• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Playstation 4 is playable at Montreal Comiccon right now

PFD

Just came back from the first day of ComicCon. This year's ComicCon is sponsored by Playstation, and they have a huge Sony booth. There's six PS4s playing the following titles:

• Assassin's Creed IV
  • Knack
  • Driveclub (on two stations)
  • Octodad
  • Tiny Brains (4 players/controllers)
You can also play Gran Turismo 6 and Beyond: Two Souls on PS3.

Impressions on pre-release builds:

The cars and lighting in GT6 look amazing, but the environment, especially when the car slows down, is shit. The trees looked freakin 2D, and there were weird cross-hatching patterns on the bushes.

Knack looks awesome, but has framerate issues.

Driveclub has very impressive and detailed cars, foliage, shadows, but the lighting looked unrealistic. It looks unfinished.

Beyond looks great, similar quality to the footage released so far.

Assassin's creed looks assassin's creed.

So, yeah. If you're in Montreal and wanna check out the PS4, go to ComicCon! Beware though, there's a huge line for anything but the indie games.

edit:
They also give you a free t-shirt after trying out a PS4

533JBB6.jpg

Interesting about DC lighting usually a lot of people complain about the other things and like the lighting... I wonder how old the build is

FluxWaveZ

Forgot this was happening already. I live in Montreal, but I don't think I'll bother going there just to wait in 1-2 long lines.

AngryBird

Banned
Impressions on pre-release builds:

The cars and lighting in GT6 look amazing, but the environment, especially when the car slows down, is shit. The trees looked freakin 2D, and there were weird cross-hatching patterns on the bushes.

Knack looks awesome, but has framerate issues.

Driveclub has very impressive and detailed cars, foliage, shadows, but the lighting looked unrealistic. It looks unfinished.

Beyond looks great, similar quality to the footage released so far.

Assassin's creed looks assassin's creed.

So, yeah. If you're in Montreal and wanna check out the PS4, go to ComicCon! Beware though, there's a huge line for anything but the indie games.
lolol3.gif

Banderas seems to disagree

MDSLKTR

Going tomorrow. How long were the lines? I almost don't want to experience the first time holding a controller at a convention instead of home. But I probably will lol

Ricker

100 bucks to meet and talk with Felicia Day hehe...I decided at the last minute I could go today but it's sold out...I might go take a peek outside anyway since I have to go downtown later today...is it worth it guys ?(I read and saw on the M.NET show that the line to play the PS4 is like 1-2 hours).

Dramos

Wait, Montréal has a ComicCon event going on this weekend? Is it the same ComicCon or is it Montreal's take?

Ricker

Wait, Montréal has a ComicCon event going on this weekend? Is it the same ComicCon or is it Montreal's take?

It's like all the other big Comicon yeah,lots of special guests and all,a big PS4 area this year etc etc...they had 45,000 people last year in 2 and a half day and close to 50k this weekend...link is in the OP =),still a few tickets left for tomorrow but I cant attend then.

MDSLKTR

So I touched the controller, had to play some terrible coop game but it was the fastest line. Absolutely worthy of the praise. The sticks are so so good, Dpad is clicky like the vita but different, triggers just melt in your grip, L1/R1 buttons are also improved and I loved how easily accessible the touchpad was (infamous touch controls are gonna be so fun). I wonder if there will be an fps that uses the touchpad instead of the right stick as a control option, it's definitely viable.

Drive club was the same demo as gamescon, looked really good in person. Knack was decent. Couldn't see much of AC4. Beyond was amaze balls though, the faces and expression are next gen territory, could surpass LoU as best looking game on the ps3.

So I touched the controller, had to play some terrible coop game but it was the fastest line. Absolutely worthy of the praise. The sticks are so so good, Dpad is clicky like the vita but different, triggers just melt in your grip, L1/R1 buttons are also improved and I loved how easily accessible the touchpad was (infamous touch controls are gonna be so fun). I wonder if there will be an fps that uses the touchpad instead of the right stick as a control option, it's definitely viable.

................................ banderas.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What does this mean? Is it as good as the Vita's DPAD?

Also are the other buttons just as snappy/clicky? The DS3 buttons feel kind of smushy.
I want to know this as well. I'm hoping the move from analogue to digital buttons makes the face buttons feel a bit clickier as well.

clem84

Gold Member
P1020799_zps65d34696.jpg

P1020800_zps678b6067.jpg

03a76c8b-4333-493a-b49a-9c2138a13a57_zpsbae4cd0a.jpg

I just got back from today's show and I got to play PS4. There was a long ass line of about 1 1/2 hour to play. Most people wanted to play Assassin's Creed 4 but I opted to play Driveclub.

I had seen footage of the game online prior to trying it and for some reason I didn't get a next-gen "feel" from the video but let me tell you, actually playing it makes a huge difference. No real surprise here but yeah this is the best looking racer I've ever seen. The trees in the background and the mountains and the detail on the road. There is so much going on on screen. The game controls beautifully too. This game is on my radar. When I'll eventually get a PS4, there's a good chance I'll get this.

But you wanna know the best part of my PS4 experience? The controller. To me this is a next gen controller. Prior to this, to me the most comfortable controller ever produced was the Gamecube's. Well, we have a new winner. The ergonomics are just about perfect. The 2 handles fit really nicely in your hands. The 2 sticks grip really well and move really well too. Everything else is positioned perfectly. The triggers are a step up from the PS3's. The Dpad feels really good and yes it is a bit clicky. One thing that really surprised me... The touchpad. This has probably been said before but I didn't ear about it. The touchpad "clicks". It's like a giant button. The "touch" functionality and the clicking weren't used in Driveclub but I have no doubt it's going to be used in many games. I've been playing games for 30+ years and let me tell you, Sony did it good with the PS4 controller. I'm going back tomorrow. Maybe I'll play AC4 if the line isn't too long.

P1020799_zps65d34696.jpg

P1020800_zps678b6067.jpg

03a76c8b-4333-493a-b49a-9c2138a13a57_zpsbae4cd0a.jpg

I just got back from today's show and I got to play PS4. There was a long ass line of about 1 1/2 hour to play. Most people wanted to play Assassin's Creed 4 but I opted to play Driveclub.

I had seen footage of the game online prior to trying it and for some reason I didn't get a next-gen "feel" from the video but let me tell you, actually playing it makes a huge difference. No real surprise here but yeah this is the best looking racer I've ever seen. The trees in the background and the mountains and the detail on the road. There is so much going on on screen. The game controls beautifully too. This game is on my radar. When I'll eventually get a PS4, there's a good chance I'll get this.

But you wanna know the best part of my PS4 experience? The controller. To me this is a next gen controller. Prior to this, to me the most comfortable controller ever produced was the Gamecube's. Well, we have a new winner. The ergonomics are just about perfect. The 2 handles fit really nicely in your hands. The 2 sticks grip really well and move really well too. Everything else is positioned perfectly. The triggers are a step up from the PS3's. The Dpad feels really good and yes it is a bit clicky. One thing that really surprised me... The touchpad. This has probably been said before but I didn't ear about it. The touchpad "clicks". It's like a giant button. The "touch" functionality and the clicking weren't used in Driveclub but I have no doubt it's going to be used in many games. I've been playing games for 30+ years and let me tell you, Sony did it good with the PS4 controller. I'm going back tomorrow. Maybe I'll play AC4 if the line isn't too long.

Good lord...November 15 better come quick ha.

shuri

Banned
clem84, how the hell did you get pics of that area with nobody around except for two dudes? i was at the show all day and that specific area was flooded with people during the entire day. It was like Dead Rising bad.

You were there in the morning before the show opened even to the vip/deluxe tickets with the special 'earlier entry' time?

Please explain.

hwy_61

Banned

Not a fan of the 360 controller, huh?

clem84

Gold Member
clem84, how the hell did you get pics of that area with nobody around except for two dudes? i was at the show all day and that specific area was flooded with people during the entire day. It was like Dead Rising bad.

You were there in the morning before the show opened even to the vip/deluxe tickets with the special 'earlier entry' time?

Please explain.

Well I don't know. I didn't have a VIP ticket and those pics were taken late in the afternoon. Maybe they realized that it was too chaotic with too many people around the play area and pushed everyone back so they could have more control over who has played and who's still waiting? No idea. It was like that when I got there.

PFD

So I touched the controller, had to play some terrible coop game but it was the fastest line.

You should've played Octodad. It had a very fast line.

And I agree with the other comments on the controller. I never liked the previous play station controllers, but this one feels great and deserves all the praise.

BioWare had a large booth as well (and several panels). I tried to get some info from the devs about the next Mass Effect, but they never budged. They all just smiled and told me to expect to hear something soon.

clem84

Gold Member
Not a fan of the 360 controller, huh?

I like the 360 controller. It has some things over the Gamecube's. Better button shape and placement and better shoulder buttons. But if we're strickly talking about ergonomics, I think the Cube controller is a tad better.

Top Bottom