• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

zroid

Banned
Looks like Japanese are trading in this game in large numbers, judging by amazon.co.jp only offering 454 yen ($4.50) trade-in value for it today:

uvWpiLd.jpg

I have never seen such a low trade-in value for a game upon release. For reference, most games that are in demand are offered for trade-in value up to or even over their MSRP in the first week of release, unless there are mass trade-ins. Even today, popular Nintendo 3DS games command trade-in values upwards of 2000 yen, months or even years after their release.

Could this be a sign that the used market will be flooded this week, which might in turn affect sales of new copies?

interesting...

Kouriozan

But it's still ranked first on Amazon.jp, hmm...
Maybe they don't want you to sell your copy (or want maximum profit :lol) or Capcom just overshipped?
Guess we'll find out soon.

Foshy

Looks like Japanese are trading in this game in large numbers, judging by amazon.co.jp only offering 454 yen ($4.50) trade-in value for it today:

uvWpiLd.jpg

I have never seen such a low trade-in value for a game upon release. For reference, most games that are in demand are offered for trade-in value up to or even over their MSRP in the first week of release, unless there are mass trade-ins. Even today, popular Nintendo 3DS games command trade-in values upwards of 2000 yen, months or even years after their release.

Could this be a sign that the used market will be flooded this week, which might in turn affect sales of new copies?
is there some hidden microtransaction model that was only discovered after release, like JoJo? lol

Road

The Amazon thing must be some automatic pricing based on demand and supply. They must have been flooded with used copies, which is easy to happen to a game selling in the millions, not necessarily because people hate the game, but there really isn't anyone buying used copies of MH4 on Amazon right now.

What does this mean!!!!

It means MH4 was the best selling game on Comgnet stores this past week.

MH4 is also already In the Comgnet top 20 used games of past week at no. 13. It's just in another order of magnitude.

Prelude.

From what I can tell they're not particularly happy about the controls and the graphics.
It also seems a bit buggy with freezes, crashes and multiplayer issues.

Google translate gave me this sentence that seems to sums it up pretty well:
Feeling that you wish to play is canceled.

From what I can tell they're not particularly happy about the controls and the graphics.
It also seems a bit buggy with freezes, crashes and multiplayer issues.

Google translate gave me this sentence that seems to sums it up pretty well:

But are these legit complaints or trolls?

As far as I know, Nintendo has never given any Q3-specific forecasts - only the full year. So they want the revenues/profits for the full year, regardless of where it comes from. As far as actual comments, I think Iwata even mentioned something about momentum starting with Pikmin 3 and building from there with more regular releases following that.

The potential "advantage" to booking the revenue in Q2 would depend upon when they want to lower their FY guidance. If they choose to lower their FY guidance with their half-year report, then they may want their Q2 results to be stronger to have some good news to point to in order to help offset the bad guidance moving forward. If they choose to wait until after Q3 to adjust guidance, then they'd rather have that revenue booked in Q3. But there's a downward revision coming.

But again - I'm not saying that it will happen. I was just pointing out that it might.

Agreed. Personally I'm of the opinion that we'll see a downward FY guidance revision coincide with Q3 as Nintendo can gauge the success of their holiday push.

watershed

Banned
Don't games get trolled regularly on amazon? I remember there being a thing about people giving DQIX 1 star on the day it came out because of that fairy character.

I would assume mostly trolls.

The controls are the same as they've always been, and visually the game isn't all that different from other releases save for the new art style and use of color.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)[/U][/B]

[B]01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 4358pt[/B]
[B]02. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election (First Press Limited Edition) – 146pt[/B]
03. [PS3] Splinter Cell: Blacklist – 30pt
[B]04. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue – 20pt[/B]
05. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 20pt
06. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 18pt
07. [PS3] Puppeteer – 17pt
08. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 16pt
09. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 16pt
10. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary – 12pt
11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 12pt
[B]12. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue (Limited Edition) – 11pt[/B]
13. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 11pt
14. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Dubbed (Bargain Edition) – 10pt
[B]15. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election – 10pt[/B]
16. [3DS] Brain Age: Concentration Training – 10pt
17. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate – 9pt
18. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 9pt
19. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 8pt
20. [3DS] Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone – 8pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 10
PS3 - 6
PSP - 3
PSV - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Also, sorry for the lateness. The Wifi on my plane cutout...just came back on.

Where is Jojo?

Code:
[B][U]Tsutaya Software Sales Rankings: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)	Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 37, 2013 (Sep 09 - Sep 15)[/U][/B]

[b]01./NEW [3DS] Monster Hunter 4[/b]						[B]01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 4358pt[/B]
[b]02./NEW [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election (First Press Limited Edition)[/b]	[B]02. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election (First Press Limited Edition) – 146pt[/B]
03./01. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle			03. [PS3] Splinter Cell: Blacklist – 30pt
04./03. [PS3] Splinter Cell: Blacklist					[B]04. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue – 20pt[/B]
[b]05./NEW [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election[/b]					05. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 20pt
[b]06./NEW [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue[/b]				06. [3DS] Youkai Watch – 18pt
07./10. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life			07. [PS3] Puppeteer – 17pt
08./11. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team					08. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life – 16pt
09./05. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary					09. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon – 16pt
10./08. [PS3] Puppeteer							10. [PSV] Killzone: Mercenary – 12pt
11./06. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey Ace					11. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 12pt
12./04. [PSP] Uta no Prince-Sama: Music 2				[B]12. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue (Limited Edition) – 11pt[/B]
13./13. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life				13. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 11pt
14./02. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn			14. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Dubbed (Bargain Edition) – 10pt
15./07. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate					[B]15. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election – 10pt[/B]
16./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf 				16. [3DS] Brain Age: Concentration Training – 10pt
17./12. [3DS] Youkai Watch						17. [PS3] Dead or Alive 5: Ultimate – 9pt
18./09. [PS3] Lost Planet 3						18. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! – 9pt
19./19. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed (Bargain Edition)	19. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team – 8pt
20./21. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon				20. [3DS] Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone – 8pt
[B]* New releases are in bold						* 1 pt = 1 sale	
PS3 - 9									3DS - 10
3DS - 7									PS3 - 6
PSV - 2									PSP - 3
PSP - 2									PSV - 1[/B]

[b][U]New releases not present in either Top 20:[/U]

[PS3] Air Conflicts: Vietnam
[PS3] Max Payne 3 (Rockstar Classics)

[360] Air Conflicts: Vietnam[/b]

2013 Tsutaya + Comgnet Weekly Sales Archive

Delio

uvWpiLd.jpg

So what does this mean? MH may not reach any heights or is there nothing to worry about?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Of course there's trolls it'd more strange to assume there wasn't. The question is simply the degree and whether the majority of the reports are trolls or are simply the general sentiment.

Serenity

Well, one of the reviews mentions liking MHP3rds controls and then complains later about no right stick which the PSP didn't have either.

I don't see the problem with what he is saying. He may have liked the controls in the past but now there is a handheld with a right stick so he would prefer that.

muu

user reception has been overwhelmingly positive. Addition of the vertical element has been received very well as opposed to water in Tri that was a mixed bag for most.

The low tradein is most likely a way for Amazon to protect itself IN CASE OF a repeat of a JoJo. They must have gotten burnt by many people locking in a high trade-in price for a game that would be difficult to resell. With a game with the volume of MH4, there's a serious amount of money that could be lost if something went wrong.

user reception has been overwhelmingly positive. Addition of the vertical element has been received very well as opposed to water in Tri that was a mixed bag for most.

The low tradein is most likely a way for Amazon to protect itself IN CASE OF a repeat of a JoJo. They must have gotten burnt by many people locking in a high trade-in price for a game that would be difficult to resell. With a game with the volume of MH4, there's a serious amount of money that could be lost if something went wrong.

Mm, this makes sense.

watershed

Banned
We'll know how it's being received in the weekly sales report, any Capcom PR, and how long it's legs are in the coming weeks.

Lexxism

So it's too early for any conclusions. Far as I can tell Amazon is the only retailer with such a low tiv. Isn't it possible it's a glitch?

Well, we don't really know the exact reason behind the low tiv but this guy's post make sense..

Bruno MB

Uhm, what's the deal with Yokai Watch anyway? It hasn't left the Top 10 since release and tripled its FW and as far as I am aware the anime isn't out yet. Was it overstocked? Aggressive price slashes? Post-release marketing? Good word of mouth?

It wasn't overstocked, initial shipment was practically sold in its third week. Youkai Watch has constantly been restocked so the demand is still high.

Can anyone actually in Japan comment? The reviews could be trolls, but the trade in value is insanely low.

It was sold out at two of three stores I went to on Saturday, and at the Aeon mall I went to Sunday. The guy I know who works at Geo said they had been turning away people since 3PM in Saturday, but they're a new store that opened in March and have never had a bigger launch day for a game. It's hard to judge, but I don't have any reason to believe it's anything ore than a few trolls reviewing low.

Elfteiroh

It wasn't overstocked, initial shipment was practically sold in its third week. Youkai Watch has constantly been restocked so the demand is still high.

So it just have very good legs. Good. I really hope this get localized! I would love to play this. :p

extralite

Since the Amazon review stars average is so low for MH4 I thought I'd compare that with the reviews on eShop. Only people who bough a copy, retail or DD, can rate there (as opposed to Amazon).

It currently has an average of a full 5 stars with 3020 votes.
2884 gave 5 stars.
82 gave 4 stars.
19 gave 3 stars.
8 gave 2 stars.
And 27 gave 1 star.

Still at #3 (#4 with VC and DSiWare) in the all-time charts. Looks like SMB is proving to be the first wall MH4 has to overcome.

Top Bottom