• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead 2+3 Wii update- price and coverart...

PkunkFury

I haven't played Ghost Squad yet (I plan to pick it up for Xmas). Can anyone describe the calibration process? I imagine you just point at the upper and lower corner?

Diablohead said:
Ghost squad gives an option, aiming crosshair like normal or makes it invisable and plays a few tricks, but its far from a real lightgun.

have you played it? and on what size TV?

Here's the big question. If you can do proper lightun accuracy with a tiny sensor bar, why does the GunCon 3 use sensors on opposite sides of the screen? The latter is an extremely awkward proposition.

The main reason I can see is that if you place the optical targets on the side of the screen, you can then ensure that the player steps back far enough that the whole screen is in view of the controller. With the wii remote, the game could see the full sensor bar while you are up close to the TV, in which case, aiming to the far side of a large screen would require aiming away from the bar and you'd lose tracking. With the nodes on the side of the screen, you'd only lose tracking if you got really close to the screen and aimed at the center. Also, to aim at the corners of a large TV, you may have to move back to the point that the small sensor bar nodes become too close together.

I imagine Sega or someone else could release a new sensor bar that plugs in just like the old one, but allows you to split the optical nodes and place them at the edge of the screen. Doesn't look like this'll happen, though, as with all the lightgun releases in the pipeline, companies seem to think this is good enough

Stumpokapow said:
$30 is an acceptable price. Cover art is awful.

If SEGA does online leaderboards, well implemented co-op, 16:9 for both, and some sort of texture smoothing or other graphical improvements, I might pick it up.

dream on

AndoCalrissian said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was Riddick-quality, but it was definitely up there with the JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Very few Wii games match those early Xbox1 benchmarks.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Actually yes. It looked quite a bit nicer though(mainly because it was the first Sega PC game to support 3D cards). Though you could tell that the actual geometry was from the Saturn version(it was definitely a step down from the Model 2 original).

Sega simply has an easier time porting their PC games than their console releases. The port of Panzer Dragoon included with Orta was the PC version(another example). From what I've read about Sega they're horrible with holding on to code so they've lost a ton of work from a number of classic games. Thus for ports/remakes/collections/etc Sega usually has to use rom/emulators, PC ports, and so on.
Yeah, I remember reading that the code for Panzer Dragoon Saga was lost, so I believe you. I would think, though, that they would have the code for their classic arcade games. And correct me on this, but if they do have to use emulation, wouldn't the Wii at least be powerful enough to emulate a Model 2 game?

hclflow

PkunkFury said:
I haven't played Ghost Squad yet (I plan to pick it up for Xmas). Can anyone describe the calibration process? I imagine you just point at the upper and lower corner?

Yes, you shoot at the lower-right and upper-left corners of the screen. It works fairly well for line-of-sight accuracy at about 8 feet, which is how far away I am when I play. I had to rig a sight for my Zapper to assist with aiming though. Fucking Nintendo.

Overall, it's more than worth it to play Ghost Squad with a Zapper. It was the only thing I'd played for a few days until I stuck in Mass Effect this morning. No. 1 on the world leaderboard or bust!

twinturbo2 said:
And correct me on this, but if they do have to use emulation, wouldn't the Wii at least be powerful enough to emulate a Model 2 game?

I would hope so. Sega will find some way to screw it up though.

Lobster

Banned
Instigator said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say it was Riddick-quality, but it was definitely up there with the JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Very few Wii games match those early Xbox1 benchmarks.

3-b.jpg

twinturbo2 said:

Forgiven for not having HotD1.

I just got Ghost Squad today. Fun game, but it's no HotD2. Can't wait for the Wii version. I loved it on DC and I used the friggin' pad to play it.

After falling in love with playing Ghost Squad with the Zapper, I will be picking up EVERY Sega gun game that is made available on the Wii. The included calibration works really well on GS, so I imagine it can only stay the same or get better for HotD2/3.

hclflow

Count Dookkake said:
After falling in love with playing Ghost Squad with the Zapper, I will be picking up EVERY Sega gun game that is made available on the Wii. The included calibration works really well on GS, so I imagine it can only stay the same or get better for HotD2/3.

Seconded. After I experienced Ghost Squad with a Zapper, my hype skyrocketed for this genre on the Wii. GIVE ME MORE!

D-X

I hope we get a reasonable price in the UK and I don't mean 30 fucking POUNDS (like RE4) when it's £15 or so in the US. Ah who am I kidding - ok EU consumers bend over and think of England.

kinn

Should of had 1 in there too IMO. Just hope they polish up the graphics.

Bring on the Virtua Cop games!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Diablohead said:
Ghost squad gives an option, aiming crosshair like normal or makes it invisable and plays a few tricks, but its far from a real lightgun.

4 looks like a game between last gen and this gen, not to sound rude to the wii but it might suffer when ported.

Well, I tossed tons of coins at 4 at the arcade and I think I can safely say the Wii could handle a nice looking SD version of the game without any problem, it's not like HotD4 graphically trumps RE:UC, not at all.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I would hope so. Sega will find some way to screw it up though.
Three years ago, I would have agreed with you, but Sega Rally Revo and Virtua Fighter 5 say that Sega is turning the proverbial corner here...
Dash Kappei said:
Well, I tossed tons of coins at 4 at the arcade and I think I can safely say the Wii could handle a nice looking SD version of the game without any problem, it's not like HotD4 graphically trumps RE:UC, not at all.
I may have to give HOTD4 a spin again so see if you're right. Looking at pictures of the game and looking at games like Super Mario Galaxy could suggest that you're right here...
kinn said:
Should of had 1 in there too IMO. Just hope they polish up the graphics.

Bring on the Virtua Cop games!
Don't forget Confidential Mission. :D

I really hope that all the HotD/VC/TC/Police 911/other random lightgun games come to PSN in the future, I want more use out of the awesome Guncon 3.

D-X

twinturbo2 said:
I may have to give HOTD4 a spin again so see if you're right. Looking at pictures of the game and looking at games like Super Mario Galaxy could suggest that you're right here...

here's some HOTD4 gameplay

Chapter 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyOGX67BjQ

Chapter 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIiEiApW7_I&feature=related

Chapter 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYzf6WiXZl8&feature=related

Chapter 6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nS-S2qh0eE&feature=related

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mindlog said:
The Shovelware Revolution.

I don't consider a port of two of the best light gun games ever deserving of being called shovelware."

It's $30 for two awesome awesome games. Why complain?

The thing that impresses me the most about Ghost Squad is just how deep it is.
When you first pick it up it's a pretty easy game. Unless you have a nasty habit of shooting civilians in the face you'll more than likely 1 credit the game no problem.

However the real challenge in the game is the scoring system. Shooting terrorists is one thing but there are number of bonuses attached to each kill depending on when and where you shoot them. Killing enemies early gets a bonus for speed, while nailing them in the head gives another bonus. Taking out multiple guys with one shot(like with say..a shotgun or a rifle) adds another bonus. Hell there's even a bonus for "two in the chest, one in the head".

Throw that in with the mission-based gameplay that gets more difficult and varied with each level and you have one of the deepest lightgun shooters around. IMO it's a required purchase for fans of the genre.

Zoc

To all the people asking for 16 by 9: think about it a little. There are two ways they could do that. They could add space to the sides with background but no enemies, which would be meaningless, or they could change the placement of all the enemies in the game, making it a totally different game.

This is one case where black bars are totally preferable.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Zoc said:
To all the people asking for 16 by 9: think about it a little. There are two ways they could do that. They could add space to the sides with background but no enemies, which would be meaningless, or they could change the placement of all the enemies in the game, making it a totally different game.

This is one case where black bars are totally preferable.

There is no way they're adding 16:9.
They should totally redo the games, meaning it wouldn't be ports anymore (and a 30$ pricetag).

That's the same reason why Re:UC only offers letterbox 1.77:1 aspect ratio with black bars up and bottom even in 4:3 mode.

Lobster

Banned
Instigator said:
Quick port + developer past its prime + low-key franchise + Wii = lower your expectations.

What?

If the game is again handled by the team that did Ghost Squad, its safe to say we can higher our expectations.

Instigator said:
Quick port + developer past its prime + low-key franchise + Wii = lower your expectations.
Oh for fuck's sakes, SEGA is doing some of the best looking stuff on Wii and you're doubting they can make HotD3 for it? You need to go dunk your head in a bucket of tepid water and stop saying idiotic shit in an attempt to instigate people. First, however, you may need to remove your head from the cavernous bottom it's jammed inside of.

Lobster said:
What?

If the game is again handled by the team that did Ghost Squad, its safe to say we can higher our expectations.

Ghost Squad was not a perfect port.

You could argue most people haven't played HotD3 or Ghost Squad so the issue of a perfect port is moot for most, but that's not what you're saying.

Edit: ah, I see you're the forever optimistic Wii supporter:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209969

Just ignore what I said. :p

Terrell

Sega, do a Virtua Cop Trilogy for Wii. The world DEMANDS IT. Besides, it's not like ANOTHER Chihiro arcade board port would kill you. ;)

Lobster

Banned
Terrell said:
Sega, do a Virtua Cop Trilogy for Wii. The world DEMANDS IT. Besides, it's not like ANOTHER Chihiro arcade board port would kill you. ;)

That would be awesome. They don't have to upgrade graphics or anything, I'll still buy it.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Ravidrath said:
Screw the first one - should've come with Typing of the Dead, now that the Wii supports keyboards.

Terrell said:

Hells yes.

Scrubking

layzie1989 said:
30 dollar price makes the purchase of this much more reasonable...2 for dual wielding

[IMGhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JuvNxfVVL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYD7KW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

First of all that gun is selling for $14
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RP5UE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Everyone who posts a pic of a third-party gun that has the trigger on the front should just post a pic of the zapper since its the same thing. And the zapper comes with a free game.

Also looks like Nyko has jumped into the Wii gun game with the "Perfect Shot".
31d-tbiJKWL._AA280_.jpg

Banned
Instigator said:
Gee, can Wii even handle HotD3? It was a pretty sweet looking Xbox 1 game. I'm sure half-decent programmers can basically get it running, but I expect a visual downgrade.
Is this a joke?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why do people keep asking for Virtua Cop trilogy? Virtua Cop 3 has never been ported outside of arcades, the likely-hood of it being released in a trilogy before a stand-alone release is slim to none. First it'll be done on an engine built to port across multiple platforms (which is usually done on PC). I can see them porting Virtua Cop: Elite Edition to Wii though.

jj984jj said:
Why do people keep asking for Virtua Cop trilogy? Virtua Cop 3 has never been ported outside of arcades, the likely-hood of it being released in a trilogy before a stand-alone release is slim to none. First it'll be done on an engine built to port across multiple platforms (which is usually done on PC). I can see them porting Virtua Cop: Elite Edition to Wii though.
Well, light gun games not named Time Crisis haven't sold well at all in a long while, so unless the Wii proves to change this trend, I can't see them bothering at all, to be honest. I mean, VC3 on its own for $50? I'm imagining the backlash already, and VC doesn't deserve it. :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, light gun games not named Time Crisis haven't sold well at all in a long while, so unless the Wii proves to change this trend, I can't see them bothering at all, to be honest. I mean, VC3 on its own for $50? I'm imagining the backlash already, and VC doesn't deserve it. :/
They could do a stand-alone release for $30 (ala Ghost Squad).

jj984jj said:
They could do a stand-alone release for $30 (ala Ghost Squad).
Ghost Squad's doing more or less alright in Japan so far, to my surprise, so let's hope that gets some wheels turning. Rather annoying to have a version of VC unported.

Terrell

jj984jj said:
Well, I just figure it couldn't be hard to bring the PS2 port of Virtua Cop 1&2 over, as well, and in theory ,if it's the whole pack of them, a $50 charge could then be deemed acceptable. So rather than doing ONE for $30, just give us the whole series at a full cost. I'd buy it, and the playtime from all 3 versions is definitely enough to justify a pricetag like that.

Top Bottom