• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Tsundere

Banned
When I was searching I saw an article on it. I don't actually know, so I can't confirm anything.

To be clear - I don't know the resolution for every 3rd party game on XBO. I don't know why people think I would. Do you believe the 3rd parties are giving me a report on the latest resolutions of their games? Or I can just call up and they will share it?

I know the resolutions of our First party games, that's it.

And, to be clear, I was asking if anyone had a list COMPARING Xbox One and PS4 resolutions. Even in the list above, it doesn't give me the XBO resolutions for a lot of 3rd parties.

I ended up generating my own list.
How did you do that without contacting them?
Also would be nice to include framerates, because resolution alone doesn't tell the story.

When I was searching I saw an article on it. I don't actually know, so I can't confirm anything.

To be clear - I don't know the resolution for every 3rd party game on XBO. I don't know why people think I would. Do you believe the 3rd parties are giving me a report on the latest resolutions of their games? Or I can just call up and they will share it?

And, to be clear, I was asking if anyone had a list COMPARING Xbox One and PS4 resolutions. Even in the list above, it doesn't give me the XBO resolutions for a lot of 3rd parties.

Albert are you telling us that going into a new generation, MS has no contact with 3rd party developers and has no idea where they're at in the development of their games?

Thanks for clarifying! Any chance of sharing your list if you have anything not already here, or would that just open another can of worms?

Well my list has a lot of holes in. It basically looks the same as what was posted above - I can't find comparisons of both platforms for 3rd party titles.

Basically, what I see is that Sony's first party games are all 1080p. Our games are a mix. And of course you mix inconsistencies on framerates where both KI and Forza are 60fps, DC and Knack are 30, and KIllzone is a mix.

But I was more curious about the 3rd party titles and I've found no official comments on their resolutions. Given that, and the fact I don't know because they are 3rd party games, means I can't draw any conclusions.

Kysen

Wish I could just fast forward to the DF comparisons, all this speculation is killing me. Somewhere out there is a bunch of developers that already know whats up but are tight lipped.

angelic

Banned
why is it always 720 "p", 900 "p" still...surely the image is always progressive now on hdtv on these hdmi only systems, why do we still specify?

To be clear - I don't know the resolution for every 3rd party game on XBO. I don't know why people think I would. Do you believe the 3rd parties are giving me a report on the latest resolutions of their games?

Or I can just call up and they will share it?

Apparently no one in the entire Xbone division has any contacts with third party developers. Microsoft finds out details about games published on their platform on release day.

just stop....

Skeff

Thank you for your clarification, I'm sure you can understand that if a Microsoft director of product planing talks about hearing of both versions being at 900p, that is going to make waves and so it should, no one is suggesting you know the resolution of third party games, however it seems that you brought up that particular game yourself, so perhaps you could have known, it doesn't seem to be an outrageous suggestion.

Regarding whether or not you know the resolutions of third party games it would seem more likely you would know more than us, I do imagine you work with people who in fact do work in third party relations and would know some of these resolutions and perhaps news could have been passed on in a casual conversation.

We also know that XB1 engineers have been working on helping DR3 achieve a stable framerate and so it would be likely if they were also in contact with third parties.

We have heard so very little of XB1 versions of multiplats, the only real exceptions is Fifa I believe, which always has an 'efficient' production timeline.

It would be great if you could share your list with us ad I will update the one I wrote to include it.

Also final question for now, Do you know DR3 resolution? I understand it is not first party, however, as I have already explained Microsoft have been helping with the title, so perhaps it would make sense if you would know the resolution or at least if it is fixed or Dynamic.

Well my list has a lot of holes in. It basically looks the same as what was posted above - I can't find comparisons of both platforms for 3rd party titles.

Basically, what I see is that Sony's first party games are all 1080p. Our games are a mix. And of course you mix inconsistencies on framerates where both KI and Forza are 60fps, DC and Knack are 30, and KIllzone is a mix.

But I was more curious about the 3rd party titles and I've found no official comments on their resolutions. Given that, and the fact I don't know because they are 3rd party games, means I can't draw any conclusions.

It seems a little disingenuous to phrase the framerate discussion as you have, You seem to have chosen first party explicitly so some titles can be ignored, on purpose, DR3 and Ryse on XB1 at 30fps and Resogun, Flower, DC:UO and FF14 all of which are confirmed 60fps on PS4.

EDIT: to the poster who spoke about cutting of my nose to spite my face, I don't consider BF4 to be a must have purchase, I'd prefer killzone anyway.

Soupstorm

Neo Member

Well there's really only two conclusions that can reasonably emerge from this data set. Either the PS4 is objectively and meaningfully more powerful, or Microsoft's first-party studios are of a lower calibre than Sony's.

Tsundere

Banned
Well there's really only two conclusions that can reasonably emerge from this data set. Either the PS4 is objectively and meaningfully more powerful, or Microsoft's first-party studios are of a lower calibre than Sony's.
EINT0.gif

Jack_AG

Banned

I believe a safe conclusion is that with many games being launch or launch-window on top of being cross-gen - to expect devs to just hit parity, tbh. I cannot see any 3rd party cross-platform-cross-gen game taking advantage of either system's strengths.

It sucks not just for gamers but for MS and Sony, IMO. Lots of people will judge both X1 and PS4 from some of those multiplats - especially casuals. I don't believe any x-p-x-g game will be a hallmark for either system.

I am personally livid we haven't seen any direct-feed BF4 footage from DICE on either console platform. BIG roll of the proverbial "DICE" when laying down 60 for X1/PS4. Get it? DICE? HAR HAR!

Jesus. Ice cold.

beast786

It seems a little disingenuous to phrase the framerate discussion as you have, You seem to have chosen first party explicitly so some titles can be ignored, on purpose, DR3 and Ryse on XB1 at 30fps and Resogun, Flower, DC:UO and FF14 all of which are confirmed 60fps on PS4.

EDIT: to the poster who spoke about cutting of my nose to spite my face, I don't consider BF4 to be a must have purchase, I'd prefer killzone anyway.

THIS is exactly what he does all the time? He lied before and twist and spin. You should put SHOCKING NEWS when you put disingenuous and Albert in the same sentence

With that name and that avatar, I don't expect you to comprehend my question. Cause what Albert is claiming is a little ridiculous

How is it ridiculous that on a launch system where the OS or drivers aren't even final yet that he doesn't have all the final information of all 3rd party games performances? Are you serious?

Iacobellis

Compare the visuals (not just resolution) of Forza to Driveclub and you will see why they aren't the same framerate. Killer Instinct is a 720p fighter. How many fighting games have an absurd amount of effects that would be on a platformer like Knack or a shooter like Killzone?

Tsundere

Banned
How is it ridiculous that on a launch system where the OS or drivers aren't even final yet that he doesn't have all the final information of all 3rd party games performances? Are you serious?
They're manufacturing the machines, these games are going gold in a few weeks.

paolo11

I'm curious about this "dynamic resolution" for Dead Rising 3. What resolution should we be expecting? 720p to 1080p? I'm confused.

And in the future, should 1080p be common on 1st and 3rd party games?

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the director of product planning for one of the major gaming platforms would find out 3rd party game resolutions on his system by looking at articles written by journalists instead of just calling up any of the numerous contacts he should by all rights be in contact with

Either he's suggesting he as director of product planning for xbox isn't in direct communication with 3rd parties or he doesn't care what the actual resolutions are and simply wants to know what information on those resolutions has been released yet

I think the latter is far more likely although I suppose the former is possible

Apparently no one in the entire Xbone division has any contacts with third party developers. Microsoft finds out details about games published on their platform on release day.

just stop....

Agree. I can't be true that GAF knows, what MS should know. Seems kinda strange for MS to google for info on games being released on their upcoming console.

Iacobellis

I'm curious about this "dynamic resolution" for Dead Rising 3. What resolution should we be expecting? 720p to 1080p? I'm confused.

And in the future, should 1080p be common on 1st and 3rd party games?

Definitely not 720p to 1080p. If a more basic game like KI can't hit 1080p, don't expect DR3 to.

just stop....

I'm sorry that peoples' lack of understanding of our team works, gets translated into me being disingenuous.

OF COURSE we have a 3rd party team that works very closely with publishers.

That team is organizationally separate from the rest of us. Why? Because that team deals with very sensitive information. Remember, we are both a competitor and a partner to our publishers.

To preserve that balance, our 3rd party team isn't in the habit of doling out information to the rest of the team, including me, whenever we want. I don’t get to walk over there and see whatever I want, or get these types of questions answered because of my position.

So what do you want to be true? That I can walk over and get any piece of information I want about any 3rd party game? Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

Because the latter part is true. So yes, a lot of these details I will get near the same time the game actually ships.

So let's use some common sense. Almost nobody that works on Xbox knows details of 3rd party games besides that team.

frizby

smh. Go watch Foxnews.

So, let me get this straight.

We're skeptical that third party games for X1 have undergone no certification process through Microsoft, and we're the ones falling for propaganda.

Nevermind your avatar and username. That statement speaks volumes about your mindset. Good luck.

Who else but microsoft and the developer would know about current resolution/framerate for any particular game on their platform?
Stop talking nonsense....

I'm sorry that peoples' lack of understanding of our team works, gets translated into me being disingenuous.

That team is organizationally separate from the rest of us. Why? Because that team deals with very sensitive information. Remember, we are both a competitor and a partner to our publishers.

To preserve that balance, our 3rd party team isn't in the habit of doling out information to the rest of the team, including me, whenever we want. I don’t get to walk over there and see whatever I want, or get these types of questions answered because of my position.

So what do you want to be true? That I can walk over and get any piece of information I want about any 3rd party game? Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

Because the latter part is true. So yes, a lot of these details I will get near the same time the game actually ships.

So let's use some common sense. Almost nobody that works on Xbox knows details of 3rd party games besides that team.

Common sense is hard to come by over here.

paolo11

Definitely not 720p to 1080p. If a more basic game like KI can't hit 1080p, don't expect DR3 to.

So 720p to 900p?

And Gaf, educate me on this but can we expect the Xbox One to provide 1080p on most games in the future? I mean for a next gen system, I expect that to happen, right or I just have high standards?

Iacobellis

So a select few at Xbox know what the third party games will look like? Dafuck?

Oh, he also said balance!

Tsundere

Banned

Yea, common sense, as in, the more powerful machine will deliver the better performing multi-platform game, right? We could all use a little more common sense in here, including you Albert.

Iacobellis

So 720p to 900p?

And Gaf, educate me on this but can we expect the Xbox One to provide 1080p on most games in the future? I mean for a next gen system, I expect that to happen, right or I just have high standards?

Probably, nobody knows. 1080p seems like a stretch for the Xbox One, at least right now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

CBOAT says don't expect it, and given what we know about the size and bandwidth of the eSRAM and the number of ROPs it's a pretty reasonable inference that 1080p will be the exception rather than the rule on Xbone.

Yeah I'm serious. I'm serious cause if he doesn't have that information and he is a prominent figure at Xbox then how does he expect us to have it? Think about what your saying. The only reason he asked for those specs is to make a point that XB1 and PS4 have pretty much the same resolution on multiplatform games. So more power to him for making that point. But claiming he can't get that information when he obviously wants it is disingenuous

Donthizz#

that " BALANCE "

Yeah I'm serious. I'm serious cause if he doesn't have that information and he is a prominent figure at Xbox then how does he expect us to have it? Think about what your saying. The only reason he asked for those specs is to make a point that XB1 and PS4 have pretty much the same resolution on multiplatform games. So more power to him for making that point. But claiming he can't get that information when he obviously wants it is disingenuous

I dunno, i dont necessarily think its up to him either to reveal exactly what the performances are on yet to be released 3rd party games. They work with 3rd party as partners, they cant just spill out any info they want on those games just cause joe blow on neogaf wants to know.

Let me get this right, you are telling me that the Director of Product Planning is not privy to the resolution/framerate information for third party games, despite these topics being discussed with news organizations/websites?

Zornack

Let me get this right, you are telling me that the Director of Product Planning is not privy to the resolution/framerate information for third party games, despite these topics being discussed with news organizations/websites?

That's what I don't get either. There are quotes from developers talking about frame rate and resolution of third party PS4/XB1 games but Albert doesn't have that information? What?

EagleEyes

I'm still in awe that Albert responds to some of you guys.
I was thinking the same thing lol. He's trying to respond to people who have already made up their minds about the Xbox One and he would probably be better off going to the dentist and getting some teeth pulled instead.

LTWheels

So a select few at Xbox know what the third party games will look like? Dafuck?

Oh, he also said balance!

Makes perfect sense. Provides a dedicated team/data room that makes third parties feel secure with confidential information they are providing to MS.

You see a lot of stuff like this regularly in business. A bit like how THQ is suing EA for breach of their confidential information that they provided EA in their data room.

Top Bottom