• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition PC port locked to 720p, no gfx options (nm, Durante fixed it)

Spoo

It's great that Durante's fixes have been so good for this, but unfortunately the core game is so fucked up, that it's a waste of his considerable talent.

I've had every single fucking bug that's been reported in this game: black menu screens (forces alt-tab to "fix"), audio looping bug, crashes during cutscenes, crashes during car usage, 2-minute long load times (up from 8 seconds after their 125mb "patch") and... and I can't do it anymore. It's not worth it to go through the pain of trying to play a game knowing that on the other side is, well, not a very good game to begin with. That part may be some of that "charm", but getting to it has been anything but charming. This is, quite honestly, the worst release I've ever seen for a game that still exists on the Steam store. I don't understand how it's still available for sale.

golem09

Neo Member
It's great that Durante's fixes have been so good for this, but unfortunately the core game is so fucked up, that it's a waste of his considerable talent.

I've had every single fucking bug that's been reported in this game: black menu screens (forces alt-tab to "fix"), audio looping bug, crashes during cutscenes, crashes during car usage, 2-minute long load times (up from 8 seconds after their 125mb "patch") and... and I can't do it anymore. It's not worth it to go through the pain of trying to play a game knowing that on the other side is, well, not a very good game to begin with. That part may be some of that "charm", but getting to it has been anything but charming. This is, quite honestly, the worst release I've ever seen for a game that still exists on the Steam store. I don't understand how it's still available for sale.

you can fix the black menu screen just by pressing ALT twice quickly, but only if you don't use the borderless windowed mode.
And I think I've heard that most crashes disappear after a windows reboot.

But yeah, the bugs suck hard in this game.

puzl

Banned
For all its faults, the original 360 version of this game is still one of my favourites. It was also very stable and I never had any bugs in my 30+ hour playthrough.

Honestly, I'd hold off playing this game on PC until it gets patched up (if it even does) and the major game-killing bugs are fixed. It's a wonderful game, but in it's current state, you'd end up just being too frustrated and concentrate on all the negatives instead of the positives that this game has to offer.

parabolee

For all its faults, the original 360 version of this game is still one of my favourites. It was also very stable and I never had any bugs in my 30+ hour playthrough.

Honestly, I'd hold off playing this game on PC until it gets patched up (if it even does) and the major game-killing bugs are fixed. It's a wonderful game, but in it's current state, you'd end up just being too frustrated and concentrate on all the negatives instead of the positives that this game has to offer.

The thing is that some of us are barely getting any bugs. I have had the car crash one once and a reboot fixed it. Other than that it has been fine. So it seems everyone's milage varies.

What Os are you on? I'm on Windows 8.1

EDIT- Also I found another bug in DPfix. When driving you can zoom the map by pressing the map button. The zoomed map is out of place like the small one was.

https://db.tt/YBf7tWc2

Nishastra

Banned
I've had crashes, but not consistent ones, and only in the middle parts of the game?

Early on everything was fine and towards the end everything was fine. Just crashed a few times late in Episode 2 and at the beginning of 3.

I'm at the end of the game now. I've completed the story, just need to go back and get the side missions/cards I missed.

That would be awesome. :) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27016227/dp.sav It starts right with the cutscene that crashs the game (I hope it's not a problem with the savefile itself). But don't forget to backup your own file....

Here you go dude. It crashed for me the first time, so I tried setting compatibility mode to windows 98/ME(lol) since this was a ps2 game, and then after a couple tries loading the game, it let me play. I skipped the cutscene as fast as I could and saved at the phone in the parking lot.

Hope it works for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65208274/dp.sav

Any word from Rising Star about a patch? I'm getting crashes all over the place and one that even locked up my entire PC and had to manually restart, it's been a really frustrating week for PC gaming, between this and Battlefield 4 I can't seem to play anything without a crash...

Hey guys,

Started playing today and noticed that every character texture except York's was very low res, like it hadn't rendered in properly. Any one else come across this bug, or know what might have caused it. I took a cursory look around the game files and tried the Durante DP fix but they still look like the image below.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191493758

*Edit

No worries everyone, turns out i'd been fiddling with my Catalyst settings and turned mipmap and texture filtering down, and then forgotten. A cautionary tale.

At this point the publisher should fly Durante to where there is a computer with the source code on it so he can fix it over the weekend, collect a check, and fly back home. That way he can stop wasting so much time on fixing their game for free when it could most likely be done much easier.

parabolee

Sure would like to use a controller to play this game, yeah boy.

I have a good profile for Xpadder and Pinnacle if you want -

DeadlyPremonitionPinnacle.PNG

Pinnacle -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3846292/Deadly Premonition.pin

Xpadder -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw0t_nR_VVTeZVFoMzc4NXE3TFE/edit?usp=sharing

When holding X to accelerate the car it adds turn signals to the bumpers. And when holding aim it adds lock on to the right bumper.

The Pinnacle profile even includes an ALT layout that sets mouse turning on the left stick while stile using up and down to walk. Emulating analogue movement and controlling more like the Xbox version.

puzl

Banned
I have a good profile for Xpadder and Pinnacle if you want -

DeadlyPremonitionPinnacle.PNG

Pinnacle -

Xpadder -

When holding X to accelerate the car it adds turn signals to the bumpers. And when holding aim it adds lock on to the right bumper.

The Pinnacle profile even includes an ALT layout that sets mouse turning on the left stick while stile using up and down to walk. Emulating analogue movement and controlling more like the Xbox version.

Thanks, but you can't use that Pinnacle profile with DPfix whilst the joystick bug fix is enabled in the ini, as the B button doesn't work (and a few others from my initial testing with it)

It works fine without DPfix, but then I get the scroll bug. Any way around this?

derExperte

Here you go dude. It crashed for me the first time, so I tried setting compatibility mode to windows 98/ME(lol) since this was a ps2 game, and then after a couple tries loading the game, it let me play. I skipped the cutscene as fast as I could and saved at the phone in the parking lot.

Hope it works for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65208274/dp.sav

Ah, you're the best (okay, maybe Durante is, but you know what I mean...). :) Thx, it crashed after the next cutscene but the 98/ME trick did help. Now I'm wondering if I tried that setting before or just the other ones and it might have helped with the first crash too?

puzl

Banned
Also, you probably already know about it Durante, but the map is all screwy in the menu/map screen. I have only tested it indoors for now:

B9AdyT9.jpg

Grief.exe

From the PR managers, it seems they are working on a fix for the game.

Durante

Yeah, all the map stuff is fixed in the current (unreleased) version -- or at least, the minimap, the large overlay map and the main menu map are fixed, who knows if there are even more.

I'd like to get to a part of the game where I can test (and hopefully fix) the multi-perspective rendering issues, but I now have a repeatable crash :/ (It's at after loading following the battle at the hospital entrance)

golem09

Neo Member
Yeah, all the map stuff is fixed in the current (unreleased) version -- or at least, the minimap, the large overlay map and the main menu map are fixed, who knows if there are even more.

I'd like to get to a part of the game where I can test (and hopefully fix) the multi-perspective rendering issues, but I now have a repeatable crash :/ (It's at after loading following the battle at the hospital entrance)

Most crash should stop recurring after a windows restart.
Just a wild guess, but would it be possible for you to scale the map? The map showing a way too small area (every map that is, the menu map should theoretically zoom out to the full map for ultimate comfort) has always been a major criticism. So if you would scale the mini and big overlay maps to cover say, 100% more than they currently do, and the menu map to about 1000% more, you would be the eternal hero of all DP players.

Durante

Changing the map zoom level from the DirectX interceptor level is almost impossible, sadly. I agree that it's silly they give you zoom control at all, when the most zoomed out level is actually what you'd expect the most zoomed in to be.

Oh, and now the new part of my tag is no longer a complete mystery to me!
desktop_2013_11_03_00nnspg.jpg

parabolee

Thanks, but you can't use that Pinnacle profile with DPfix whilst the joystick bug fix is enabled in the ini, as the B button doesn't work (and a few others from my initial testing with it)

It works fine without DPfix, but then I get the scroll bug. Any way around this?

Very odd. Works perfectly for me. With or without DPfix. Never got the scroll bug either though.

Why would that be? I have my official wired 360 pad plugged into a rear usb port. No idea if that effects it. Worth a try though.

Also the joystick disable in DPfix should have no effect on Xpadder or Pinbacle as they intercept the controller input directly and convert to button/mouse controls the game disabling controller input should irrelevant.

Any ideas Durante?

Foaloal

Good news about the map fixes, I think that's all the places that it's used.

If you can't get the game to go passed the hospital one of us could always share our save or you could download the one above and play chapter 5 that way, but it would be nice if the game could not crash long enough for you to play it normally.

Thanks again for your continuing efforts.

Very odd. Works perfectly for me. With or without DPfix. Never got the scroll bug either though.

Why would that be? I have my official wired 360 pad plugged into a rear usb port. No idea if that effects it. Worth a try though.

Also the joystick disable in DPfix should have no effect on Xpadder or Pinbacle as they intercept the controller input directly and convert to button/mouse controls the game disabling controller input should irrelevant.

Any ideas Durante?

It's pretty strange that you never experienced the scrolling bug, but you're right that DPFix shouldn't be affecting xpadder or pinnacle.

If you're running DP as admin, you have to run xpadder as admin too.

Other than that I don't know why it wouldn't be working for Puzl, as I'm able to use xpadder perfectly since DPFix 0.2 came out.

Nishastra

Banned
I have completely completed the game, now. Seems the "get every achievement" achievement is... unachievable, because I have every achievement except for that one.

I noticed another bug. The trails of zombies out in the world are still up and to the left, apparently it's separate from indoor zombies.

Durante

If you can't get the game to go passed the hospital one of us could always share our save or you could download the one above and play chapter 5 that way, but it would be nice if the game could not crash long enough for you to play it normally.
I restarted and enabled Windows 98 compatibility mode (both things I wouldn't normally do since I usually consider them placebos), and since then the game has worked for me without a hitch. I just reached the scene in question, but it doesn't look as simple to fix as one might hope. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, since it's half past 4 here now.

Oh, and now that it's no longer crashing I'm actually really enjoying the game.

I noticed another bug. The trails of zombies out in the world are still up and to the left, apparently it's separate from indoor zombies.
I never encountered those so far, I'll have a look when I do.

Mr. Desu

I have completely completed the game, now. Seems the "get every achievement" achievement is... unachievable, because I have every achievement except for that one.

You couldn't believe it with your own two eyes when you find out the difference between the outdoor zombie and the indoor zombie.

1 trick zombie doctors don't want you to know!

I restarted and enabled Windows 98 compatibility mode (both things I wouldn't normally do since I usually consider them placebos), and since then the game has worked for me without a hitch. I just reached the scene in question, but it doesn't look as simple to fix as one might hope. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, since it's half past 4 here now.

I'm glad you're enjoying. Is one of my favorite games this gen, seriously.

I'll grab this port once is cheap enough since I played the 360 version, but you're efforts will be more than welcome once I play it. ^^

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if they changed any of the product textures inside the milk barn again? I was going to check earlier but I forgot and now I am away from my laptop.

parabolee

No update tonight? Was hoping fir the map fix since its the only issue left that bothers me. The split screen bit is still playable and are short, few and far between.

Thanks again for your incredible work!

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Pinnacle -

Xpadder -

Anything on MotioninJoy? I've got a DS3 here.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well waiting has come in handy! Good to know this for when I finally go through this version.

It's nice that you're enjoying the game. :D

puzl

Banned

Any ideas Durante?

I do have a very quirky setup. I use a PS3 dual shock pad, emulating the 360 controller via Better DS3 (wireless) which I then use Pinnacle with to further emulate another controller for Deadly Premonition!

It works fine in most instances, but the B/O button refuses to work when I use either of your profiles (with joystick disabled in DPfix) and obviously this is a game-killer for me. The actual mouse emulation on the right analogue stick is near-perfect though. I wonder what could be causing the issue...

parabolee

So glad you are enjoying the game. You deserve it.

One tip I would give all new players is to complete the "nameless flower" sidequest as soon as possible. It will give you a radio that you can use to fast travel to any location you have been to or peeked into.

Find the flower on the map whenever it is raining (appears all over) and talk to George when he us at home and the notepad shows by his name.

The driving is terrible and mixed with the horrible map it really becomes a massuve choir. The radio alleviates that.

golem09

Neo Member

:eek:
I had hoped you would release the complete map fix by this evening. Would be cool. :)

EDIT
Ok, you just did :D

Durante

I just released version 0.5.

It's pretty neat, if I may say so myself:
  • Fixed additional map locations/sizes for main menu map and large overlay map
  • Fixed positioning and size in scenes with 2 viewpoints being shown (also fixed size of their storage buffers)
  • Fixed enemy shadow trails on the world map at night
  • Added anti-aliasing support (FXAA and SMAA1x supported, see DPfix.ini to enable)
  • Added texture dumping and overriding functionality (works as it did in DSfix)

desktop_2013_11_03_15dqsvx.jpg

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I just released version 0.5

• Fixed positioning and size in scenes with 2 viewpoints being shown (also fixed size of their storage buffers)
  • Added anti-aliasing support (FXAA and SMAA1x supported, see DPfix.ini to enable)

1nSKDGs.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was actually wondering about the sections of the game when there's two screens running for the fix, so nice to know you are on top of it Durante~

Hugstable

Banned
I just released version 0.5.

You are seriously a god among men. Thank you Durante!

Durante

Does that part still run with a horrible 20fps-ish framerate as it did in the console versions?
Actually, I assume it ran at 15 on consoles. I was really surprised when I inspected the render pipeline for those. They are not rendering the 2 images at the same time, they are just updating them alternatingly. So, if you have the game v-synced at 60 they'll update at 30 FPS each.

If you run the game with triple-buffering they'll run as fast as your system can render, which was like ~110 FPS (55 fps for each perspective) on my system at 2560x1440.

Top Bottom