• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

gruenel

I don't suppose there's a way to disable the fucking video recording / streaming shit is there?
No seriously,...........

As a future PS4 owner and an SSD convert, there IS going to be a 500 or 750gb SSD in my PS4. Now over the course of several years playtime, the fucking console almost constantly writing to disk is likely to fuck up my SSD, since it'll be writing to the goddamn drive so often.

I know it's a niche issue here for few - but SSD's don't like being overused (especially write cycles) - if I play a game like GTA5 for example that's 70 goddamn hours of non stop writes.
Any thoughts? Also, I'm in Australia - uploads are SHIT here, downloads aren't all bad but uploading any video is fucking nigh impossible anyhow.

720p video isn't that much data. If you get a decent SSD it will outlast the PS4 for sure. Especially if it's as big as 500 or 750GB.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nice and snappy.

I guess its a brand thing why they keep showing only the default blue background rather than any others?

Also wondering where all the media stuff lives on the UI.

VanWinkle

you can use the PS camera to stream a picture in picture of yourself where you can live comment on your stream

Speaking of which, what is the UI like while you are streaming? I assume you won't be playing full screen because then you couldn't see the comments, right? How is that set up?

Oni Jazar

I still don't see a way to manage 100s of content on the system. How do you access music/movie files or save data or different games? Can you sort, categorize, tag content? That is where the real challenge lies.

ObiDin

I love it. I was scared they were moving to a busy 'Xbox Lite' look with the PS4. Seems the good old XMB is still there. The PS3 OS might be limited and in many ways deficient but I maintain the XMB is the best UI on a console to date. It is clean, almost Apple like in its minimalism, very smooth and fast and really quite beautiful. Kudos to Sony for sticking with it.

Completely opposite for me. I was hoping, based on the UI pictures I had seen, that they were moving away from XMB to a bigger, icon or tile based UI. This just looks cheap, fast but cheap.

dancmc

it's fast...so that's something....not sure if I like it...I'll have to wait and see it on my TV (6 more weeks!!!). Much more interested to see how fast the downloads will be on the PS4's PSN store and whether they will fix the God awful patching process.

freshyk

Neo Member
This looks like an appropriate evolution of the PS3 XMB. Minimalist, efficient, and with new bigger tiles for your content. I like it! It's super fast and fluid and it looks pretty customizable from the other picture examples.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I still don't see a way to manage 100s of content on the system. How do you access music/movie files or save data or different games? Can you sort, categorize, tag content? That is where the real challenge lies.
KennyLinder mentioned earlier in the thread that it doesn't even have folders so far. Yet again, looks like another PS OS launching without at least having folders. Better be some other way to filter because otherwise right now it looks like it's just a long list of your stuff based on most recent activity.

What I don't get is how the DVR is capped to 720p. All of those Driveclub videos via direct feed are in 1080p, and I think I remember reading from the Driveclub dev that posts them that they are using the native PS4 capture option to post them (I could be mistaken on that part, but I'm fairly sure I remembered reading that somewhere).

Either way, it's not a huge deal one way or the other, and I'm betting that even if the PS4 launches this way, they'll eventually update that.

It seems like people still don't understand that the UI features both the XMB and a tile based interface section.

This is your tile based interface
ps4-ui-1.jpg

and if you press up on the controller you get to the XMB. It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It seems like people still don't understand that the UI features both the XMB and a tile based interface section.

ps4-ui-1.jpg

and if you press up on the controller you get to the XMB. It seems like the best of both worlds to me.

It basically is but they haven't shown enough of it yet. It's nice to see some video but it's painfully short.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
KennyLinder mentioned earlier in the thread that it doesn't even have folders so far. Yet again, looks like another PS OS launching without at least having folders. Better be some other way to filter because otherwise right now it looks like it's just a long list of your stuff based on most recent activity.
FWIW, danhese007 said there's also a separate game library menu that has been shown to devs behind closed doors.

Yea i am curious how they handle the game library. Right now i am assuming you scroll but we will see.

Scroll?

PS4UI.jpg
This is the main UI which shows your most recently played games, the games library UI is different from this.
They showed it at Develope behind closed doors developers session.

Since the UI seems to be based off the UI in their latest batch of TV's, I wouldn't be surprised if the game library ends up looking like the Bravia app menu. A grid of tiles with the option to flick between different filters and the ability to initiate downloading purchased content not currently installed.

Oni Jazar

Folders aren't absolutely necessary if you have categorizing, sorting, and tagging done properly. I just hope it's done right. To me it's the most important part of an OS aside second only to speed.

KoopaTheCasual

There has never been a manual recording option (it is automatic for every application), but you can manually turn on streaming and stream as long as you like.

It's actually not capped at 15 minutes. The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded in case you do something awesome.

while actively recording, your only limit is your HDD

I'm so conflicted here. Who do I believe? Both are insiders, but you're effectively saying the complete opposite things.

Melchiah

I hope the background color will change according to the time of day/year like on the PS3, and that the color changes and the swirl stay eventhough you put on a different wallpaper, unlike on the PS3. Which is the main reason why I haven't used alternative wallpapers for long, as their static nature starts to bore me after a while.

ckohler

ps4-ui-1.jpg

I think you're mistaken. Maybe I should make a YouTube video explaining this but there is no XMB in this.

XMB works like this:

Move left to right to select media/topics. Move up or down on a topic to select items in that topic. That's why it's called "Cross Media Bar". The following is an example of how you navigate the XMB. The numbers are the "Topics" (games, music, settings) and the letters are "Items" (God of War, Daft Punk, Display Settings, etc.):

Code:
   a
1  2  3  4  5  6  7
   b
   c
   d - This is an item to select

Now, on the main menu of the PS4's Dynamic Menu you move left and right and then click on a box to view details below BUT those boxes do not constitute "Topics" like in XMB. The boxes are individual items like games. Now, if you press UP on the d-pad from them you get what people are calling "XMB" but it is not.

All there are up there is some XMB looking icons. You can move left to right on these icons, making them grow slightly but this is where the similarities to XMB ends because once you click on one of those XMB looking icons they go away entirely and a new full screen interface appears. You don't see items creating a pattern like my diagram above. You then have to hit Circle to return to the icons. That is not how XMB works.

At best, there are some icons in the PS4's Dynamic Menu that resemble the XMB icons. That's it. Functionally, it's an entirely new bag.

Tidux

Dan Greenawalt has told VG247 that his team is already using “100%” of Xbox One to develop Forza Motorsport 5.
This sounds extremely strange, I myself have not been working on a Xbox One.

Our game engine uses about 45-55% of the PS4 performance.
the GPU and RAM is an absolute beast.

I think that in the near future will have a video where Sony itself will demonstrate the UI.

Dan Greenawalt has told VG247 that his team is already using “100%” of Xbox One to develop Forza Motorsport 5.

I think that in the near future will have a video where Sony itself will demonstrate the UI.

Which game are you guys working on?

DemonNite

I've heard many similar stories from 3rd parties to be honest. Certain unnamed developers I've talked to have said that getting the Xbone version up to the speed requires a decent amount of work. Whereas just porting it straight to PS4 without optimisations is still faster from just its raw power.

Tidux

I've heard many similar stories from 3rd parties to be honest. Certain unnamed developers I've talked to have said that getting the Xbone version up to the speed requires a decent amount of work. Whereas just porting it straight to PS4 without optimisations is still faster from just its raw power.

Yeah heard whispers from Epic Games,
MR said "Yeah, we're really pleased with what we got - at least so far from Sony
This is a phenomenal piece of hardware and we're going to do amazing things with it."

TS said "Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform"

SG said "Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering, as the speed that the data can be shifted around outstrips that 8GB. However, as a smallish indie, to us it's not about what we can do, it's about what we can do well. 1080p, 60fps, 3D is where it's at, and so far we're blown away by what we've managed to achieve with the hardware. Currently our imaginations are running away with themselves"

I know 4 a fact Snowdrop is running better on the PS4 then on a Xbox One.

MR said "Yeah, we're really pleased with what we got - at least so far from Sony
This is a phenomenal piece of hardware and we're going to do amazing things with it."

SG said "Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering, as the speed that the data can be shifted around outstrips that 8GB. However, as a smallish indie, to us it's not about what we can do, it's about what we can do well. 1080p, 60fps, 3D is where it's at, and so far we're blown away by what we've managed to achieve with the hardware. Currently our imaginations are running away with themselves"

i know snowdrop is running better on the PS4 then on a Xbox One.

tumblr_mts8dajVXd1sq2enro1_500.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Think about what that person has said in the past.

Krakn3Dfx

550.gif

I'm gonna have to go with the train of thought that this isn't XMB. It's got the icons but its still basically a tabbed UI. Which is still clean and this thing looks blazing. But it definitely wouldn't be XMB in my book. That also doesn't mean it's bad. I'm digging the tabbed interface since it's still organized and the fact that it's all tile based means I don't have to scroll through my dozens of games every time I want to play something different. Yeah folders were a PITA on the XMB.

edit: Who the hell is Tidux anyway? All of his posts on GAF are in this thread.

Kuro

Does this mean no more Gears of War?

Schrade

Extremely sad to hear that video recording is 720p :-/ I wanted whatever resolution the game is running at.

If it's only doing 720p that shit better look pristine compression-wise.

x264 CRF <22 quality at least.

Damn.
I'm excited for what's to come with the PS4.

B.O.O.M

No sry.all I know is our game has a dynamic game theme when you select it in the PS4 UI.
then it looks like this
tumblr_mqgamzkHCk1qa5c1eo1_500.jpg

Thank you for the info. I hope sony sheds more info on these things soon. Dynamic themes are one of my favorite aspects of the PS3 UI

androvsky

Thank you for the info. I hope sony sheds more info on these things soon. Dynamic themes are one of my favorite aspects of the PS3 UI

Mine too. I especially like the themes that have partially transparent icons so the theme stands out more. I'm not expecting them at launch though, since they're needing to concentrate on basic functionality. Remember what firmware updates were like in the first year or two of the PS3? :) This time it sounds like the OS is pretty solid, so fun stuff like dynamic themes and DLNA should come pretty soon after launch.
Maybe even folders. :(

Now if we could only figure out if Sony's seriously going to keep PS1 and PS2 games Gaikai-only on the PS4...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No sry.all I know is our game has a dynamic game theme when you select it in the PS4 UI.
then it looks like this
tumblr_mqgamzkHCk1qa5c1eo1_500.jpg

So we have this 'activity feed' type screen showing your most recent stuff across the top - just games or anything (apps you've used?). Below watchdogs you have those 'most popular video' etc - how do you get to those - just keep pressing down?

And what about other screens. Is there the equivalent of the vita home screen for each game? How about screens for browsing music, videos, TV apps etc?

Still a lot to find out.

Top Bottom