• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couchjockeyz rumor: MP3, DLNA coming in later PS4 firmware update

neshcom

Banned
About The Author
SaiyanKnight87 Hailing from Chicago, Illinois. Saiyanknight87 (aka Mista Official) is a lover of games. Games Ranging from the styles of Uncharted, Dragon-Ball, Street Fighter and RPG Classics such as Xenogears and FF-VII to name a few. Saiyanknight87 is an open-minded gamer, Anime Otaku and lover of Film. Saiyanknight has converted from free-lance video editing and various other web design projects into finding his way with the CouchJockeyz team to create and give insight on a wide range of events, games, and anything awesome!!!

Sounds like a seasoned, professional journalist.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Unless we get an actual confirmation, do you mind changing the thread title to better reflect it? It seems some people came in here expect things were confirmed, because the title doesn't reflect that it's a rumor from an unknown source...

Unless... you happen to know otherwise...?

No, that's a good point. Updated.

panty

I'll believe it when Yosp or someone reliable tells me.

I think it's coming tho, lol at ppl almost cancelling their pre-orders for this.

Maybe it just wasnt ready? Wanted to test peoples reaction on purpose? See if they could get away with it without people caring? I guess we will never know.

Its definitely weird to have not included those features , specifically MP3 and DLNA

the bolded is interesting, i've been wondering if it's a common practice. any marketing/advertising gaffers wanna chime in?

Tsundere

Banned
I told you this would happen, like, days ago.

I had a second confirmation last night so it'll come. It's just a shame they got Music Unlimited up first, but the appropriate backlash has at least gotten a couple of responses out of them rather than flat out ignoring it like they used to.

For both, actually [MP3+DLNA]. I wouldn't be shocked to see some priorities get shuffled because of this.

Why are people still doubting? Maybe this thread has finally run its course.

I've never heard of this site, so I won't put much stock into it.

Just as long as we get support within a reasonable time-frame, that will be good enough for me.

I'll believe it when it comes straight from Sony.

That said, I strongly believe this will happen. Why would they remove that feature when its predecessor and its competitors do it? No reason to take that away. The open, full media streaming on PS3 is secretly my favorite feature...so PS4 should continue that!

kyser73

the bolded is interesting, i've been wondering if it's a common practice. any marketing/advertising gaffers wanna chime in?

Since none of us have access to the FW update roadmap that Sony has for the PS4 it's nothing anyone can make an informed comment on.

Speculation about the reasons for it happening are just that - speculation. There is no hard evidence or fact about Sony's intentions, plans or anything else regarding an MP3 player (not support - presumably there is a codec in there since some games might use MP3 assets), DLNA or why they chose not to incorporate either/both in the first big FW update.

There are a number of scenario:

The music & picture divisions strong-arming Playstation into not allowing DLNA streaming (and this goes for mkv playback as well - NO ONE uses mkv containers for commercial releases) or MP3 playback for piracy/commercial reasons respectively.

Sony's own research and usage data from PS3 suggests that both MP3 playback and DLNA streaming are used by a minority of the PS3 userbase, and they weren't worth adding as a feature.

Getting PS4 out the door with a stable OS and running with the big gaming features - remote play for example - has a higher priority on the FW update roadmap than MP3/DLNA - again, possibly based on research, possibly for technical reasons (there seem to be an awful lot of expert systems coders & engineers on here who are qualified to comment on how easy both of these features are to develop - or not, as the case may be)

Sony r teh bastard capitalists & want to fuk uz all over and not allow feechurz.

My tuppence? I reckon both (certainly DLNA) were on the FW roadmap but when wasn't confirmed, and Sony's PR took the decision that rather than say 'Yes it's coming' they'd actually be honest about what PS4 can and can't do on Day1,

OH shit - and to answer you actual question - it happens in politics all the time with leaked policy discussions and stuff, and I'm fairly certain some industries/sectors do something along those lines to test the water on possibly controversial ideas, but again, it's speculative to say anything about it, and from a corporate perspective it would be an incredibly risky tactic, especially if user repeatedly, as people would start to doubt any messaging associated with your company.

PlayStation 1080.
He didn't see that coming!
fresh-prince-ethered-o.gif

pr0cs

My tuppence? I reckon both (certainly DLNA) were on the FW roadmap but when wasn't confirmed, and Sony's PR took the decision that rather than say 'Yes it's coming' they'd actually be honest about what PS4 can and can't do on Day1,

My concern is, why wouldn't they just simply say it then? "We will offer the same or better media functionality including MP3 and DLNA support but not at launch, it will be offered in a firmware update in the near future".
That would put all this to rest.

Companies like this sort of commentary, it costs them nothing up front, god knows both Sony and Microsoft have been guilty of this sort of 'in the future' commentary yet on DLNA and MP3 both have been very quiet.

Color me skeptical if either company plan on supporting media outside of their 'services' in the near future. Which is terrible as seriously limits many people's interest in their boxes, myself included.

daveo42

Banned
Still not sure why people think these features won't be included in the next firmware update. Sony messed up and didn't have enough time to get the OS up and running, so they focused more on new features they talked about instead of some of the old ones that were a part of the PS3.

It sucks, but this isn't "The PS4 will never support MP3 playback because Sony wants your money!", it's "The PS4 does not support MP3 playback at launch, along with Suspend/Resume..." and the other features not outlined in the FAQ. It's Sony's bad for not having it ready at launch, but it's not the end of the world people.

Krakn3Dfx

Can someone link the Kagari/Bish posts? I'm on mobile and can't seem to find them. Sorry for the trouble.

I talked to developer working on the PS4 right after hearing about this. He made a few calls and came back to let me know DLNA missed 1.5 FW cert, but was coming, he didn't mention MP3s, but I'm pretty sure there have been other sources verifying that's coming as well.

Here's the post from the FAQ thread. Confirmed the information with Kagari, who also got at least one more source confirming it's coming afterwards.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88088613&postcount=866

I know you had some info, I just was not sure if you where verified .......... if you have info to share then please do, it is appreciated.

Eh, that was just me posting a message to the wrong thread :).

rawd

If they came out and said, 'We wanted to make sure we had a rock solid firmware first for launch, and these features are coming later' .. I would have totally been okay with that. (if that was the truth, of course)

Shahed

DerZuhälter;88251501 said:
Quick question: How reliable or close to Sony sources is Kagari? Always thought he was close to SqEnix , first time I hear he got insights on Sony. Any other precedents where he spilled the beans on Sony stuff?

She's a journalist that will have contacts in several places, even if Square Enix is her main focus

pr0cs

I talked to developer working on the PS4 right after hearing about this. He made a few calls and came back to let me know DLNA missed 1.5 FW cert, but was coming,
Crazy, why the hell wouldn't they just tweet this then?
They'll tweet useless shit but not something like this.

kyser73

My concern is, why wouldn't they just simply say it then? "We will offer the same or better media functionality including MP3 and DLNA support but not at launch, it will be offered in a firmware update in the near future".
That would put all this to rest.

Companies like this sort of commentary, it costs them nothing up front, god knows both Sony and Microsoft have been guilty of this sort of 'in the future' commentary yet on DLNA and MP3 both have been very quiet.

Color me skeptical if either company plan on supporting media outside of their 'services' in the near future. Which is terrible as seriously limits many people's interest in their boxes, myself included.

It's a lose-lose situation from a PR perspective tho - say that 'Yes, it's definitely coming.' and you just get endless 'Why didn't you put it in now? When is it coming? I WANT TO KNOW NOW GODDAMMIT!' stuff for weeks, possibly months (and the longer it goes on, the more the message becomes 'Well, it's obviously NOT coming, they're just a bunch of big far liars.') and this takes community/PR people's attention away from their main tasks, or you don't say anything and end up with the situation you've got now - which consists largely of the same commentary (Big fat liars, why not in now, when coming, you not tell me nuff bout nuttin sony).

When you're dealing with a community that overreacts in the way some of the comments made here suggest, it's like dealing with a small child or a teenager - there is no answer you can give, honest or dishonest, that will make the shouting stop.

rawd said:
If they came out and said, 'We wanted to make sure we had a rock solid firmware first for launch, and these features are coming later' .. I would have totally been okay with that. (if that was the truth, of course)

You would never, ever say this in a press release. It's vague and carries with it the suggestion that adding these features might destabilise the OS.

My cred in marketing/PR? Media planner/buyer for 10 years, CIPR diploma & my wife is a Press, Strategic Comms planningand Digital Comms Manager for a major UK government department with an MA in PR & ex-journo & government PR person from Australia. SO I'm not just spouting uninformed bollocks about this stuff.

Hyunashi

Well assumeing its good info (on top of what Kagari has implied) the next thing will be custom wallpapers for people that care for that stuff.

Cant wait.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
They've never been in the habit of sharing much of the roadmap for future firmware updates, until the updates are basically ready to release and set in stone.

Woffls

Of course it's going to be patched in later, but this is just the kind of approach to software design that Sony had last gen and XMB suffered for it.

Everything felt like an after-thought, and that means there will be limitations. It can't be overstated how important software is, and Sony are doing it wrong again.

Motwera

Banned
I just posted a twitter post to @yosp asking the same exact question..
to reconfirm/debunk the rumor, I don't usually trust shoddy sites like Couchjockeyz, because it closed to people from spreading the right info via it, while my site isn't (3WORLD!)

Get as many people to sign up to music unlimited as possible before announcing DLNA and MP3 playback. I still think they will gimp local MP3 playback by not allowing playlists and such in the player forcing people to either get a MU subscription if they want that or use DLNA which is not really for the faint of heart.

Raistlin

I suspect that is the case. That said, companies typically aren't forthcoming with future update details.

Obviously there are bigger fish to fry with the launch and initial firmware updates. These are all 'nice to haves', but direct gameplay affecting features are obviously the long-pole.

dose

The music & picture divisions strong-arming Playstation into not allowing DLNA streaming (and this goes for mkv playback as well - NO ONE uses mkv containers for commercial releases) or MP3 playback for piracy/commercial reasons respectively.
I don't think this scenario you list would be true, some of Sony's TVs and Bluray players play mkvs.

Jburton

Banned
If some random website posts a rumor that is good news for PS4, obviously it's truthfact..

Read the thread!

I mean how many people are going to come in here playing some sort of fanboy card of indignation about this news.

Yes that site is not known, their time frame has not been confirmed ........... but two of the most reliable types on this forum have stated that it is coming, in fact I suspect this site has taken information from the other thread here on GAF and added their own conjecture.

Read the fucking thread before going off on your nonsense.

kyser73

I don't think this scenario you list would be true, some of Sony's TVs and Bluray players play mkvs.

Weird thing? I've got two mates who's PS3 Slims (with the Singstar app) play mkvs.

If I can be arsed I'm going to take a picture of one over the weekend and up it, if these threads are still live.

Do you know which models/territories those BD players are in?

Top Bottom