• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
And it looks the story is done.

screenshot2013-11-092dry00.png

Sure, you can call me Larry. As I noted, things are not ready. Also, he was not banned (his gamertag and Xbox 360 are not impacted) his console was just blocked from signing in. When things are ready, he'll get on early - that is what I am working on.

Microsoft quote from Engadget, sounds like he's gonna get unbanned closer to launch:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/09/e...x-one-details/

Update 3: A Microsoft spokesperson tells Engadget that the Xbox One consoles some consumers received by accident well ahead of launch on November 22nd cannot access Xbox Live until closer to launch. The statement says: "Due to a retail partner's system issue, a very small number of Xbox One consoles were shipped to consumers before the November 22 street date. We're pleased to see the initial response to Xbox One has been so positive, but given we are still putting the finishing touches on our games, UI and online services, as well as confidential partner and media agreements, these consoles units will be restricted from connecting to Xbox Live until closer to our launch date."

THE STORY SO FAR IN BRIEF:

1. Guy gets an Xbox One Friday evening, because Target fucked up
  2. Posts a bunch of details with highly positive reaction
  3. Couple folks on Twitter advise him not post any gameplay, he agrees to wait
  4. More folks on Twitter start tweeting that he has the console and is answering questions
  5. Couple media outlets pick up that he's spewing details
  6. He posts an unboxing video to YouTube
  7. Microsoft takes unboxing video down with a copyright strike, asking for proof of purhcase
  8. He responds to said email with proof of purchase
  9. People start tweeting to him how his was wronged
  10. Talks about suing MS
  11. Hours of people upset over unboxing video taken down
  12. Dude emails MS to see when/if the unboxing video can go back up
  13. More bitching from people about video being taken down
  14. Dude jokes he "might sue them lol"
  15. Around midnight his console gets banned from XBL, but not his account
  16. Dude contacts @Microsoft to explain, tweets @Microsoft several times with no response
  17. People get in an uproar over how he was wronged, they suggest to sue
  18. Dude stays calm, says he will go straight to MS
  19. People go back to being raged about the unboxing video being taken down
  20. Dude goes to sleep
  21. Major Nelson joins the GAF thread and says he's going to try to resolve it
  22. GAF still kind of in uproar

---------------------------

UPDATE:

The update is already up for download?!

Fi57SHr.png

He told me update is 500MB.

Ghosts: 39GB

Skylanders: 15GB

Madden 25: 12GB

LocoCycle: 13GB

Zumba Fitness: 24GB

Dead Rising 3: 19GB

NBA 2K14: 43GB

NBA LIVE: 9GB

Forza 5: 31GB

FIFA 14: 8GB

Assassin's Creed IV: 20GB

Just Dance 2014: 22GB

Ryse: 34GB

---------------------

Stolen from the PS4 'when will someone break street date thread'

Someone is selling it on eBay, of course, it looks fully genuine and they show the Target receipt from the box.

A few weird things:

1) How are they shipping standard consoles before Day One editions?

2) All this stuff is run by computers, how hard is it for the computer to check a date before accepting a shipment?

Of course the required update is probably not up yet, so interesting to see if anyone bites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261324380642

Fandangox

If true that's just gonna make the waiting worse for that person since that console won't be able to do anything until the update goes live.

Toki767

A starting bid of almost $1,000. To not be able to use the box. I bet someone will be stupid enough to bite.

The servers might have the patch up early, no? Or is it confirmed it won't appear until the 22nd? Not that I'm saying being the only person in America downloading the patch early would be a WISE move...

Rocky

Banned
Does this idiot honestly believe anyone would pay him 10K for his Xbone? Especially when it won't work for another 2 weeks? Hell, why would he even think anyone would pay 1k for it? He even defaced the box, crossing out the serial numbers.

The servers might have the patch up early, no? Or is it confirmed it won't appear until the 22nd? Not that I'm saying being the only person in America downloading the patch early would be a WISE move...

Edit: If anyone is stupid enough to pay that much money for an XBone, they are probably stupid enough to hook it up and try to connect and end up getting his 10K console banned before it even launches lol.

Good Guy it seems? :)

LAST WEEK, I WAS ABLE TO GET ONTO THE TARGET.COM PRE-ORDER WEBSITE FOR A VERY BRIEF MOMENT AND PRE-ORDERS WERE AVAILABLE FOR THE XBOX ONE. I PLACED MY ORDER AND RECEIVED EMAIL CONFIRMATION RIGHT AWAY, HOWEVER THE XBOX ONE DIDN'T SHOW UP IN MY ORDER HISTORY AND SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED TOTALLY FROM TARGETS WEBSITE. I FOUND IT WEIRD THAT THE PRE-ORDER WAS TAKEN DOWN ONLY 1-2 MINUTES LATER. ANYWAYS, I THEN IMMEDIATELY RECEIVED AN EMAIL WITH A UPS TRACKING NUMBER STATING THE CONSOLE IS BEING PACKAGED FOR SHIPMENT. APPARENTLY, THERE WAS A MAJOR GLITCH AND SCREW-UP FROM THEIR END AND THIS ONE CONSOLE SLIPPED THROUGH THE CRACKS. I ASSUME MANY VENDORS MAY HAVE SOME IN THEIR FACTORIES AND MUST ABIDE BY THE GUIDELINES TO NOT SHIP THESE OUT UNTIL NOVEMBER 22ND.

I am a special education teacher and the profit from the auction will go toward my corporation to create products for Special Ed students.

0 bids so far, faith in humanity partially redeemed?

That massive wall of text sales spiel he put up is something to behold.

Doesn't Microsoft have a history of banning consoles when people log in with stuff before release dates? I wouldn't take it online yet ...

I honestly do not understand how this is even legal. If you bought the game from a retailer, how is it acceptable for Microsoft to ban your console?

Top Bottom