• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 XMB @ EuroGamer Expo (Off screen footage)

wizzbang

Banned
720p video isn't that much data. If you get a decent SSD it will outlast the PS4 for sure. Especially if it's as big as 500 or 750GB.

I've probably had my PS3 on for 500 to 700 hours, that long of endless writes, even 720p isn't going to be nice for a feature I don't care about.

DBT85

So a new member has just said 720p records, 1080p stills, and PiP for streaming and is still here and has been quoted by Kagari and only corrected once by DemonNite.

I did ask known devs some of these questions and was told they weren't able to say yet.

I assume Tidux is Bish approved?

Thank god Renegade Ops 2 just got confirmed here.

Would they not be busy making a game not at all set in Australia?

B_Boss

Yeah heard whispers from Epic Games,
MR said "Yeah, we're really pleased with what we got - at least so far from Sony
This is a phenomenal piece of hardware and we're going to do amazing things with it."

TS said "Sony has defined an ideal next-generation platform"

SG said "Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering, as the speed that the data can be shifted around outstrips that 8GB. However, as a smallish indie, to us it's not about what we can do, it's about what we can do well. 1080p, 60fps, 3D is where it's at, and so far we're blown away by what we've managed to achieve with the hardware. Currently our imaginations are running away with themselves"

I know 4 a fact Snowdrop is running better on the PS4 then on a Xbox One.

RLIjnsK.gif

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't need innovation when everything is clear and functional. Functionality > Innovation just to say you're innovative.

Seriously! Are there really people out there who would prefer a busy "innovative" UI over a simple lightning fast one? To me when it comes to my consoles or mobile, I'd rather it be fast and simple instead of looking pretty but slow.

Guymelef

Seriously! Are there really people out there who would prefer a busy "innovative" UI over a simple lightning fast one? To me when it comes to my consoles or mobile, I'd rather it be fast and simple instead of looking pretty but slow.

Yep, the last PS Store is a good example, just bring back the old one.

Iacobellis

MR said "Yeah, we're really pleased with what we got - at least so far from Sony
This is a phenomenal piece of hardware and we're going to do amazing things with it."

SG said "Having 8GB of DDR5 ram is staggering, as the speed that the data can be shifted around outstrips that 8GB. However, as a smallish indie, to us it's not about what we can do, it's about what we can do well. 1080p, 60fps, 3D is where it's at, and so far we're blown away by what we've managed to achieve with the hardware. Currently our imaginations are running away with themselves"

Are those initials for specific developers or different studios? I'm curious as to know who they are.

Truthfact?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Are those initials for specific developers or different studios? I'm curious as to know who they are.

Given the mention of Epic, I'd assume MR = Mark Rein.

No idea of the others though, I'm curious though.

edit: Ahh,

TS = Tm Sweeney

SG = Stewart Gilray, Just Add Water CEO

Iacobellis

Given the mention of Epic, I'd assume MR = Mark Rein.

No idea of the others though, I'm curious though.

edit: Ahh,

TS = Tm Sweeney

SG = Stewart Gilray, Just Add Water CEO

Damn... Crazy to think how the Oddworld developers were strictly Microsoft about ten years ago.

So a new member has just said 720p records, 1080p stills, and PiP for streaming and is still here and has been quoted by Kagari and only corrected once by DemonNite.

I did ask known devs some of these questions and was told they weren't able to say yet.

someone just has to PM bish and we'll find out.

Yeah, we need to know!

B_Boss

True, that was an obvious choice for them. Saturn was dying, and the N64 relied on aging cartridges.

Yeah for sure....and speaking of, god I can't wait to get that Abe's Oddysee remake on PS4. Certainly a PS1-era resurgence in that respect. Hoping for more Oddworld games on PS4 considering JustAddWater's love for the PS4.

Iacobellis

Yeah for sure....and speaking of, god I can't wait to get that Abe's Oddysee remake on PS4. Certainly a PS1-era resurgence in that respect. Hoping for more Oddworld games on PS4 considering JustAddWater's love for the PS4.

I'm pretty excited, too. The PS1 and PS2 had some of the most massive libraries of all-time, so I don't see why PS4 won't. Oh, the nostalgia is flowing in...

I want more obscure Japanese games again. Stuff like Metropolis Mania or Mister Mosquito.

Guymelef

They're also using it to make The Division, hmm...

Well, there are two options.
Snowdrop Engine (The Division). or
If he is being cryptic snowdrop = avalanche = Avalanche Engine (Avalanche Studios)
Tidux is swedish, like both Ubisoft Massive and Avalanche Studios.
So.. who knows...

Skeff

If he is being cryptic snowdrop = avalanche = Avalanche Engine (Avalanche Studios)
So.. who knows...

Also it is unannounced and he is not working on xb1, so it may or may not be sony exclusive as other devs could be doing the xb1 version.

I would have guessed the Division as that is what Massive are apparently working on, but the unannonced throws me off, I'm assuming he has been confirmed as a dev.

B_Boss

I'm pretty excited, too. The PS1 and PS2 had some of the most massive libraries of all-time, so I don't see why PS4 won't. Oh, the nostalgia is flowing in...

I want more obscure Japanese games again. Stuff like Metropolis Mania or Mister Mosquito.

Shame on me for excluding the PS2 and obscure Japanese Titles FTW. Please bring it Sony.

Tidux

The news of watch dogs beeing superior on The PS4 is just The first game to admit it, just wait, all the wisphers says The same thing.

B_Boss

The news of watch dogs beeing superior on The PS4 is just The first game to admit it, just wait, all the wisphers says The same thing.

Hell this could be the beginning of a Domino Effect lol. Ubi opens up and say something then everyone may just follow suit. I mean if Sony's hardware is more advanced then so be it and vice-versa. Make the games as best you can using the full potential (when applicable) of each console.

Glad they kept the xmb element in the root menu. Looking good. Have they said whether they will have a password option for different users on the same machine? Not talking about logging into PSN, but a password for right after the machine starts up. PS3 needed that.

So.. who knows...

Also it is unannounced and he is not working on xb1, so it may or may not be sony exclusive as other devs could be doing the xb1 version.

I would have guessed the Division as that is what Massive are apparently working on, but the unannonced throws me off, I'm assuming he has been confirmed as a dev.

The Crew is being developed on PS4 by Ubisoft Reflections.

Tidux

talked to a friend today, he is more familiar with the UI. Works @ Sony
according to my friend, the Trophy information dynamically synchronizes.
The UI in the video is about 3 month old, a new version is ready to go 2 Dev teams next week.

TheJerit

The UI in the video is about 3 month old, a new version is ready to go 2 Dev teams next week.

southpark-nice.png

anything else he tell ya? ;p

Rengoku

Could you ask your friend to implement this feature?

ibsxwQPdDtHOpk.png

YES!!!!! No more synching trophies garbage.

Oh, I would be carefull with what you say. People are starving for news regarding the differences between the consoles and might put you in an uncomfortable light if you say too much.

But please go right ahead and say what you want about the UI and the new PSN. :p

jwk94

I heard that a long press of the share button takes a screenshot, is that true? I'd rather not have to go through the share menu to do that.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really really bummed they are doing the XMB.

On my ps3 the things I look for are almost never in the fucking category that would make the most sense.

Hate the XMB, and hate the shitty bubbles on my awesome vita.

SHADES

Edit* Nevermind, LTTP, Snowdrop based question.

SLY_

Banned
Really really bummed they are doing the XMB.

On my ps3 the things I look for are almost never in the fucking category that would make the most sense.

Hate the XMB, and hate the shitty bubbles on my awesome vita.

This for me as well. I know some folks like it, but damn is it bland, boring and dull to me.

I can live with it, but I certainly don't love it.

Is the mock-up from the reveal not an option any longer?

Top Bottom