• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC: Nintendo releasing "2 Dees". Plays same games as "3 Dees". Cuts price of "Wii"

And Nintendo is lowering the price of its Wii console as well.

... wow

2Dees I can.. kinda.. understand I guess. The branding on Wii versus WiiU still seems to be an issue though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Lower quality graphics?" Wha?

Honestly, I believe Nintendo is responsible for most of their marketing confusion, but sometimes it seems like you need to spell out every minute detail to the media or they're going to screw it up.

Fey

Banned
wut

the name being confusing is one thing, but seeing "DS" and thinking that's pronounced "Dees" ...

Branduil

Most people will assume that less dimensions=worse graphics.

But as long as people understand it plays all 3DS games Nintendo probably won't mind too much.

sakipon

"Lower quality graphics?" Wha?

Honestly, I believe Nintendo is responsible for most of their marketing confusion, but sometimes it seems like you need to spell out every minute detail to the media or they're going to screw it up.

We need real life hand holding.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think this is actually a mistake by ABC. Yahoo is just rehosting.

Mainstream media is stupid. Gets facts wrong. News at 11.

J-Tier

Well, that's proof of the name being part of the issue.

But seriously...this is Tech Bytes, it implies that they are experts on tech. Jeez.

DaBoss

I never realized that anyone would pronounce it other than 3-D-S. My god lol.

The real story is the Wii U being called a Wii.

wrowa

At the gamescom awards there's no category for Wii U games. Instead, Wii U games are being counted as Wii games. Yes, seriously.

18-Volt

This reminds me of a British newspaper (don't remember which one) wrote about N64 back in the day: "It's Super Nintendo 64, plays all Super Nintendo games but 64 times faster and better"

qko

They have had the DS brand name since 2005, and somehow it's Nintendo's fault this presenter mispronounces it in 2013. This one isn't Nintendo's fault, she'd probably pronounce PS4 as "PSSSSST4"

~ZIO~

Neo Member
I actually find it extremely ignorant of a news publisher, of all people, to use the term "graphics" to describe visual presentation. It just sounds so uneducated and like they don't care to inform themselves of this industry at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
At the gamescom awards there's no category for Wii U games. Instead, Wii U games are being counted as Wii games. Yes, seriously.

Probably because there's not enough good Wii or Wii U games by themselves to garner their own categories.

mclem

In (a very loose) defense of the "Wii console price cut", I could imagine they're viewing it with the same terms as someone might say "Playstation console price cut" or "Xbox console price cut" - in both cases implicitly referring to the current model of each brand, rather than necessarily implying the first iteration of each system.

Regiruler

People are taking Yahoo news seriously?

Washington Post and CNN got it right so I think the mainstream media understands.

Top Bottom