• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: PlayStation 4 will work with Xbox One's HDMI pass-through port

ShapeGSX

Also, this is basically their marquee feature. If they didn't get it right, shit goes wrong, real fast. Are we really saying they screwed it up? Gaming cap cards provide this exact feature with a lag-free experience, otherwise FGC people wouldn't fucking touch it. And you can do whatever the hell you want to the feed with those in Wirecast and such.

Plugging a DVR into the Xbox One is a marquee feature. You don't really care about lag on a DVR. They can delay the audio to match the video. You don't count on millisecond accuracy between your remote control and your DVR.

Plugging a game console into the HDMI input port is not a marquee feature.

Plugging a DVR into the Xbox One is a marquee feature. You don't really care about lag on a DVR. They can delay the audio to match the video. You don't count on millisecond accuracy between your remote control and your DVR.

Plugging a game console into the HDMI input port is not a marquee feature.

I think we should just wait for Penello or release to talk about this stuff. I'm not buying what you're selling me, and vice versa. Not worth going in circles.

dankir

So technically if you're running out HDMI ports and have both systems this is a solution? the One has to be on at the same time as the PS4 though right?

Kibbles

So I can still party chat with all my friends who are on Xbox still while I play some new hotness on the PS4? Sweet.

And you'd want to do that because....?

Because Xbox will be my primary platform, it's going to be great getting xbox notifications and party invites while I'm playing PS4 games and I can just instantly switch over.

I'm actually going to be hooking my HDMI switch into the X1. That way I can have PS4, WiiU and cable box all through the Xbox. It's going to be awesome if it works.

There should be one of these articles for every HDMI device that you can plug into Xbox One.

I'd also like to hear about every single device I can plug into the electrical outlet on my alarm clock, because that's equally amazing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I just want to make sure I understand 100%. So the XB1 streams the image of PS4 gameplay similar to how a PSP streams PS3 gameplay?

If this is the case, what are some practical uses of this feature aside from playing PS4 games on an Xbox controller?

Not exactly, broseph. Your Xbox One controller isn't going to work on PS4 games for obvious reasons.

I'm very tired, sitting in a lounge getting ready to head back to Seattle.

I'll get back with a more detailed story, but long story short it won't be a great experience, and I indicated as much in the interview which wasn't included. HDMI latency is fine for video feeds, but not great interactive.

Its also funny to me that this was basically a quick question I was asked after a UI demo, which I answered, but its written like I made a big deal about it...

What wattage is the Xbox One rated at?

200 Watts, 250?

Just so you can change a tiny bit faster?

You still have to switch controllers

I don't get why anyone would seriously consider this personally

I'll get back with a more detailed story, but long story short it won't be a great experience, and I indicated as much in the interview which wasn't included. HDMI latency is fine for video feeds, but not great interactive.

Its also funny to me that this was basically a quick question I was asked after a UI demo, which I answered, but its written like I made a big deal about it...

Good to hear from you albert

Wonder what the lag is from then

Thought it was just a pass through but I guess it requires software too?

I'm dying to know more about this! I'd like to know if this (and voice commands)will work with my reciever,

Could we create an infinite loop?

You would need a couple splitters, but probably

Devices pass their names through HDMI.
You'll most likely be able to just say "play Playstation 4"
This. Assuming the Kinect APIs are as easy as they are (which has been hinted at in the past), it would probably be trivial to have the HDMIs passed device name get inserted into the command thats needed for Voice Commands to work. Hell, they already do it with the Xbox 360s dashboard so that people can select any of the dynamic items on the dashboard through voice.

DrZeus

This whole idea of using the XB1 has a central hub for other devices is half interesting and half redundant. I would not like to have the system on all the time (even in a low powered state) to run devices through it when I could just use them standard without the snap feature. I am excited for launch though. People plugging up their other consoles and PCs to this thing should yield some fun results.

whome0

"The confirmation from Microsoft that the Xbox One will not block the PlayStation 4's video signal comes shortly after Sony revealed that it will not prevent users from capturing video from the PlayStation 4's HDMI port."

Free-to-air dvb channels are fine I see no problem mixing and snapping them to a side panel. But we have drm protected dvb-t2/c/c2 broadcast sources. Do videofeed mixing support?
  • CI+ paired Conax or VIAccess drm pay view channel, goes through fine and snapping?
  • DVB dvr can playback drm protected pay view channel recording files, drm handshake is accepted by all parties?
  • Input source is 1080/30p or 60p, 1080p/24p (bluray player say ps3)?
  • Do Dolby-AC3 audio input goes through fine and any other audio format?
  • Do XboxOne can down- and upscale any input format to Xbox output format without restrictions?
  • AV amplifier in use. What they recommend, is it TV <- (hdmi) <- AV amp <- (hdmi) <- XboxOne <- (hdmi) <- 2nd hdmi device?
  • If I do TV <- (hdmi) <- XboxOne <- (hdmi) <- AV amp <- (hdmi) <- 2nd..nth hdmi device? Does it still work? Do TV ARC(audio return channel) works back through Xbox to AV amplifier?
  • Do XboxOne let passthrough signal without intervention if Xbone was in low power standby? Or must it always be fully power on before 2nd hdmi device goes to TV?
  • If I don't want to use Kinect controls, do cec-hdmi commands submitted by TV remote controller goes back and fort even to the last device in line?

Hard fact questions and I don't think anyone has asked about them.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Does this pass-through work without Xbone being on? Because otherwise, why would anyone do this? To play PS4 this way, you'll have to run your TV, your Xbone and your PS4, instead of just two of these devices - the amount of power this wastes...

/thread...

Freki

So connecting a 360 into Xbox one as some kind of Poor man's BC is out of the question as well :-(

Thanks for the clarification, Albert.

To be honest, I don't see the use for this thing then. An already obscure feature is basically even more obscure, when it comes down to it.

And there you go.

I'm honestly surprised your post wasn't 1.5 minutes after Penello's. :p Congratulations on being right, the next gen console you're buying is...worse? Which would you have preferred, me or you being right?

At that rate, why even label it as a passthrough? The tech is clearly there. Know why? Cause if it wasn't, FGC wouldn't use it for streams and such. And yet here we are. Sad days.

And all I want to do is play Killer Instinct while I play Killer Instinct :p

Edit for fun:

Man, MS can't win with PR. Not even saying you're being unreasonable Freki, since their own solution to BC was hooking up a 360 through HMDI pass-through. It's just... damn, they can't win.

Wait...this too. What the hell?

KoopaTheCasual

So connecting a 360 into Xbox one as some kind of Poor man's BC is out of the question as well :-(

Man, MS can't win with PR. Not even saying you're being unreasonable Freki, since their own solution to BC was hooking up a 360 through HDMI pass-through. It's just... damn, they can't win.

Wait...this too. What the hell?

What do you mean? When asked about BC, they said you can just hook up a 360 through HDMI, but just being helpful and honest, Albert said latency is an issue, which kinda goes against the original statement. It's just a crappy PR situation to be in.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Cheers for clearing this up Albert.

I would assume the extra latency is likely due to overlays and processing in the XB1.

Looking forward to any extra details you can drop.

mekes

I'm not getting the Xbone but every time they talk about the HDMI-in, I just think I'd rather save on my electricity bill...

Sounds like a manipulative way of stealing some spot light from the ps quadruple.

Why would a senior director of product management and planning be name dropping the competition's software like that...?

To create a perception that those beautiful graphics that come with Killzone SF are possible due to the Xbox One or some shit...?

I don't get it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sounds like a manipulative way of stealing some spot light from the ps quadruple.

Why would a senior director of product management and planning be name dropping the competition's software like that...?

To create a perception that those beautiful graphics that come with Killzone SF are possible due to the Xbox One or some shit...?

I don't get it.
Just a way for people to justify buying the xbox one as well as the ps4.

"Hey buy this console too because you can use it as a passthru!!"

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Honestly this must be really convenient for multivendor owners. But why would you want two machines sucking up energy on at the same time when they essentially do the same things I'm not sure.

Caayn

Thanks for clearing things up in here. Does this mean that the Xbox One won't be able to passthrough a HDMI signal when it's in stand-by/turned off?

ShapeGSX

Thanks for the clarification, Albert.

To be honest, I don't see the use for this thing then. An already obscure feature is basically even more obscure, when it comes down to it.

I'm honestly surprised your post wasn't 1.5 minutes after Penello's. :p Congratulations on being right, the next gen console you're buying is...worse? Which would you have preferred, me or you being right?
It's not worse. It's the same as it was before. I just understood what it meant, and I knew it meant there would be some amount of lag.

I'm going to use it for it's intended purpose, which is for my DVR. Lag will make no difference for its intended purpose. So Albert's post confirming what I already knew makes no difference to me.

It's not worse. It's the same as it was before. I just understood what it meant, and I knew it meant there would be some amount of lag.

I'm going to use it for it's intended purpose, which is for my DVR. Lag will make no difference for its intended purpose. So Albert's post confirming what I already knew makes no difference to me.

No, it's worse. A passthrough that's got significant lag to it? What sort of madness is that? Why even call it a passthrough at that rate?

You're using it for your DVR? Fantastic. What about everything else? You're going to tell me the XBox One apparently isn't powerful enough to be able to scale a video feed without significant lag, despite there being multiple cap cards/devices that allow you to do this with a computer without issue? Hauppauge? Avermedia? And Microsoft can't swing it?

Why would I buy this then? If it's screwed up this bad, why didn't they just make it a cable box/DVR on its own, like they clearly wanted to? CableCARD slot, peace?

Cool with the clarification and all, but no. It's bad. It astounds me that this is the case. It's useless now.

Alx

I don't get it.

Because he was specifically asked if his console would support his competitor's output ?

Caayn

No, it's worse. A passthrough that's got significant lag to it? What sort of madness is that? Why even call it a passthrough at that rate?

You're using it for your DVR? Fantastic. What about everything else? You're going to tell me the XBox One apparently isn't powerful enough to be able to scale a video feed without significant lag, despite there being multiple cap cards/devices that allow you to do this with a computer without issue? Hauppauge? Avermedia? And Microsoft can't swing it?

Why would I buy this then? If it's screwed up this bad, why didn't they just make it a cable box/DVR on its own, like they clearly wanted to? CableCARD slot, peace?

Cool with the clarification and all, but no. It's bad. It astounds me that this is the case. It's useless now.
So you want to reserve more power for the passthrough? Meaning that other things, which most likely will require a lower latency, will have to suffer in favor of passthrough. Most likely the passthrough isn't even handled by the CPU or the GPU but by the 15 processors.

ShapeGSX

Yeah, useless. Unless you use it for what it is intended. I'll be using it.

CableCard is dead in the water.

So you want to reserve more power for the passthrough? Meaning that other things, which most likely will require a lower latency, will have to suffer in favor of passthrough. Most likely the passthrough isn't even handled by the CPU or the GPU but by the 15 processors.

Actually, I'd want that shit removed. Do it right or don't bother. And this isn't how you do one. If it's bad enough that 'it wouldn't be a good experience' then something did it wrong.

Yeah, useless. Unless you use it for what it is intended. I'll be using it.

CableCard is dead in the water.

Of course you'll be using it! You fit the ONLY use case for it (connect your cable DVR to it). What about everyone else? It's awesome you're using it, but what about everyone else? You need to think bigger picture. You're telling me that if I connect my HTPC to this, I'll be totally cool..until I try to play a game? That's horrendous.

And LOL CableCard is dead?! I'll let Tivo (the most popular DVR) and SiliconDust know. They're going to be furious. But no, continue to tell me how they're dead. You've lost me here, dude.

Top Bottom