• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guymelef

No dpad.
No sticks.
Tactile buttons instead of real buttons.
wtf_is_this_shit_re_jelly_bean_attack-s400x297-177299.jpg

Looks awesome.

I welcome all attempts to actually evolve joypads more then what Microsoft and Sony have done since twin sticks was introduced.

ironcreed

Banned
Looks like some kind of round, solid shape D-pad sort of deal in place of analog sticks. Could be neat, but it would definitely take some getting used to.

maxiell

They also have the best press of any company.

I’m a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I don’t want a controller?
You can’t make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But we’re happy you’re happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we won’t abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

Alx

Wow. That's interesting for sure. Some brave design choices there. I don't get the "I want to play with that" vibe, but I'm certainly very curious to try it.

Zeth

Possibly the first controller to come anywhere near mouse precision. On both axes. With haptics? This means you get positional feedback via touch for those who haven't though through their posts.

Grief.exe

Interesting. The whole design of the controller is to be compatible with all PC games available.

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We’ve fooled those older games into thinking they’re being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we’ve designed a gamepad that’s nothing like either one of those devices.) We think you’ll agree that we’re onto something with the Steam Controller, and now we want your help with the design process.

People complaining about looks are hilarious, its a controller not a runway model. I'll be curious to test it out, I hope its comfortable to use.

solarus

Fuck. Yes. First real advancement in game controllers in....forever (forgetting the motion control of the wii).
<3 valve

Damaniel

Banned
Wow! All the benefits of gaming on a mobile device brought to the desktop.

I'm not sure this is the controller I was hoping for. Where are the sticks? Not to mention that the X and Y buttons are placed in a location where they'll pretty much never get used. I'm interested in trying it, but I'm not sure that it's going to be any better than the controllers that we have now.

EDIT: Whether this controller is successful or not will also depend on how easy it is to map legacy functionality to the new controls. We'll just have to wait and see.

Saiyan-Rox

Even the controller is surprised the way it looks......

But as with all controllers can't comment until I actually have the thing in my hands

Seriously like I am all for trying dual trackpads but the button placement just seems bizarre. Like in the example Portal 2 controls they give, you wouldn't be able to move and push to talk at the same time, which seems pretty vital.

The Steam Controller is designed to work with all the games on Steam: past, present, and future. Even the older titles in the catalog and the ones which were not built with controller support. (We’ve fooled those older games into thinking they’re being played with a keyboard and mouse, but we’ve designed a gamepad that’s nothing like either one of those devices.)

I really like this bit.

But still, what the fuck. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom