• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Lock if old

While this ban is a ‘temporary’ one, the user in question has confirmed though that he cannot play Call of Duty Ghosts offline, as according to him the game requires an internet connection to play. Just to note an important point in all of this, the user Moonlightswami has already installed the Xbox One ‘Day 1 patch’ which is thought to remove all previous DRM restrictions that Microsoft initially had in place.

He is providing an ongoing log via his Twitter account and adds that he cannot even access the system settings due to the ban. It goes without saying though that if he has already installed the Day One update, then he should be able to play through the COD Ghosts campaign, regardless of a temporary Xbox Live ban – correct?

Twitter comments at link:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/11/10/cod-ghosts-xbox-one-offline-not-possible-without-live/

Update in case you're confused why this thread is growing so fast:

PXG wrote this:

Imagine if online authentication was deactivated at the OS level, but was still possible from game to game.

And CBOAT answered with this:

Suggesting that PXG was there abouts with his comment.

Then we had this comment:

The fact that Albert and Major are "looking into it" just confirms to me DRM is alive and well (depending on pubs). Or XBL bans block offline and online play. Either way thats fucking horrible.

To which Albert replied:

It's neither. I just want to confirm before I post anything, it's that simple.

And now Penello is looking into it but he's gone missing in action until he can get more clarification.

Major Nelson also tweeted something similar but it was removed for a while. When it returned he'd added 'this' on the end of the sentence. Some speculated that he might have fainted and hit the return with his forehead but that's purely speculation at this point.

UPDATE 2 (The important one!)

FYI it's 11pm on a Sunday, so people aren't exactly quick to respond to work email. I wanted to check in before I shut-down for the evening. This is what I believe is going on:

We still have two more weeks before launch - the console is in a pre-release state. We are doing regular updates - I personally took one a few minutes before he posted. His build is now old. This is why we were saying we didn't want people on early - it's not done yet.

This behavior is only because we are in pre-release. When we launch, console will work exactly as you expect today on 360.

For sure this has nothing to do with requiring a connection. There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it.

This also has nothing to do with COD. The Day One update just brings the SW up to date with the latest versions vs. what's on the box. But there is no 24 check in, that's for sure.

Update 3 (Are you ready for this?)

screenshot2013-11-112iyubh.png

Steel

Banned
Hmmm I wonder if they're currently trying to fix this issue.... Also I hope that it isn't activision who built this into to the next-gen versions, cause then ps4 would have it too. Then again, if acti did I wouldn't really care because I'm boycotting COD

Salex_

Lol, for some reason this is what I thought of when opening this thread.
store-crowd-black-friday-blur-615cs112212.jpg

OT: This is terrible if it's true.

Mikey Jr.

Not even being able to play offline is all kinds of fucked.

I don't give a flying fuck if your console is banned or not. No company should ever have the power to make a system completely inoperable.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Wow, they put you in jail, and don't even let you get to play with the toys! That's rough.

If this is true it's a huge knock against the Xbone. I haven't payed for Live Gold for the last 2 years and I would be positively livid if this prevented me from playing local games.

UberTag

This is some shit. The question is is it related to the previous Xbone DRM? Or is it an Activision choice?
Even if it's a "publisher choice" if the majority of big first/third party publishers mandate persistent online connections for offline play (ala SimCity) because of "Cloud benefits", the "always online" battle will have been for naught.

Sure, "the console" won't be imposing the restriction but if it's hard-coded into the software it won't make a lick of difference anyhow.

Beant

I don't think we have enough information here, the console isn't supposed to be out for almost 2 weeks still.

Steel

Banned
So THAT's why the PS4 box said Offline Enabled (taken from here)

e4uKhTG.png

Well.... That's interesting. If this is still the case on launch day Microsoft dun fucked up. Then again with all the wireless routers nowadays it might take a bit for people to notice.

sakipon

Unless the patch he has isn't final yet? I mean the console is still awhile out.

That's what I thought. The firmware update might not be the final one, just a temporary version for reviewers and whoever else needing to test early.

Justin

Yesterday he said he could play offline. I wonder if the said this so people would stop asking him questions that he said he wouldn't answer and now he is going to cause another shit storm.

It's because the day one patch isn't out yet right? Seriously people this isn't something to worry about until launch its clear MS doesn't want anyone doing anything yet so please chill damn.

Top Bottom