• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustforce |OT| Ninja Janitors

JEKKI

maaaaaaan u kno what sucks worse than real hard Gold doors?!?!

Gold doors that u dont kno how hard they are coz theyre too hard to reach.

RzZmq.jpg

arrrgh!!! cant figure out how to get to this!! lol

any tips?!?!

-EDIT- image quoted lol coz it's too big >_<

PokéKong

maaaaaaan u kno what sucks worse than real hard Gold doors?!?!

Gold doors that u dont kno how hard they are coz theyre too hard to reach.

arrrgh!!! cant figure out how to get to this!! lol

any tips?!?!

-EDIT- image quoted lol coz it's too big >_<

Try running near the top of the wall on the far right, jump off and cling across that ceiling protruding down, then a well timed double jump after running off the edge of that should get you in.

JEKKI

the problem is I cant get a double jump to come out!!

every time I try I get a dash instead and the dash doesnt cover enough air to carry u to the door!!

>_<

I'll keep trying but man... these controls dont always seem to work how u want them to.

still a fun game tho lol

the problem is I cant get a double jump to come out!!

every time I try I get a dash instead and the dash doesnt cover enough air to carry u to the door!!

>_<

I'll keep trying but man... these controls dont always seem to work how u want them to.

still a fun game tho lol

Totally agree, these ain't no Super Meat Boy caliber controls I was hoping for...

JEKKI

whoo~!!! I got it!!

basically, an additional jump only becomes available once u naturally dislodge from the ceiling,

but instead of jumping towards the door, jump back to your left and try to get to the left hand side of the ledge, there's another ceiling there u can run across and make it to the door!!

anywayz,

also good news, I SS'd that stage!!

altho my time is in the lower half of the scorelist (6xx/1xxx) lol

that's how I'm playing this game! SS everything, but hellz naw am I making it to the top of the list lol

epmode

This update was apparently more than just a level editor:

Some changes: a new nexus overworld system

We&#8217;ve redesigned the nexus layout -- we found that the previous one was not very friendly for beginners. A surprisingly small fraction of players actually ventured outside of the forest area! Additionally, the distribution of door difficulty was not even, so new players often ended up in places way over their skill level. This new layout splits up the nexus into four sub-nexuses (nexii?): Forest, Mansion, City, and Lab. Also, the easy doors are easier to get to, and the gold doors are harder to reach.

New key progression system

Along with the nexus change, we also reworked the key system. The problem with the old key system was that it rendered non-SS scores useless. However, it was good in that it highly rewarded perfection. This new system is more accessible without taking away the satisfaction of a perfect score. It works like this:

Think of the scores as percentages: an S is worth 50%, an A is worth 40%, all the way down to 10% for a D. So an SS is worth 100%, an SA is worth 90%, etc.
Your top scores in each level are combined to determine your key count: every 100 percentage points you earn, you get a key. For example, if you get an AB (70%) on one level, and a SA (90%) on another, you get a key, and the 60% remainder is applied to your next key.
This works on a per-key-type basis. So you have a separate meter for silver keys, gold keys, etc.

mèx

Neo Member
The update is out, and Dustforce is 50% off on Steam too!
It's a steal for 3.49 euro, really.

Let's see how good are these custom levels...

Vlad

I'm gutted nobody in my friend list bought this game so far. It isn't much fun when you don't have times to compete against.

One of the downsides of not having a demo. I thought the game looked fairly interesting, but since there's no demo, I'm waiting for one to come out or for it to go on sale for an amount I wouldn't mind blind buying at.

LaneDS

Totally going to go back to try the update! I'll never be good enough to SS a lot of those stages but maybe with the redesigned progression I'll get more mileage out of the game.

Still probably my favorite soundtrack from this year, although I've really liked the Fez soundtrack too (though I've played that one a heck of a lot less, despite it being way easier).

Mrbob

Is there an advanced tutorial for this game?

I bought it during the Steam sale and am having fun, but I'm starting to hit a wall in terms of my ratings. I have a tough time figuring out if I can double jump off a wall, jump and dash, do neither.

I'm watching some videos are finishing a level but I can't seem to come to close to pulling off the moves I see.

How do people play this? With a key and mouse or controller? I initially found key/mouse a bit awkward and switched to my 360 controller which works better for me but I still have trouble doing advanced moves.

I'm using a controller and something I've found that's really helpful is mapping up and down to the triggers instead of the d-pad or stick, so your thumb doesn't deform and break off from all the constant up/down. This frees you up for left/right only and the triggers are a good fit for being a "climb" or "slide" button, imo.

Also, something I noticed, when you're running off a platform, you don't have as much time to jump as you may think, if you wait a little bit too long then it'll count as an air jump (or dash) and you won't have a 2nd jump (you can tell by the animation that plays). And speaking of that 2nd jump, if you're wall jumping around, you only have one air jump/dash until you hit the ground again (or dust off an enemy), so keep that in mind if you need to save it for a specific area. You can jump off walls as many times as you want though.

PokéKong

I'm seeing how an arcade stick might be the ideal method for this game, it's the closest to a keyboard in terms of easy 360 digital input, while being slightly more "natural".

Platy

A friend gave me this game for my birthday .. and I have to say it is one of the most fun games that I played in a while !

I LOVE just playing witht the parkour mechanics and the first levels are easy and relaxing in a way that other speedrun games would not even dare to think about

Also .. DAT SOUNDTRACK

Wow this game is great. I got it during the Humble Bundle sale, today is the first time playing it.

Some levels are very challenging and the music is great. Maybe I'm missing something, but do the characters have different attributes? The old guy seems to jump higher from what I noticed.

Nabs

Wow this game is great. I got it during the Humble Bundle sale, today is the first time playing it.

Some levels are very challenging and the music is great. Maybe I'm missing something, but do the characters have different attributes? The old guy seems to jump higher from what I noticed.

I think the blue and red characters are similar, but the others do have different properties. I think the purple character has a triple jump or something like that.

If you like the game now, just wait until it all clicks.

Dustman is pretty much the default. Not sure how to describe him.

Dustgirl has longer attack range and shorter dash range but supposedly accelerates faster on slopes. Also might have slightly different jumping attributes, because I can't beat Hideout with her at all.

Dustkid has the shortest jump but can triple jump and double air dash. Fastest attack speed and shortest range.

Dustworth has the highest jump, biggest attack range, but slowest attack speed.

I beat almost every level (excluding the final levels through the last door) with Dustman, but used Dustkid for a couple (like Abyss and Night Temple). And there are a few that Dustworth is good it, but you'll probably use him the least.

It's too bad the only levels they added were the Adjective Difficult levels. Aside from Giga Difficult, they're all pretty much terrible.

Vlad

I can't beat Ghost Parabets. My jumps don't reach most of platforms.

Sometimes I double jump but other times I don't.

If your double jumps don't seem to be working, then you're probably hitting the jump button after you've already gone off the ledge, using up your air jump when you think you're just jumping off of the ground.

The jumping effect is slightly different when air jumping vs ground jumping, so if you watch closely, you'll be able to tell as soon as you jump if you're going to be able to do another one in the air or not.

Here's a few quickie screenshots that show the difference:

First, this is a regular ground jump that will let you still get in an air jump later on:
AQUXs.jpg

nnlRW.jpg

Here's a jump immediately after I ran off the edge. This is an air jump, so if you see that, then you jumped too late.

XBfVr.jpg

Also keep in mind that you often need to dash before a jump (especially on the level you're on) in order to have enough speed to get to the next platform.

Alric

Such a fun tightly controlled game. I consider myself decent but damn, watched the lowest time runs on the harder levels makes my hand eye coordination seem infantile.

LaneDS

Tried the Vita demo and was ready to buy it, but man that is a messy and disappointing port (very inconsistent performance).

LaneDS

Wish I could agree with you there; I feel like it very tangibly impacts the gameplay and by proxy my enjoyment of the game.

That said, glad some folks are having fun with it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I tried the demo on Vita today and absolutely love it!
Never played on Steam, so maybe I just don't notice any difference in performance, but it plays really smooth.

The sense of fluidity and challenge is great, especially being able to jump again after attacking enemies in mid-air.
I've been having a blast and getting S-ranks here and there, but must admit that sometimes the controls feel a little awkward/unresponsive. This is probably after coming from platformers like Spelunky and Guacamelee, which are more about precision and don't rely on any funky parkour.

It feels a lot like Mirror's Edge in that once you understand how the environments/hitboxes work, you can fly through levels getting better and better.

A few Qs for people playing on Vita:

1. The pause menu feels clunky, but I read there was a 'Quick Restart' button. Can anyone confirm what this is?

2. Will my progress from the demo carry over if I purchase the full game? (Retroactive trophies would be nice, if I unlocked any...)

3. Is the level editor in? Any new features for Vita?

4. Custom soundtracks? (Not that the OST isn't great, just for variety.)

So I apologize for the bump, but I just bought the game on my vita. How in the world do you get to the last level in the forest? I can't for the life of me figure out how to get high enough. :( And there's no videos online.

Edit: and as soon as I post this, I get it.

R&D

Banned
A demo is out on XBLA. Tried it but I don't like this type of level structure (Collect all the leaves for S ranking). Also the controls are not as smooth as I imagined. Super Meat Boy completely destroys it.

LaneDS

This is, I think, probably worth a new thread:

http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-dx-update-released

Dustforce DX is released, which includes 109 community levels and a revamped structure to guide players through the easier levels earlier, building up to the tough stuff (i.e. most of the game). Also introduced a bunch of new levels to make that ramp up less severe. Full changelog and better descriptions at the link, but wanted to share.

Edit: went ahead and posted a thread here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135716662#post135716662

Top Bottom