it). Sweep also is punishable when IB'd and even when it's not at most cyclone levels. Another thing is the fact that you can grab SB duck at all times during an Aki's pressure (you have to see it coming, but you can still do this if you make good enough reads). This makes it a little less threatening at higher levels, but it's still a very good option to go for at any point because of how instantaneous the cross through is. Getting a fatal from its followups also makes you think twice about trying to grab SB Duck too late.

I'd still say his oki/mixup is decent since he can duck/weave after everything which makes conditioning your opponent very important. In no way was I saying that he's not a good character. I just wanted to point out that his oki/mixup really isn't as good as you think it is.

Kikujiro

Maybe I'm some kind of blinded fanboy, but I don't know how arcsys manages to release updates to their games and not upset me in the process. This is some of the best news I've heard in a while. Definitely excited for Takeba and Junpei, though part of me is hoping they add some others...Ken and Koromaru will do, if I can't get the P3MC (still not used to the new name for him so I refuse to use it)

Because you actually play the games.
The only people against fighting games updates are those who don't play them, they just bitch for the sake of bitchin' or because they buy games for collection. On the other hand a fighting game update should always offer a DLC option, paying 40$ or more for every update is not the way to go.

kirblar

Because you actually play the games.
The only people against fighting games updates are those who don't play them, they just bitch for the sake of bitchin' or because they buy games for collection. On the other hand a fighting game update should always offer a DLC option, paying 40$ or more for every update is not the way to go.
$40 for an expansion is fine...if there's enough content.

alstein

This will be worth $40. Glad I got this info before TFC, because i was considering hanging up my PS3 due to Skullgirls/KOF. Now I'll keep it around just for Persona when it comes out. (unless they do a PC version)

I'm more hype for this game than I am Xrd.

Sophia

Why would an Aigis player want double Megido gone?

Because it made her unnecessarily complex to play. Not all of us are on your level, or even my level. Lots of people still have issues landing just that first Megido Combo. :p

Plus, it looks like they strengthened her non-Origa game.

FluxWaveZ

Because it made her unnecessarily complex to play. Not all of us are on your level, or even my level. Lots of people still have issues landing just that first Megido Combo. :p

Plus, it looks like they strengthened her non-Origa game.

Hm, well every character will always have combos that are difficult to perform for players of a lower skill level, so this kind of confuses me. I'm just glad because it means Aigis' damage output has been significantly reduced.

I don't know, it didn't seem like the game built any sort of a relationship between them unless you made the game do it whereas Aigis' relationship was built regardless. Also Lovers Persona doesn't seem to mean anything in the context of the games.

Elizabeth seems like a decent candidate for canon love interest, this is why I questioned Yukari but not your other post.

Yeah it's not so much that I think Aigis is the canon love interest (Although I think she has the strongest argument in her favor, with Elizabeth being a close second) or that I think there even necessarily is one. It's more that I don't really get why people would think it's Yukari as the game doesn't seem to suggest it at all unless you do her social link.
The game pushes her on to you throughout its entirety, I find it very hard to ignore or deny. She's the first person you meet, she guides you to the school, people start thinking you're together, she's there when you awaken your persona to save her, she's the first person to see you in the hospital, you and her get forced into being paired up to look for the gym keys, you get trapped in the hotel room with her, you get forced into comforting after finding out about her dad. This is all before Aigis is even introduced. All of Elizabeth's dates were optional amd part of FES and so was Aigis' social link. Aigis' relationship in vanilla amounted to just following you around not knowing why until the November event.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The game pushes her on to you throughout its entirety, I find it very hard to ignore or deny. She's the first person you meet, she guides you to the school, people start thinking you're together, she's there when you awaken your persona to save her, she's the first person to see you in the hospital, you and her get forced into being paired up to look for the gym keys, you get trapped in the hotel room with her, you get forced into comforting after finding out about her dad. This is all before Aigis is even introduced. All of Elizabeth's dates were optional amd part of FES and so was Aigis' social link. Aigis' relationship in vanilla amounted to just following you around not knowing why until the November event.

Agreed, its pretty blatant. How she behaves in The Answer just adds to it.

Top Bottom