• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward ops to show PS4 footage for COD IGN vids- a series first since MS deal?

Mikey Jr.

Since every comment seems to create a s**tstorm, here goes.

Go back and read what I said – not other people’s *interpretation* of what I said.

I was getting a lot of tweets asking about the issue of resolution. I’ve seen the game, then I saw the PS4 footage, and I simply suggested that people wait for footage on both platforms to debate.

I’ve said this exact same thing on this forum several times. But nobody reads the posts, people then just start to assume things or read into things, or then call into question my honesty. Let’s put this to bed.

Here’s a fact that will blow your mind.

The guy that runs 3rd party relations for Xbox is one of my best friends. And we have to play this information game all the time. He has the utmost respect for the confidentiality of partner details. So I did call him and ask him, and he told me very directly “You don’t need to know”

End of conversation. End of speculation.

Nobody at MS will comment on this. Most people don’t know. This is Activision’s product, and it’s completely up to them on how/when they want to show this product, why they choose to roll-out their game in a certain way, and what platforms they choose to show on.

There is no point in lying about anything. If I did know, I would have just said “I can’t say”. You all would have gotten the same answer.

So please, let’s be careful on the “lying” and “obfuscation” memes around here. Read what I post. I ignore 99% of the insults here because they are clearly a result of people not actually reading.

That said, keep up the .gifs. Those I love.

Wouldn't it be in yours and Activisions best interest to work together and at least be able to confirm that the Xbox will have parity with the PS4? I don't think that is asking too much, especially for a game that the Xbox brand has been tied so closely together with.

Racer1977

It does.

You know there's a problem with a console when a game that doesn't push anything technically cant even hit the same resolution as the other console did with ease.

Its like Ghosts is the benchmark of what the "minimum" performance should be. If you cant even max out CoD, then what the fuck. lol
We've seen the Xbox One can deliver some nice looking games, that's not in doubt.

I don't know if it's more worrying a mediocre looking title like Ghost's is struggling to deliver 1080p or not. Does that not suggest there's something about the architecture of the console that limits performance, regardless of the graphical quality we see on screen?

Spongebob

Banned
The amount of spinning that Albert made about not being able to tell the difference between upscaled 1080p (from 720p) and native 1080p is quite telling....

I think that he's aware of XB1's version of COD: Ghosts being 720p. He obviously won't admit that's the case because it would make his previous statements regarding the disparity between the performance of the XB1 vs the PS4 look ridiculous.

I like Albert, and I believe he's being honest that he can't comment on the resolution.

That said, maybe they should get the person that's in charge of publisher relations to give some input. Being silent is not really doing them any favors. Might as well be straight with us.

Being silent is the best option they have. If they made a public statement it would be all over the news, but if they don´t talk all there is is rumors, and a minority of gamers that know what is happening.
How many gamers do you think understood PS4 stage "jab" this night on Brasil Event?

Just look at the numbers of the last call of duty, over 10 million just on Xbox.

There´s a lot at stake here, this is not an ordinary game.

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds like 720p to me. Why on earth would any publisher not want basic info made publicly available to their consumers, unless it's negative in nature.

Like I said it should be extremely simple:

Why doesn't Albert's 3rd Party Relations friend call Activision and ask what the native resolution of Xbox One version is? As Microsoft has partnered with them with Call of Duty, ask why they so willingly allowed Sony to reveal their native resolution and if they would not be willing to do the same for them.

If we get no word, we know the answer.

StuBurns

Banned
If he's telling the truth or not, he's seen the game, he should be able to tell. If he can't tell 1080p from 720p, he certainly shouldn't be talking about games looking 'amazing'.

Twio

Even if Penello is straight up lying. (Which he probably isn't, he just doesn't know and doesn't want to know, ignorance is bliss.)

There is very little reason to lash out at someone on Twitter like that. It's video games. But I guess mortimer thinks his e-penis is pretty important and his credibility is on the line or some bullshit like that.

Totally agree. There really isn't any reason for him to purposely be an ass towards him so I don't know what all the blatant disrespect is about on Mortimer's part. He needs to chill out.

Anth1888

So Microsoft want Activision to deliver the 'bad news' that the game is 720p and not themselves?

I can't get my head around that Sony's head of 3rd party relations can state that it is 1080p whilst Microsoft simply don't know or don't want to say. They should have dispelled this rumour days ago and finished the matter, everyday it's getting more and more believable.

krioto

Even if Penello is straight up lying. (Which he probably isn't, he just doesn't know and doesn't want to know, ignorance is bliss.)

There is very little reason to lash out at someone on Twitter like that. It's video games. But I guess mortimer thinks his e-penis is pretty important and his credibility is on the line or some bullshit like that.

Oh c'mon - albert isn't some delicate little flower that can't take the heat.

Stuff like this is the fun n games of new console launch!

So who runs 3rd party relations for Xbox?

I understand the way the game is played, but at the same time these are products that you can put money down for purchase right now. I think it is fair enough to be able to ask a question about technical details.

giantsx6

Banned
If it's not 1080P on the X1, I would blame Infinity Ward first. If Forza can be 1080P 60FPS and Ryse can be 900P and look great, how can a game that looks so bad be impossible to get 1080p? Just strange.

Can you please explain why though you are unable to use your position to ask why Sony was able to so easily confirm native resolution, and why you are not?

Amir0x I detailed that in this post

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86179612&postcount=8203

3rd party is a separate organization. Phil doesn't know. Most people don't know. That information is kept private.

"You don't need to know" doesn't mean anything. I get that from him all the time, whether it's good news or bad news.

I don't know how Sony sets up their publishing organization or why they are choosing to share.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Why doesn't Albert's 3rd Party Relations friend call Activision and ask what the native resolution of Xbox One version is? As Microsoft has partnered with them with Call of Duty, ask why they so willingly allowed Sony to reveal their native resolution and if they would not be willing to do the same for them.

I think we know the answer by now. The lack of a reply means that any real reply would be negative and it won't be said outright because it would be embarrassing.

Because it's 720p and they don't want to cause any damage to the brand or risk sales. We all know if it were 1080p they would have said so long ago to put this all to bed and move on. Rather than be honest with their fans they're going to hide the facts until near or after release when it's safe.

Keep in mind, folks, with the exception of BOII at the Wii U event and consumer footage (not media), it's been 6 years since we've seen CoD shown on a PlayStation platform before launch. The last time it happened was Call of Duty 4, before Microsoft jumped in bed with Activision.

Tamanon

Banned
If it's not 1080P on the X1, I would blame Infinity Ward first. If Forza can be 1080P 60FPS and Ryse can be 900P and look great, how can a game that looks so bad be impossible to get 1080p? Just strange.

1st versus 3rd party can give many explanations for the difference.

Anth1888

3rd party is a separate organization. Phil doesn't know. Most people don't know. That information is kept private.

"You don't need to know" doesn't mean anything. I get that from him all the time, whether it's good news or bad news.

I don't know how Sony sets up their publishing organization or why they are choosing to share.

Because they know it's native 1080p on their console and have chosen to share that information with their consumers?

Raist

Banned

Because it's BS, that's why.

Amir0x

Banned

As an individual then, do you believe personally that the fact those in that seperate organization are keeping mum for this long while Sony gleefully goes about saying "native 1080p" implies something negative?

As a gamer, completely dispassionately Albert, and without the dressing: do you as a person with an opinion believe that this indicates we shouldn't all be starting to draw some very real conclusions?

co1onel

Wouldn't it be in yours and Activisions best interest to work together and at least be able to confirm that the Xbox will have parity with the PS4? I don't think that is asking too much, especially for a game that the Xbox brand has been tied so closely together with.

It seems to me like they are already trying too hard to sell us on the xbox one having parity with the PS4. Most people at this point have no doubts that the PS4 is more powerful. Its hard to confirm parity when its not there, or at least that's what we can speculate from this situation.

MS needs to focus on its other features that would make it worthwhile over a PS4, and not commenting on the quality of a game on their platform vs another platform (which is not the same as lying) seems like the smart thing to do. We all know there is a reason they are keeping quiet, I don't really think it needs to be confirmed at this point.

RulkezX

I understand the way the game is played, but at the same time these are products that you can put money down for purchase right now. I think it is fair enough to be able to ask a question about technical details.

Brandon Powell ?

The fact that Activison nor MS haven't said anything at all pretty much confirms to me that this game is 720p on the X1. Is like someone is waiting to see who takes blame for it first.

I get what you're all trying to say, But I think most future Xbone owners just don't care. and frankly, I couldn't care less about what others spend their money on. If they want inferior multiplatform ports it's their choice. I just don't get what all the commotion is about.

it's already known the PS4 is more powerful so this was to be expect..

Those who plan to own it now, yes.But what about those who plan to buy it next year, or 2 years later?

Regardless of how CoD looks and plays, it remains one of the biggest franchises out there. If PS4 establishes the narrative that it's the superior platform for CoD, that can have a major impact on the casual gamers intending to pick-up a new console for CoD.

Honestly, this is both a hardware concern, as well as a PR concern. No one would've cared if it was some shitty, unknown game, but this is Call of Duty. The brand itself pulls it weight in impacting people's buying decisions.

Mikey Jr.

IGN shared first. They announced that all their footage for COD Ghosts would be on PS4 in 1080p.

Heysoos

I agree, people are putting down money here. If one company is now going official with the information and there's a lot of questions for the other, you can't blame the consumer for wanting to know. That said I hope we don't resort to insulting/trolling Albert when it's clear he can't personally tell us anything.

mitchman

Gold Member
Being silent is the best option they have. If they made a public statement it would be all over the news, but if they don´t talk all there is is rumors, and a minority of gamers that know what is happening.
How many gamers do you think understood PS4 stage "jab" this night on Brasil Event?

Just look at the numbers of the last call of duty, over 10 million just on Xbox.

There´s a lot at stake here, this is not an ordinary game.

This. If they have bad news, keep it secret and not make it a news headline everywhere. Sell those pre-orders first. Releasing bad news like this would gain them nothing, and would definitely harm sales. We won't know until the game is being reviewed. Speaking of which, when does the embargoes for launch games and consoles lift?

CSX

Because the people making forza and ryse don't have to take time and resources learning how to also develop on ps4 and make 5 other versions of the game

UNCMark

Banned

They're choosing to share because they know it's bad for you. That part is obvious. And whoever isn't sharing at Activision is most likely doing so because it's bad for them, which in turn is bad for you and you guys have a tight relationship. What's going on here isn't particularly surprising.

MilkBeard

That's what I thought... it just doesn't compute.

The rumor seems more and more likely after every tweet.

You would think IW would speak up and be like, "Hey, it's 1080p Native on XONE, and it looks great!"

But no, not even that. The silence is pretty deafening.

Vire

Penello: Why would they share that information with Sony and not Microsoft? Maybe you guys should be more involved with third party operations?

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe the X1 is harder to develop for, that could explain it. But COD doesn't look next gen at all, no excuse imo.

I imagine it could run into difficulties since it's a port. If the XBOne is tougher to port from 360 to, could explain the issues. Ryse and Forza are XBOne only, developed from the ground up.

Either way, it's probably the difficulty of using the system effectively. I imagine they'll be able to patch in a better performance down the road, but gotta hit street date.

Yep, I notice nobody went bitching at Kaz Hirai when Bayonetta ran like a dog on PS3 or Orange box was painful on Ps3.

No, but people used it an example of why multiplatform games are better on 360, and rightfully so.

Ps4 is just going to be better for multiplatform games.

JABEE

Waiting until people have already purchased the product is the approach Microsoft wants to take with this generation.

"People won't even care" seems to be the mantra of the Xbox One.

Revealing that Call of Duty is running at 720p is most definitely not part of the public relations plan. The reason there is no answer is that there is no positive answer.

It's better for Albert to just wait it out until the system is out. No reason to start fires before they need to happen. The Adam Orth fiasco already did enough damage.

Imagine a scenario where the Xbox One was revealed without any of the DRM information revealed. I bet you there would be less hostility towards all of the content of that conference.

Take one issue at a time. Don't inform consumers that they will be purchasing a empirically weaker version of a game before you have them buy-in.

No one needs "inferior third-party ports" to be their system's reputation.

Top Bottom