• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So who wants a new MS/Nokia Ngage?

With MS buying the Nokia Devices and Services division, they now own what was once a portable handheld console manufacturer.

Now imagine for one second that Microsoft is not going to gut and throw away Nokia like Danger, or Rare, or Ensemble, or... you get the drift. Instead, they revive the Ngage concept and flesh it out into the ultimate Cellphone/Handheld portable the world will ever see.

Who would buy such a device? Would it monitor everything you say as you play CoD on it and feed it to the NSA? Would Sidetalking make it's triumphant return?

knitoe

Nope. Portable handheld market will get smaller and smaller while cellphone mark gets bigger and bigger. Why enter a sinking ship. Microsoft will continue to go after the cellphone market instead.

Derpcrawler

No.Please no.

I did own N-Gage, still feel salty that I bought that. It was horrible phone and horrible handheld.

What with the iOS and Play store, not to mention stuff like the MOGA, Isn't the concept of a phone/handheld hybrid redundant at this point? Or did the Xperia Play fail for a different reason?

Hmmm. I see no reason to bring back the NGage name, but a Nokia/Microsoft handheld might be A-OK. Probably something streaming-centric.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty confident smartphones will one day replace handhelds and consoles, anyways. Play it on the go via the touch screen or controller dock, and then plug it into your TV at home and get the big screen experience. Whether or not Microsoft / Nokia are the first to push that transition, I don't really care.

Remember how with the N-gage, you had to open the battery compartment and take out the battery in order to change out the game? And how the speaker and microphone were on the rim of the phone, so you had to hold the system up to your head sideways to hold a conversation? That thing was supposed to be the "the ultimate Cellphone/Handheld portable the world had ever seen", but instead turned out to be the Homer of phones.

7fTN4Ah.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A bit more software focus on games wouldn't hurt?

Eg build in remote play for xbox one and possibly PC games, add controller support etc.

There is definitely some potential here. It won't be called Ngage though. It's either Lumia something something, or Surface something something.

RM8

I'll be that person to admit I owned a N-Gage, and I enjoyed it, lol. It was obviously a joke compared to GBA, but I think it was an okay phone with a couple of decent games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I wanted an N-Gage for that military combat game that looked a generation beyond whatever else was available on phones.

Also, the N-Gage had an Xbox Live like network which other portable systems didn't even thought of implementing. I really wish I had an N-Gage.

Just because Nokia's half-assed attempt however many years ago failed miserably doesn't mean the concept of the N-gage itself was untenable. For one thing, the iPhone and every smartphone since have already at least partially done what the N-gage was trying to do. But I've actually been hoping for awhile that Sony would take things a step further and create a Vita phone, and Microsoft creating an Xbox phone would be great as well. (Sony doesn't do too well these days at creating new niches in the marketplace they just follow so Microsoft or Apple making a hardcore gaming handheld phone would probably make it more likely a Vita phone would be released.)

The N-gage failed for so many reasons, but two that stick out immediately are because the hardware of the time just wasn't ready and because Nokia wasn't a gaming company. Neither of those problems are nearly as fatal now.

Modern smartphones cram much more advanced hardware into a much smaller package than the N-gage. The only remaining issue is that the marketplace continually moves towards thinner and lighter phones, which means it could be hard to get physical controls into a phone. Personally I would like to see the sliding form factor make a return, but I don't know that many others would. Physical controls are also a must for this product to exist conceptually. Otherwise it's just another smartphone.

And while Nokia was not a gaming company, Sony and Microsoft certainly are. Much more than Apple or Google, at least. A gaming handheld phone from Sony or Microsoft could hopefully attract developers. The problem is that Sony's existing gaming handheld doesn't really attract developers, and Microsoft has never created such a product. Regardless, they would have a better shot than Nokia did back then. I think it would help if the Microsoft handheld ran Windows Phone or the Sony handheld ran Android, to give them a range of games right out of the gate (a significantly smaller range for the Windows Phone handheld, admittedly.) One issue is that there's not a lot of overlap between AAA developers in the west and PSV/3DS developers. Most quality handheld games still come from Japanese developers, who might not want to go to a Microsoft device. So Sony might be a better bet, except most of them don't go for Vita either.

There are still lots of benefits. If this device is a phone, that means it can be had with subsidies, and so Sony or Microsoft would be able to create a $600 or $800 device, because people would only be paying $100 or so up front for it.

In all seriousness, would anyone actually buy a phone with a dpad, 2-4 dedicated side gaming buttons and 2 shoulder buttons? Game cards could come in a customized microSD card format, or simply downloaded like traditional cellphone games.

Microsoft has the advantage of owning their own portable OS unlike Sony and with their own hardware division they COULD potentially create a dedicated hybrid gaming/communication device that could set themselves apart in the market.

Of course, knowing Microsoft it would never happen but the pieces are all there. Call it the Lumia X, make sure the tech isn't outdated the day it releases, develop more than just knockoff cellphone games for it and who knows, it might just be the killer flagship that isn't yet another iphone wannabe competing on specs.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
In all seriousness, would anyone actually buy a phone with a dpad, 2-4 dedicated side gaming buttons and 2 shoulder buttons?
Nope. That's why it needs to be touch screen only, with a SKU that comes with an official controller dock.

Nope. That's why it needs to be touch screen only, with a SKU that comes with an official controller dock.

No one would carry around a separate dock just to be able to play games on their phone. It has to be built into the phone, otherwise it's just another kinect.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
No one would carry around a separate dock just to be able to play games on their phone. It has to be built into the phone, otherwise it's just another kinect.
Yeah, I don't expect people to carry it around, but I also don't expect people to want to carry around a giant phone that gets most of its bulk from buttons, sticks, grips, etc. Most people would just use the controller dock at home, either while playing on their phone's screen or on their TV.

Bradach

The Ngage was a technological abomination. I would have nothing to do with any product of the same or similar name.

Yeah, I don't expect people to carry it around, but I also don't expect people to want to carry around a giant phone that gets most of its bulk from buttons, sticks, grips, etc. Most people would just use the controller dock at home, either while playing on their phone's screen or on their TV.

Shoulder buttons would not take up much room. Physical buttons, if arranged vertically are not big, although they would probably be limited to 2 or 3. A dpad the size of the one in the DS lite is not that big. Sticks and grips are not necessary.

The phone itself would not be big, especially if the screen is 4:3. It would however be ugly.

Remember how with the N-gage, you had to open the battery compartment and take out the battery in order to change out the game? And how the speaker and microphone were on the rim of the phone, so you had to hold the system up to your head sideways to hold a conversation? That thing was supposed to be the "the ultimate Cellphone/Handheld portable the world had ever seen", but instead turned out to be the Homer of phones.

well they did fix these issues with the second model.

Nokia-N-Gage-QD-01.gif

I would be up for a proper phone with a dpad sure, but a dedicated "ngage" platform is doomed to fail so it would have to be android only and support those games that support dpads :p

(buut they should just fuhgeddaboutit and release Pathway to Glory on other platforms!)
pathway-glory.jpg

Nikodemos

Or did the Xperia Play fail for a different reason?
The Xperia Play failed because PlayStation Mobile was a dud. Devices with a 'closed garden' app/game marketplace that dies are, as a rule, failures.

Sony finally decided to drop the issue (they waived the publisher licence fee in May) but it's way too late for the poor Xperia Play. And it wasn't a bad concept or design either.

Sorral

I loved the second model. I enjoyed playing on it a lot, putting emulators on it and I really liked rooting and playing with that Symbian version.Man, as much as I liked the multimedia on the Sony Ericsson phones (including the sound on the walkman ones) back then, that Ngage will always be dear to me. ;-;

Now though? I would actually love a new version of the Xperia Play with a updated hardware and better battery life though as I really don't want to deal with a Windows/Nokia phone.

Nikodemos

Now though? I would actually love a new version of the Xperia Play with a updated hardware and better battery life though as I really don't want to deal with a Windows/Nokia phone.

The new Xperia Play v2 should use haptic feedback pads in place of those weird segmented trackpad-dy things the previous Play used.

Top Bottom