• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Forked me again: They sold me a demo disc

Last week when I was in Gamestop, there was a new copy of Steambot chronicles on the wall. I had some extra cash today so I went by to see if it was still there. It was, so I grabbed it and a used game and left. I didn't look at the disc much when I placed in the ps3. I started playing about an hour ago and when I finally got to a save point I was told you can't save during the demo version. O-o I pull out the disc and finally take a look at it.
HPIM0678-1.jpg

It was hard to miss once I looked.

HPIM0679-1.jpg

Tilt that to the light and it clearly reads 'Not for resale Demo Disc'

Yeah, thats real nice Gamestop. Is this on purpose? I didn't see any used copies but maybe jackass grabbed the wrong disc from the shelf (its always annoyed me they open up new wrapped games and remove the disc). Even then, I bought it NEW, why am I getting the fake someone dumped on Gamestop.

[rant] What really pisses me off is that I always feel bad about shopping there. I've been screwed out of pre-orders and sold 'new' games that were obviously used and had sworn them off completely. However, they are the only Store anywhere near me that gets the games on the actually release date and recently the only store to get Ratchet and Uncharted a week early. So I've been shopping there allot and BS'ing myself by saying they gotten better :p. Hell, I was even trying to convince BeatBox (who refuses to shop there for any reason) he should give up the grudge and grab Uncharted early. Oh I'm getting a copy of SteamBot chronicles from them tomorrow (demo is serious fun), and I swear, someone write this down, I AM NEVER BUYING ANYTHING FOR GAMESTOP EVER AGAIN, NOT EVEN FOR A GIFT!!!!! My fault for ever going back :p [/rant]

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Before you take that bitch back to the store, get the name and phone number of the regional mangers.

Ouch.

Whenever I get stuck with a opened "new" copy, I always check the disc before leaving the parking lot.

Edit: adk;jfds;lfsa

grandjedi6 said:
Just return the disk and complain.
lol What about my post made you think I wouldn't do that? You better believe i'm complaining about it. I'm also expecting to get some crap, I assume they'll think im trying to pull one on them.

Attack You said:
Ouch.

Whenever I get stuck with a opened "new" copy, I always check the disc before leaving the parking lot. Anyway, I wonder if it was theirs to begin with, or did someone trade it in to them like that?

Im still giving them the benefit of the doubt, I don't really think they took a marker to it, but it makes me wonder if I would have just gotten a used disc anyway, this was new, they say

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BobTheFork said:
lol What about my post made you think I wouldn't do that? You better believe i'm complaining about it. I'm also expecting to get some crap, I assume they'll think im trying to pull one on them.

Well this problem isn't exclusive to Gamestop. I remember one time Toys R US sold 10 copies of the Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike demo for full price

Infernal Monkey said:
The Rating Pending thing on the disc is a nice warning too. =)
lol Thats two strikes for me. I don't think ive ever really looked and the cover of a game before I pop it in for the first time

grandjedi6 said:
Well this problem isn't exclusive to Gamestop. I remember one time Toys R US sold 10 copies of the Rogue Squadron: Rebel Strike demo for full price

so the demo came in full packaging? huh, i assumed it was just a disc in a sleeve and someone duped the counter monkey. Well, then they wouldn't have the case to display so I'm not sure

BobTheFork said:
Im still giving them the benefit of the doubt, I don't really think they took a marker to it, but it makes me wonder if I would have just gotten a used disc anyway, this was new, they say

Yeah, I just had a severe brain fart there. Don't pay me any attention.

Seriously, though, quit shopping at Gamestop. They do this shit because they know their customers don't have the wherewithal to sue their asses to high heaven.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's pretty shocking. I would definitely phone a few figures of management there to tell them about it.

Seems like Gamestation in the UK aren't much better though. I finally tracked down a copy of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness which I had never played before and really wanted to despite the reports of it being a bit meh, in their shop in Bournemouth. This was way earlier in the year, sometime in March.

Anyway finally got around to playing it a few weeks ago, stuck it in the PS2, watched the intro... Hang on, this is looking similar. Got to the Load Game screen... Why do I suddenly have +90% completion save games for a game I'd never played before?!

Took the disk out... The stupid fucks had put Lament of Innocence in a Curse of Darkness box!!!

grandjedi6 said:

TRU originally valued promo items at a penny until their employees snatched them all up or sold them away frivolously. Eventually, TRU got a bug up its ass about the freebies and attached a ridiculous price to them solely for the purpose of making them an issue in Loss Prevention. The TRU I worked at had a bunch of Rebel Strike demos left over, too, and priced stupidly so that we couldn't just give them away or trash them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BobTheFork said:
so the demo came in full packaging? huh, i assumed it was just a disc in a sleeve and someone duped the counter monkey. Well, then they wouldn't have the case to display so I'm not sure

Demos usually come in its own contain. Otherwise they would be damaged during shipping

Attack You said:
TRU originally valued promo items at a penny until their employees snatched them all up or sold them away frivolously. Eventually, TRU got a bug up its ass about the freebies and attached a ridiculous price to them solely for the purpose of making them an issue in Loss Prevention. The TRU I worked at had a bunch of Rebel Strike demos left over, too, and priced stupidly so that we couldn't just give them away or trash them.

TRU had sold the demos as if they were the real game to people. It was before the actual game released so people bought it up quickly. It wasn't until I told the manager that they realized they had sold demo disks as the real thing

Yagharek

best bet is being civil and asking the person who sold it to you if they remember you and the disc, if that fails, go higher up the chain until you reach the dm or the magazine distribution manager.

grandjedi6 said:
TRU had sold the demos as if they were the real game to people. It was before the actual game released so people bought it up quickly. It wasn't until I told the manager that they realized they had sold demo disks as the real thing

Yep. Happens when you get a less-than-knowledgeable employee stocking the R-Zone, and management often couldn't tell if that was a demo at first glance, because of the price on it. You probably had to explain to them that demos don't sell for the price of actual games, too.

Most likely someone bought the game, replaced it with the demodisc, took it back to GameStop and got full refund. GameStop thought that the game still was new and put it on the shelf. You bought it and now everyone loses, except the SOB that replaced the real disc with a demo one in the first place.

Yeah, like someone else said, some asshat screwed you and Gamestop over. When I used to manage for them I would get guys who came in all the time with demo discs that had the "demo: not for resale" text covered with a sticker or marked out like your disc. Luckily I told all my employees to check for this so we never got screwed.

Mau ®

I once bought a used copy of Dark Cloud 2 (PS2) and it didnt come with the disk. I found out when I arrived at my house... which was like 2 hours away from this particular gamestop.

I didnt do a single thing. Mostly because it was like $14 bucks... not reallly worth the trip. And I was very lazy back then.

IzumiK

Banned
I swore never to buy anything from EBgames. But sometimes, they just get things before anyone else. >_< And I want the game right now! Like Dracula X Chronicles wasn't even listed in Futureshop's supplies. They said that means they aren't even getting it.

I need a better game supplier. I hate EBgames to the tip.

Ya, the gamestop I used to work at a similar thing happened. One of the workers there took in the daxter demo disk as the actual game and then a couple days later a person came back angry after buying it used and it just being a demo disk. I've seen things like that for used but that's weird that it crept into new. I would just complain to higher ups about it too, maybe you'll get something free for their blunder.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I only buy new, mainstream games from GameStop. Also, I only buy stuff I preorder. Then I can get it on Day One while the game is still in its original packaging (the fact that this is a novelty is a fucking disgrace).

Otherwise, I go across the street to Best Buy, where they don't bother me about preordering, my games are ALWAYS in the original packaging, even months after release, and they have stacks of games on day one, whereas GameStop won't ever have one unless you preordered.

I haven't shopped at Gamestop in forever because they're just so stupid. I don't think I've shopped there since I've gotten my X360 from them at launch. That's a long story in itself, but they managed to screw that up big time.

Your life will be so much better without GS...

Gamestop forked me a little bit when I preordered CoD4. They told me that I would definitely get the bonus DVDs even though I was preordering the PS3 version of the game. In fact, that's the only reason I preordered it from Gamestop, because otherwise I would have got it from Best Buy due to me having a $25 BB Gift Card.
Did I get the bonus stuff? Nope. :(

Vyer

PetriP-TNT said:
Most likely someone bought the game, replaced it with the demodisc, took it back to GameStop and got full refund. GameStop thought that the game still was new and put it on the shelf. You bought it and now everyone loses, except the SOB that replaced the real disc with a demo one in the first place.

Pretty much.

Yeah Gamestop does some shit, but that wouldn't be one of them. Most likely that game was traded in by some dick that wants to fuck over everyone.

Though, depending on the management, if you go in NOT acting like an ass you are less likely to encounter any shit when you bring it back in.

Mamesj

Banned
This is not their fault, go get a refund and move on.

now, the time I got MvC2 disc only, scratched to hell on the bottom AND scratched on TOP, from gamestop.com-- that was complete fucking bullshit. :lol

Shins

Banned
Am I the only person who always checks for shrink wrap on supposedly new software? It's not a 100% indicator that the product hasn't been opened, but I refuse to buy an open box on something that's advertised as new. And as someone else said, I always check the disc out before leaving the parking lot.

It sucks that this happened, but you really fuck yourself over by being unaware.

IzumiK said:
I swore never to buy anything from EBgames. But sometimes, they just get things before anyone else. >_< And I want the game right now! Like Dracula X Chronicles wasn't even listed in Futureshop's supplies. They said that means they aren't even getting it.
You are part of the problem

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Mamesj said:
yeah, he should go to wal-mart or best buy instead, because they're better.
I'd rather give my money to a corporation that exploits its workers than one that exploits me. :D

Mamesj

Banned
Fuzzy said:
I'd rather give my money to a corporation that exploits its workers than one that exploits me. :D

yep, 'cause Best Buy and Wal-Mart aren't exploiting you at all. if I get further into this, I'll look like a GS plant.

The Experiment said:
I'd rather shop at a horrible retailer like Walmart than come online and bootlick GameSpot and their shit practices.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike all major game retailers-- if you were truly all about helping out honest retailers, you'd shop strictly with independents. As it is, you don't look conscientious by saying "Lol gamestop sucks, shop wal-mart"

I have two words for you: Amazon Prime.

I buy so many more games than I used to, and I never even have to leave my house. I haven't set foot in an EBgames or Gamestop in a few years. On the rare occasion that Amazon doesn't have something in stock, either Circuit City or Best Buy usually will.

loosus

Banned
Why do they grab the discs for new games and stick them in a box, anyway? Is asking for an unopened new game too much?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Exactly how many people need to get screwed by "wall copies," pre-order fear tactics, magazine subscription pressure, paying a new price and getting a used disc and generally piss-poor register jockeys before they realize there are real, viable options for getting games outside of the Gamestop empire?

If the little slice of Americana you call your "hometown" has a Gamestop, there's probably a Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Circuit City nearby. You might even have a Toys 'R' Us! Hell, if you have a pulse you can get a credit card, so that opens up the online world to you as well!

There really is no reason why Gamestop needs to be your first choice for anything other than getting a token amount of money back for games you want to trade-in.

MoxManiac

xsarien said:
Exactly how many people need to get screwed by "wall copies," pre-order fear tactics, magazine subscription pressure, paying a new price and getting a used disc and generally piss-poor register jockeys before they realize there are real, viable options for getting games outside of the Gamestop empire?

If the little slice of Americana you call your "hometown" has a Gamestop, there's probably a Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Circuit City nearby. You might even have a Toys 'R' Us! Hell, if you have a pulse you can get a credit card, so that opens up the online world to you as well!

There really is no reason why Gamestop needs to be your first choice for anything other than getting a token amount of money back for games you want to trade-in.

Well, sadly those big chains often get niche games in much later than release date, or often not at all. Some games are impossible to find outside of dealing with gamestop.

Also, sometimes gamestop is the only option to get a game day one. I hate the chain but sometimes there's no alternative.

Top Bottom